Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It has something to do with your chocobro being a member of the party. I dunno if it's leftover 1.0 code or if they redid it for ARR but basically it'd require a pretty substantial rework of them.

Shame that they're plagued by coding/memory issues when everything else is so great about the game. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

It has something to do with your chocobro being a member of the party. I dunno if it's leftover 1.0 code or if they redid it for ARR but basically it'd require a pretty substantial rework of them.

Shame that they're plagued by coding/memory issues when everything else is so great about the game. :sigh:

It's a 1.0 holdover in the sense that they made 2.0 super quickly and while they did a good job generally there's a couple of things, like this, where they just didn't have the time or resources to build proper scaffolding. The other major compromise is they have said they really wanted a lot more cross-server capabilities and friends and such, but it was just too much to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Boten Anna posted:

It's a 1.0 holdover in the sense that they made 2.0 super quickly and while they did a good job generally there's a couple of things, like this, where they just didn't have the time or resources to build proper scaffolding. The other major compromise is they have said they really wanted a lot more cross-server capabilities and friends and such, but it was just too much to do.

Have they indicated whether or not that was a thing that may be worked towards in the future, out of curiosity?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Finally got my High Allagan Spear :unsmith:

Of course, between needing light and hopefully getting the T11 spear within a week or two, I won't be able to use it, but...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've started running into people in the DF with unweathered ironworks weapons and dreadwyrm weapons and dang that poo poo looks loving nice

Roe lady pulled out that Ironworks Spear and I'm like gently caress, I have to finish gearing up DRG for 2.45

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Augh spend four hours fixing a hardware problem and I come back and my addiction's closed down for the night. :arghfist::saddowns:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How long do they usually take to put up patch notes? I need the deets! The deets!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Have they indicated whether or not that was a thing that may be worked towards in the future, out of curiosity?

They said it's something they're working toward, but probably not something that will happen anytime soon. We got a bit of a peek into how the backend handles data with some of the instance problems they had and problems like not being able to commend people who leave the dungeon before you're able to, which betray that everything is very specific-purpose and sectioned off. Like, the instance for any given duty is on a server that ONLY handles that specific duty, and they adjust how many are available for each duty depending on how popular given content is at the time.

With what that implies, there's a lot of code overhaul to do, network backend to make, and hardware to buy and install before we can start sending friend and duty invites across servers.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

How long do they usually take to put up patch notes? I need the deets! The deets!

Varies, honestly. Could be in the next hour, could be in six hours

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

He said it was something they'd like to fix, but like Boten Anna said, it's not something they can easily fix and it's not considered a high priority due to the apparent complexity involved in fixing it.

They can fix it pretty easily though, just let the chocobos enter the dungeon and teleport them to a holding pen outside the geography and keep people in the cutscene ring until all birds are dismissed. It not pretty but it works completely inside the current system and its a hell of a lot better than what we have now.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

They can fix it pretty easily though, just let the chocobos enter the dungeon and teleport them to a holding pen outside the geography and keep people in the cutscene ring until all birds are dismissed. It not pretty but it works completely inside the current system and its a hell of a lot better than what we have now.

Now you have parties >8 in a dungeon and everything blows up because parties can only have 8 people oh god what did you do

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

This sounds like the kind of messy solution that is just ripe for bugs.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

This sounds like the kind of messy solution that is just ripe for bugs.

You literally could not proceed until all companions are dismissed which returns you to exactly where dungeons are now so unless having a bird in an inaccessible cage breaks physics I dont see a single way how. I mean, companions could also easily be classified as a class of their own with an invisible fill limit above and beyond the normal healer dd tank queue space so you could even set it so that queue exists pre instance but you have to dismiss your companion from that queue before you can click commence too.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tell us more about your solution that takes into account no technical details.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

nuru posted:

Tell us more about your solution that takes into account no technical details.

tell me more about your criticism of even thinner substance. Its turtles all the way down, the only winning move is to be me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

You literally could not proceed until all companions are dismissed which returns you to exactly where dungeons are now so unless having a bird in an inaccessible cage breaks physics I dont see a single way how. I mean, companions could also easily be classified as a class of their own with an invisible fill limit above and beyond the normal healer dd tank queue space so you could even set it so that queue exists pre instance but you have to dismiss your companion from that queue before you can click commence too.

The code could literally break with a 9+ person party. An error exception could be thrown that crashed the dungeon and booted all members of the party to the start screen. And that chocobo (or more?) party members? What happens when they're sent a command to end gracefully and they don't? Is there even error handling in place for that it? It's useless to try and come up with solutions when you have literally no idea how any of the backend works.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Except they may not actually be able to do this at all, and based on what they have said they cannot. If it was a quick and easy fix then they would have already done that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As a working programmer I'm as amused by the naivete of that solution as I am continually astounded that 2.0 actually happened at all given what they seem to have had to work with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's my brilliant plan for fixing The Chocobo Problem: what if they fixed it. Pretty easy, right?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Potsticker posted:

The code could literally break with a 9+ person party. An error exception could be thrown that crashed the dungeon and booted all members of the party to the start screen. And that chocobo (or more?) party members? What happens when they're sent a command to end gracefully and they don't? Is there even error handling in place for that it? It's useless to try and come up with solutions when you have literally no idea how any of the backend works.

It doesent need to be a 9+ person party, it needs to be able to place companions in a party of up to 8 separate of the main party of PCs. The systems of which already exist in alliances, there is already code to support multiple parties entering the same instance.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

It doesent need to be a 9+ person party, it needs to be able to place companions in a party of up to 8 separate of the main party of PCs. The systems of which already exist in alliances, there is already code to support multiple parties entering the same instance.

Did you not understand the thrust of the post? You're dumb for speculating how this solution could even work because you have literally, again, no knowledge of how the backend system works.

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!

homeless snail posted:

Here's my brilliant plan for fixing The Chocobo Problem: what if they fixed it. Pretty easy, right?

poo poo, someone get Square on the horn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I sort of wonder, if you have seven people in a party and one of them whistles for a chocobo, does it become a Full Party (and get you the extra limit bar)? That'd be amusing.

I hope the notes go up tonight. I want to see the notes so I can make up my mind, depending on the buffs/nerfs, whether to focus on DRG (i92 currently) or NIN (i90) next. Me being :effort: incarnate makes me think DRG is the answer, but NIN is more satisfying to get right. I dunno.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm going to set up a clean lab and logic gates this problem manually real quick, I only need 9 months.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Did you not understand the thrust of the post? You're dumb for speculating how this solution could even work because you have literally, again, no knowledge of how the backend system works.

Aimless mechanics speculation: Threadkosher
Aimless fix speculation: Potsticker does not approve

Noted.

Ciaphas posted:

I hope the notes go up tonight. I want to see the notes so I can make up my mind, depending on the buffs/nerfs, whether to focus on DRG (i92 currently) or NIN (i90) next. Me being :effort: incarnate makes me think DRG is the answer, but NIN is more satisfying to get right. I dunno.

Both are fun as hell, ive got i107 and i106 on them respectively and despite dragoons relative fragility up to this point it is still a blast to play. Just being able to backflip like a boss out of AOEs is fun.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gas the thread, Chocobo problem solved.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Aimless mechanics speculation: Threadkosher
Aimless fix speculation: Potsticker does not approve

Noted.

Select your pistol

And then

Select your shitpost

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of wonder, if you have seven people in a party and one of them whistles for a chocobo, does it become a Full Party (and get you the extra limit bar)? That'd be amusing.

I'm pretty sure it does. You definitely get the FULL PARTY message, not entirely sure about the 2nd limit bar.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gas the thread, Chocobo problem solved.

Please stop suggesting killing the patient with the parasite. This isn't XCOM.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Not being able to queue with your Chocobo out is terrible, but not as terrible as this thread.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Not being able to queue with your Chocobo out is terrible, but not as terrible as this thread.

Let's talk about Parry or Fracture again!

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Dragoons are about to become so strong, all is well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chocobos get the light/full party message but no limit bar.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Chocobos get the light/full party message but no limit bar.

Well now I'm just confused, I thought they'd count as full-fledged party members in all respects if they were giving the Full Party message. That's gotta be some gnarly-rear end server code. :psyduck:

Spaceman Future! posted:

Both are fun as hell, ive got i107 and i106 on them respectively and despite dragoons relative fragility up to this point it is still a blast to play. Just being able to backflip like a boss out of AOEs is fun.

I think I'll go with DRG on reflection, if they do indeed make Heavy Thrust nonpositional as far as giving the buff. Maybe Impulse Drive too, but that one seems less royally loving finicky about positioning than HT does, for some reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Well now I'm just confused, I thought they'd count as full-fledged party members in all respects if they were giving the Full Party message. That's gotta be some gnarly-rear end server code. :psyduck:

Let this be a reminder to all of us that renovating 1.0 into something not worthless had to be some serious Trials of Hercules poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(edit) ^ on the one hand that artwork's kinda cute but on the other :barf:

I know it's never going to happen, but I'd love for some of the backend software developers to do an in-depth post mortem of some of the 2.0 trials and tribulations. I always learn a lot, reading things like that.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'll go with DRG on reflection, if they do indeed make Heavy Thrust nonpositional as far as giving the buff. Maybe Impulse Drive too, but that one seems less royally loving finicky about positioning than HT does, for some reason.

Yeah I have no idea whats up with that. With Monk I can pretty easily dance the flank/rear line even with a crappy tank that likes to spin mobs out of boredom but the same activity on drg ends up with a lot of whiffs on heavy thrust. WHICK WACK, poo poo *moves left a little*, WHICH WACK poo poo *goes all the way to flank center, tank spins mob at last second* WHICK WACK GOD DAMNIT MOTH.. ok just fuckin burn jump cooldowns and try again.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
If I had to guess, I think it's all in the animation. Most Dragoons look like they're a bit to the left relative to where they actually are. I realized I had a lot more problems trying to get Heavy Thrust off as a Roegadyn than I did as a Lalafell.

EDIT: Or is it right and I'm dyslexic? Either way, they seem a bit off-kilter, where Monk animations are much more centered.

Double EDIT: I just wish they'd just make Jump behave like the Dives and just make it another gap closer. There's little reason to keep it as-is, for the most part, aside from "TRUE DRAGOON RETURN TO POSITION".

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I want to believe this is parody. Satire. I want to believe so bad.

• Locked thread