Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh god I lost to the first labyrinth boss. I feel bad. Is level 8 too low?
I did that at level 9 on Hard. Having at least one form of AoE helps but really isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is it just me or does the story, post 4th dungeon, really has a lot of parallels to Persona 1? Niko/Rei's situation reminds me a lot of Maki.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What does Aeon Rain do? I just got a skill card for it (and Power Charge, but what that does is obvious) and I don't wanna go hunting for a persona with it so I can figure it out. Don't wanna waste it.

stayfrostycc
Jul 30, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

What does Aeon Rain do? I just got a skill card for it (and Power Charge, but what that does is obvious) and I don't wanna go hunting for a persona with it so I can figure it out. Don't wanna waste it.

If you go to use it, it will say what it does on the bottom of the screen before you select who to use it on.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm not going to feel bad about Impure Reach/instant kill any more, because these FOEs have not killed fewer than four party members at a time with Mahamaon yet, including always hitting Naoto, who resists it.

Edit: Do the main personas evolve? I just hit level 55 with P3MC and got what appears to be Orpheus' last ability, and he only has three.

Amazing. I bought accessories for two other party members to help them resist light. Fought the FOE, hit it with Tentarafoo, extended it with Stagnant Air, had it almost killed before panic wore off. Missed with the second Tentarafoo, it used Mahamaon, full party wipe even with three people with resist light.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 8, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Mahamaon, full party wipe even with three people with resist light.

The real Shin Megami Tensei starts here.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Armor-Piercing posted:

Edit: Do the main personas evolve? I just hit level 55 with P3MC and got what appears to be Orpheus' last ability, and he only has three.

Yes. It unlocks once you beat Margaret in a quest that opens up during the fifth labyrinth.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Yes. It unlocks once you beat Margaret in a quest that opens up during the fifth labyrinth.

i'm pretty sure it's when both protagonists are level 55. i got it before i was finished with the fourth.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

i'm pretty sure it's when both protagonists are level 55. i got it before i was finished with the fourth.

Oh, that'd make sense, since I got it once I finished the first labyrinth on NG+.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vengarr posted:

When it says characters belong in the front or back row, they're just talking about their weapons. As in, the bog-standard "Attack" command that you'll pretty much never use.

I will say that Attack does have one use: those 1 DMG weapons you tend to pick up from the dungeon also come stacked with debuff bonuses, so if you want to hit a certain debuff they're a pretty cool way to apply them without having to use Persona skills.

Also while I haven't found one yet, a weapon that's stacked with Crit might serve you on your mage to get a crit + free cast of whatever expensive spell you want.

Vengarr posted:

Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

I think it's something like 125% while in party, 25% while in reserve.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Whoa, FOEs will wander into normal fights if you get an encounter in their area. That's pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Whoa, FOEs will wander into normal fights if you get an encounter in their area. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, that's a classic Etrian Odyssey thing. It's kinda underused in PQ.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Okay, so I just encountered the Old Doll on the 4th level of the Evil Spirits Club. Wow, this thing is PURE BULLSHIT. No wonder I saw some chatting about it upthread. It seems like binding magic is the only choice I really have against this thing, who's the best party member to give Makajam to?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Could just not fight it and do the dungeon gimmick, dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, so I just encountered the Old Doll on the 4th level of the Evil Spirits Club. Wow, this thing is PURE BULLSHIT. No wonder I saw some chatting about it upthread. It seems like binding magic is the only choice I really have against this thing, who's the best party member to give Makajam to?

It's vulnerable to Light insta-kills.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

Could just not fight it and do the dungeon gimmick, dude.

It seems to catch up with me regardless, so frankly I'd rather just be able to kill it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems to catch up with me regardless, so frankly I'd rather just be able to kill it.

That's because it can move 2 spaces in a straight line for each step you take. Corners, even artificial ones, are your friend when escaping.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Also you're going to miss the satisfaction of actually solving the gimmick.

I pretty much jumped from excitement when I solved it.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
gently caress the Inaba Pride festival. I've fallen to killing the FOEs by abusing Blaze Oil and Healing Harp as well as Decay Circle because I can't figure out what the hell they want from me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lunar Suite posted:

gently caress the Inaba Pride festival. I've fallen to killing the FOEs by abusing Blaze Oil and Healing Harp as well as Decay Circle because I can't figure out what the hell they want from me.

There really isn't much to the Pride Festival. Light the torches, move through the doors. Later on, move through the gateways in the correct order, then move through the doors. If you give more specific descriptions of where you are, more specific advice can probably be given.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lunar Suite posted:

The FOEs in Inaba Pride are really too weak to justify worrying about the puzzles. Except for the shrine-carrying FOE, that guy will gently caress you up good but he's also the easiest to avoid.

Most egregiously, the stairs in Floor 2 are blocked off by an FOE and the other characters wants you to go the long way across the entire labyrinth to avoid him. Except you can kill him as soon as he shows up without any trouble. Except that the next floor requires you to bring a torch with you, and the only way to get that torch is to do the whole floor anyway! :shepicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really need Binding Hands and some good binds because I am getting really loving tired of these gold hands dodging me. Also the FOEs in Inaba Pride somehow manage to dodge Tentarafoo 90% of the time even though I have Impure Reach. Then they just become obnoxious battles of attrition where they put me to sleep over and over again. There's no way I'm losing to them but dragging the fight out for so long is annoying.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You can fight multiple FOEs at once, too. It gives a ton of exp.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Vengarr posted:

The FOEs in Inaba Pride are really too weak to justify worrying about the puzzles. Except for the shrine-carrying FOE, that guy will gently caress you up good but he's also the easiest to avoid.

Most egregiously, the stairs in Floor 2 are blocked off by an FOE and the other characters wants you to go the long way across the entire labyrinth to avoid him. Except you can kill him as soon as he shows up without any trouble. Except that the next floor requires you to bring a torch with you, and the only way to get that torch is to do the whole floor anyway! :shepicide:

My first experience with the festival dudes was getting my entire team one shot for over twice their max hp by its random target slash attack. I promptly went back with 3 guys with death's scythe skillcards and killed it before panic could run out. Speaking of death's scythe, that passive seems insanely powerful, I think it's doubling my damage against panicing FOEs roughly.
I really like the floor gimmicks of the 4th labyrinth, even if brute forcing through the floors would be really easy.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really need Binding Hands and some good binds because I am getting really loving tired of these gold hands dodging me.

the game never tells you this, but panicking enemies also makes them unable to dodge. it's seriously the best ailment in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

the game never tells you this, but panicking enemies also makes them unable to dodge. it's seriously the best ailment in the game.

I know it does because I've been using it on FOEs for the past couple labyrinths, but that poo poo has appalling accuracy even with Impure Reach. Maybe Tentarafoo is just bad.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really need Binding Hands and some good binds because I am getting really loving tired of these gold hands dodging me. Also the FOEs in Inaba Pride somehow manage to dodge Tentarafoo 90% of the time even though I have Impure Reach. Then they just become obnoxious battles of attrition where they put me to sleep over and over again. There's no way I'm losing to them but dragging the fight out for so long is annoying.

You can fight multiple FOEs at once, too. It gives a ton of exp.

At this point you should really have samael plus you can get some pretty good bind cards off different personas. I ended sticking them on Minato.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Does Samael have the skill card for it? There's no point in downgrading that much for him, I'd rather just take the card and put the skill on my MC since he doesn't have much to do right now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does Samael have the skill card for it? There's no point in downgrading that much for him, I'd rather just take the card and put the skill on my MC since he doesn't have much to do right now.

Somebody posted a QR code for an awesome Samael earlier, I'd take that and fuse his abilities up.

Although I rarely see much value from Magic/Strength bind, it seems like most enemies against whom it would be really useful are just straight-up immune. I tested Salome's Kiss+Binding Hands on the Lovely Doll, and the only one that ever hit was Agility Bind. It's gonna spam MaMudo and Megidola and you're going to like it die

Agility Bind is always useful though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Agility Bind is the most important one anyway since Kanji and Aigis have problems hitting things. Especially with Myriad Arrows, which is what I want them to hit people with in the first place.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Vengarr posted:

Although I rarely see much value from Magic/Strength bind, it seems like most enemies against whom it would be really useful are just straight-up immune. I tested Salome's Kiss+Binding Hands on the Lovely Doll, and the only one that ever hit was Agility Bind.

You just got unlucky. You'll know straight up if something is immune to an attack because the Null icon will pop up. I know for a fact that Old Dolls and Lovely Dolls can be Magic Bound because that's how I beat them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Agility Bind is the most important one anyway since Kanji and Aigis have problems hitting things. Especially with Myriad Arrows, which is what I want them to hit people with in the first place.

Try putting Aim Goggles on them (the better accuracy improvement accessory). Kanji hits better than 50% of his Myriad Arrows shots against most enemies with them on even without Sukaja/Sukunda assistance.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Probably a silly question but if you never played Persona 3 or 4 is this game worth playing?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Probably a silly question but if you never played Persona 3 or 4 is this game worth playing?

If you've played the Etrian Odyssey games and just want more of that type of gameplay I'd say yes. The game's had a lot more interesting labyrinths than EO4 has, but at the same time it's really easy to break the game over your knee.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
just be aware that there are a lot of references you aren't going to get.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Not really, the gameplay is great but the story assumes you played 4 and probably 3 as well. It's not going to explain anything beyond the barest basics of the characters, it'll spoil a few plot points for both games, and generally won't be as enjoyable.

Go play P4, it's a classic. P3 is great too, just play P3P since it back-ported most of the gameplay improvements from P4.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Old Doll update: it kept following me until I got trapped between it and a babby FOE, whereupon I got super lucky and got an instant kill on it. Which makes me wonder what the hell I was supposed to have done about it.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2014

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

StandardVC10 posted:

Old Doll update: it kept following me until I got trapped between it and a babby FOE, whereupon I got super lucky and got an instant kill on it. Which makes me wonder what the hell I was supposed to do about it.

The intended method is to trap it between the two lights that're roughly at the center of the map Now that I've got the myriad arrow crew up and running I'm going to go kill it again without using hamaon on principle.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It's a lot more satisfying to evaporate it IMO, because gently caress that thing, seriously.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Seriously Old Doll has nearly 10k HP and Diarahan, it's such a slog to fight legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
You don't even need agility bind for myriad arrows to gently caress poo poo up. Panic also makes the enemies unable to dodge them. Yosuke with impure reach + Tentarafoo and then Akihiko with Myriad Arrows + Death's Scythe + Warrior's Mark is devastatingly amazing.

• Locked thread