Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Old guard name was op, nerf justified.

RIP Sly Marbo. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Codex: Steel Legion when?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

RIP Sly Marbo. :(

They renamed the IG to AM because they had to go into witness protection when Marbo got cut. Nobody cuts Marbo from the team.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Codex: Steel Legion when?

I flipped through the old Codex: Catachans again and I kept wondering why they didn't just update the rules for that and re-released it.
Until I kinda remembered how awful the Catachans models are nowadays.
Which is a shame because that codex, despite being really short, has a lot of character in it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Marbo infiltrated a Tau encampment. Unfortunately that encampment had a broadside team with smart missiles and an early warning system.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Leo Showers posted:

Which is clearly in contrast to the universally liked, exciting, and extremely well balanced codexes which exist today?

I think it's pretty hard to argue that the codices of 5th and 6th edition weren't not only more enjoyable than those of the previous editions, but also more interesting and more balanced. That's not to say there aren't any problems with them, but 5th/6th saw the rise of books that felt truly distinct from each other- the Blood Angels, Space Marines, and Space Wolves books were all very different in how they played and each had unique advantages over the others. Likewise, the xenos books were all extremely different in style from the Imperial codices and encouraged wholly different strategies. Whatever their problems with internal and external balance, they at least made their factions interesting to play.

That wasn't true of a lot of the 3e and 4e books- typically, one MEQ codex or another would simply be blatantly superior to the others and render them completely obsolete, such as the BA codex during 3rd Edition with Fast Rhinos. And similarly, most books ended up playing very similar games, whether xenos or Imperial.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cooked Auto posted:

I flipped through the old Codex: Catachans again and I kept wondering why they didn't just update the rules for that and re-released it.
Which is a shame because that codex, despite being really short, has a lot of character in it.

This is coming from someone who only warhams via the RPG but this feels like a problem with 40K writ large, where the fluff is compelling but the translation into the tabletop always winds up disappointing. If I had to guess I'd say that's at least in part where the push to advance the timeline comes from, because to some people GW is marginally better at spinning a story than they are at making a game and even if the game turns out to be a shitshow at least there'd be something new to read about.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm just hoping that, no matter what changes befall the Blood Angels codex, we can rely on Heralds of Ruin to keep their flavor in their Kill Team rules.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Allies are a callous money grab that should be tossed out rather than limited. There was a time when Games Workshop was temperate enough that it forbade Tau armies from taking the Kroot Mercenaries units as allies. The reasoning being that the Tau's lack of close combat units shouldn't be supplanted by fast moving Shaper Councils or even Carnivore squads lead by a Shaper with an eviscerator or power weapon.

Formations once had an additional cost an a distance limitation, now most are free upgrades if you happen to take a certain combination of units.

Cooked Auto posted:

Definitely one of the best supplements Games Workshop has made. Plenty of fluff, extra scenarios, and small details that made them Deathworld Veterans. Even the models have grown on me, the steroid arms don't seem quite as colossal as when I started playing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow Blood Angels losing their Assault Troops as actual Troops sucks wonder who else Oh that's right ORKS and like every other drat army.

Now it's all about the FOC and that FOC is actually pretty good, yes it sucks you lost Obsec, I'll cry for you with your ST5 Ini5 bikes on the charge with a Sanguinary priest giving them all FNP.

I truly weep..tears of blood.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Allies are a callous money grab that should be tossed out rather than limited. There was a time when Games Workshop was temperate enough that it forbade Tau armies from taking the Kroot Mercenaries units as allies. The reasoning being that the Tau's lack of close combat units shouldn't be supplanted by fast moving Shaper Councils or even Carnivore squads lead by a Shaper with an eviscerator or power weapon.

Allies have been part of the game since like at least 2nd edition maybe Rogue Trader, wtf are you talking about it's part of the base original rules.

The only thing they have to do to fix Allies is bring back the point restrictions they had.

Seriously, 2nd edition point restrictions and the FOC was a cool thing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 9, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a mature and sensible reaction to the people who have assault squads and DC that were filling their troops allocation and have no interest in being the Red White Scars.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its one use only yeah, but the ability to remove 6-800 points off of the board if your opponent has a Primarch and retinue is quite useful.
Ignoring the cheesy soon-to-be-FAQed wording, it just doesn't seem that useful. For 35 points (as pointed out by Bulbasaur) one die per turn I can see it being useful but otherwise it's a huge pointsink to ake sure you pass a single save or wound with a specific attack.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

The 5th edition Mephiston was meant to go solo, since he did not have independent character. I suppose with the removal of the single model unit clause they could join him in now, but that was not really how he was meant to be used, so is that a nerf?.

Everyone usually treated him as a quasi MC at the time. Had T6, usually moved 12" (the most normal 'flying'MC moved then) and hit at STR 10 but was alone and lacked an Invuln.

Now having him be able to join a squad could be really good. Depends on the points. He still gets Str10 and that new table seems decent, for assault focused guys at least.
Even the old Mephiston was still pretty good. He was effectively an MC with a better statline, useful psychic powers, faster movement and a better save (when comparing him to pretty much every MC in Codex: Tyranids for the past few editions. Oh, and he isn't bigger than a vehicle to it was a lot easier to block LOS to him.
The BA players that thought he sucked really need to play Tyranids. After paying 200 points for a Dimachaeron that's slower than Mephy is, with a worse save and no psychic powers and is inpossible to hide, they'd surely change their tune.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 9, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My biggest concern at this moment is whether or not Blood Angel Assault Squads are still able to take meltaguns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Blood Angels were still Adeptus Astartes, like they're not like the Space Wolves with the crazy man structure or whatever. It actually makes sense fluff wise and rule wise they'd have a few unique things about them but nothing that changes their FOC.

Also, how do you know that the Tacticals can't exchange their bolter for a bolt pistol and close combat weapon? Because I'm going to laugh at all this bitching if that's the case.

I will say this doesn't bode well for Chaos Codex if they are getting rid of FOC shenanigans.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

have no interest in being the Red White Scars.

Pink Scars didn't test well in focus groups. Luckily they were dismissed before the Pony Marine revolution.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Chaos Space Marines can do that, or add a close combat weapon, although they can't purchase jump packs.

It really wouldn't surprise me if this is the case, as it'll allow you to mix/match at will and cut down on duplicate entries

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Also, how do you know that the Tacticals can't exchange their bolter for a bolt pistol and close combat weapon? Because I'm going to laugh at all this bitching if that's the case.

Tactical Marines all have a Boltgun and Bolt Pistol by default. So really we'd just need the ability to take a CCW, which the Space Sharks can do for 1 ppm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I won't be surprised if that is the case, but it probably isn't because the Blood Angel tactical set from what I saw didn't come with a gently caress load of CC weapons. It'd be a cool change though and probably quit everyone's bitching for a little bit.

Also, I think they can get 2 Flamers and 1 Heavy Flamer plus Combi Flamer in a Tactical Squad. That's kind of awesome.

Also, out of all the chapters Blood Angels are the loving dumbest. Space Vampires Yo! So gently caress them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think Forge World did a really good job with the Badab War arc, especially with the Space Sharks, although Astral Claws have to be my favorite still.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hollismason posted:

Allies have been part of the game since like at least 2nd edition maybe Rogue Trader, wtf are you talking about it's part of the base original rules.

Except in 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition, there was no codified allies rule at all. It was boiled down to "make it up, we don't care."

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Wow Blood Angels losing their Assault Troops as actual Troops sucks wonder who else Oh that's right ORKS and like every other drat army.

Now it's all about the FOC and that FOC is actually pretty good, yes it sucks you lost Obsec, I'll cry for you with your ST5 Ini5 bikes on the charge with a Sanguinary priest giving them all FNP.

I truly weep..tears of blood.
Unless I missed something big, Furious Charge doesn't give Initiative anymore and hasn't done since 5th ed.

People used to cry :tinfoil: every time someone would state that GW keep nerfing the good builds in a codex to make old purchases redundant, but we keep seeing more examples of it. BA losing Dreadmob, Orks losing Kanwall, DE losing Baron and Helionspam, GKs losing Psyrifleman, Tyranids losing Nidzilla back in 5th...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Also, I think they can get 2 Flamers and 1 Heavy Flamer plus Combi Flamer in a Tactical Squad. That's kind of awesome.

I don't know where you got the two flamers from considering it's a tactical squad, but you could totally run one flamer, a heavy flamer, and a combi-flamer.

I would.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's still part of the older rules of the game, if you notice a lot of this "new" rules are all just tweaks of original 2nd edition stuff which is cool. Like almost everything.

I mean even the new Psychic Phase is basically the old Psychic phase just different which I like.

Basically we're playing 2nd edition now.

Wait, yeah even the Blood Angels "jump packers as troops" wasn't a thing in 2nd edition, the Blood Angels just had crazy fast Rhinos and vehicles, if I remember right you also had to roll for each squad and that got you a Death Company member.

Mephiston was still the boss though.

It's all FOC, Blood Angels now have a "normal" Foc w/ a extra Elite Slot and the old Feel No Pain.

That's pretty cool.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 9, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Basically we're playing 2nd edition now.

Which is why it's so lovely.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Except it's different because BA didn't have to unlock assault marines as troops with a characte in the way that Orks/every other drat army. If this rumour is true they're actually removing a troops choice from the codex, same as if they'd made gretchin elites or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I swear that the older codex from 2nd edition did not have Jump Pack troops, I don't think they had it in 3rd either.

Also Dark Eldar lost their ability to make Wracks troops as well, but then got a FOC that let them take 6 units of them.

I'll go ahead and go out on a limb that the Blood Angels get a Formation that's like 4 Jump Troops that have Objective Secured.

Slimnoid posted:

Which is why it's so lovely.

Uh.. 2nd edition is a legitimately good game. Rule wise, wargear and character wise not so much. Still it was really good small skirmish game.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Uh.. 2nd edition is a legitimately good game.

Hollismason posted:

Rule wise, wargear and character wise not so much.

"Guys it's a great game except for the parts that make it a game."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cataphract posted:

Except it's different because BA didn't have to unlock assault marines as troops with a characte in the way that Orks/every other drat army. If this rumour is true they're actually removing a troops choice from the codex, same as if they'd made gretchin elites or something.

That and the iconic theme of the Blood Angels on the table is assault, specifically via jump infantry. And it has been since Dante was introduced in Angels of Death. Being a jump army was the raison d'etre of the Codex Blood Angels branch. If they really are gone from the troops section then there is no reason whatsoever for BA to be their own book. They should roll back into C:SM at the first opportunity.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 9, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Meanwhile in 30k land you can have assault marines as troops...

... for 250 points and 10 bodies. They really should distinguish the two units better outside of wargear (give assault marines an extra attack or something) otherwise they could easily just be regular old marines with a '10 points buys you jump pack' option.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah well Matt Ward came up with that so there. 2nd and 3rd edition were not " Assault Marines!" , like Angels of Death was all about the Death Company getting as many of those fuckers as you could into your army. Pretty sure 3rd was Rhino Rush.

Also, I'm pretty sure they don't actually have extra companies of Assault Marines , they follow Adeptus Astartes rules or what ever the gently caress it was Robby came up with.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 9, 2014

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

My copy of IA13 arrived today. Are all the IA books this nice? Really enjoying it so far. Gives me some fun ideas for my fledgling CSM army.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nope Blood Angels were always a jump pack assaulting army with flying dreads and land raiders. Enough of the revisionist history thanks

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hollismason posted:

Yeah well Matt Ward came up with that so there. 2nd and 3rd edition were not " Assault Marines!" , like Angels of Death was all about the Death Company getting as many of those fuckers as you could into your army. Pretty sure 3rd was Rhino Rush.

Also, I'm pretty sure they don't actually have extra companies of Assault Marines , they follow Adeptus Astartes rules or what ever the gently caress it was Robby came up with.

What are Death Company (who even then had the option of being jump infantry) and faster than normal transports if not indicators of a fast attack theme? And what is the iconic character of the BA if not the chapter master with the golden jump pack and the jump pack bodyguard? This is the theme that justified the BA being in their own book, if it is being neutered, then why not just Templar them?

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 9, 2014

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I think it's sad and a little funny that we lost troops assault marines, but they put an assault marine on the cover of the new codex.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is the theme that justified the BA being in their own book, if it is being neutered, then why not just Templar them?

This is my point exactly

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Also if we want to get technical on when BA had assault marines as troops, I'm fairly certain that was the (very lovely) placeholder army list printed in WD around late 4th edition.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wow. I had low expectations, but they took it even further then I had imagined.
No more DC in troops.
No more 11 Dreads in one FOC. (Maximum of 5 now)
No more Baal predators in fast.
No more Land Raider dedicated transports for everyone.
No Sanguiniary Priest in Elite or in terminator armour.
No Sanguiniary Guard in troops.

No freaking assault marines in troops. The main thing that made me choose BA is now gone. Wow.
I didn't expect most of these to remain mind you, but holy crap.

That is a lot of armies that just went poof.

Bloated Elite, Fast and Heavy in one fell swoop.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think it's sad and a little funny that we lost troops assault marines, but they put an assault marine on the cover of the new codex.
Yeah, my plan was to have an assault squad and DC with jump packs as my core troops, with maybe a tactical squad with flamers in a pod. If this rumour is true then I'll be quite bummed out by having to have the same old mandatory poo poo as in every other marine book. I mostly play at 1250 points so that presents something of a variety between armies problem.

Leo Showers posted:

This is my point exactly

I've actually been saying it for years. I think the Templar solution is perfect. If you can't build a meaningfully distinct army, you should get access to the toys of the vanilla faction.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
It always bugged me that their thing on the table was assault marines but they still followed the codex astartes in terms of how many tactical assault and devastator troops were in each company. Each company has 6 tactical squads 2 assault squads and 2 dev squads. What're all those tac dudes doing?

To be honest, I figured they'd retcon the chapter organisation or state that tactical marines also received assault marine training.

oh well... there's always unbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh is it that time again?

Remember when everyone talked about how lovely Wraithhknights and Crimson Hunters were? Or how lovely the Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar were? Then the codexes actually came out, people played them, and found out that it wasn't nearly so bad....

• Locked thread