Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a rare instance of a codex that might be perfectly fine in every way and still piss its long-term established players off (that +1 strategic trait relic is gold if true). No wonder they're pushing a new BA-themed tac squad kit right around now, though.

Sticking to the Crusader Squad for my troop choice assaults still, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've actually been saying it for years. I think the Templar solution is perfect. If you can't build a meaningfully distinct army, you should get access to the toys of the vanilla faction.

Yeah, I agree with this. Otherwise you are really reaching/forcing differentiation, which is what Blood Angels got previously. Dark Angels could've really been rolled into the regular Imperial Space Marines too, beside Deathwing/Ravenwing they seem less divergent than the Blood Angels.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boon posted:

Oh is it that time again?

Remember when everyone talked about how lovely Wraithhknights and Crimson Hunters were? Or how lovely the Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar were? Then the codexes actually came out, people played them, and found out that it wasn't nearly so bad....

Well yeah, I did say that earlier. It's just the idea of not having assault squads/DC as troops is a change that would really bother me if true. It just undermines the core distinction of the army, on the face of it.

It would also be pretty lovely to sell a starter box one week before you make the two troops units in that box invalid for that slot. Leaving the person who just started the army (like me) with an HQ and three elites instead. In fact, I would say it would border on the dishonest.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 9, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Boon posted:

Remember when everyone talked about how lovely Wraithhknights and Crimson Hunters were? Or how lovely the Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar were? Then the codexes actually came out, people played them, and found out that it wasn't nearly so bad....

Counterpoint: GK and 'Nids were met with negativity after release, Orks were met with a "well whatever," and SW got released and barely anyone noticed.

7th edition codices haven't exactly been met with much enthusiasm.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Here's a rare instance of a codex that might be perfectly fine in every way and still piss its long-term established players off (that +1 strategic trait relic is gold if true). No wonder they're pushing a new BA-themed tac squad kit right around now, though.

Yeah that's probably going to be the case; it won't be Dark Angels-level bad, but it's not going to be an improvement over the previous book.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Sticking to the Crusader Squad for my troop choice assaults still, thanks.

That's it for me... I have a BA army, i have one tactical squad that was painted some time in the late 90s that I've not used in 15years... but I have 30 assault marines painted to a great standard that I use frequently. So, if the rumour is true and whether the codex is good or not, I'm going to have to rework the models I own, significantly, in order to play the game. Which is a pain in the arse.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Boon posted:

Who has said this codex is weak? With Fast Rhinos and Flamer/Heavy Flamer/Hand Flamer Tactical Squads, we'll probably see lots of strong Rhino Rush.

The lion's share of complaining has been about how the Force Org dynamic of the army is changing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Keeping hand flamers and getting heavy flamers in tac squads is outright incredible. It's going to make Salamanders jealous. It's just a complete shift in the army's dynamic from what it's been for a long time, and with the "and here's our handy new Tac Squad kit!" timing it looks on the face of it like GW's regular bull.

But like I said, there's no way the day one DLC won't do something for assault armies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Orks not getting a formation of Speed Cult is kind of bullshit but you never know, if they're willing to give the Orks the Tyranid treatment I think that'll go a long way to quelling that.

Also, we haven't even seen the new formations, they could have another detachment.

Again, their detachment is +1 Initiative +1 STR, that's pretty boss. It's the older Furious Charge and pretty much everyone gets it.

The Dark Eldar codex everyone whined about is actually pretty great as well and it got a huge boost with Coven.

Tyranid fears got dissuaded with a brand new detachment, new models, and new formations.

Quit bitching.

This is just how things are now, you're not going to get a FOC changing poo poo anymore. You'll be getting it in Formations and different Detachments that you can take.

That's just the game now.

That's how GW is going to be for a while, they'll release hopefully all up to date codexes by I say spring, then bring all the other 6th edition up to date, then 8th edition will roll around in 2016. In the interim armies will get new units, new formations and new data slates.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 9, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've actually been saying it for years. I think the Templar solution is perfect. If you can't build a meaningfully distinct army, you should get access to the toys of the vanilla faction.

Every Space Marines faction could just be a supplement or subsection of the standard codex. None of them have such complex rules that they really need an entire codex (or a Codex and a Supplement) on their own and they should all have access to the same base tanks/flyers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hollismason posted:

This is just how things are now, you're not going to get a FOC changing poo poo anymore.

Once again, because you seem to be bad at reading... The DC, DC dread, and assault squads weren't a FOC changing thing. They were fixed by default as Troops. This is in no way the same situation as the removal of characters or rules that would move an Elite to Troops or whatever. It is the radical excision of over half of the Troops options available to the army. Assuming the rumours are true.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did you miss the part where that's how the game is, people are just resistant to how the game is now played with FOC.

Want 8 Dreads? and 6 Assault squads? take 2 of the Detachments offered in the book you have to take 4 troops and 2 HQ along with it.

This is literally what I mean, that the games FOC has changed now with specific armies have specific FOCs just for them and it's actually for the better.

Why?

Because if they let everyone put poo poo in the troops slots then they'd automatically get objective secured which would in turn make them more powerful so instead they make FOC changes so that you can have all of that but that those units don't become even more powerful by being OBSEC.

This is why you see formations and the special detachments made with extra slots because those units lose Obsec something that's pretty powerful.

It's literally how they balance OBSEC.

Expect the same thing to happen with White Scars, White Scars will probably have it's own special FOC with 4 to 6 Fast Attack gain some special abilities but lose Objective Secured. The same with Salamanders etc..

This is a good thing

Each Space Marine chapter having it's own Detachment and special rules that it can take would be amazing.

Iron Hands being able to take 4 Elite and 4 H. Support etc.. etc.. That's great.

I don't know what the Ultramarines could get, maybe a buttfuck themselves FOC or something.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 9, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or instead of all of that they could just give Death Company units a special rule that says they can't score. You know, like they used to have.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Again, their detachment is +1 Initiative +1 STR, that's pretty boss. It's the older Furious Charge and pretty much everyone gets it.

+1I in exchance for ObSec is poo poo.

quote:

Tyranid fears got dissuaded with a brand new detachment, new models, and new formations.

Yeah and that was months after the goddamn codex came out and requires that people buy new models and new books to fix the contents of a lovely book.

quote:

Quit bitching.

Quit rapid-firing posts in lovely broken english.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I don't know what the Ultramarines could get, maybe a buttfuck themselves FOC or something.
Nothing but Tactical squads, the way Guilliman would have wanted it :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yes, because having 6 units of non scoring units as your troop selection makes sense.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

A Real Horse posted:

My copy of IA13 arrived today. Are all the IA books this nice? Really enjoying it so far. Gives me some fun ideas for my fledgling CSM army.

Almost all IA books are that nice. This is why, when we go over them on The Independent Characters, we gush about them so much.

(Edit) All IA books are constructed as nice as IA13. Not all are as usefully awesome as IA13 (especially as a Chaos player!) but they are all good in their own ways!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

My second Thunderbolt has arrived.

When I am finished, the Imperial Navy will always contest the miniature skies!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yes, because having 6 units of non scoring units as your troop selection makes sense.

So maybe don't do that? :confused:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

Almost all IA books are that nice. This is why, when we go over them on The Independent Characters, we gush about them so much.

(Edit) All IA books are constructed as nice as IA13. Not all are as usefully awesome as IA13 (especially as a Chaos player!) but they are all good in their own ways!

Yeah, your gushing is why I have a Chaos force in the first place. It just all sounded so fun! Plus my main army being Necrons, it's nice to have something very different to build and paint.

Now I'm planning my budget to take advantage of the free shipping coupon they sent with the book. Hmmmmm, so many choices, so few dollars!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ironically I think I GW underestimate the power of ObSec. If I can rock up with 7 scoring units (thank you Kantor!), 3 of which are drop pods, I'm going to completely own in a maelstrom mission with little effort against an unbound list.

Turn 1- I deploy on 1-2 objectives. I drop on 1-2 more. Even if I have poor shooting, I control a huge chunk of the board and can rack up a bajillion VP with no effort.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Boon posted:

Big difference between being Strong and being Bleh. In fact, you can have both at the same time!
But really I'm just lamenting that, at a time when GW is being totally zanny, "core" options are being systematically removed in favor of that lovely rear end unbound stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Hand posted:

You can expect the Alpha Legion Contemptor Dread to be released in about a week or so.

:swoon:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Leo Showers posted:

My second Thunderbolt has arrived.

When I am finished, the Imperial Navy will always contest the miniature skies!

I just got my Forgeworld order today as well. Inquisitional panels and extra armor for a rhino and inquisitional door and insignia with the extra armor panel for a chimera. I can't wait to put it together on Wednesday.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

This is coming from someone who only warhams via the RPG but this feels like a problem with 40K writ large, where the fluff is compelling but the translation into the tabletop always winds up disappointing. If I had to guess I'd say that's at least in part where the push to advance the timeline comes from, because to some people GW is marginally better at spinning a story than they are at making a game and even if the game turns out to be a shitshow at least there'd be something new to read about.

In this case it's more what Post 9-11 User mentioned with that the Catachan supplement had a lot of extra bits of flavour that made it stand out from the rest and still honestly does.
Such as the special rule that you had to roll a D6 before deploying commissars with rolling a one meant that they'd had a slight "accident".
Then there were jungle fighting rules as well as dealing how to set up ambushes and traps aside from some minor rules that make Deathworld Veterans/Catachans unique.
I mean something as inconsequential as the mention that models using a demo charge gets removed from the table to grab a grox burger unless replaced with a lasgun model is to me just a lot nice flavour.

I'd love to see a straight up update of it to the recent rules standard and then keeping everything else in terms of writing and descriptions.
Of course knowing GW writers now they'd probably grimdark it to hell and back just because.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Definitely one of the best supplements Games Workshop has made. Plenty of fluff, extra scenarios, and small details that made them Deathworld Veterans. Even the models have grown on me, the steroid arms don't seem quite as colossal as when I started playing.

That depends on the kits, the basic infantry box is kinda horrible due to its age since I think it's from 3rd ed. But the newer HQ box is really drat good and has a lot of really dynamic bits to it.
That HQ box is almost better than the Cadian one I think just because of the Chatachan one is just posed a lot better and cooler.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Deathstorm box set questions: I'm getting the Tyranid half of one box set and could get the Nids from another set. Should I spring for the second broodlord and Genestealers? Is the broodlord good cool enough to get a second model and group of Genestealers?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

That depends on the kits, the basic infantry box is kinda horrible due to its age since I think it's from 3rd ed. But the newer HQ box is really drat good and has a lot of really dynamic bits to it.
That HQ box is almost better than the Cadian one I think just because of the Chatachan one is just posed a lot better and cooler.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

krushgroove posted:

Deathstorm box set questions: I'm getting the Tyranid half of one box set and could get the Nids from another set. Should I spring for the second broodlord and Genestealers? Is the broodlord good cool enough to get a second model and group of Genestealers?

The model itself is pretty great. I got my copy last night, put together the Broodlord and left the rest of the box for over the Xmas holidays. It has great detail and is almost as good as the Space Hulk version.

Ruleswise, the mileage you'll get from Broodlords/stealers will depend mostly on how competitive your usual opponents are. Obviously they're not great, but there are a few fun and fluffy formations you can use with them. I only wish the formation from the Deathstorm box wasn't so rigid in terms of unit composition.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

I would never take a unit of genestealers without a broodlord. The horror is a good power, and despite having no real armor T5 tends to make him survivable against squad leaders and even some ICs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks guys - sounds like I'll want the second broodlord because I already have about 16 genestealers, so I can play with 2 units of 'stealers with a broodlord.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lord Twisted posted:

Ironically I think I GW underestimate the power of ObSec. If I can rock up with 7 scoring units (thank you Kantor!), 3 of which are drop pods, I'm going to completely own in a maelstrom mission with little effort against an unbound list.

Eh. Against a lot of the middling ones, sure, but against one that's actually working to abuse Unbound? Not even close. Remember, an Unbound army can bring six Wave Serpents (with nothing inside!), four Annihilation Barges, and eight Broadsides and just kinda blast anything you have to death in short order with a torrent of S6-7 shots. You can't score objectives if all of your units are dead, after all.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

It's the Sly Stalone heads that bother me now. When I was younger they looked like hulking Synthol monsters, maybe it was how they were painted back then. Real men only need tank tops in battle.

Wow, this PRO guy can make even that kit look stupid:

HURP, OBER DERR!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That medic with the humongous syringe looks doofy as heck

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Actually, he owns. You can tell because he's a Catachan, and all Catachans own.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ANAmal.net posted:

Actually, he owns. You can tell because he's a Catachan, and all Catachans own.

Quotin' dis fo days

I built a veteran squad out of a Catachan command squad. It took some doing to make them hold lasguns (well, las carbines) but it's a great kit. It would be my favorite IG kit, but the Scions box is incredible.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I built a veteran squad out of a Catachan command squad. It took some doing to make them hold lasguns (well, las carbines) but it's a great kit. It would be my favorite IG kit, but the Scions box is incredible.

This is my plan for the Catachan Command Squad box I've got as well and then just pad that out with some other spare models for a really mixed veteran squad. But that's rather low on my to do list to build since I don't have much incentive or reason to do it right now.
I love the Scion box as well but it raises the bar when it comes to dynamic looking arms and such that it's almost unfair to everything else since they come off as even more static than before. Really wish you could mix Scion bits with Cadian ones but that just leads to awful results as far as I've tried.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the ba dlc will be flesh tearers and it will just be assault marines and dc in troops

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Alternately, it will be one of the chapters no one gives a poo poo about like Angels Encarmine and it will have different-but-still-useless relics and warlord traits and nothing else of any particular note.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Alternately, it will be one of the chapters no one gives a poo poo about like Angels Encarmine and it will have different-but-still-useless relics and warlord traits and nothing else of any particular note.

Except like one or two formations that everyone will take because they're so good they become a no-brainer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Yeah yeah I know 4chan, but looks like the guy has the book so it seems legit.

quote:

Alright, now that I have your attention, here's a quick and dirty overview of some oft he changes.
I am currently at uni, so no decent pics for now, but I will take them once I get home.
No point values for now, can't be arsed to compare.

All army-wide special rules outside of Combat Squads are gone. Everybody has Furious Charge.
Detatchment has 4 elites, one of which is mandatory, warlord reroll and +1I on the charge for everything.
Warlord traits: Rampage, +1I, Mastercrafted for a weapon, Adamantium Will, Fearless for EVERY friendly imperial unit within 12", reroll reserves and scatter for Jump, Flyer and Skimmer.
Relics: Fear at -2Ld, one free strategic warlord trait, MC plasma pistol, no-frills AP2 melee weapon, jump pack that allows to reroll scatter and mishap & forces Interceptors to only snapfire at wearer, force maul that allows rerolling 1s one psy tests at the danger of taking a wound if the reroll is also a 1.
Sanguinary Discipline: +d3I and A for a character, morale check at -2Ld, grants Rage or +1A if you already have that, 5++ for unit, some lovely focussed witchfire, a S8 AP1 Beam Lance and one that moves a unit 12" ignoring terrain, but counts as moved for shooting and can't charge.
Most rhino-chassis vehicles lost fast and must now buy it as vehicle gear for 10pts.
Jump Packs are now 3pts per model for units.
Assault squads are FA now.
Vanguard & Sternguard are now the same as the C:SM ones.
Death Company are elite now. Trade 1WS for Rage.
Lemartes is a seperate elite choice now. Fury Unbound is once per game now.
Sanguinary Priests are now HQ, one guy per slot. Give FnP and +1WS.
Corbulo has 6" aura of +1WS/I.

Tycho lost all melee weapons and special ammo.
Astorath's axe now causes ID on a 6 to-wound and is two-handed, but is otherwise a poweraxe.
Dreads are now split into Librarian(HQ), Furioso (Elite), Death Company (Elite) and stabdard (loving elite).
Furioso Force Halberd is a powerfist with Force but without Specialist Weapon, so no +1A.
DC dread lost 1WS and 1A.
Furioso is NOT venerable.
Sanguinary Guard maxes out at 10, death masks grant Fear.
Tacticals may take a heavy flamer for a heavy weapon and a grav gun for a special weapon.
inferno pistol and hand flamer are availiable to all characters but scout sergeants.
Dante is a LoW and got a massive buff. Axe is now S+2 AP2 Mastercrafted. Dante gets Eternal Warrior, a free tactical warlord trait on top of his Descent of Angels and a 6" fear bubble.
Seth is a LoW and has Rage, Rampage and causes two hits for any 6 rolled to hit.
Land Raiders lost Deep Strike and are now Heavy Support.
Mephiston...oh, Mephiston. I...I can't...

Pans out from other rumors. Might be bullshit, might not, but nothing looks good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm just dreaing what will happen when GW gets around to doing new Tau. I'm fine with getting nerfed some, but what I really like about the 6e codex is that almost everything is viable, so you can do a fair few different list types.

Really, I'd prefer the others get lifted up to the standard Tau sets, but that's not particularly likely, I wager.

• Locked thread