Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The film was super good, I'm excited about subdued winter cosmetics this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Update is out live for the game. You can collect rubber duckies from killed enemies to level up a badge

Seeing that crossing signal sign kind of makes me sad they really never added anything new to use the decal tool on. It's been the same items since it was first added and that's it really

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 9, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

:allears:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Any word on that Crossing Guard melee weapon? It looks like it's a resking of Neon annihilator, but there are no stats, so can't confirm.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Laputanmachine posted:

Any word on that Crossing Guard melee weapon? It looks like it's a resking of Neon annihilator, but there are no stats, so can't confirm.

It's all-class so it's probably just another default melee reskin.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh those bastards. You can buy a rubber duck to increase duck drops. However it can level up five times, to max level of five, by buying duck tokens to get it to cause even more ducks to drop. So this is how they plan on getting more money compared to last years Halloween event

EDIT: Rubber duck quacks when you hit action slot key

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 9, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Heavy isn't a goddamn simpleton. You put all that work and time into a short movie to miss that he's a well-read stoic? Come on, man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Heavy isn't a goddamn simpleton. You put all that work and time into a short movie to miss that he's a well-read stoic? Come on, man.

I dunno what you're talking about, he solved the train situation pretty well. Everyone else was just gonna run away and let all those kittens get blown up!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He's not dumb in the film, he was just loving with medic with the chess game. Pretty sure he was playing for real(and winning) at that bit at the end where the medic offers him the piece back, then flips the board after when they play.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, that made me mad. Although I guess it's possible he was just loving with the Medic, cause like... who doesn't? Medics are fun to gently caress with.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Some of the maps have been updated with new textures.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Slime posted:

Yes there is, it's just that from what I hear it kinda sucks because the only feedback the creator(s?) got was from this one group of circle jerks who have declared themselves Map Making Experts but basically just make maps THEY like.

I heard it's because valve thought new players found it confusing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

He's not dumb in the film, he was just loving with medic with the chess game. Pretty sure he was playing for real(and winning) at that bit at the end where the medic offers him the piece back, then flips the board after when they play.

He has yet to make a move.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He has yet to make a move.

The only winning move is not to play.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well this is a pretty lame update. The movie was mediocre, and the only new weapon we're getting is a reskin.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't think this game is young enough to sustain the crate game thing anymore. Everyone has so many items, yeah it'd be nice to have that Soldier winter coat but like, we already have two other winter coats. They should just put the things in the store.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*
Hope this update doesn't take the place of the usual christmas stuff...

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

FishMist posted:

Hope this update doesn't take the place of the usual christmas stuff...
I hope it doesn't because I've been waiting for Festive Mad Milk Nog since forever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gnarly Nog

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh those bastards. You can buy a rubber duck to increase duck drops. However it can level up five times, to max level of five, by buying duck tokens to get it to cause even more ducks to drop. So this is how they plan on getting more money compared to last years Halloween event

EDIT: Rubber duck quacks when you hit action slot key

In other words, BONUS DUCKS? :wotwot:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I want a frostbitten sniper. In fact! I hope there's a frostbitten every class. It should be like the zombie thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Opened some crates. The equip regions are weird. You can't wear a hat with the Curbstompers (soldier boots/gloves) and you can wear other footwear, like the socks and sandals, with the engie boots.

???

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Opened some crates. The equip regions are weird. You can't wear a hat with the Curbstompers (soldier boots/gloves) and you can wear other footwear, like the socks and sandals, with the engie boots.

???

They'll fix it. Equip regions are always the bugs that slip by on rushed updates.

EOTL: A disappointing turn of events. I hope the map wasn't completely canned and will be released soon.

Basically, this event was super-hyped on reddit for a year by the video creator, and while the video was frickin' awesome, the rest of the update was nonexistant.

Let me get this right: To participate, I gotta spend $5 in the store to buy a duck, and the duck does nothing except levels up. Right.

Vote with your wallets and maybe then Valve will stop doing these convoluted half-baked updates with near 0 content.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

What is this thing?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Uh cant you read? It's clearly the questlogexplanat...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

Uh cant you read? It's clearly the questlogexplanat...

It's #QUESTLOGEXPLANAT it's the hottest new twitter meme.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

So Valve said all the weapons weren't up to snuff, 'stole' the one weapon they approved for their own update, and said the map McVee's update team or whatever made was too complicated and scrapped that as an officially added map.

Well, McVee delivered at shipping the movie (which was neat except for the lack of dialogue which really hurt it) I guess, but Valve dropped the ball this time with their lovely duck journal (that is if it only counts points).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I really like things that count points so maybe ill get a lovely duck

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It looks like if you want to level up your duck by collecting things you only have until Jan 15? Am I understanding that correctly? After that you have to buy tokens?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Is it just the duck and the sun that are the new unusual effects? Anything else?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It looks like if you want to level up your duck by collecting things you only have until Jan 15? Am I understanding that correctly? After that you have to buy tokens?

Well the tokens are also limited time so I'm imagining that the duck drops and tokens will disappear by that date. Whatever level your duck is at, it'll stay that way.

Even in the patch notes it says, "The event will run through till January 5th, 2015, and includes finding ducks, duck statistics and friendly leaderboards". So we got about 4 weeks or so to get and grind ducks.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
how many ducks for level 69 thank you

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Quick question I didn't see in the thread.

When I pick Quick Join to join a type of map (instead of picking a server itself) it always connects me with european servers (ie stockholm, luxembourg) even though I'm based in the US.

However when I manually pick a server it shows servers in the US. Ping on these is around 35-40, ping on the euro servers are 100+ms.

Is there something I'm missing in a config? Or is that the punishment for quick joining a server?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So you just collect ducks to get points that do absolutely nothing? That you have to pay $5 to even get into. Talk about a skinner box. And there was apparently actual content planned for the update that got cut out. gently caress off Valve. They've been dropping the ball on a lot of things lately.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 9, 2014

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The only good part of this update is that snowplow wasn't made official.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

how do the ducks work. i like ducks.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

mabels big day posted:

how do the ducks work. i like ducks.

collect enough and your duck turns in to a duck unusual item that you can use on a hat, not all hats will work though

this is a lie btw

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 9, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jusupov posted:

collect enough and your duck turns in to a duck unusual item that you can use on a hat, not all hats will work though

You mean I can finally buy my way into an unusual? Sign me the gently caress up please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Dr. Fetus posted:

So you just collect ducks to get points that do absolutely nothing? That you have to pay $5 to even get into. Talk about a skinner box. And there was apparently actual content planned for the update that got cut out. gently caress off Valve. They've been dropping the ball on a lot of things lately.

If this was like Ubisoft or some other poo poo-tier company, nobody would bat an eye. But Valve has become okay with mediocrity, and in this instance, greed. Compare DOTA2's buy a thing to get points/an event to TF2's :

In Dota 2, someone in the game had to own the arcana and someone else on the opposite team had to pick one of about 20 targets.
It cost $28 to get the item that let's you do the event, but only ONE person needed to have it for the event to trigger, plus most games I queued in for solo mode had SOMEONE do the event, so odds are you could do the event without paying a penny. Additional arcana items equipped would increase the chance of the cosmetic set drop.
The benefit was cosmetics : If the contract target killed Phantom Assassin or vice versa, they had a pretty good chance (like a bit lower than 50%) of getting a full cosmetic set. Also if the PA wins (even without the event being activated), her cosmetic would get better via points tied to the cosmetic.

In Team Fortress 2, you buy a loving duck journal.
It costs $5 and has no benefit to anyone but yourself.
The benefit is you get some loving points that do nothing but accumulate for a scoreboard.

• Locked thread