Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Luceo posted:

the gently caress is a Doogee :stare:

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, it's not that hard to understand. I don't want Touchwiz, Sense, Blur, or any of that nonsense. Samsung's hardware seemed to be the best at the time in the phablet market, and software can be bulldozed.

I'm kinda tired of the phone vendors loving up Android. As for the Nexus stuff, I haven't really been impressed yet.

I don't really get what you want out of an Android phone if you aren't even impressed with a Nexus. Maybe you should just get a Windows Phone or iPhone since those don't get coated with manufacturer crap.

I played with the Doogee for a few days. Was pretty snappy, decent battery life and the screen was pretty great. It's just... Doogee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

I don't really get what you want out of an Android phone if you aren't even impressed with a Nexus. Maybe you should just get a Windows Phone or iPhone since those don't get coated with manufacturer crap.

I played with the Doogee for a few days. Was pretty snappy, decent battery life and the screen was pretty great. It's just... Doogee.

Haha, wait, you weren't joking???

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Teach me how to doogee

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Lblitzer posted:

So you recommend an iPhone/WinPho to people running rooted custom roms. :psyduck:

edit: doogee doogee doogee doogeee

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Sony devices lack expandable batteries and amoled screens, but get better battery numbers than almost everything else. They have almost entirely stock UI's with very inoffensive additions, and SD card slots. Choosing a Note/S to root and rom in tyool 2014 is the objectively inferior choice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As much as I like to mess with my devices, if I had to buy a phone today, I'd clearly lean to stock and maybe, maybe root but in the case of a Moto, not even that. Maybe would root if the phone's OS doesn't let me plug an USB stick and work with it (like a Nexus 7 2013).

-Moto G and X, Nexus 5/6, Sony Xperia Z2/3 or HTC phones since I kind of like Sense. I got my wife a nice 5.5" Desire 816 for 7€/months during two years and I have to say that I'm impressed with it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Sony devices lack expandable batteries and amoled screens, but get better battery numbers than almost everything else. They have almost entirely stock UI's with very inoffensive additions, and SD card slots. Choosing a Note/S to root and rom in tyool 2014 is the objectively inferior choice.

Objectively doesn't mean what you think it means.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm very happy with cm11. I just need to run stock for a day or two to run this stupid sim suretap payment thing and then I don't want to use touchwiz again. Thanks for the tip I will look into safe strap and most likely gently caress everything up.
Take a backup of your stock ROM slot in safestrap first and at worst it takes you 10 minutes to get back to where you were when you started. In case you ever find phone modding tiring and miserable, I'll keep a beer in the fridge for you.

nexus6 posted:

My unlocked, rooted Moto G has stopped vibrating properly and it looks like I might have to send it off to be repaired. Is there a way to 're-lock' the bootloader? The OP doesn't look very up-to-date
"fastboot oem lock"

This will wipe your phone so back up everything first.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 9, 2014

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Luceo posted:

Objectively doesn't mean what you think it means.

I was half joking with that and the tyool. Point being, the thread title is super apt. You really don't need to do this anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

"fastboot oem lock"

This will wipe your phone so back up everything first.
I don't know if that's a Motorola-specific thing but locking the bootloader doesn't wipe the phone on Nexus devices.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

I was half joking with that and the tyool. Point being, the thread title is super apt. You really don't need to do this anymore.

Perhaps the average person doesn't need to, but they never did. If you want complete control of a device you own, like I do for any computer of mine, then yes, it's required.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Luceo posted:

Perhaps the average person doesn't need to, but they never did. If you want complete control of a device you own, like I do for any computer of mine, then yes, it's required.

:goonsay:

Install phone Ubuntu if you want to janitor it so bad.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Wish I was. Had read an article about the growing popularity of the lesser known brands and wanted to see what it was like. For <$200 it's not bad but with the likes of Motorola making the best budget devices I'd only recommend it to hotsauce or Jony Ives.

Luceo posted:

So you recommend an iPhone/WinPho to people running rooted custom roms. :psyduck:

edit: doogee doogee doogee doogeee

Thought I was in the regular android thread, read it as you'd rather not throw a rom on a phone at all and janitor it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Install phone Ubuntu if you want to janitor it so bad.

Someone does different things with their phone than I do! They must be a fat smelly nerd!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Luceo posted:

Someone does different things with their phone than I do! They must be a fat smelly nerd!

Luceo posted:

lol

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Quality post, there. We are in the rooted Android thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luceo posted:

The one with the title of "You really don't need to do this anymore"?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The one with the title of "You really don't need to do this anymore"?

The same. If "you" refers to the average android user, then the title is correct. However, if "you" is the power user type, then I obviously disagree. Still, I think promoting rooting your phone in a thread about rooting your phone isn't particularly goony.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if that's a Motorola-specific thing but locking the bootloader doesn't wipe the phone on Nexus devices.
Nevermind then, I assumed it did since it wipes the phone when you unlock it.

Luceo posted:

The same. If "you" refers to the average android user, then the title is correct. However, if "you" is the power user type, then I obviously disagree. Still, I think promoting rooting your phone in a thread about rooting your phone isn't particularly goony.
As someone with a Moto X Developer Edition, you don't really need to do this anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luceo posted:

It's me: I'm a telephone power user.

I don't just use a telephone, I use my telephone with power.

revolther
May 27, 2008
"Rooted Android, if you don't intend to fully utilize your device, you really don't need to do this anymore."

The only people who won't benefit from rooting are the technologically incompatible. Anyone who can understand a file/folder structure will probably have a need for root permission at least once in their device life cycle.

Laughing at the Ubuntu comments, for contrast, if you blindly trust an OS to manage your data buy an iPhone.

Or just start a "Stock Android: Babbies can no break phone" thread.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Luceo posted:

Now you're playing with power!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Now you're playing with power!

Can I root my power glove?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luceo posted:

It means that I'm a telephone power user. I like to think I use my telephone powers for good. :)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Luceo posted:

Can I root my power glove?

You really don't need to do that anymore.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

*redboxes free long distance call to the vatican*

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Whizbang posted:

You really don't need to do that anymore.

Yeah, I hacked my R.O.B. instead. :science: :psylon:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Luceo posted:

A phone is not a computer.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Riiiiiiiiight.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Luceo posted:

FWIW, I was laughing because rooting your phone does not necessarily make you a smelly nerd goonsay, but then you said "If you want complete control of a device you own, like I do for any computer of mine, then yes, it's required.", which is an incredibly smelly nerd goonsay :)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

FWIW, I was laughing because rooting your phone does not necessarily make you a smelly nerd goonsay, but then you said "If you want complete control of a device you own, like I do for any computer of mine, then yes, it's required.", which is an incredibly smelly nerd goonsay :)

Whatever you say, chief.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Processor. 1.7GHz MTK6592 Octa Core
RAM 1GB
Storage 16GB, microSD card slot, up to 32GB
Camera 13 Megapixel Rear Camera & 3 Megapixel Front-Facing Camera
Battery 2600 mAh
Connectivity GPS, microUSB 2.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth

Funny, those bear a striking resemblance to computer specs...

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Luceo posted:

Root is required, roms aren't. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Please draw a venn diagram in your brain with phone, computer, and smartphone Where would the smartphone bit sit, exactly? Exactly how much space in either circle would the smartphone bit take up?

(this is a dumb thing to say)

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 9, 2014

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Rooted Android - Get Ready to Argue

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
As the owner of a new Developer Edition :smug: Moto X - does it make a difference whether I apply the system updates before rooting the phone? I assume not.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Root is required, roms aren't. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you want an AOSP-like experience on a non-Nexus device, a rom is required. I don't like TouchWiz/Sense/Blur so a custom rom is my only way to get AOSP.

I guess I expected the root thread to be a bit more friendly to the idea. Stupid me. :rolleye:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Luceo posted:

If you want an AOSP-like experience on a non-Nexus device, a rom is required. I don't like TouchWiz/Sense/Blur so a custom rom is my only way to get AOSP.

I guess I expected the root thread to be a bit more friendly to the idea. Stupid me. :rolleye:

Oh hey! Back to the beginning of the circle! Would you mind reading my posts again or would you like me to just quote myself?

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 9, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Luceo posted:

To try to be helpful, go pick up a Moto phone, there's no such thing as blur anymore, and they have a stock Android experience (plus things like active notifications). There are also GPE devices, so you can have your Samsung or HTC or Sony without having to worry about loving with them to get stock Android. There are more ways than ever before to have stock Android on your phone without having to flash a rom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Oh hey! Back to the beginning of the circle! Would you mind reading my posts again or would you like me to just quote myself?

No idea what you're talking about.

RVProfootballer posted:

To try to be helpful, go pick up a Moto phone, there's no such thing as blur anymore, and they have a stock Android experience (plus things like active notifications). There are also GPE devices, so you can have your Samsung or HTC or Sony without having to worry about loving with them to get stock Android. There are more ways than ever before to have stock Android on your phone without having to flash a rom!

I will consider a Moto if they're available on Sprint when I bother to get a new phone. But I have to say, there's not much need for a new phone. My Note II with a touchwiz-free rom absolutely flies, so I really don't feel the need to upgrade.