Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blhue posted:

Pretty silly episode for a situation that would make any MMO raid team go "okay I guess with the boss healing shenanigains, we hit the enrage. try again I guess".

It is a bit silly that their immediate assumption is that the fight's unwinnable, rather than the other two raid bosses being brought in when the boss enrages. Then again, it'd just be more talking about whether or not it was an impossible mechanic or not.

Drifter posted:

Well it does, but you forget, so it's cool.

At some point your worst remaining memory will be when grandma took you for ice cream but wouldn't let you get a third scoop on your cone. Death becomes a warm, welcoming embrace.

It's clear from when Shiroe first arrived in Susukino and talked to William that while they don't remember those moments after they've died, people who come back from death feel horrible about it enough to not want it to happen again. Silver Sword lost a lot of raid-capable members because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Log Horizon season 2 episode 10:

Well now I'm standing. Happy? We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle.

I have a plan.

What percentage of a plan do you have?

15%

That's barely a concept.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:livintrope: gently caress this

To anyone who has read the novels, spoil whatever it is Shiroe's 'true' objective is, please.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Buy the world.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Emalde posted:

To anyone who has read the novels, spoil whatever it is Shiroe's 'true' objective is, please.

He aims to purchase all land in Japan using the infinite gold well as his bottomless wallet. Then he continues his conquest to silence all those who oppose him and his ideals of a beautiful country. After that he meets a man and his guild so obsessed with going home they became insane juggernauts of destruction, seeking to tear the very fabric of reality to go home.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Emalde posted:

Legit spoilers here:
By winning the raid, he effectively owns all the gold in there. Moreover, every single spent gold piece goes back there. He therefore has infinite money. With this, he buys every single zone in the Yamato server using a special contract that, upon breaking, reverts control to the server itself. Once he breaks it, all zones become truly public. They are no longer for sale, and no individual can assert control over them.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 7, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They did not need to spend an entire episode on his speech. If they had to spend a full episode on this it should have been more of a dialogue.

Also echoing concerns that it's way too loving early for a real raiding guild to have given up. They've spent literal weeks in this one loving raid and needed tons of attempts on hard bosses. While I understand that this one really rubbed it in their face that they lost, it's still easy to just conclude that it was a special enrage mechanic, which could have easily been explained in a dialogue or an earlier episode.

They spent a long time on that fight, letting the boss heal to full multiple times, and it's utterly absurd that they wouldn't even give it a second attempt before concluding that it was impossible.

That being said the content of this episode was enjoyable, it just should have been the first half of the episode instead of the whole thing.

e: I guess the whole revival + losing memories can really change your outlook or make you risk averse, and I'll be charitable and assume this was their first total party wipe where they didn't have at least some resurrection spells on someone alive. Even so I can't really stand them spending a full episode on this when it seemed like the pace was finally picking up.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 7, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It was their first full raid wipe. I don't think taking time to probe the boss' mechanics to see if they're actually an enrage mechanic or signs the monsters are smarter would really be much better for the pacing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Griever posted:

What percentage of a plan do you have?

15%

That's barely a concept.[/i]

It was 15% chance of SUCCESS, not amount of plan planned out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That speech owned, gently caress the haters

Besides, you gotta like that in 2014, a show spent an entire episode on a speech and expected people to listen to the end. No fanservice, no explosions, just "here is this character, lets lay out his motivations in loving detail for 20 straight minutes."

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Who is xXJohnGaltloverXx?

Seriously though it was a fine rousing speech, all five minutes of it. Unfortunately, it went on for another fifteen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, at least when this bullshit is over with the next arc will probably be either Best Party or Rudy & The Nublets' live tour.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You have to admit if this same situation happened in an MMO in real life the forums would be on loving fire with rage.
Remember, each raid boss was designed to be tackled on its own. It's the pinnacle of unfairness. Sure, it could be an enrage mechanic, but if that enrage mechanic guarantees a full party wipe then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, at least when this bullshit is over with the next arc will probably be either Best Party or Rudy & The Nublets' live tour.

It's the latter. Best Party comes last.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Kyte posted:

You have to admit if this same situation happened in an MMO in real life the forums would be on loving fire with rage.

On fire with rage is pretty much the natural state for video game forums though.

"A 0.4% nerf to Rate of Fire? ARE YOU INSANE?! Why not just shut the whole game down right now?"
"YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON SERVERS. YOU WILL REGRET THIS."

Rodyle posted:

Did I seriously just watch a 20 minute speech on the merits of nerdlordom?

I've read this post 12 times now and I still laugh like a doofus each time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

That speech owned, gently caress the haters

Besides, you gotta like that in 2014, a show spent an entire episode on a speech and expected people to listen to the end. No fanservice, no explosions, just "here is this character, lets lay out his motivations in loving detail for 20 straight minutes."

You also get to see a glimpse at him before the Apocalypse which was basically an average high school student.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

You also get to see a glimpse at him before the Apocalypse which was basically an average high school student.

Can't we just assume that EVERYONE is an average looking high school/boring wage-slave who was at one point isolated emotionally in this series? It's not like it was some hideously deep impactual reveal there.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

I was getting my hopes up for Jenkins to make a second debut in the middle of that speech, oh well!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drifter posted:

Can't we just assume that EVERYONE is an average looking high school/boring wage-slave who was at one point isolated emotionally in this series? It's not like it was some hideously deep impactual reveal there.

It would be really funny if someone actually turned out to be some retiree or something who has like five adult children, a score of grandchildren, and a wife who loves him. That would actually have some impact for a change!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrSunshine posted:

It would be really funny if someone actually turned out to be some retiree or something who has like five adult children, a score of grandchildren, and a wife who loves him. That would actually have some impact for a change!

I bet this is Nyanta

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pretty sure they straight up mentioned in S1 that Nyanta was like 40 or so when not a cat-man, so that wouldn't exactly be a shocking reveal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Guess the speech had been in the cards since the very beginning.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, the LN's been out long enough.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
William never mentioned the impact on LH's publishers quarterly finances. Immersion broken.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kyte posted:

Guess the speech had been in the cards since the very beginning.

This is the dumbest goddamn funfact and has ruined my day.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

This is the dumbest goddamn funfact and has ruined my day.

Fun Fact: Nyanta's VA was chosen because he's actually a cat. :nyan:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mo_Steel posted:

Fun Fact: Nyanta's VA was chosen because he's actually a cat. :nyan:

He is indeed.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So best guess is that they try to turn the raid bosses' attacks on each other.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You know what, I want the master plan to be sticking some logs in the gates so they just can't open.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I stopped following when it became clear the guy was having a serious break with reality. If this was happening in the middle of an actual server raid I'd be contacting admins to have him banned for his own good for the foreseeable future.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jayisspecial posted:

I stopped following when it became clear the guy was having a serious break with reality. If this was happening in the middle of an actual server raid I'd be contacting admins to have him banned for his own good for the foreseeable future.

What

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I hope they've been skimping on the budget so far so that they can make the second half look wonderful.

But who am I kidding?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Kyte posted:

Remember, each raid boss was designed to be tackled on its own. It's the pinnacle of unfairness. Sure, it could be an enrage mechanic, but if that enrage mechanic guarantees a full party wipe then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do.

Every time I hear this makes me laugh since this literally happened in Final Fantasy 11. There were a series of raid bosses (Genbu, Seriyuu, Byakyo, Suzaku) who after beating each one would allow you to enter another raid where you would fight Kirin. Upon getting Kirin down to a certain amount of life he would summon all the other raid bosses into the room with him. I'm not talking same character model with lowered stats, they were really all the same raid bosses at the same time with the same stats. The stories I would hear from other players about this were pretty much the same reactions as this show gave.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Kyte posted:

I've seen all sorts of bosses that people complain are impossible to beat, and then some really crazy guild goes and beats them. And then once they were defeated the guys who couldn't finish the crazy boss are made fun of for sucking hard and noobing it up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ryoga posted:

Every time I hear this makes me laugh since this literally happened in Final Fantasy 11. There were a series of raid bosses (Genbu, Seriyuu, Byakyo, Suzaku) who after beating each one would allow you to enter another raid where you would fight Kirin. Upon getting Kirin down to a certain amount of life he would summon all the other raid bosses into the room with him. I'm not talking same character model with lowered stats, they were really all the same raid bosses at the same time with the same stats. The stories I would hear from other players about this were pretty much the same reactions as this show gave.

You know there's a distinct possibility this plot was inspired in that incident. Mamare was a hardcore MMO player after all, and FF11 is big in Japan.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
They will probably either split their tanks, or have the tanks tank more then one boss at the same time, or have someone kite the other bosses around is my prediction, while having the dps blast down the first boss as fast as possible while making sure a minimum of adds spawn.

edit: they might even employ some form of stunning or rooting mechanics if they can.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 12, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It seemed like you had to just tank the adds because killing them healed the first boss. Really this fight seems like a test for tanks and healers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I gotta think it's intentional that you've got the ice giant and the fire dragon. Kite the giant into the dragon's flame and see what happens next would be my first instinct. Sure in most MMO battles there's no friendly fire so the giant wouldn't get hurt by the fire, but not only are the MMO mechanics breaking down in Elder Tale, that seems like the kind of "out of the box" solution that Shiroe would come up with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Friendly fire exists in MMOs whenever the designers think it would make a more interesting encounter. I know I've kited adds into dragon breath before. That is strictly "inside the box" and a pretty standard raid mechanic.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

New episode actual animation, new tank armor, tactical splits, self harming bosses, and Shiro facing an Angel straight out of Eva with that jerk Kunie, all surounded by the gold of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh my god, a good episode of LH for once! :angel:

• Locked thread