Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yesssss

:gizz: :circlefap: :fap: :shlick: :allears: :hawaaaafap: :newfap: :swoon:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Whoa there buddy!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bananalogue posted:

prolly gonna replace my 2011 iMac next year but dunno what with yet, current lineup isn't really exciting me tbh

the retinal imac op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol forever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I was at frys in the late nineties and saw a woman lug a flower power iMac into her cart after asking the sales clerk if it had a spell checker

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

theadder posted:

the retinal imac op

leaning toward a retina mbp but not gonna be soon and it'll just complement the iMac rather than replace it

was looking though the licenses for my music stuff and god dammit Korg's poo poo can only be installed on one machine at a time and it's enforced by a one-time auth code, there goes $200

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
a while ago I picked up a Mac IIci, since I no longer have the one my family bought as I was entering high school.

I've owned a Lisa 2/10 for 17 years now, the last time I powered it on it still worked though the screen had developed a vertical roll. I have a pic of it and its innards somewhere.

I learned to program before the Mac existed, on an Apple II+ with Logo at school, and then my family bought an Apple //c (with a mouse!) since it was more affordable then. when my family was buying the //c I sat down at a Lisa in the shop and a salesperson said "Don't touch that, it cost more than you did." rear end in a top hat.

I've had a variety of Macs myself. I sold the IIci and bought a Centris 610 on clearance with the money, when I went to college I sold my car and bought a PowerBook 520, I also bought a PowerMac 7100/66, then a beige PowerMac G3 tower and a "Wall Street" PowerBook G3, then a 400MHz blue & white G3 and a 667 MHz titanium PowerBook G4 which were my main workhorses for years across first MacOS 9 (not "OS 9," I didn't use a CoCo) and OS X 10.0 through 10.3.

since moving out to the Bay Area, I've solely bought portables as my main systems. almost the last model of 15in PowerBook G4 in 2005, the first model MacBook Pro 15, a 2008 and 2010 MacBook Pro 15, and I'm currently using a 2012 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display as my personal system.

for retro I've also picked up a Mac Plus (you can see it in my old office window) and a Mac IIx. I also picked up a Newton MessagePad 2100 and an eMate 300 that I recently pulled out to show some coworkers, that was fun. and recently, since it may count for this thread, a 66 MHz BeBox with a finicky CD-ROM drive. (it doesn't like CD-R/CD-RW media, and I don't want to use 20 year old original media to restore I...)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
christ ive made a lot of really bad decisions wrt computer hardware.
here are some of them:

computers that were my main computer at some point:
IIci
powerbook 5300ce, yeea get dat fire-batt
performa 6400/200, integrated subwoofer whattt
G3 yosemite 450MHz, scsi boot drive, 20GB ide for mass storage, what was a ton of ram to middle-school me, ballin

computers that were my dads / the familys:
powermac 7500/100, later upgraded with a G3 Sonnett card and a PCI voodoo5
G4 lampshade imac
G5 slab imac
some hackintosh thing i threw together cause the G5 was a bit long in the tooth in 2009 or whatever
imac 7,1 that hes still using

computers that ive ended up with somehow but werent used regularly:
IIsi
quadra 650 and centris to match
another G3 yosemite, i think this one was a 350MHz
lombard G3 powerbook
snow G3 ibook
like 3 macs mini, i think one was a G4 and the other two were pre-slim intels
a few other imacs 7,1 for parts

there was a quicksilver i could have had for free but didnt take because i am an idiot

yospos bithc

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 7, 2014

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also I now have one of these to use as a slow but giant (and silent!) HD on my Mac Plus

he just got support for both floppy and HD images working, as well as write support for HD images, so it can either emulate an attached floppy drive or an HD20

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

here's my Lisa 2/10 from the front, as I was unpacking it after moving into our apartment:

it was manufactured in February 1984.

and here are its innards, ooh-la-la:

the lisa was designed in part by minicomputer people so it had an expansion bus to the side (behind the floppy drive(s) and hard drive) separate from its main bus. the main bus was in a card cage and you can see the CPU, I/O, and RAM boards (the smaller ones).

the RAM boards supply what was for the time a whopping 1MB of DRAM, hypothetically they could provide up to 8MB.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i used a mac for a couple of things in the late 80s and immediately thought "holy poo poo this is a garbage computer for idiots" but the first time i saw osx i swooned a bit but i couldn't afford to buy one until a couple of years ago

now i'm mackin' full time and it rules

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

despite the terrible design flaws the lamp imac was a high point

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Trig Discipline posted:

i used a mac for a couple of things in the late 80s and immediately thought "holy poo poo this is a garbage computer for idiots" but the first time i saw osx i swooned a bit but i couldn't afford to buy one until a couple of years ago

now i'm mackin' full time and it rules

that is the opposite of what this thread is about please start your own thread for operating system turncoats

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
more macintosh bible (1996) quotin:

quote:

On-Line Etiquette: Ten Rules (JH)

If you’ve ever visited France and watched American tourists shouting English orders at scowling Parisians, you know that it pays to do your homework and learn the local lingo. Violate the rules of on-line behavior and you’ll be branded a clueless newbie, a newcomer who doesn’t have the decency even to pick up the basics. Okay, you’re warned. Study these few rules and you just may be mistaken for a veteran.

1. DON’T TYPE IN ALL CAPS! It’s hard to read and it looks like YOU’RE SHOUTING!

2. [It’s OK to type like a banshee e.e. cummings; all lowercase is fine if perhaps a trace too hip. Always put two carriage returns at the end of each paragraph. And keep the grafs short.—DJS]

3. Quote a relevant piece of a message to which you’re replying, just enough to give needed context, but not the entire message. Nothing looks more idiotic than quoting an entire enormous message, followed by your reply: “Thanks for the tip!”

4. Don’t delete messages to which you reply. In a public message forum, the original message helps others follow the conversation.

5. Address people by their first names—it may not be proper in a business letter, but it’s standard on-line.

6. Stay out of flame wars. Just stay out. Life’s too short and nothing ever, not ever, gets settled. Remember: The best way to extinguish a flame is to deprive it of fuel. Corollary: You’ll never have the last word, because there’s always a fool with even more time
to waste.

7. Reread your messages before you post them. You’ll be surprised how often you reconsider and decide to tone down the language.

8. Use smileys and emoticons, but sparingly (see the sidebar “Of Acronyms and Emoticons” later in this chapter). It’s sometimes important to give readers a clue to your state of mind, but you might try writing so that they’re not needed. You don’t see Dave Barry peppering his column with little smiley faces, do you?

9. Give back as you take. Seek help, but don’t forget to help others.

10. Finally, give the clueless newbies a break.

i'm the 90s dave barry reference :allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh man hotline owned

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

oh man hotline owned

to read the rest of this post, click on the second banner link, then enter the fourth word on the last sentence of the page

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

speaking of which, astalavista is still running :monocle:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i 'owned' a few macs in elementary school if you know what i mean

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i 'owned' a few macs in elementary school if you know what i mean

I don't, OP. Please continue.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

triple sulk posted:

I don't, OP. Please continue.

i changed their desktop background to 'macs suck'

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lord funk posted:

to read the rest of this post, click on the second banner link, then enter the fourth word on the last sentence of the page

you know what else was fun? avara

also bolo over AppleTalk

holy poo poo iOS still catches AppleTalk and autocapitalizes it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it also capitalized hypercard

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

one summer my dad and I ran a new phone line between my room and his office so we could have a dedicated AppleTalk lan connection to play bolo over

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
pro dad

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
nettrek was a cool lan game for old rear end macs

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Binary Badger posted:

still have an Extended Keyboard II NIB, never bought the ADB to USB converter

:eyepop:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

oh yeah i forgot about the radius displays

Radius made a display that consisted of letter-sized CRT which could be rotated from portrait to landscape

you could work on your spreadsheets in widescreen then woosh! craft yr full-size pages in portrait with no scrolling

we had a *bunch* of these.

cannae remember what they were called.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have used Macs since the Mac LC II/III, OP, and prior to that IIe's and IIGS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

buttcrackmenace posted:

Radius made a display that consisted of letter-sized CRT which could be rotated from portrait to landscape

you could work on your spreadsheets in widescreen then woosh! craft yr full-size pages in portrait with no scrolling

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

buttcrackmenace posted:

Yeah my Pop had one of those hooked up to his IIci. It was the loving bomb (but he only had the B&W one as it was mostly for desktop publishing)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i can't imagine doing desktop publishing in black and white

i imagine you had to print things out a lot, or did they only ever do black and white design on those?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

buttcrackmenace posted:

radius pivot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh5175Q4Vgo

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

COMPUTER

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

i imagine you had to print things out a lot, or did they only ever do black and white design on those?

probably mostly B&W stuff. which they'd then print out on their B&W Apple LaserWriter.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

color printers weren't invented until 1993 so using a b&w monitor was ok.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
COMPUTER !!!!!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

COMPUTER !!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

carry on then posted:

If it's a lot of printed words, it was just fine. Pictures were actually still being pasteboarded.

• Locked thread