Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If there was one too many, then I think the one was Komodo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but they only introduced Komodo because they were specifically seeking someone who uses a bow.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rhas Al Ghul being behind Sara's murder is just so drat obvious. I'm hoping Thea killed her solely because it would give Willa Holland something to do.

Outside of the Corto Maltese episode, she's had literally nothing to do. They started something with the idea of her and Oliver sharing a flat, and then ignored it.

I feel like the show is struggling to tell meaningful stories these past few episodes, and there's all these juicy veins to tell stories that are being ignored.

I think they are still sharing a flat, but the crossovers happened right after they moved in together so there wasn't any room to explore that aspect further. We did however see Malcolm stalking Ollie and Thea from a balcony across the street and he was clearly bothered by the fact that they are becoming close again, so I bet there's more of it to come soon.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kibayasu posted:

Not every villain on The Flash is a speed character. I don't disagree with him at least. Season 1 and 2 were fine, even when the League showed up with their own bows in 2 since we still had Deathstroke but now we've had two kind of D-list villains (their first suspect for Sara's death, Cupid) show up with their own bows and its starting to get a little tired. Captain Boomerang was great for multiple reasons, but I'd be lying if I said thinking "Finally, someone who doesn't use a bow" wasn't a small part of it.

I hear you. What I find really odd is that, in season one, there were characters who were actually able to just nonchalantly catch arrows, which is not only a pretty cool imagine on its own, it also shows that Ollie needs to find a different way to fight that guy. The Flash crossover was great with that, too. It would just be great to have someone like this back on the show and have him go up against Ollie

What is, like I said, the main reason I am so happy the League is in the picture. DC has tone of weird, gimmicky assassins and pretty much all of them were retconed to be part of the League at one point or another, so I hope we will see something but masked mooks. We had plenty of that last season.

I am also kinda disappointed they never did much with China White or Brozen Tiger. I think Arrow would work a lo better if Ollie wouldn't catch the criminal in the end every time.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2014

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

e X posted:

I am also kinda disappointed they never did much with China White or Brozen Tiger. I think Arrow would work a lo better if Ollie wouldn't catch the criminal in the end every time.

That's why I was so happy with the suicide squad ep because it gave us more Michael Jai White. This season has felt a little sluggish so far, crossover naturally excluded because jesus gently caress, and doing more colourful villains like Boomerang and Bronze Tiger and letting them have more screen time and maybe another ep or two could have alleviated that while we waited for the DNA test.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Martout posted:

That's why I was so happy with the suicide squad ep because it gave us more Michael Jai White. This season has felt a little sluggish so far, crossover naturally excluded because jesus gently caress, and doing more colourful villains like Boomerang and Bronze Tiger and letting them have more screen time and maybe another ep or two could have alleviated that while we waited for the DNA test.

At least we have the Black Dynamite series.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
As a side note, do we have any indication that Arrow is becoming more skilled as time goes on?

With The Flash, we know that his speed is used as the main measure of his effectiveness, and he has been getting consistently faster with each episode. Running up a building, running on water, delivering the "flash punch" or whatever are used as plot points to highlight the increase in his power. With Arrow though, Ollie seems to possess roughly the same martial prowess since the first season, both in archery and hand-to-hand combat. I get the sense that he peaked before the show actually started. We have seen him get a fancy new composite bow and a lighter armor, but I'm trying to determine if his fighting skills have improved.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

enraged_camel posted:

As a side note, do we have any indication that Arrow is becoming more skilled as time goes on?

With The Flash, we know that his speed is used as the main measure of his effectiveness, and he has been getting consistently faster with each episode. Running up a building, running on water, delivering the "flash punch" or whatever are used as plot points to highlight the increase in his power. With Arrow though, Ollie seems to possess roughly the same martial prowess since the first season, both in archery and hand-to-hand combat. I get the sense that he peaked before the show actually started. We have seen him get a fancy new composite bow and a lighter armor, but I'm trying to determine if his fighting skills have improved.

I'd say that Arrow handles Ollie's progression in two stages: first, there's the flashback arcs, which directly handle Ollie's progression as a fighter and show how he got his skillset. In the Starling storyline, however, Ollie has more or less peaked, with his advances in combat ability largely being handled via his use of newer trick arrows; instead, the focus there is on Ollie's progression as a human being. When Ollie returned from the island, he was a massive piece of poo poo with absolutely no regard for human life. In his mind, there was only the mission. While Ollie is unarguably still a bad person, he's slowly but surely become less of a monster, and the focus of this season seems to be finally letting Ollie be a human being alongside being the Arrow.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

e X posted:

It would just be great to have someone like this back on the show and have him go up against Ollie

Draken was already in the show, he was the lead henchman guy that Oliver fought in the pilot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

enraged_camel posted:

In an ideological world his progression would be an ideological one. He's gone from executing members of the working class to merely "nonlethally" torturing while "protecting" banks (he's done it twice!). The next step would be to realize "Huh, that's still a lovely thing to do"

Edit: removed a comment that actually belongs in the Flash thread!

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 9, 2014

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I'd say that Arrow handles Ollie's progression in two stages: first, there's the flashback arcs, which directly handle Ollie's progression as a fighter and show how he got his skillset. In the Starling storyline, however, Ollie has more or less peaked, with his advances in combat ability largely being handled via his use of newer trick arrows; instead, the focus there is on Ollie's progression as a human being. When Ollie returned from the island, he was a massive piece of poo poo with absolutely no regard for human life. In his mind, there was only the mission. While Ollie is unarguably still a bad person, he's slowly but surely become less of a monster, and the focus of this season seems to be finally letting Ollie be a human being alongside being the Arrow.

Even Oliver is subject to the law of diminishing returns

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

With Ollie having to take on all these metahuman ubermensch types, it seems like they're setting up a whole Dark Knight Returns aspect (where Ollie's old Batman, not GA from that story.) He's perpetually outmatched and broken down, and circling some drain of defeat all the time, but persisting in fighting because that's what he does.

I don't even think it's that he's getting worse, just that all these people keep showing up who are better. Fighting against impossible odds and laughing at the reaper, and so on.

The crossover event was pretty obsessed with Oliver coming to terms with his own purpose, given how physically superior Barry was. I'm sure when Ray Palmer gets to work, it'll explore Ollie's sense of relevance even more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

He doesn't have a teacher and he doesn't really teach since Roy seems to have his own useless flippy style, there's no real way for him to improve.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I think we can all agree that Roy flat out sucks at the moment.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Xealot posted:

With Ollie having to take on all these metahuman ubermensch types, it seems like they're setting up a whole Dark Knight Returns aspect (where Ollie's old Batman, not GA from that story.) He's perpetually outmatched and broken down, and circling some drain of defeat all the time, but persisting in fighting because that's what he does.

I don't even think it's that he's getting worse, just that all these people keep showing up who are better. Fighting against impossible odds and laughing at the reaper, and so on.

The crossover event was pretty obsessed with Oliver coming to terms with his own purpose, given how physically superior Barry was. I'm sure when Ray Palmer gets to work, it'll explore Ollie's sense of relevance even more.

I want a The Brave and the Bold show with random heroes teaming up each week so bad but I don't know if it would work without the buildup of characters in their own shows first.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Between Raysh Al Ghul and Shee Na Whee I'm hoping that the season ends with both past and present Oliver mispronouncing their names to piss them off and make them slip up.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Unusually low trajectory & partial DNA match? Sounds like Lil Conner to me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scyantific posted:

:siren:WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FROM THE MIDSEASON FINALE:siren:
Apparently here's a look at the ATOM exosuit.

Turns out the image was a fake, big surprise! :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Scyantific posted:

Turns out the image was a fake, big surprise! :v:

That's a weirdly complex hoax considering that the image looks like it came from a video recording of an episode preview/trailer from someone's TV and not just like "Hey here's a screenshot I took of a totally secret video only I have." Man I hope the real thing looks as good or better :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Maybe it was just a place holder effect that got shown by accident.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

enraged_camel posted:

I think we can all agree that Roy flat out sucks at the moment.

Roy had stretches of episodes where he disappeared last season too. I do wish they'd some scenes of Ollie training him more.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I think they've kinda wasted a lot of Roy's potential by not showing much of his relationship training with Ollie. Maybe the dude can't act? That would have been an interesting arc, and so far I haven't really seen why Roy would be so devoted to this guy who shot him and sent him to the hospital a few months back.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I think they've kinda wasted a lot of Roy's potential by not showing much of his relationship training with Ollie. Maybe the dude can't act? That would have been an interesting arc, and so far I haven't really seen why Roy would be so devoted to this guy who shot him and sent him to the hospital a few months back.

I was going to cite Teen Wolf as evidence he can act, but I can't remember him doing anything other than either being charming or a total dick. Also showering a lot or being otherwise moist. He's really funny though. Maybe they are just waiting for the darkness inside everybody to lighten up a bit?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Phenotype posted:

Aren't they always cutting scenes with Roy due to "time" and "pacing?" Kind of sucks though, you would think Ollie's relationship with his sidekick would be a major story element.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

imperialparadox posted:

Aren't they always cutting scenes with Roy due to "time" and "pacing?" Kind of sucks though, you would think Ollie's relationship with his sidekick would be a major story element.

I was really hoping for a riff on Roy's addiction arc, where the fallout of taking and being cured of Mirakuru left him desperate to be as strong as he briefly was. It'd make sense for Roy to miss being supernaturally strong, and to feel overwhelmed and weak as a regular person. And tweaking on a bunch of performance drugs would totally fit the show.

Of course, they went another way with it. Boo hoo he killed a cop. Whatever, Roy, you could punch through concrete; that was badass.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

They should have a several-episode mini-arc that is just all the poo poo that Roy is up to while he's off-screen. Could actually be funny if he's been doing "big deal" stuff in the background.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xealot posted:

I was really hoping for a riff on Roy's addiction arc, where the fallout of taking and being cured of Mirakuru left him desperate to be as strong as he briefly was. It'd make sense for Roy to miss being supernaturally strong, and to feel overwhelmed and weak as a regular person. And tweaking on a bunch of performance drugs would totally fit the show.

Of course, they went another way with it. Boo hoo he killed a cop. Whatever, Roy, you could punch through concrete; that was badass.

The Laurel substance arc was such a smashing success that they just had to replicate it for season 3.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

imperialparadox posted:

They should have a several-episode mini-arc that is just all the poo poo that Roy is up to while he's off-screen. Could actually be funny if he's been doing "big deal" stuff in the background.

Roy is the Zeppo

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I dont know posted:

The Laurel substance arc was such a smashing success that they just had to replicate it for season 3.

Drunk Laurel was best Laurel. :colbert:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

imperialparadox posted:

Agreed. Off the wagon Laurel was awesome as hell.

And addict Roy would be amazing. Just, throwing his bow down and beating goons barehanded until Ollie pulls him off. Ripping car doors off the hinges again with roid strength...it'd be great.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

imperialparadox posted:

Only once she was fully off the wagon and lashing out at Sara and the rest of her family. For most of the season, any screen time with Laurel was excruciating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did we ever find out exactly how Sara joined the League? I can't recall.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Did we ever find out exactly how Sara joined the League? I can't recall.

She was found by Nyssa some time after her escape from the island.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, but I mean did they ever go into detail?

I'm just curious if like... she washed up in whatever country Nanda Parbat is in and was found there, or what.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

Not that I remember, she should've washed up on China's shores so isn't that much of a stretch to think that she was found by League scouts or something.

The question is what happened to the Bratva don? I seem to remember he was with Sarah when they leaved the island.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm just curious if like... she washed up in whatever country Nanda Parbat is in and was found there, or what.

I believe they've said that some of the flashbacks either this or next season will involve Sara and the League, but I could have been mistaken or that could be fan speculation. Between this show, Flash and AoSHIELD I simply can't keep things fact and fancy straight anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's set to appear again later his season so maybe we'll get her LoA origin story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I personally don't like it when they show dead characters in flashbacks. Knowing that the character is dead in the present makes it difficult for me to care about their past.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

enraged_camel posted:

I personally don't like it when they show dead characters in flashbacks. Knowing that the character is dead in the present makes it difficult for me to care about their past.

Same, but Abraham Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

But what if she isn't really dead :tinfoil:

Happy Birthday Nyssa, I dug up the corpse of your dead girlfriend and revived her for you! - Ras

• Locked thread