Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

valve made everyone hype for what they thought was at least going to be a relatively decent meal but when it got to the table it was a mcdonalds burger with multiple bites taken out of it and soggy fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second Christmas update. This is like the Grordbort update preceding the Christmas one. I'm pretty sure this isn't the entire thing.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
+"TF_DuckBadge_Style10" "Quackston Hale"

Someone get that

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The EOTL music and animation were great, but the humor just fell flat. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted an action movie (which is what the trailer showed) or funny SFM short, so they compromised with mediocrity.

The story built up to nothing and went nowhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The animation probably should've stayed as a fan made SFM instead of being turned into a whole update. I think it suffered from overhype because of that. It had nothing on Expiration Date.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
oh boy a tf2 update

lol bonus ducks so wackey randome

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
like I enjoy playing TF2 as much as the rest of you but at this point TF2's niche in valve's economy is just to sucker 12 year olds into buying lottery tickets so that it can fund advances in the games that Valve actually gives a gently caress about like DOTA and CSGO

like instead of balance patches, they made a halfassed change to the demoman that got everybody into so much of an uproar that they're never balancing TF2 ever again and when pressed will claim "hey we tried balancing tf2 and it pissed everybody off, enjoy the heavy"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wow for as much hate as this update is getting you would have thought it bluffed heavy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I regret buying the duck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the EOTL director's Tumblr:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

The Kins posted:

From the EOTL director's Tumblr:

It's going to be some christmas hats/cosmetic gun skins, and some bullshit steam event based on RNG that distributes extremely rare hats to a random .0001% of people who craft cards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mabels big day posted:

I regret buying the duck.

we all make mistakes

my mistakes do not involve buying the duck :tipshat:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Buy the duck if nothing else than the Quack noisemaker. That's why I did.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Does the duck stuff do anything other than make a number bigger? Can you earn anything worthwhile from this?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Is it just the duck and the sun that are the new unusual effects? Anything else?

There are four actually. Morning Glory, Death at Dusk (both sun and clouds one), Frostbite (white particles) and Molten Mallard (the duck one).

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

If anything this update will further enforce Valve's methodology of never telling anyone anything about anything that could possibly happen, ever, until 10 minutes after it's live.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does the duck stuff do anything other than make a number bigger? Can you earn anything worthwhile from this?

Jusupov posted:

collect enough and your duck turns in to a duck unusual item that you can use on a hat, not all hats will work though

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

I thought that was a joke.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh, they abandoned the trainmap? That's a shame.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Oh, they abandoned the trainmap? That's a shame.

Too hard for new players.

Remember that this wasn't decided the day that the EOTL crates started dropping, so Valve didn't even give them time to rework the map that was less complex than the most complex community/official map included.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't know how you can release two versions of sd_doomsday and something with robots on mars and then say the traintracks map is too confusing for someone new to the game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They may have just thought it was very bad but wanted to say something kind of constructive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So does "too confusing for someone new to the game" stand for "we don't want to pay you royalties for us using your map officially" then?

Baron von Eevl posted:

They may have just thought it was very bad but wanted to say something kind of constructive.

Or that. If it was actually legit bad, I could understand saying that.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It was another one of those tf2maps.net maps where they ignored all feedback that involved actual gameplay and instead focused on making the map look nice.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

From what I played of the in-progress build this is probably it, like how the Nanobalaclava was supposed to be an all-class hat but they put it on the invisible class instead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Can't we play this map and see for ourselves? I thought they'd released the custom map file.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

lovely Wizard posted:

I thought that was a joke.

Okay, now I need to know now if I can unusualify an Armoured Authority and have full-on General Quacken with the Fancy Dress Uniform and Deadliest Duckling.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Is there anything good in the EOTL crates, or should I not bother.

Holy poo poo, people are mad on the Valve TF2 forums

JB50 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So how many ducks do you have to collect exactly before you get something?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Quick question I didn't see in the thread.

When I pick Quick Join to join a type of map (instead of picking a server itself) it always connects me with european servers (ie stockholm, luxembourg) even though I'm based in the US.

However when I manually pick a server it shows servers in the US. Ping on these is around 35-40, ping on the euro servers are 100+ms.

Is there something I'm missing in a config? Or is that the punishment for quick joining a server?

If you're going to use quickplay, get it to give you a list of servers, otherwise you could end up anywhere. You're not missing anything, valve just doesn't give a poo poo.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

pisshead posted:

If you're going to use quickplay, get it to give you a list of servers, otherwise you could end up anywhere. You're not missing anything, valve just doesn't give a poo poo.

Or dont use quickplay and just search for the map you want in the server browser.

Its not complicated.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I'm not paying money for the privilege to collect virtual ducks. I wish good luck to all those who do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like something new's coming: The default wrench now has a weapon description, and there's an unused sound definition for a "Speedpad" building.

code:
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ //
// SPEEDPAD
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ //
"Building_Speedpad.Boost"
{
    "channel" "CHAN_STATIC"
    "volume" "1.0"
    "soundlevel" "SNDLVL_74dB"
    "wave" ")weapons/speed_pad.wav"
}

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JB50 posted:

Is there anything good in the EOTL crates, or should I not bother.

Holy poo poo, people are mad on the Valve TF2 forums

I dunno man. Your opinion, probably, varies from mine.

http://www.trade.tf/items/updates

Three items there that I'm interested in.

Double Dynamite, Double Dog Dare Demo Pants, and a toss up on North Polar Fleece and Snow Sleeves.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Soldier coat from the movie isn't in the item schema, it's not in the crates. It's not even in the game.

Why would they do that to us

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There is literally one single guy out there who is convinced people roll winter coat sleeves up to their elbows overtop other long-sleeve shirts and no one can stop him from putting weird rolled-up coats into this video game.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

puchu posted:

I'm not paying money for the privilege to collect virtual ducks. I wish good luck to all those who do.

The duck misc should have been free (possibly behind an achievement), but with the token system for those that want to speed up the grind. As it is, this event feels thrown together without much thought...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CraigK posted:

like I enjoy playing TF2 as much as the rest of you but at this point TF2's niche in valve's economy is just to sucker 12 year olds into buying lottery tickets so that it can fund advances in the games that Valve actually gives a gently caress about like DOTA and CSGO

like instead of balance patches, they made a halfassed change to the demoman that got everybody into so much of an uproar that they're never balancing TF2 ever again and when pressed will claim "hey we tried balancing tf2 and it pissed everybody off, enjoy the heavy"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FishMist posted:

Hope this update doesn't take the place of the usual christmas stuff...

Valve literally cancelled christmas for dota so I wouldnt get my hopes up.

the movie was ok but nothing special. I don't think the lack of dialogue was a bad thing though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Anatharon posted:

Valve literally cancelled christmas for dota so I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Yeah but they could easily get 100% of their goodwill back entirely by releasing a Pudge Santa hat. Not sure TF2 has any sort of similar trump card.

Also previous Christmas update non-cosmetic content :

Australian Christmas 2010 : 13 New Weapons + CP_Degrootkeep (+ item test)
Australian Christmas 2011 : 8 New Weapons + CP_Foundry
Mecha Update 2012 (essentially the christmas update that year) : 3 New Weapons + MVM_Bigrock
Australian Christmas 2013 : Mostly major balance changes to 7 weapons
Australian Christmas 2014 : ???

• Locked thread