Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Here's a question-if Spacebase wasn't worth the money they were putting into it, why on earth would they continue development? People are complaining about alleged mismanagement of the company and Broken Age, but there is no greater mismanagement than the fallacy of putting good money after bad. Does it suck for the people who bought Spacebase expecting more? Yeah, but those people did take a risk in buying a game that was still in Alpha. Does it make Double Fine look like dicks? Sure. But you can't seriously fault a company, especially one that is having constant financial issues, for deciding to cut a project that isn't making enough money to justify its existence. It's a ridiculous double-standard, and makes the argument that "Double Fine doesn't know how to manage money!" completely laughable.

Edit: I honestly think at this point that Double Fine's problem is that they're too open, because most people don't understand business or video games and will criticize them without taking the time to seriously consider the realities of either.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's a question-if Spacebase wasn't worth the money they were putting into it, why on earth would they continue development? People are complaining about alleged mismanagement of the company and Broken Age, but there is no greater mismanagement than the fallacy of putting good money after bad. Does it suck for the people who bought Spacebase expecting more? Yeah, but those people did take a risk in buying a game that was still in Alpha. Does it make Double Fine look like dicks? Sure. But you can't seriously fault a company, especially one that is having constant financial issues, for deciding to cut a project that isn't making enough money to justify its existence. It's a ridiculous double-standard, and makes the argument that "Double Fine doesn't know how to manage money!" completely laughable.

Edit: I honestly think at this point that Double Fine's problem is that they're too open, because most people don't understand business or video games and will criticize them without taking the time to seriously consider the realities of either.

Yeah I would have also cancelled development on Spacebase when you find out it wasn't really making that much money. That's just business. Being too open has been kinda bad for Double Fine I'll agree since a lot of people just don't understand that if they kept working on the game it would just keep burning money at Double Fine. But no gently caress you for not finishing the game. Everyone should have known the moment it was early access. This is why I won't buy massive chalice until its out of early access.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't fault them for ceasing development. I will grant Doublefine's detractors that keeping it the same price in the steam store is a misstep. Just looks bad.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The whole Spacebase thing was pretty lovely.

The game wasn't making enough money? Yeah, because it wasn't done!

It's really pretty sick how the industry is shifting the risk of development to its consumers without any of the accordant benefits.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

midwat posted:

It's really pretty sick how the industry is shifting the risk of development to its consumers without any of the accordant benefits.

10 years ago: man this game would have been great if it didn't get rushed out the door for Christmas 2004, gently caress publishers

Today: self-published game cancelled because it didn't sell well enough a year from release

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

spacebase wasn't worth the money because the game didn't have almost any of the loving features

its early access, so for them to say it wasn't worth the money is ridiculous because the whole point of early access isn't to make a game that is profitable then, its to get the game in the hands of other people, test it, and faciliate development of the features for the future

then when all the features are in the game, maybe it'll loving be profitable

Double Fine, along with other groups in early access, just take the money, half rear end work on a game, then call it 1.0 when they're out of money

I wouldn't even really be posting in here criticising double fine if Spacebase were still on Steam. If they had cancelled it and made it so it couldn't be purchased anymore of Steam that would have been pretty decent of them. But intead, there is just a huge loving sucker trap on Steam designed to give them money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

10 years ago: man this game would have been great if it didn't get rushed out the door for Christmas 2004, gently caress publishers

Today: self-published game cancelled because it didn't sell well enough a year from release

corrected

Today: self-published game cancelled because it didn't sell well enough in the alpha version of their game without most of the features

lol, early access

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Eonwe posted:

corrected

Today: self-published game cancelled because it didn't sell well enough in the alpha version of their game without most of the features

lol, early access

That was what I meant, yes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh I know! I just wanted to continue being a sarcastic dick about double fine mostly

I do think its funny that everyone hated on publishers so much, and now its becoming clear that the only way to keep devs from snorting coke all day instead of making their game is to have a publisher who will cut them off if all they do all day is snort coke and not make games

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Eonwe posted:

spacebase wasn't worth the money because the game didn't have almost any of the loving features

its early access, so for them to say it wasn't worth the money is ridiculous because the whole point of early access isn't to make a game that is profitable then, its to get the game in the hands of other people, test it, and faciliate development of the features for the future

then when all the features are in the game, maybe it'll loving be profitable

Double Fine, along with other groups in early access, just take the money, half rear end work on a game, then call it 1.0 when they're out of money

Early Access golden boy Elite Dangerous axed like all the features that people were begging for including offline singleplayer (which was in the beta) because they finally blew through all their VC money so they have to release a beta as 1.0 and now people are flocking back to Star Citizen now that it has an executive producer (ex-Blizzard lead game designer) and has been showing progress again lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

midwat posted:

I missed this post. This is a good post.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love how peeps itt are like "well, what do you expect, have them continue development on the game????" when literally nobody has suggested that

the issue is that they're profiting from an explicitly unfinished game and haven't provided any monetary recourse for consumers that have been rightfully ripped off

and no, giving them another half-finished game they likely didn't want that's explicitly worth a quarter of the price of spacebase doesn't loving cut it

it's astounding how anti-consumer people in this thread are, like saying double fine should (or should be forced, either by valve, steam in general, or via a class-action lawsuit) issue refunds to people who bought spacebase is some inconceivable liberal bleeding heart idea as opposed to something that happens all the time in every industry every time a corporation misrepresents a product that they're selling

ed: it's p loving sad when ubisoft does a better job than you at compensating consumers who bought a misrepresented product, p loving sad

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

Early Access golden boy Elite Dangerous axed like all the features that people were begging for including offline singleplayer (which was in the beta) because they finally blew through all their VC money so they have to release a beta as 1.0 and now people are flocking back to Star Citizen now that it has an executive producer (ex-Blizzard lead game designer) and has been showing progress again lol

At least they are continuing to work on the game and release expansions. At this point I still have more trust in ED than I do anything that Double Fine works on.

Don't get me wrong, I will still buy Double Fine games. Just only after they are complete.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
DF-9 was a case of Double Fine wanting to try a risk-free development cycle. They borrowed money under terms that can only be described as usury and sold the game as early access hoping the money would last long enough to get it fleshed out. When the loan was paid back the money wasn't coming in very fast and they had to make the decision to put their own money into it and with everything else that's been going on they decided not to do that which is a sound business decision I guess.

But still, gently caress 'em.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Numinous posted:

Don't get me wrong, I will still buy Double Fine games. Just only after they are complete.

I feel this is the correct position.

I typically abide by the "buy complete games only" rule, though I suspended it for DF's Kickstarter because of their good reputation. Many people, I suspect, did the same for Spacebase, and paid the price.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get that Early Access is supposed to be risky, but not delivering on so many of the features and just being like 'welp, game is done, we feel good about where its at and are gonna keep it on steam' is completely hosed

midwat posted:

I feel this is the correct position.

I typically abide by that rule, though I suspended it for DF's Kickstarter because of their good reputation. Many people, I suspect, did the same for Spacebase, and paid the price.

I didn't buy Spacebase since I follow that rule too, but I was tempted because prior to this I thought pretty well of DF. Too bad, they burnt through all their nerd goodwill

I guess they are generating more goodwill with that day of the tentacle re-release, but dont you worry they'll gently caress up again soon and burn through that goodwill as well

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
yeah nobody's ever sold an unfinished game at full price before

totally unprecedented

publishers would never allow that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie Muppari posted:

yeah nobody's ever sold an unfinished game at full price before

totally unprecedented

publishers would never allow that

is this just a random post or are you insinuating someone claimed that

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

is this just a random post or are you insinuating someone claimed that

Man I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of you and others posting stuff like:

Eonwe posted:

I do think its funny that everyone hated on publishers so much, and now its becoming clear that the only way to keep devs from snorting coke all day instead of making their game is to have a publisher who will cut them off if all they do all day is snort coke and not make games

Other than that you somehow think publishers don't do the same poo poo DF and others've done lately.

Like, I'm not saying anyone doesn't get to be mad at DF or one of the other devs that's currently making GBS threads the bed, but it's hella' funny to see nerds acting like things in the videoagm industry are appreciably different now than they were even back in the 90s.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
try not jumping straight to an extreme and making dumb assumptions next time you try to "get something" out of a post I guess

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

try not jumping straight to an extreme and making dumb assumptions next time you try to "get something" out of a post I guess

oh snape

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You are hilarious, Eonwe. "Jumping straight to an extreme" has been your motto here, not anyone else's.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nah it hasnt, just calling it like I see it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Please stop paying for alpha versions of games. I feel like this poo poo started with Minecraft but there was probably a different patient zero.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

notZaar posted:

Please stop paying for alpha versions of games. I feel like this poo poo started with Minecraft but there was probably a different patient zero.

Minecraft is awesome though :shrug:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Eonwe posted:

nah it hasnt, just calling it like I see it

The mating call of the angry dumbass.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
The biggest criticism of Double Fine and Space Base is that Valve released a new set of rules for early access several of which the unritten addition of this means YOU Double Fine was almost impossible to ignore.

As for Broken Age I personally didn't think I had unreasonable expectations as to how far 2,5 million would go and expected a well crafted 4-6 hour experience. Essentially a $15-$20 game.

I also expected, perhaps mistakenly, that a professional development studio with a known and fixed budget would be able to ballpark within +/- 20% expected costs for a given scope. Particularly as the first few documentary episodes dealt with them figuring out how much it cost to make a "room".

Instead what happened was that Tim Schafer decided to make The Game He Always Wanted To Make and the scope went completely bananas - you could see the skepticism multiple times on the faces of the people in the episodes.

First the date changed from 2012 to Q4 2013, which was fine because the scope of the game did change, but then they announced the game was being split in two and the first part was coming out Q1 2014 and that part 2 would be Q2 2014, then they announced part 2 would be Q4 2014 and then a bunch of poo poo happened and they announced Q1 2015.

That is a lot of delays and reflects badly on the management of the studio as a whole, or at least their ability to communicate effectively with their stakeholders because god drat they must have burnt through the majority of the good will they had.

I have backed quite a few Kickstarters multiple of which were delayed, sometimes by quite a long time. Wasteland 2 was delayed and I would still back it knowing what I know now, the same with Divinity and, based on the beta, the same with Pillars of Eternity. Would I back the "Double Fine Adventure" knowing what I know now? No, and that is damning.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tim Schafer is a cool and funny guy who I like a lot but I think he probably needs someone to rein him in sometimes.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pwnstar posted:

Tim Schafer is a cool and funny guy who I like a lot but I think he probably needs someone to rein him in sometimes.

He literally has increased my respect of game publishing houses a lot. Some people just can't manage their way out of a paper bag, even if they are "design geniuses".

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

adhuin posted:

He literally has increased my respect of game publishing houses a lot. Some people just can't manage their way out of a paper bag, even if they are "design geniuses".

Design is god! :supaburn:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Minecraft is awesome though :shrug:

It's not my cup of tea but I can see the appeal.
Regardless it's proven to be the exception to the rule.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

The biggest criticism of Double Fine and Space Base is that Valve released a new set of rules for early access several of which the unritten addition of this means YOU Double Fine was almost impossible to ignore.

I think this all stems not from double fine canceling development but from being dishonest about the whole thing. It was never mentioned anywhere that spacebase was dependent on sales to keep going, they insisted that they weren't abandoning the project right after they did, and rather than just saying that they couldn't keep going Tim Schafer decided to write a big almost smug sounded post about how the game was going 1.0!

It's hard to imagine them getting this much heat for all of this if they had just been upfront but they way they did it just made it seem like they were trying to trick people into thinking they didn't cancel the game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Did the Space Base guy really got fired? I guess that would explain why the things they promised, ie final bug fixes and source code, are nowhere to be found.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
He was part of the team that got laid off last month.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

But still, gently caress 'em.

No empty posting. No never not believing.

Saoshyant posted:

Did the Space Base guy really got fired? I guess that would explain why the things they promised, ie final bug fixes and source code, are nowhere to be found.

But this is ~definitely~ the only promise they've broken and everything else was just a mistake, right.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The 1.0 update notes says that the 'source code' they're talking about is the unencrypted .lua files that are included in the game directory. Is that not there? I haven't checked.

quote:

The game’s Lua source code is now available in the game’s install directory on all platforms. Usually this will be in your Steam directory, under SteamApps\common\SpacebaseDF9\Data\Scripts. If you own the game you can modify these files and distribute your modifications to other users as you like. A large portion of Spacebase is written in Lua, so there are relatively few limits on what you can do with this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

From what I heard, the code was going to be cleaned up and an announcement made when the full thing was available. If the LUA code is already available and is just not properly cleaned that should be fine, too. Can't imagine anyone doing much with the game, though -- was there even a community around it? And by community I mean people who actually played and enjoyed whatever was there and not the part-time haters on the Internet.

choobs posted:

He was part of the team that got laid off last month.

I do wish we would know more about this particular story. Were the layoffs to the team working on the unannounced game a good excuse to get rid of him, too? Was he working on said game? Is the whole fiasco truly his fault? Who knows. We don't for sure.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 9, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

From what I heard, the code was going to be cleaned up and an announcement made when the full thing was available. If the LUA code is already available and is just not properly cleaned that should be fine, too. Can't imagine anyone doing much with the game, though -- was there even a community around it? And by community I mean people who actually played and enjoyed whatever was there and not the part-time haters on the Internet.

I haven't been paying particular attention, but there are still people posting on the DF forums for Spacebase that aren't just crying for blood. So it seems like there's still a small, dedicated community.

Not sure how clean the code is. They published it (I think) with 1.0, then did six bug-fix released that presumably would update that code. Last bug-fix release is mid-November. Maybe DF gave them a year of funding to build interest, when it didn't happen, they lost funding and were planning on continuing to do bug fixes, and then when developers were let go (because a deal with a publisher fell through), they couldn't. Or maybe that publisher deal fell through, DF needed to tighten it's belt, and the game was canned, and the devs basically did bug fixes to salvage what they had. Don't know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

adhuin posted:

Does this mean I can finally poo poo on Obsidian and their janky-rear end games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Does this mean I can finally poo poo on Obsidian and their janky-rear end games

No because Dungeon Siege 3, while not great as a game, wasn't buggy and the QA was done by Obsidian.

• Locked thread