Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

mma posters here like to see mma "purists" get mad too so I'm not sure why you're assuming they're referring to goons

If you aren't a fan of MMA are you likely to be hanging out on the Underground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Does Chael have any remaining credibility?

quote:

According to Sonnen he thinks you could see Brooks debut in April or May and he also teased that he had a good inkling of who he might be put up against saying, "I have a pretty good idea who his opponent is."

"I'm going to keep that close to the vest," he said. "It would not make sense to give him a bottom-tier guy."

Since he wouldn't give a name, Sonnen was pressed on if he knew it was actually a ranked fighter or not.

"Well he is not a bottom-tier guy, I can tell you that," Sonnen said. "You will know who he is and he will be a pretty-heavy favorite to win. Punk is not going to come in as the favorite."

Huge long interview here: http://www.mmamania.com/2014/12/8/7351355/chael-sonnen-on-cm-punk-ufc-fans-will-know-first-opponent-heavy-favorite-to-win-mma

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Marching Powder posted:

this whole thing won't not be funny. here's an example of a time when an mma guy went to pro wrestling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_12qn29WKA

Wasn't this literally the drill instructor scene from starship troopers

Angle (legitimately) broke the guy before's ribs so this guy decided to try his ~sick cage fighting~ and owned him super hard, then got owned super hard in retaliation for making Angle look like a dummy on national TV

e:

quote:

Kurt came over and said who wants a chance, I raised my hand as fast as I could. Just because, I knew that I wrestled, my old coach was Danny Shay…Danny only lost to him in the Olympic trials by a couple of points, so I knew I had trained with guys that are as good as him. I wasn't really scared of him, plus I had the MMA stuff and I knew he wasn't really into that as much. So I got in there, they said the rules were no striking…and I caught him in a key lock…he's a strong guy. He's freakin' strong. So I caught him in a key lock, pulled him into a Kamura and tried to snap his arm off. It nearly worked, you guys can see how close it was.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If he did an omoplata instead he mighty've finished that instead of being counted out, right?

or what that not a real shoot

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't this literally the drill instructor scene from starship troopers

Angle (legitimately) broke the guy before's ribs so this guy decided to try his ~sick cage fighting~ and owned him super hard, then got owned super hard in retaliation for making Angle look like a dummy on national TV

Everything about that situation was retarded, up to and including the fact that Eddy, Benoit and Hardcore Holly decided to take liberties on the kid ON PAY PER VIEW in that years ROYAL loving RUMBLE in retaliation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

If he did an omoplata instead he mighty've finished that instead of being counted out, right?

or what that not a real shoot

It was a real shoot. They ran the trainees through drills to tire them out before they had Kurt shoot on them to show them they ain't poo poo, only for Puder to come in and almost break his arm. The ref luckily thought quickly to count the bullshit pin because Kurt was never going to tap.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wasn't Kurt injured too when they shot that, like his knee or his neck was hosed up again which was his excuse as to why he got owned

Sanguinia posted:

Everything about that situation was retarded, up to and including the fact that Eddy, Benoit and Hardcore Holly decided to take liberties on the kid ON PAY PER VIEW in that years ROYAL loving RUMBLE in retaliation.

beginning of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXAsImy3IlM

in fact, everyone in this video is retarded

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't Kurt injured too

Please be more specific, this could refer to any point in the last 13 years of Kurt's career.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

"He didn't get all of it"

This looks entirely like its Jericho's fault.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Lid posted:

Generally Punk's GTS looks not so great because it's tough to make it look good without really stiffing the dude in the face, which is generally what you don't want to do. In Japan, stiff wrestling is more acceptable and encouraged, so KENTA can knee the poo poo out of his opponent and it looks awesome, especially when the dude sells it by faceplanting like in the earlier gif.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lloyd Boner posted:

Generally Punk's GTS looks not so great because it's tough to make it look good without really stiffing the dude in the face, which is generally what you don't want to do. In Japan, stiff wrestling is more acceptable and encouraged, so KENTA can knee the poo poo out of his opponent and it looks awesome, especially when the dude sells it by faceplanting like in the earlier gif.

It's also trickier with bigger dudes, both in terms of the lift and getting a convincing connection with the knee, since their feet need to be on the ground at that point.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

There was that one time he destroyed Rey's nose with it that looked really good.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Lid posted:

If that was their Payback match, it was completely sloppy with bunch of obvious blown spots and terrible attempts at throwing punches or any other strike. Everyone raved about it though for some reason.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

colonel_korn posted:

Does Chael have any remaining credibility?

Not after this. Seriously, the guy doesn't even know what weight class he's going to be in and Chael says he knows who his opponent is going to be? So much bullshit there....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Viper_3000 posted:

Not after this. Seriously, the guy doesn't even know what weight class he's going to be in and Chael says he knows who his opponent is going to be? So much bullshit there....

Not that I believe that this is the straw that breaks the camels back regarding Sonnen's credibility, or that Sonnen is saying anything remotely true, but the weight class issue isn't a problem if this mystery man has a history of fighting at 170 and 185 themselves.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Aurain posted:

Not that I believe that this is the straw that breaks the camels back regarding Sonnen's credibility, or that Sonnen is saying anything remotely true, but the weight class issue isn't a problem if this mystery man has a history of fighting at 170 and 185 themselves.

Sonnen vs. Punk would rule in NJPW, but I can't see Punk being remotely ready to fight a guy on Chael's level in a shootfight anytime soon.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

If chael didn't have his drugs punk could probably break him mentally in the pre fight promos. You'd have one round of chael whooping him then he'd dive into a guillotine.

I'm kidding but only kind of.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Lets be clear. Even if CM punk was in the top 100 talents ever in mma, like lesnar, he would absolutely get destroyed by Sonnen if it was his first fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
cm punk and sonnen are friends, that's why chael is claiming he knows who punk will be fighting. not because he is the possible opponent. also, chael isn't a ufc fighter and that fight would never get approved by any athletic commission.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I'm a chael fan so i hope in like 2 years when his suspension is up he doesn't fight again. They'd test him rigorously and i don't want to see him off the juice and looking bad.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bundt Cake posted:

Lets be clear. Even if CM punk was in the top 100 talents ever in mma, like lesnar, he would absolutely get destroyed by Sonnen if it was his first fight

which would be cool to see, nonetheless

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Thankfully the lying cheater Chael Sonnen is currently unable to fight, saving CM Punk from this match.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, since he's got a black belt, how about Punk vs Al Bundy?
Al would easily win. He once got four submissions in one tournament to clinch the city championships.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah an important thing to note is the commission won't approve a fight with a good experienced guy against a 0-0 guy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The NSAC would push anything through for the Best (Friend) in the World.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

Yeah an important thing to note is the commission won't approve a fight with a good experienced guy against a 0-0 guy.

Looks like Punk's gonna make his debut in Japan!

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I can think of one guy around Punk's level that would be a good booking, hell he took Frank Trigg to the limit, but is a Styles Clash considered an illegal spike in the Unified Rules if the other guy tucks his chin?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thauros posted:

Sonnen vs. Punk would rule in NJPW

don't tease me with things that won't happen

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here is an article in Rolling Stone where they talk to Punk.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/cm-punk-on-joining-ufc-leaving-wwe-and-getting-punched-in-the-face-20141210

quote:

I understand other peoples' point of view about, "Oh, there's great fighters out there like Ben Askren." My only point on that is, "Don't be mad at me, Ben. Be mad at [UFC President] Dana [White]." I'm sure Ben Askren's a nice guy. If he's mad at me, I understand. But if the Blackhawks came to me before Dana and Lorenzo did and were like, "We're gonna put you in goal," I'd be like, "That's great. I played a little hockey when I was a kid."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Are there any techniques you're most looking forward to improving?
Oh, striking, absolutely. I'm a raw nerve. I'm exposed to the world here, and I don't think people realize I'm used to this. Nothing scares me. Nothing embarrasses me, so I'm gonna say it right now: Striking's my weakest point, and I'm excited to get that up to the level where I feel it needs to be. But who's to say what it takes to step into the Octagon? I think I need to up my game on everything, and that's the plan, but I think striking's going to be the most fun for me.

On the flipside, what skill of yours might surprise people?
I would definitely surprise people with my ground game. I'm very comfortable on the ground. I think it'd be great if, once we nail down a fight date and an opponent, I think it's gonna be wonderful if he underestimates me.

:haw: I love Punk.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

As an aging drugged up fight promoter/ TV producer with a big background in Taekwondo, Joe Rogan should face Eric Bischoff on the undercard of Punk's fight.

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012

Huh. Some of Punk's answers sound like it could all go very similarly wrong if this adventure doesn't go so well.

'Oh hey Dana and Lorenzo FLEW TO CHICAGO to sign me! WWE didn't do that, look at it as an example of how they do business so differently!'. I'd have a hard time believing WWE wouldn't fly out to talk to someone already very famous to sign them up, or that Dana and Lorenzo would personally fly out to Chicago to discuss why he's being cut after refusing to turn up to fight.

I can sympathise that he's excited about fulfilling a dream, but it sounds like he's got some really rose-tinted ideas of life as a cage fighter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cultlife posted:

Huh. Some of Punk's answers sound like it could all go very similarly wrong if this adventure doesn't go so well.

'Oh hey Dana and Lorenzo FLEW TO CHICAGO to sign me! WWE didn't do that, look at it as an example of how they do business so differently!'. I'd have a hard time believing WWE wouldn't fly out to talk to someone already very famous to sign them up, or that Dana and Lorenzo would personally fly out to Chicago to discuss why he's being cut after refusing to turn up to fight.

I can sympathise that he's excited about fulfilling a dream, but it sounds like he's got some really rose-tinted ideas of life as a cage fighter.

Dana and Lorenzo or just one of them do a lot of face to face meetings with fighters to get deals done or clear up problems. Sometimes Lorenzo has to do them alone because the fighter doesn't like Dana.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I know very little of pro wrestling but from what I've heard Vince McMahon can be a bit of an rear end while Dana & Lorenzo generally do give special attention to the stars. Punk would have to gently caress up really badly, like failing his drug test after suddenly dropping out of a main event PPV, to be put on any sort of shitlist with those two.

If Punk were half as famous or already had some sort of unfortunate MMA career prior to joining UFC it could go differently, but basically he's a 0-0 really really famous guy who they get to develop as a pet project. They'll let him live in their mansions if he asked.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm now imagining them having a sleepover at Dana's and Dana showing off his guns carved out of bibles.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm now imagining them having a sleepover at Dana's and Dana showing off his guns carved out of bibles.

I would kill to see CM Punk in one of those videos Nick the Tooth does with Dana when he goes on a boys trip to his place in Maine and does stupid poo poo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bubba Smith posted:

I know very little of pro wrestling but from what I've heard Vince McMahon can be a bit of an rear end

In response to the Punk situation and ruining several prospective draws, Vince McMahon was quoted as saying that millenials don't step up to reach for the brass ring (Note that wrestling is almost fully scripted and breaking script is generally a punishable offense).

Since then, the people that Vince likes have been doing promos about going for the brass ring while new talent are being told to lose in 2 minutes in embarrassing ways.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's the whole problem with wrestling. You get hurt like an athlete, but unlike an athlete whether you succeed or fail is only tangentially related with your talent or effort.

Nobody else has "reached for the brass ring." What way is there to even do that? How dare the company that pushed Khali as a main eventer, dicked CM Punk around for years, and had to be forced to let Daniel Bryan be in the main event pretend that this is a meritocracy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tezzor posted:

That's the whole problem with wrestling. You get hurt like an athlete, but unlike an athlete whether you succeed or fail is only tangentially related with your talent or effort.

Nobody else has "reached for the brass ring." What way is there to even do that? How dare the company that pushed Khali as a main eventer, dicked CM Punk around for years, and had to be forced to let Daniel Bryan be in the main event pretend that this is a meritocracy.

The company is run by a literal crazy person. There is no logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol, so CM Punk isn't remotely a blue belt. He's trained infrequently with Rener.

• Locked thread