Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I had to go back about 10 pages because I knew I had seen that image before. It seems that it was a poor edit to get the racists to out themselves.

I found an article about the image. Going down a few paragraphs on this page.

Thanks for this, I'm sending this picture right back to my mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Fake edit: of course there are the stories my mom tells about her dad sitting on the porch with a rifle during "race riots"

Oh hey, your mom does this too?

A lot of my extended family is pretty moderate. It's only when someone brings up black people that the real conservative rhetoric starts flying. Only black people too, there never seems to be a lot of anger directed toward other minorities. I wonder what they did to make my family hate them so much.

Sad part is, looking back on my childhood I bought into a lot of it because my parents fed it to me. I like to think that I've long since shaken that off. I know a lot of goons here on SA have probably had a similar experience growing up, but it still bugs me that there are probably some racist trappings lodged in the back of my brain somewhere from that kind of upbringing.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I really dislike Facebook but make sure I check up every now and then because man, does my family sure have a lot of people that hate black people in it. This recently popped up and while the entire exchange is pretty much exactly what you'd expect, the line of 'Obama would be impeached by now if he was white' is pretty precious. The exchange was a result of the picture posted.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 8, 2014

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Might want to anonymize those names (socialfixer or photoshop/paint). I think it's a general rule in the thread.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CowHammer posted:

Might want to anonymize those names (socialfixer or photoshop/paint). I think it's a general rule in the thread.

I suppose -- I'll fix it up here.]

e: done

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 8, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Phoneposting this gem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Techno Remix posted:

Sad part is, looking back on my childhood I bought into a lot of it because my parents fed it to me. I like to think that I've long since shaken that off. I know a lot of goons here on SA have probably had a similar experience growing up, but it still bugs me that there are probably some racist trappings lodged in the back of my brain somewhere from that kind of upbringing.

My family was probably way less racist than most, and even I used to think that all rap was terrible and dumb and that "there are niggers and there are black people" was a reasonable thing to say (because it's okay as long as you also acknowledge the existence of "white trash", you see). I think it's largely the fact that so many of us had less racist upbringings than most - yet still ended up believing a bunch of racist poo poo - that we understand how firmly ingrained it is in our culture. After all, if our families were less racist than average, how loving terrible must the average person be?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

totalnewbie posted:

I wouldn't help those uppity indignants either.

Haha why you go to church. Because Jesus was NOT one to help poor people.

Yes this was my thought process

Giant loving gold crosses dangling down their necks and slicked back hair talking about the filthy moolies.

I wonder if I'm adopted sometimes.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that white snow is pushing down on those black branches pretty hard...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Snow is so pure and fluffy what you really have to watch out for is that devious black ice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got this one in my feed, from my wife's lesbian Democrat aunt, no less.

Whole lot of people saying he was stupid or racist, but nobody putting up any quotes or statements they found particularly egregiouss.

For them to dislike this guy so thoroughly and vehemently, he must have said something really wrong or out of line!

:shrug:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Snow is so pure and fluffy what you really have to watch out for is that devious black ice.

Hehhhh

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Racism literally permeates everything lol

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Randandal posted:

Phoneposting this gem

Not seeing the crazy here. This person is absolutely right and justifiably pissed off?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Saw this on imgur and it applies so much to everything in this thread:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Look man, he didn't come up with "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas", he just calls 'em like he sees 'em. :colbert:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

lowercase16 posted:

Not seeing the crazy here. This person is absolutely right and justifiably pissed off?

But but but it's BLACK racism guuuuuuuuuuuys!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mo_Steel posted:

Look man, he didn't come up with "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas", he just calls 'em like he sees 'em. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvLeQbwuKys

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lowercase16 posted:

Randandal is a pretty standard American "I didn't say the n word" racist, so he gets hurt inside every time a black person doesn't just take yjeir licks in stoic silence.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Randandal posted:

Phoneposting this gem

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah but that's over it's not like people are shooting at protest marchers anymore

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah but that's over it's not like people are shooting at protest marchers anymore

Why shoot yourself when you have the police to do the job for you.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

How have I never heard this before? :allears: It's beautiful.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

For extra fun play "Guess which letter they used" with the edited bit. The hardest one is the B since that wasn't one of the original ones.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

lowercase16 posted:

I'm hoping it's part of a multifaceted multi-character long-term forums exercise by Discendo Vox, on the value of tone arguments and politeness theory.

e: in case there's any confusion, i do think the justifiably pissed off person in the quoted post is correct. just expecting some amount of disagreement about how they expressed their views in a non-persuasive way.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Randandal posted:

Phoneposting this gem

Did you see something wrong with it?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Taerkar posted:

For extra fun play "Guess which letter they used" with the edited bit. The hardest one is the B since that wasn't one of the original ones.

I got every single one and then looked at the B and realized there wasn't a B anywhere in the original sign, then noticed the top right corner and figured out they took the R from "her" and copied the loop.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Techno Remix posted:

Oh hey, your mom does this too?

A lot of my extended family is pretty moderate. It's only when someone brings up black people that the real conservative rhetoric starts flying. Only black people too, there never seems to be a lot of anger directed toward other minorities. I wonder what they did to make my family hate them so much.

For my family, I think it's because a lot of them were poor rural hillbillies that were part of a mass exodus to the cities for work after the Depression and during the War. There were a lot of racial tensions then because of all the people crammed together, the competition for jobs, and from being previously so isolated.

Doesn't excuse it, but it at least explains it.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
I feel for cops who put their life on the line and it ends up in tragedy. I guess the answer is to shoot first, and be cleared/not charged later.

I want to post stats/names of people killed "in the line of duty" while working "normal" jobs and see how that adds up.

Parent chat: my mom once told me she's rather I come out as gay than to date a black girl. :( I did however go to prom with a super cool black gal and she had no problem with it. Unlike the rest of my family she isn't outwardly racist, and has never said anything racist(beyond this). This was in the mid 90s FWIW. Not that it excuses it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I'm reading the same list of officers,
http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/12/11-law-enforcement-officers-killed/

Half were killed in traffic accidents.
(and one heart attack)
I really feel for those officers, our roads are meat-grinders on a national level and we really need to find a better way of moving people around that doesn't kill a hundred people a day.

Edit: one of the car crashes was caused by a heart attack, so that's two heart attacks.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 9, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Techno Remix posted:

Had the same experience growing up, and only noticed it when I was looking back during college. I think the most hilarious thing though was finally figuring out that my grandmother (who is a very stereotypical southern belle) was actually being incredibly condescending and sarcastic when handing out complements. My dad took another year or so to figure it out, and only figured it out after my stepmother pointed it out to him.

It really put a whole bunch of stuff into context, especially when my uncle married a woman with darker complexion (no idea on race; never met her in person) and my grandmother started talking about her in what seemed to be a positive light.

I hate how insidious a lot of this stuff is. Racism is, quite frankly, loving everywhere and in just about every interaction between people. Old white dudes that I work with approach me and assume that I'm just as much of a racist shithead as they are, almost everyone who isn't white that I work with acts incredibly deferential to me at work even though I'm the lowest person in the hierarchy. It's frankly somewhat embarrassing to get that attitude from someone when I talk to them and they have a decade or more of experience over me on this particular job.

I still can't get over my racist coworker who spouts the idea that this particular wave of immigrants (Mexicans, but not the Chinese, the Chinese are fine, except when they aren't, as he loudly says around two people who work with us that immigrated from Taiwan) doesn't integrate, despite the fact that his Mexican wife, whose parent immigrated, speaks perfect English, and their son doesn't speak Spanish at all. The sheer quantity of cognitive dissonance is absolutely horrifying to me.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Look at all these cops killed in the line of duty, that totally justifies them killing unarmed people"
because, you know, people are mad that cops killed a person and not an unarmed person who wasn't a threat

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Duke Igthorn posted:

"Look at all these cops killed in the line of duty, that totally justifies them killing unarmed people"
because, you know, people are mad that cops killed a person and not an unarmed person who wasn't a threat

Look at all those cops; what color are they?

Look at all the victims of high publicity police killings; what color are they?

There's some of that siege mentality again. "Hey look white police are dying! We need to kill more non-white non-police to make sure this doesn't happen!"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Look at all those cops; what color are they?

Look at all the victims of high publicity police killings; what color are they?

There's some of that siege mentality again. "Hey look white police are dying! We need to kill more non-white non-police to make sure this doesn't happen!"

They even mention that they were "routine traffic stops". The implication being, I guess, that every traffic stop should begin with guns drawn and a warning shot?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

hamster_style posted:

Parent chat: my mom once told me she's rather I come out as gay than to date a black girl. :( I did however go to prom with a super cool black gal and she had no problem with it. Unlike the rest of my family she isn't outwardly racist, and has never said anything racist(beyond this). This was in the mid 90s FWIW. Not that it excuses it.

My aunt actually told me the same thing. Then when Obama got elected she went full blown racist nutbar.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How many of those cop killers were brought to justice?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The very first guy on the list died of a heart attack so I would say the killer was brought to pretty swift justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Some of those 'cop killers' include things like a tractor-trailer tipping over and crushing a squad car (truck driver has been arrested and charged) and some teenagers plowing headfirst into a cop (the teenage driver and two passengers died in the crash).

I mean there are also actual line-of-duty death-by-suspects there, like a cop who was shot in an armed robbery (both people involved have been arrested) and a deputy that was killed when a crazy dude set fire to his house and started shooting at the first responders (he was shot and killed on the scene). These things don't get a huge media circus because they are either tragic accidents or pretty rapidly resolved, and there isn't much controversy or much else to be done - the cop is dead, the guy that shot him is dead, everyone hates that guy and thinks he was justly shot. The officer had a vigil with thousands of people. There isn't a lot else to say about it.

As a sidenote, I was looking up more information on the second one and it appears that the dispatchers were fired for not properly relaying information that the guy at the fire might be armed. I wonder if that will happen to the dispatchers who failed to alert police that Timar's gun might not be real?

People desperately want to build a picture that police are under siege by criminals and ne'er do wells, so that their only possible response can be increased aggressive and fear. The reality is that while cops die on duty (and some of those deaths are caused by suspects), it isn't that dangerous for most of them most of the time. The deputy that was killed responding to a fire? He was the first county deputy to die in the line of duty in 100 years. What happened to him was terrible, but it seems like being a Leon County deputy is actually a very safe job.