Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This, this right here is grounds for a trip to HR first thing in the morning.

I wish we had a HR department but this is a 10 person company. My best option is to just deal with it and get the gently caress out as soon as humanly possible.

quote:

Wrong wrong wrong, this is when you say, "Like I said, I'll look into it. Have a safe drive back to the office." Then hang the gently caress up.
Unfortunately, looking into it basically requires going to the office. Otherwise I would've just plainly told him to gently caress off and done it at home.

Besides, it's hard to think straight when you find out that someone has literally gotten into your gated complex, parked themselves in front of your apartment, and is treating this as if it is all entirely normal.

If I had any other option other than to bend over for these idiots I would tell them to gently caress off and hand them my resignation letter yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

You still need to have a sitdown with them and say "You know that thing from yesterday where you showed up at my door? Absolutely unacceptable."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zamujasa posted:

Besides, it's hard to think straight when you find out that someone has literally gotten into your gated complex, parked themselves in front of your apartment, and is treating this as if it is all entirely normal.

I understand. If it were me, my boss would be calling me into the office on monday to ask me why I told one of the staff to "Get the holy poo poo gently caress out of here you psycho" and lecture me on how that kind of language is frowned upon. My response would involve the sentence, "I wasn't thinking straight because a creepy psycho from the office decided to inappropriately look up my home address and show up at my home uninvited on my day off."

I'm just saying I react differently, that's all. Holy poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
On the way out (and of course no compensation for time spent at the office on a Sunday evening, like early in/out or maybe pay):

:what: : By the way, showing up at our house, even if you can't reach us by phone, is totally and completely uncalled for.
:downs: : Noted.

I can't help but feel he said that in that dismissive passive-aggressive sarcastic tone he uses sometimes. Maybe I'm just bitter.

This whole thing could have been completely avoided if they had bothered to do any testing. I reread the chain: "I was supposed to check this out a few days ago, but got sidetracked and didn't." Turns out that the problem that they ran into tonight had existed in the international production setup since May, and nobody had ever actually tested it. :downsbravo: And on top of that they neglected to simply set up their demonstration on the US version (which is supposed to be identical, but actually works). The only difference is one domain ends in "eu".

:suicide:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Both ends are supposed to check, but neither is absolutely required to by the spec. Windows Server's default configuration is going against the recommended behavior but is technically still OK. Every other DHCP server I've used (various distributions or embedded vendors versions of ISC DHCPd and dnsmasq) defaults to checking on its end as well rather than relying on the client.

Windows checks would be pointless, just about every server in a windows domain is going to block ICMP completely for "security" so it'd really only slow things down.

Actually I'm retarded, even if they do block ICMP completely you'll still get an ARP reply right?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yes.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress does a full time support position turn into a pre-sales position after two interviews? Now my department lost a great candidate, and we're without a support agent for Sweden. We were supposed to hire a replacement for someone who just resigned, but that position went from 100% Swedish support agent to 80% support/20% pre-sales and then to 100% pre-sales. Now my department is stuck without a Swedish support at all, and we lost 25% manpower.

:argh::argh::argh:

EDIT: I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the head of sales is also the VP... And sales have been delivering bad numbers recently.

Tigern fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 8, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

theperminator posted:

just about every server in a windows domain is going to block ICMP completely for "security" so it'd really only slow things down.

Blocking ICMP on a domain network is not default behavior, so this would require that someone already went out of their way to be stupid. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the majority of the times I run in to "blocking ping makes it more secure :downs:" it's on firewall appliances rather than endpoint devices.

ARP actually doesn't work for a server-side check because a DHCP server may be serving (through relay agents) a number of networks that aren't local to it and thus an ARP would never reach.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

On the way out (and of course no compensation for time spent at the office on a Sunday evening, like early in/out or maybe pay):

:what: : By the way, showing up at our house, even if you can't reach us by phone, is totally and completely uncalled for.
:downs: : Noted.

I can't help but feel he said that in that dismissive passive-aggressive sarcastic tone he uses sometimes. Maybe I'm just bitter.

This whole thing could have been completely avoided if they had bothered to do any testing. I reread the chain: "I was supposed to check this out a few days ago, but got sidetracked and didn't." Turns out that the problem that they ran into tonight had existed in the international production setup since May, and nobody had ever actually tested it. :downsbravo: And on top of that they neglected to simply set up their demonstration on the US version (which is supposed to be identical, but actually works). The only difference is one domain ends in "eu".

:suicide:

I'm expecting an update from hospital where you have barely survived an attack by this guy after he's snuck into your home to brutally murder you because you twitched your curtains at him suggestively.

I may be a little paranoid, but this is straight out of a stalker/slasher film.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If it's a gated community, can't you call the gated community cops or something on him?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So you may remember me from my months long fight to get automatic updates enabled at my workplace. Still fighting that battle! You see updates *could* mess up our ERP system somehow someway. So it's best to be months behind while our ERP team tests each individual update. I just can't wrap my mind around this. I've tried going up the management chain and making my case, pointing out known errors we run into and how there are patches available that fix these, all to no avail. At this point I've given up. The system is in place and I can turn it on and start it as soon as they get their heads out of their rear end.

Also pissing me off in the same meetings is bitlocker! After a few execs forgot their laptops in coffee shops one of them got the bright idea to enable Bitlocker. I'm all for it and think it's a good idea. Mess with some GPOs and setup the simplest form of Bitlocker. No PIN, just enable the TPM chip store the key in AD and away we go. Works great minus the extra time to encrypt initially. Well I'm told to hold off. Somehow this may interfere with our ERP system somehow. Despite meeting after meeting where I try to explain that any data used by an application is decrypted and handled by the software as programmed. Still a no go. So another thing that gets to sit and wait on our ERP team.

I hate our ERP software.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

monster on a stick posted:

If it's a gated community, can't you call the gated community cops or something on him?

only if he's black

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off today:

OneNote. gently caress it. OneNote wants a password to sync a notebook? Click the bar. Nothing happens. Fix is to wipe credentials out of manager and put back in. Which ones? It won't tell me. Guess I won't contribute to the departmental knowledge base. :shrug:

Things not pissing me off:

I think I'm working Mon-Fri now! No more weekends with the client I don't like! I actually get a day off work that I can spend with my wife!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just can't wrap my mind around this.

I can. This is a combination of two things. One is a fear of change, both the change in a procedure that has "worked just fine so far" (the definition of "fine" being completely subjective and not weighed against any other possibility such as not being up-to-date and as secure as possible months earlier) and the change that happens every time an update occurs. This "good enough" mentality is very common and tends to be anathema to people like us, who tend to enjoy tinkering with, fixing and improving poo poo on general principles.

The other is a fear of technology. Businesses are run primarily by people who never learned how to use computers beyond rote memorization of the most basic tasks, and that still includes people who grew up without computers at all. They don't understand the technology involved, they don't understand what any given update to your systems will fix or change, and they are always more comfortable when a human (one under their supervision, ideally) is directly involved. Whatever is being fixed by a given update isn't as bad as the vague hypothetical catastrophe that they've envisioned should something go wrong during an automatic update and no human is around to see it.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 8, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Che Delilas posted:

The other is a fear of technology. Businesses are run primarily by people who never learned how to use computers beyond rote memorization of the most basic tasks, and that still includes people who grew up without computers at all. They don't understand the technology involved, they don't understand what any given update to your systems will fix or change, and they are always more comfortable when a human (one under their supervision, ideally) is directly involved. Whatever is being fixed by a given update isn't as bad as the vague hypothetical catastrophe that they've envisioned should something go wrong during an automatic update and no human is around to see it.

I've posted before about how a large section of the population see the computer as a box full of barely managed chaos. For them, clicking the same button will have a vastly different outcome every time you do it, and only through sheer dumb luck have they gotten the desired outcome up until now.

Troubleshooting is alchemy and guesswork, not diagnostic, and updates are completely unknown variables that merely add more chaos to the box.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

I've posted before about how a large section of the population see the computer as a box full of barely managed chaos. For them, clicking the same button will have a vastly different outcome every time you do it, and only through sheer dumb luck have they gotten the desired outcome up until now.

Troubleshooting is alchemy and guesswork, not diagnostic, and updates are completely unknown variables that merely add more chaos to the box.

Yep, fear of the unknown, which is totally understandable. It's just a shame that so many decision-makers can't trust the experts they hired for that knowledge in the first place.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So what you're saying is that IT workers are basically magicians: feared and useful, yes, but never respected or accepted.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Well, just finished the first weekend on 3rd shift. Overall it wasn't bad, but the change from 1st to 3rd has me jetlagged to hell. I'm sitting at home trying to decide if I want to go in tonight at midnight, or wait until the next night (I've got a lot of flexibility during the week) - I'm leaning towards staying home and getting some extra sleep, plus I have a Dr's appointment at 4:15pm tomorrow, which is right around the time I would be waking up anyways.

I spent most of last night sucking down coffee and 5-hour energy, then twitching in my chair from the overload. But it did allow me to focus on reading my Mastering vSphere 5.5 book rather nicely while watching the Notre Dame-OU game from 2012. Of course, when I got home a little before 9am this morning I crashed hard and was out like a light by the time the cleaning service arrived. I didn't even wake up when they vacuumed my bedroom (and I'm a light sleeper). Going to suck in 4 months (assuming I'm still here) when I have to reverse direction and go back to 1st shift.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The president of one of my best tech vendors called today because he thinks there might be an opportunity for me to work with them. They target my industry and my inside knowledge applies to pretty much everyone in our business. I'm not sure if this would be a good fit or if the work would be too sporadic to be a real job but I'll be giving it some thought and calling him back to discuss it further. It was nice to be thought of by someone I consider highly competent.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Dick Trauma posted:

The president of one of my best tech vendors called today because he thinks there might be an opportunity for me to work with them. They target my industry and my inside knowledge applies to pretty much everyone in our business. I'm not sure if this would be a good fit or if the work would be too sporadic to be a real job but I'll be giving it some thought and calling him back to discuss it further. It was nice to be thought of by someone I consider highly competent.

:)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah, you should at the least look into it bro!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Take the work. It can't be worse than the last gig, and you get to avoid an annoying gap in your employment history.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had my second interview today, according to an insider that alone is a really good sign. Very strong :yotj: potential.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Take the work. It can't be worse than the last gig, and you get to avoid an annoying gap in your employment history.

Yeah, I concur for the gap issue *and* the issue you mentioned earlier regarding your parents. See if it fits you or you can grow into it. If not, in a year or so, start casting your net. That way if you do take this position enough time has passed that the president guy who reached out to you won't feel like you took advantage for just a paycheck.

But don't leave via PostIt this time :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Had my second interview today, according to an insider that alone is a really good sign. Very strong :yotj: potential.

Yeah, for my group, that means you've moved onto the short list after passing the phone interview and initial tech screen. We use the second interview for face-to-face to get a better feel of you and maybe find the limits of your knowledge. When we hit that limit the way you react and disclose you don't know an answer is another good indicator of the kind of team member you'll be.

For us, I'd say once you make it to the 2nd round we weigh on this order

* How well we think you'd work with our team
* Depth of knowledge in the specific domain the position is for
* Mental flexibility
* A suppressed bullshit gene.

There is no 3rd interview. We hire directly out of the 2nd.

So good for you. Things sound good and here's hoping they think you mesh well with them.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Dick Trauma posted:

That's great! Go kick some rear end, make some new work friends, and polish up the resume. We're playing the long game. :hfive:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
More poo poo that pisses my manager off:

New managing director of the company has come in and my manager has tried to enforce an "everyone must wear ties" rule. Its not part of the dress code so everyone outside of his support room hasn't bothered and he now thinks (and is stressed about it) that he looked like he was trying to hard being the only guy wearing a tie in the managers meeting.

Its everything I could have ever wanted :allears:

E: Edited so it doesn't look like i'm mocking the new MD. I'd written that down wrong.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2014

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Blocking ICMP on a domain network is not default behavior, so this would require that someone already went out of their way to be stupid. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the majority of the times I run in to "blocking ping makes it more secure :downs:" it's on firewall appliances rather than endpoint devices.

ICMP Echo definitely is blocked by default on domain members, Domain Controllers do not block it by default though.

A new install with a new domain:

quote:

ARP actually doesn't work for a server-side check because a DHCP server may be serving (through relay agents) a number of networks that aren't local to it and thus an ARP would never reach.

Hadn't even thought of that situation, very good point.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What's this in my inbox?
Behold, the Surprise Meeting, a phone call that was not scheduled with you in advance, has five ornery attendees from the client, and started 9 minutes ago

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

theperminator posted:

ICMP Echo definitely is blocked by default on domain members, Domain Controllers do not block it by default though.

I stand corrected, forgot my machine was not bound to the domain at the moment. Looks like Windows 8 differs from 7 on the defaults as well, my machine shows it as allowed on Private networks and I know I haven't manually modified that where yours has it denied across the board.

I still don't get the reasoning. Sure, let's throw away a useful diagnostic tool just because Microsoft hosed it all up once nearly 20 years ago and some Windows 95 machines crashed.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things pissing me off lately: self-important IT managers who apparently know nothing of what they're talking about (yes, broken record of enough bad ones, I know)

Esentially their tech called in for a single error with an unexpected shutdown, found multitudes of other errors, guy couldn't troubleshoot onsite until Monday. Did so yesterday, found issues wasn't what they originally appeared or were worse than thought, but no matter - got them the parts they needed and setup based off of their contract - which would mean service tomorrow.

His managers call in hours later complaining that since they called in on Friday they should get service today not tomorrow (not part of their contract) and oh - the troubleshooting we did damaged the hardware (not only not true, the system's still operational - the EDAC errors they're showing are for CORRECTED memory errors on ECC memory and aren't otherwise affecting production)

Yes, this is an example of someone whining to get what they want, but the person that approved it is going to have a long discussion with them about their contract. Essentially pay to upgrade to the service they want or deal with the service they got.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

So I definitely found the job posting for my last place's new VP of I.T. position and it's everything I did, except with a much higher salary and higher education requirements. For a place that had a single I.T. person I have no idea how they're visualizing the new hierarchy. The strangest things are listed as the primary responsibilities for the VP: Customer support, purchasing, hardware and software issues, replacement of outdated equipment...

If they hire a manager or director to work under this person will they not have these responsibilities, or will the VP simply push them all off on whatever poor bastard works under him? Or are they going to get a generic cheap helpdesk person to do all the actual work?

I'm frankly baffled that they would take my job description and slap "VP" on it and call it progress. It seems to confirm that their focus on image is quite overblown. I can only imagine what it would have been like if they'd intended to keep me around under the VP.

EDIT: One of the requirements is experience leading teams. :laugh:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 9, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

So I definitely found the job posting for my last place's new VP of I.T. position and it's everything I did, except with a much higher salary and higher education requirements. For a place that had a single I.T. person I have no idea how they're visualizing the new hierarchy. The strangest things are listed as the primary responsibilities for the VP: Customer support, purchasing, hardware and software issues, replacement of outdated equipment...

If they hire a manager or director to work under this person will they not have these responsibilities, or will the VP simply push them all off on whatever poor bastard works under him? Or are they going to get a generic cheap helpdesk person to do all the actual work?

I'm frankly baffled that they would take my job description and slap "VP" on it and call it progress. It seems to confirm that their focus on image is quite overblown. I can only imagine what it would have been like if they'd intended to keep me around under the VP.

EDIT: One of the requirements is experience leading teams. :laugh:

Comedy option: Goon resume onslaught.

Link to it!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's that time of year so I'm rebooting my computer and pissing me off: why can't in TYOOL 2014 programs update in situ? I'm looking at you SourceTree, Fiddler, LibreOffice and many others. Why can't you guys update incrementally instead of making me download an entire new installer, exit the program, run the install, click through UAC, choose a path again, etc etc.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
UAC and such isn't so bad because that just means that they need elevated permissions; you wouldn't want some rogue application going and replacing the program with some nasty virus (that would affect everyone on the machine). Part of me wishes that more programs would default to installing in user-space instead of across the entire system by default. I tend to create a "Programs" directory in my home folder and install things there.

The fact that these programs can't just run a downloader in the background and quietly install over their original directories when they're ready is a loving joke though, I can definitely agree on that point. There's no reason to re-confirm the installed path when the program already knows where it's being run from.

Arguably the one biggest advantage to Linux-type package managers and OSX's App Store, everything generally updates automatically all from one place with minimal bullshit.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

We asked a client at my day job their peak hours for the SQL server using our product. Their answer? 5AM to 8PM.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Not getting into the full story, but I just realized I've been interfering with my own troubleshooting efforts on this $7000.00 desktop by injecting x86 storage drivers into a 64-bit Win 7 system, which was preventing it from booting after MDT installed the OS. And I wanted to blame Dell so much. :sigh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Comedy option: Goon resume onslaught.

Link to it!

The comedy option is Tony applying and being hired, then managing some poor sucker who works for half of what DT was paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Volmarias posted:

The comedy option is Tony applying and being hired, then managing some poor sucker who works for half of what DT was paid.

I think DT needs to call Tony and let him know about this wonderful opportunity - it sounds like Tony and DT's former employer would be a match made in heaven. Then DT could take Tony's old job - sweet sweet Karma...