Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tehan posted:

In 1444, Giovanni diablerized Cappadocius. Anticlimactic, huh? The Revised Clanbook skims over it. The first edition one does too. The Cappadocian Clanbook's history ends with Giovanni as 'loyal' subclan of Cappadocian. I suspect it's covered in a series of books called the Giovanni Chronicles, but I don't have them - if anyone else has any insight, please chime in.

Yeah, they're just awful, since it took a long time for WW to approach competence with regard to writing adventures.

The first one starts with your mortal PCs being tapped like kegs, shovelheaded into strong-blooded roadblocks, abused by the Founders of the Cam, and so on, and winds up with you being largely passive observers to Augie's unsuccessful bite on the Big Cap (he couldn't fully absorb the soul because Occult Reasons). The second and third have your (probably 6th gen) vampires chasing "Imbroglio" Giovanni around to thwart his quest for apotheosis, meeting the leading lights of the Sabbat (who have Humanity 0 because they're in seclusion "working on the Paths," and yet don't tear you and each other apart), and being toyed with by a Setite (as 450 year old 6th gen vampires, btw). And then (the unabsorbed chunk of) Cappadocious comes back as a wraith.

So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Technically, Augustus was lucky to not absorb all of Cappadocius. It's basically the only reason he didn't just get his brain overwritten.

Diablerizing Antediluvians: it just never works out well.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
It didn't work on Saulot, [Tzimisce], or [Lasombra], so why the gently caress would it work on any other Antediluvian? :v:

To be fair, Saulot has an unmatched mastery of his own soul and those of others, [Tzimisce] used its master of Vicissitude to overtake the body of its childe as he was draining it, and [Lasombra] was never actually diablerized. So... yeah.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

xanthan posted:

What path or road or whatever is Caine on?

Plot Armor path

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Ironically, he isn't on the Path of Caine.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

brb on fire posted:

I've never really gotten into Wraith. It's a REALLY serious roleplaying environment and I've never been good at those. It's also really depressing right up until the point you eventually 'win'.

On the other hand, Orpheus (the Wraith reboot miniseries) was rather damned awesome. Very little goth mopeyness, a great strand of rising action, and you weren't generally risking having your soul turned into a kettle for eternity.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Technically, Augustus was lucky to not absorb all of Cappadocius. It's basically the only reason he didn't just get his brain overwritten.

Diablerizing Antediluvians: it just never works out well.
It worked for Troile.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tehan posted:

He's on the slightly different Path of I'm Caine. All of the sins are "not being Caine".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pickled Tink posted:

It worked for Troile.

Well, except for the Gehenna scenario where it turns out that was an elaborate fake on Brujah/Ilyes' part, anyway.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Tehan posted:

To add on to my previous question, what is the Path of Caine and how different is it from whatever Caine's actually on?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

xanthan posted:

To add on to my previous question, what is the Path of Caine and how different is it from whatever Caine's actually on?

Mostly the Path of Caine is about examining oneself for flaws and weaknesses in the vampiric condition, understanding them, and seeking to overcome them. Ideally, one strives to be more like Caine, the Dark Father. The core ethics of the Path are of wisdom and restraint, of developing one's will, and learning as much as possible about the history of vampires and their abilities. It's also one of the Paths that encourages diablerie so you can approach Caine in power.

Since Caine has already reached the apex of what it is to be a vampire and is, you know, Caine, he has no reason to seek knowledge of his own powers or history. He lived it, after all. Caine is likely on no path at all. There's no reason to believe he's seeking Golconda as he either doesn't care about it or has already reached it. Of course this also depends on the Storyteller's views of Caine and the death of Abel.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

Mostly the Path of Caine is about examining oneself for flaws and weaknesses in the vampiric condition, understanding them, and seeking to overcome them. Ideally, one strives to be more like Caine, the Dark Father. The core ethics of the Path are of wisdom and restraint, of developing one's will, and learning as much as possible about the history of vampires and their abilities. It's also one of the Paths that encourages diablerie so you can approach Caine in power.

Since Caine has already reached the apex of what it is to be a vampire and is, you know, Caine, he has no reason to seek knowledge of his own powers or history. He lived it, after all. Caine is likely on no path at all. There's no reason to believe he's seeking Golconda as he either doesn't care about it or has already reached it. Of course this also depends on the Storyteller's views of Caine and the death of Abel.

Caine achieving Golconda would require him to admit that he's made a mistake somewhere that he needs to atone for - something that would probably take the heatdeath of the universe for him to finally get around to.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

Caine achieving Golconda would require him to admit that he's made a mistake somewhere that he needs to atone for - something that would probably take the heatdeath of the universe for him to finally get around to.

Well, again it depends on his reasons for killing Abel. On the one hand, he may have been jealous of his brother and murdered him. On the other, he may have sacrificed him because Abel was that which he loved most. And even then, you could still go both ways. If it was murder then Caine either couldn't achieve Golconda, or didn't bother. If it was dear sacrifice it was probably more of an "I don't deserve it" kind of thing. Either way, Caine is Caine and there's next to nothing that will make him change.

Hell, even in one of the Gehenna scenarios, they have Abel's shade show up and say it can go either way. The storyteller can have Caine be a prick and just walk through his dead brother's ghost, or he can break down and beg forgiveness (which Abel grants because he's a pretty chill dude who loves his brother). Either way ends in Caine's death because he's got Lilith, the lost Antediluvians, and the PCs (for what they're worth :v: ) arrayed against him, or he accepts Abel's silent offer of Final Death and crumbles to ash at his brother's touch.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Tehan posted:

Did somebody call for some :words:? Because I thought I heard someone calling for some :words:

Thanks, I love this stuff.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yeah, they're just awful, since it took a long time for WW to approach competence with regard to writing adventures.

The first one starts with your mortal PCs being tapped like kegs, shovelheaded into strong-blooded roadblocks, abused by the Founders of the Cam, and so on, and winds up with you being largely passive observers to Augie's unsuccessful bite on the Big Cap (he couldn't fully absorb the soul because Occult Reasons). The second and third have your (probably 6th gen) vampires chasing "Imbroglio" Giovanni around to thwart his quest for apotheosis, meeting the leading lights of the Sabbat (who have Humanity 0 because they're in seclusion "working on the Paths," and yet don't tear you and each other apart), and being toyed with by a Setite (as 450 year old 6th gen vampires, btw). And then (the unabsorbed chunk of) Cappadocious comes back as a wraith.

So yeah.

The fourth Giovanni Chronicle was actually really good, partly because it was Goodfellas with fangs. The players start off as a pack of mortals in the 1920's who are ghouled by the head of the Giovanni family in Boston in an effort to bring a diverse group of talents together to help him dominate the burgeoning liquor trade. There's a whole build-up where the PCs are given various tasks to complete with star performers being embraced earlier than others. It wraps up in the 1970's with the PCs trying to fight off a powerful group of vampires who mean them harm (who are actually the PCs from the previous three Giovanni Chronicles) and simultaneously beat a federal indictment for racketeering and organized crime.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a vampire. To me, being a vampire was better than being President of the United States. Even before I first wandered into the cabstand for an after-school ghouling, I knew I wanted to be a part of them. It was there that I knew that I belonged. To me, it meant being somebody in a neighborhood that was full of nobodies. They weren't like anybody else. I mean, they did whatever they wanted. They double-parked in front of a hydrant and nobody ever gave them a ticket. In the summer when they drank blood all night, nobody ever called the cops."

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

OAquinas posted:

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a vampire. To me, being a vampire was better than being President of the United States. Even before I first wandered into the cabstand for an after-school ghouling, I knew I wanted to be a part of them. It was there that I knew that I belonged. To me, it meant being somebody in a neighborhood that was full of nobodies. They weren't like anybody else. I mean, they did whatever they wanted. They double-parked in front of a hydrant and nobody ever gave them a ticket. In the summer when they drank blood all night, nobody ever called the cops."

Man, now I really want a vampire mobster film.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

UrbicaMortis posted:

John Landis film called Innocent Blood did that.

Though not in a Goodfellas sort of way.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

mauman posted:

John Landis film called Innocent Blood did that.

Though not in a Goodfellas sort of way.

It's got a great cast. Robert Loggia and Don Rickles, etc.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

UrbicaMortis posted:

I remember seeing some hideous straight-to-DVR thing about Gangstas vs Vampires. It was... Yeah.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
A vampire mobster flick would indeed be great, but only if it was a cross between Johnny Dangerously and Dracula: Dead and Loving It. And Gary Oldman would have to be in it somewhere.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Automatic Slim posted:

It's got a great cast. Robert Loggia and Don Rickles, etc.

That's about all it had though. Not a very good movie.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, last time we got another lead in the case of the kidnapped Barabus. Will this one finally be the one that brings some concrete answers? We'll have to see.

Here, we find one entrance to Glaze, the club we've been pointed towards. The other entrance is the main one, we're taking the back door because we want to be stealthy.

Now that we have the code, we can enter. And I know what you're thinking - "Wait, they put plot progression behind a password? What's stopping you from sequence-breaking this by looking the code up?". The answer to that is that the keypads are broken before you learn the code. Convenient!

Since we came in through the back door, we can just skip past this guard...

...and make our way up the stairs to where Johnny is hiding out. You wouldn't know this, but I do, because I played this game before. IIRC, you can convince that guy to let you through, but this is easier.

Up on the second floor, there's a bit of basic sneaking, and then we're right in front of the door leading to Johnny's office of sorts.

Now, Johnny is behind those doors. In the actual canon run, I just snuck in and shanked the motherfucker while his back was turned, because stealth killing him gives bonus XP. That's not as fun as what happens when you just walk in, though, so I'm going to show you what happens there instead.

I'm looking for someone and you're going to tell me where they are.
[Listen] You got somethin' to say to me, bitch? Who let you into Chinatown anyway? You here for your mother? Ha, yeah, well we'll give her back after she's done with the last twenty guys.
My patience is waning... Where's Barabus? I know you have him.
Who told you that? Ho-how-how would you know about that? Who are you? Answer me!
You don't know who you're dealing with, Johnny.

Suddenly, this guy pops up on the TV and fucks up our perfectly working intimidation.

You told me that guy was a nobody! Just what the hell did you get us involved in?
Shoot it. You'll find out.

Johnny obliges, and as expected, it barely fazes us.

What the gently caress? I shot you! You're dead!
That's exactly it, Johnny... it IS dead. It's quite difficult to kill something that's already dead. And I assure you, it's not wearing a vest, the bullet entered cleanly through the lower abdomen.
Don't listen to him, Johnny. I'm wearing a vest.
[Listen] Normally, a bullet of that caliber would likely ricochet and tear up the small intestine, but as you can see, it exited cleanly through the back with little external bleeding... the reason being: Its internal organs have atrophied.
I'm afraid he's right. And now that you know that, I have to kill you.

Poor bastard never had a chance. And with him dispatched of, our attention is drawn to the man on the TV. This is where the conversation starts when you stealth-kill Johnny.

You have no idea what you're dealing with.
I do, actually. If at all anyone here is in the dark, so to speak, it is you. You have no idea who I am or how I know what I do, but I have been observing you since you entered Chinatown.
Then you also know that I'm going to kill you.
If you'd like to make an attempt, you'll find me at the Fu Syndicate. I'm a very busy individual, please do not keep me waiting long.
Who are you?
I must also protect my true identity. You may refer to me as "The Mandarin". You are searching for one of your kind, I understand. I have him at my facility. Come to the Fu Syndicate building... we'll discuss terms of release.
I'm coming.

Of course, while the Mandarin might have known he was dealing with vampires, he didn't know he was dealing with a vamp that gave her last gently caress to give somewhere back during the sewers. He's SO getting sucked dry.

On the way out, I kill all the Tong. Just because. Enjoy this picture of Melissa backstabbing the first guy, while the second guy freaks out and empties his gun into the first guy because Melissa is behind him.

And since it's a combat zone, there's no problem with chowing down on the DJ to fill up on health and blood. I like this liberal definition of just what an "innocent" is. Also, with that last batch of experience, we ended up with 15 points, enough for the fourth dot in Fortitude. I'm really becoming a fan of this discipline - makes you feel like a god drat tank.

Anyway, we finally have a proper destination - the Fu Syndicate. Let's hope this doesn't turn into some Shadowrun poo poo with mass amounts of corporate security and fighting in cubicles and poo poo. And then a dragon coming down and nuking you because it's Chinatown, gotta have a dragon. Are dragons even a thing in the World of Darkness?

But before that, some odds and ends. First off, here's a little tidbit - you can haggle with the prostitutes and get a better price if you put points in Haggle. I think with enough Haggle and Appearance (which I believe impacts the original discount you get) you can snack on them for free. Not that we'll be doing that because noblesse oblige and all that jazz, but still, it's nice to know the option's there.

Secondly, Samuel Clemens in the thread asked if I was going to show what happens if I attack Mr. Ox. Personally, that never crossed my mind, since I simply assumed it would end with me getting nuked from orbit with magic poo poo, but hey, let's see what happens.

When you first strike him, he laughs, a bunch of light forms around him, and...

...shazam! He's gone! I still have no idea what the gently caress he exactly is, but be it demon or mage, I'm still very intimidated.

Now, the Fu Syndicate. Only one door is open, so let's see what's happening.

Man, this guy just has TVs everywhere. Smug prick thinking he's safe.

Think you scare me? No. I'm coming.

We step inside this weird, small room...

...and as the doors close, the room's ceiling opens and the floor rises up to bring us into another room. The Mandarin pipes up again.

Good. I am told you are a rather resourceful individual. This should make you a most intriguing specimen. You and your kind may play mortals for weaklings and fools, and that may be fitting for some, but you underestimate me.

Subject is female, appearance suggests early to late twenties, true age unknown.

As with the other, there are no vital signs... no heartbeat, no body heat - test chamber air sample is 97 percent carbon monoxide, normal respiration cannot take place. Subject is by all definition... clinically dead.

Hello in there. I'm going to run some tests on you. I'm interested in how you work, but only because it's my task to find the most efficient way to kill your kind. Please give me everything you've got! Begin the experiment.

Test chamber has been filled with ultraviolet light, releasing moderate UV radiation. Does that burn at all?

Subject exhibits no sign of pain or even physical discomfort. Shut down the lights. Conclusion: UV radiation does not produce the desired effect. Please, move on to the next chamber.

If you cooperate, I will give you a dog for your good behavior. I find my subjects prefer dog blood over the rats I normally give them.

Your kind is resourceful. Your survival instinct borders on animalistic. I'm curious about your innate abilities. Let us see what you can do. The walls are reinforced concrete, several feet thick. There is no other exit, believe me, it is my design.

You can probably dodge these lasers if you take your time. I said "gently caress that" and just jumped through the mess, taking moderate damage in the process.

Only the most simple creatures can survive dismemberment. I am told you can regenerate parts of your body; I'd much like to see this. I wonder, how many limbs can you lose before you cease to function?

The trick behind this room is shooting those boxes in the back - shooting them causes the blades to stop, and once you shoot all three, you can move on.

You've shown great resilience so far. Let's see how you do against some live targets. Proceed to the next room.

Sometimes myths are constructed around legitimate observations. Let us find out if there's any truth in an old superstition. Initiate Van Helsing experiment.

Does that hurt?

Not really. Sadly, we can't do as Jack says and shove the cross up this guy's rear end. A bullet from the Anaconda will have to suffice.

Still, Jack actually got the whole cross thing a bit wrong, as this could have worked, had the Mandarin understood the concept of True Faith. Should have called upon the Society of Leopold, pal, they could have shown you a thing or two about how to use True Faith. However, it could just as well be that just like with the Rötschreck and most disciplines, True Faith is downplayed.

Van Helsing hypothesis tests false. Well, when God fails, put your faith in the gun... proceed, commander.

And then a bunch of dudes file out of the doors at the top. They're fairly tough and supposedly have incendiary rounds, but it's nothing Fortitude and some slashing can't deal with. Sadly, these guys seem immune to feeding. Too much armor, I guess.

Subject has eliminated Belmont team. You are turning out to be a very useful guinea pig. But we have a conflict of interest: You continue to endure even though it's my instruction to incapacitate you. This calls for a more... drastic approach. Continue to the next room... I'm very enthusiastic about this next test.

Many regimes use electricity to torture information out of their captives. It would be useful if this applies to your kind as well, or will the voltage have results similar to fire? Let's find out.

No, it's not similar to fire - fire deals aggravated damage, electricity does not. QED. Anyway, the trick here is to shoot the things zapping you. I love how many problems in this experiment survival course boil down to "just shoot the thing". So unscientific.

You have demonstrated considerable mental and physical acumen. And I'm quite perplexed how something that should be dead can display such strong survival skills. Let's begin the final test. Step into the next room.

Standby... run a check on the extinguishers one more time. I've already determined fire is a weakness of your kind; I would like to know more about the psychological effect it has on you and how it may be exploited.

So now we've got a room full of flamethrowers. Thankfully, the game doesn't simulate the Rötschreck (the instinctual fear of fire), so we can actually do something specific and not just frenzy our rear end off, which would probably not go well. Guess Melissa spent a whole lot of points in Courage. The solution here is obvious:

Just shoot the thing.

KABOOM!

Turns out the glass may have been bullet-proof, but it was not explosion-proof. The guards are easily dealt with, and we can then just hop out through the window.

Why hello there, weaponless intern? Hey, come over here for a second, I want to show you something...

CHOMP.

Now, there was one more room after the fire room - presumably they figured Rötschreck was going to set in, they'd be able to incapacitate Melissa, then do some autopsy poo poo to further find out how to most efficiently kill vampires. However, that backfired a bit. A bit explosively. We can break the windows here - I guess they didn't figure they needed it, since ideally the subject would be restrained at that point.

And inside, what a surprise, we find a squashed Odious Chalice! Just what Gary was looking for, even though the two of us have absolutely no idea just what the gently caress one could do with it. But I'm not going to question that, I'm getting paid in pin-up posters, which I guess is acceptable payment for just finding stuff in places we had to go anyway.

Oh, hey, what are you doing here? I'm not sure whether his AI bugged out or something, but he's not noticing anything. I don't even have to sneak, and...

CHOMP. All the scientific talk in the world and he didn't think of some sort of neck protection system. On his body, we find a cell key.

And in the next room over - some sort of warehouse complex where we were supposed to fight the Mandarin in - we find a cell that fits the key!

Barabus, I presume. Gary sent me to come get you. Let's get out of here.
Wait. We can't go yet. There are servers here. We need to hack in and delete all of their research. Should be a mainframe on this floor.
Leave it to me. Not a computer made I can't crack.
[Listen] Let's check the computers. Anything on Kindred needs to get wiped. Anyone interferes, you leave 'em to me... If I tore the lungs out of everyone in this place, it still wouldn't feel like revenge.
Alright, let's go delete those files.

But before we do that, there's another room on the upper level I would like to point out.

There's two rooms inside them, and both have these weird... gravesites? I honestly don't know what these are supposed to be, and as far as I can tell, they don't do anything.

Anyway, we make our way out of the warehouse area and out to the offices. The only enemies here are regular security guards, who wouldn't be a problem even if we didn't have Barabus storming on them, drawing their fire and murdering them.

All the doors in this area are locked. One is locked with a difficulty 10 lock, one needs a keycard (which one of the guards had) and one is opened through a computer in the second door. Let's start with the regular locked one.

There's a book in here that boosts our Melee (from 4 to 5, which is big), but we don't have enough Research to read it. I'll boost that later.

The computer has two emails, locked behind the password "elimination".

quote:

<Subject> Status
<From> Priestess

What is the current status of the project? A new subject was delivered to you last week. If I do not see results by the end of this month, you understand the consequences.

quote:

<Subject> RE: Progress Report
<From> Priestess

Article 2, the elimination of Wong Ho, is imminent. Kiki, his daughter, will also be eliminated as per Article 2a.

Hm, looks like the Kindred extermination research is being headed by a certain "Priestess"... hmm...

The second room has only a computer that controls the door to the third room, locked behind the password "Freedom".

Some more guards showed up, but, you know, they're just guards. You'd need to get like ten of them for them to start getting dangerous.

Anyway, another computer to deal with. The door code is hidden behind the password "Crane", and it's 7337. For what door is the code? We'll figure that out later, I guess. The Species-X data is hidden behind the password "autopsy", and provides a very handy "purge" command for us to just delete loving everything. Very shoddy network security going on here. No backups or anything.

Call Gary as soon as you leave. I need info and you were the payment.
Will do. And... thanks.

Then more guards bust in. The obvious happens.

Also, apparently the code was supposed to open this door, but Barabus is just all "gently caress this poo poo" and just breaks the door off. Works for me. There's nothing much left to do here, so let's just leave.

As soon as we leave the building, our attention is drawn to a ringing public phone. I wonder who that could be?

[Altered voice] Do you have Prince Albert in a can? [Normal voice] Well, better let 'im go, boss. You done real well, bringin' our boy back home. I got your info, hero.
Yes?
The same information I gave your prince, I also traded to the Giovanni for a bit of juicy gossip. You both had an equal opportunity to take it, they just had a bit more... initiative.
The Giovanni?
If you're going to play Jyhad, you need to do your homework. Knowledge is power and power has a price. But seeing as how I've already got what I want from them, I'll give you a freebie. Oh, you're going to love this - they've got skeletons in their closet... literally! I should have played the Catskills. Incest, organized crime, death cults - that's the Giovanni. Spaghetti and corpses, boss.
Tell me a secret about the Giovanni.
The Ankaran Sarcophagus isn't the only occult item they're hoarding. I hear they've got a collection that'd make Aleister Crowley come back from the dead - that is, assuming he isn't already sitting on a shelf somewhere over there.
Tell me where to find the Giovanni.
Oh, I'll tell you. And if you're foolish enough to go there, well, don't say I didn't warn you, boss. They have a mansion in the city. I'll draw you a map. They're having a reunion. Anyone who isn't a Giovanni shouldn't get within fifty yards.
I'll take my chances. Thanks for the info.
Am I the only one who saw this coming a million miles away?
It seems so.
You get 'em, boss. You give 'em one for Gary! If you should survive and ever need any information, come back and see me. I'm always here. And everywhere.
I'll remember that. Goodbye.

There is, of course, more to the Giovanni than what Gary lets on. Let's see what the thread has to say about them...

citybeatnik posted:

They're a horrible, horrible walking racist joke and seem to exist for sheer shock value.

Also, their founder is referred to as "Uncle Auggie" by most neonates and gets absolutely no respect from any methuselah, since they remember a time when he and his entire family were just a bunch of perverted merchant bankers.

brb on fire posted:

The Giovanni are basically a mix of Italian mobsters and death worshippers. They are generally quite social and often have rather wealthy tastes, but they're also kind of assholes. Big surprise, I know, but the Giovanni have their own problems. For one, when they feed from someone it's like what someone sinking their teeth into your shoulder would actually feel like. In other words, painful and distressing as poo poo. It's like the euphoria or sedative effect feeding normally has simply isn't there. So the Giovanni have to groom their food sources carefully (or just drain them dry) otherwise they sure as hell aren't going to forget about it.

That's all I know off the top of my head sadly.

citybeatnik posted:

There's also multiple smaller families that have been brought in to their ranks, ranging from cannibalistic Scottish bankers (based off of a real life, all-be-it destitute, bandit clan) to Aztec priests to Jewish kabbalists to Nazi deathcultists (the last two do not get along) to African slave traders and Chinese crime families.

The problem with the Giovanni is that each time they do something Really Cool, they end up loving up something terribly. They're the clan that had been feeding information to the Kuei-Jin for decades if not centuries about the Kindred, whether it was back story or literal kidnapped Kindred, in exchange for a few extra souls. And when the Keui-Jin had all the information they needed from the clan, they launched the assault on California and started systematically killing off all of the Giovanni envoys.

OAquinas posted:

The Giovanni can be summarized as "Necromantic Tremere bankers, but even more prone to fuckups."

They're the youngest Clan, with Augustus having eaten his way to 3rd in the late middle ages/early renaissance. They managed to systematically wipe out the Cappadocians...but missed a few very powerful ones that have returned as the Harbingers of Skulls. They prefer to Embrace within their (extended!) family, but outside groups are occasionally brought into the fold. Their interests are split between the spiritual (literally, death and the wraiths of the afterlife) and the material, primarily markets and banking.

If they have one advantage, it's that no one actively hates them (outside of the Harbingers). But respect is also something they generally lack--the Ventrue sneer at their financial dealings, the Tremere steer clear of them in terms of necromantic pursuits but otherwise look down on their abilities.

Their Final Nights endgame is basically getting crushed like bugs--possibly by player characters--since Augustus is only a few centuries old and never got Ashur's soul in the diablerie.

citybeatnik posted:

OAquinas posted:

If they have one advantage, it's that no one actively hates them (outside of the Harbingers). But respect is also something they generally lack--the Ventrue sneer at their financial dealings, the Tremere steer clear of them in terms of necromantic pursuits but otherwise look down on their abilities.

Giovanni players tend to overlook the whole lack of respect thing - the clanbook is written from the point of view of a stuck up, spoiled neonate that's been coddled by the family. It's all about how badass and powerful the Giovanni are.

And then there's the ancillae in there that occasionally goes "NOPE NOPE NOPE!" but no one pays any attention to him. This isn't even touching on the other issues that the clan has, such as the literal corpse humping ritual. For reasons.

About the only good thing about the Giovanni is the old cat lady from the Children of the Night book. She's always seen with a cat. It's a well fed and apparently well cared for cat.

It's just a different cat every evening.

Tehan posted:

Did somebody call for some :words:? Because I thought I heard someone calling for some :words:

The Giovanni were, I admit, problematic as gently caress during first edition, but so was everything back then - it's hard to read first edition books without flinching constantly, since everything's either a stereotype or an offensive stereotype. But their Revised clanbook was much, much better, and written by Greg Stolze to boot - here's a thread over in Traditional Games raving about him. It's nicely interweaved with the history of the real world and the World of Darkness, so it combines two of my favourite things - nattering about history and nattering about the oWoD.

According to the Giovanni themselves, their original roots were in the Jovian merchants and war profiteers that dabbled in weaponizing Roman ancestor worship - the spirit of the founder of the Jovian line is known as Dis Pater and is the family's biggest ally in the spirit world. The vampires in the family respect him, and even those in the family that know none of the dark secrets venerate him as the patron saint of the family. Apart from the spirit thing they were one of the first to jump aboard Christianity, and in their own twisted way are 'devout' Christians to this day. They grew with the Empire and became one of the most influential families in Rome, culminating with Emperor Jovian.

But, of course, Rome was doomed in the long run, and just as the family needed their spirit buddies most, the First Great Maelstrom sent the spirit world into as much chaos as the fall of the Western Roman Empire did the material world. The decline of the Roman Empire gave rise to way too many malevolent ghosts (known as Spectres) who slipped into the material world to joyride in the Germanic 'barbarians' pillaging the declining Empire, and when the barbarians died they continued their partnership with the spectres by attacking the great ghost city of Stygia. So with the material world in chaos and the ghost buddies AWOL, the Jovian family decided en masse 'gently caress this noise' and hosed off to the incredibly defensible island chain that would one day be known as Venice to ride out the chaos. This is the root of Clan Giovanni's heavy-handed relationship with spirits - they tried playing nice once and the spirits abandoned them in their time of need, so they don't ask nicely any more, except with family spirits. Because, y'know, family.

The rise of Venice was the rise of Giovanni, with the Jovians sitting on the ruling council from day one and renaming themselves to the Giovanni we all know and loathe as part of political maneuvering during the Iconoclastic controversy of the eight century (because 'Jovian' comes from the Latin 'Jove', another name for the Roman God Jupiter). Shortly after Charlemagne was crowned Emperor of the Franks, Doge Obelerio, who had managed to outmaneuver the Giovanni to seize power, called for Charlemagne to send forces to occupy Venice to prop him up, the Giovanni organized a rebellion against him and held off the Frankish army, lead by King Pippin, son of Charlemagne, for six months until Pippin had enough of mosquitoes and swamp diseases and went back home.

'King Pippin's Army Trying to Reach Venice' by Andrea Vicentino, painted ~1590

Over the next couple hundred years, the Giovanni re-established themselves, reaching the wealth and influence that they held as the Jovians before the fall of Rome. Around the year 1000, they caught the eye of the Cappadocians - one of the original 13 clans, with power over corpses and death, they were interested in Giovanni's ancestral knowledge of spirits. They tried to sweet-talk Augustus Giovanni, the patriarch of the family at the time, into the deal, not realizing that entering into negotiations with the head of a thousand-year-old merchant empire was akin to entering an arse-kicking contest with a centipede. The Giovanni clan knew something of vampires from previous offers of patronship from the Ventrue and Toreador, so he knew all the downsides of being a vampire that the Cappadocian Antediluvian 'forgot' to mention. The family debated it for a year and eventually decided to go for the deal with the devil, and even the family spirits and Dis Pater approved. They hammered out the logistics of having a family be both an actual functioning family as well as a vampire bloodline and accepted the Cappadocian's deal. Augustus was embraced by Cappadocius himself, and went on to embrace a number of members of his own family. An unknown number of these OG Giovanni, embraced by Augustus before he backstabbed the Cappadocians and became the new Antediluvian, are still technically of the clan Cappadocian rather than Giovanni, and mostly live under Venice, technically separate but still tenuous allies to the modern Giovanni.

The Giovanni were, of course, Up To Something, but that plan was on the slow boil. The mortal wing of the family became heavily engaged with the Crusades, ostensibly out of faith but likely heavily influenced by the insane amount of profit they made out of the deal and the opportunity to get in tight with the Papacy. They got super, super rich. And, with unlimited wealth, and probably related to the fact that it was actually run by immortal vampire assholes, they got weird. Incest, already fashionable due to a desire to keep their insanely old bloodline 'pure', became the kink du jure, and a few of the clan necromancers discovered it was easier to compel an angry spirit and not much got a spirit angrier than loving their corpse. They also dabbled in every other weird fetish under the sun, enabled by their insane wealth, influence, and political favour.

In 1444, Giovanni diablerized Cappadocius. Anticlimactic, huh? The Revised Clanbook skims over it. The first edition one does too. The Cappadocian Clanbook's history ends with Giovanni as 'loyal' subclan of Cappadocian. I suspect it's covered in a series of books called the Giovanni Chronicles, but I don't have them - if anyone else has any insight, please chime in. There's repercussions, of course - Cappadocian was decapitated but not exterminated, and it takes three hundred years for the last of the known Cappadocians to be stamped out (apart from the Giovanni OGs under Venice), and even then they reappeared as the Harbingers of Skulls in modern times. The Camarilla make disapproving noises, but they're dealing with the then-newly founded Sabbat and the Anarchs, so in the Promise of 1528 the Giovanni swore to stay out of Kindred politics and the Camarilla swore to let them, thus stopping the Ventrue from having direct competition in business and Toreador in the Church in exchange for tacit approval of the Cappadocian extermination.

After the Cappadocian were finally stamped out, Giovanni started branching. There was once a Scottish banking clan called the Dunsirn, who discovered one of their family had a taste for human flesh. They banished him to the swamp, where he founded his own family of cannibals, giving rise to the Legend of Sawney Bean. One day, the cannibal tribe returned from the swamp and killed and ate the family that banished their founder, and - shockingly - smoothly took their place in society. A couple hundred years later the cannibal bankers were still doing drat well for themselves, dominating trade with the Americas, and when Giovanni discovered their dirty little secret they decided they could appreciate a secret well kept and brought them into the fold. As a sidenote, the Garou have a weird interest in the Dunsirn.

Speaking of the Americas, the Conquest of the Americas sparked off the Third Great Maelstrom. The Giovanni who had gone over there to spread business interests were experienced from the Second Great Maelstrom of the Black Plague, so they were able to ride it out. The Aztec Priests, though quite skilled at their own brand of necromancy, were utterly unprepared and on the brink of extinction - so the Giovanni at Tenochtitlan got on the ghost phone to home and asked and received permission before making an offer to the leader of the Priesthood, called Pochtli. Things went well, since Pochtli to this day rules the Pisanob family. There is, however, a rumour that Pochtli and his subclan are descended from the Cappadocians rather than the Giovanni.

The third familial acquisition were the Milliners in the early 20th century. The Milliners had a huge rivalry going with the Kennedies (yes, those Kennedies) and in exchange for help with the feud, gave the Giovanni a huge foundation to work with in the USA. What exactly was done is a closely-kept secret, but all of the woes of the Kennedies, up to and including the assassination of JFK, have been blamed on the Milliners at some point. Whatever they actually did, the Giovannis were impressed, and the Milliners were made family in the 50s.

There's also minor families, including:

The della Passaglia, who traded with the east in the Renaissance and in modern times are experts on Kuei-Jin necromancy.
The Ghiberti, slave traders during the Triangle Trade and a PMC now, with their own brand of West African necromancy.
The Putanesca, skimmed from Sicilian Mafia families, used as street-level thugs, dealers and middle-men and pretty much the stereotype of mobster Giovanni.
The Rosselini, Roman mirrors of the Giovanni.

And a few others that are married into the family and may be brought into the fold proper:

St John, English Masons.
Li Wing, Chinese-American geomancers in San Francisco.
Beryn, Luxembourgian merchants similar to the Ghiberti.
Rothstein, Jewish-American Kabbalists and Las Vegas moguls.
Koenig, German death cultists and arms manufacturers.

Those last two don't really get along.

That brings us up to date. VtM players largely overlook the Giovanni - between their horrendous first edition and their staying out of Kindred politics, they seem like a one-trick pony who don't really do anything. But that's because they're not playing Vampire: The Masquerade. They're playing Wraith: The Oblivion, and it's a game most other vampires aren't even aware exists. And right up until the Sixth Maelstrom ate everyone's lunch they were playing it drat well - plus the veil between life and death is even thinner now, so they'd find it easier than ever before to rebuild. If it weren't for the fact that VtM doesn't give a single solitary gently caress that they're not playing it and is on track to ruin all of their poo poo forever, they'd be in a prime position to carve out an even larger empire out of the turmoil - and possibly enter the vampiric political game as a major player in their own right.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Tehan posted:

In 1444, Giovanni diablerized Cappadocius. Anticlimactic, huh? The Revised Clanbook skims over it. The first edition one does too. The Cappadocian Clanbook's history ends with Giovanni as 'loyal' subclan of Cappadocian. I suspect it's covered in a series of books called the Giovanni Chronicles, but I don't have them - if anyone else has any insight, please chime in.

So yeah.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The fourth Giovanni Chronicle was actually really good, partly because it was Goodfellas with fangs. The players start off as a pack of mortals in the 1920's who are ghouled by the head of the Giovanni family in Boston in an effort to bring a diverse group of talents together to help him dominate the burgeoning liquor trade. There's a whole build-up where the PCs are given various tasks to complete with star performers being embraced earlier than others. It wraps up in the 1970's with the PCs trying to fight off a powerful group of vampires who mean them harm (who are actually the PCs from the previous three Giovanni Chronicles) and simultaneously beat a federal indictment for racketeering and organized crime.

Well, that was a lot of interesting stuff. Then the thread started talking about vampire mobster movies, which is also interesting, but not as far as this update is concerned. Since the Giovanni information took up a lot of space, I suppose I'll be splitting this update here. In the next part, we'll take a look at the last sidequest of the game!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 10, 2014

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Images all seem broken to me.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Images work fine for me :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
baldurk did some work to lpix/lparchive a couple days ago that involved moving servers; maybe flush your DNS cache and try it again.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You missed some of the Manadarins dialogue.

If you hesitate before entering the second chamber. He says that if you cooperate he'll give you a dog for your good behaviour, and that he finds that subjects much prefer it to the rats he usually gives them.

Also, the "does that hurt?" dialogue is triggered in the spinning blades chamber when you get about two thirds of the way across.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pickled Tink posted:

You missed some of the Manadarins dialogue.

If you hesitate before entering the second chamber. He says that if you cooperate he'll give you a dog for your good behaviour, and that he finds that subjects much prefer it to the rats he usually gives them.

Also, the "does that hurt?" dialogue is triggered in the spinning blades chamber when you get about two thirds of the way across.

There's a couple of lines that are kind of bungled here, mostly because I proceeded too quickly, I guess. I skipped the hesitation line because there's like three more of them according to what I found in the files, so I just figured I might as well skip that one too. I guess I'll edit it back in.

If you look closely at the images, you can tell that in my case, the "does that hurt" line was triggered after I stepped squarely into the third room. I just wrote the stuff down the way they came in in my case, bar the dog line.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Psion posted:

baldurk did some work to lpix/lparchive a couple days ago that involved moving servers; maybe flush your DNS cache and try it again.

Still not showing up, unfortunately.

eta: Problem's just on my laptop, w/e thanks anyway

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 11, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, now that we've basically finished up all main quest business in Chinatown, it's time to deal with the last few odds and ends strewn about Chinatown and the game in general. By the end of this update, we should be standing right before the endgame. First, there's something new in the noodle shop we stole those eyes in.

Suddenly, there's somebody there!

Whenever there's something in brackets, that means she said that in Japanese and the subtitles were kind enough to translate it for us.

What?
I am (death). I am not like all the rest. I have no vengeance for you... yet.
No need for that! Who are you?
O-gami Yukie (I am). I am (death), demon hunter. I come to this city for the blood of the demon that kill my master. Do not interfere, my revenge will cut through you if it has to!
What demon?
[Listen] I hunt hengeyôkai. My sensei killed demon that killed my family and now I take the life of his killer. I follow trail of corpses from Japan to (Los Angeles). Hengeyôkai is here and it will die here!
What's a hengeyôkai?
Hengeyôkai is a demon that hides in the skin of man, but it is not man.
Do you know where the demon is?
I know he is nearby, (umm)... I lose its trail. Do you meet hengeyôkai?
How would I know if I had met one?
You would know one when you see it.
That helps. If I see one, I'll let you know.
(Really, eh?) I appreciate your concern for my vengeance... (thank you). Do not pity hengeyôkai. It is a bad demon. The kind that make little girl into hunter.
Before I go, I had a few other questions.
(What?)
What do you know about the Kuei-jin?
They are ghost people... ghosts in dead person. I do not like Kuei-jin; I do not like demons. Excuse me.
No offense taken. I had another question.
(What?)
Any other info you can tell me about this hengeyôkai?
Hengeyôkai scent smell like... sakana, fishes. I don't know why. Maybe other demons know why.
Smells don't really help me a whole lot. I'll try a different approach. See you.

Well, we were already heading to Ming-Xiao about her little fling with the Fu Syndicate, might as well ask about this hengeyôkai while we're at it.

I'd like to ask you a few questions.
What can I help you with?
Do you know of a hengeyôkai in Chinatown?
Ah yes, the hengeyôkai - Zygaena, I believe his name was. I had nearly forgotten him.
Then you know him?
He announced his prescence in our domain, and I granted him permission to operate. He does not act on my behalf, however, I can assure you.
Where can I find him?
I believe he said he operates an importing business and entertains clients at the Red Dragon.

I'm not buying the whole "he doesn't work for me" thing at all.

I found out about your little project with the Fu Syndicate.
You did? Interesting. Might I inquire as to who gave you that piece of information?
I did a little digging in their computer files... after I trashed the place.
Haha! I applaud you, Kindred. You must be a great warrior indeed.
I don't get it. Why are you involved with them?
I'm sorry. I thought you were aware... our people are at war. Do you think your elders would do any different?
But they tried to kill me, too!
Yes, I'm sure they did.
Whatever. I'm outta here.

I basically had to walk on eggshells during that conversation because I didn't want to risk pissing her off, because that would really throw a wrench in my plans. Anyway, I'm really wondering just how "at war" the Kindred and Kuei-jin are. Is this full blown "Sabbat of LA vs. Camarilla of LA" war? Is this "Anarchs of LA vs. Camarilla of LA" war where there's quite open hostility, but things haven't exploded into full blown combat just yet? Is this Phoney War phase levels of war?

When we head to the Red Dragon, we notice there's somebody new here.

That's a bit much to ask for some info, don't you think?
My pardons, you looked like someone who might have some interest in my product. Actually, you'd be surprised at the variety of people who fit that profile.
What else do you sell?
Let's just discuss your business, shall we?
Do you ever do business with a guy called Zygaena? Tell me all you know.
No. Anyone else, this would not be an issue. But him? No, I'm sorry, you're going to have to ask somebody else.
[Domination] YOU WILL TALK TO ME OR YOU'LL FEEL MY WRATH.
[Listen] How... unfortunate, but I'm afraid the individual you seek is capable of much worse. May I ask why you might wish to find him? Perhaps if I knew your reasons, I'd feel more at ease about divulging that information.
He's not long for this world.
Oh, you plan to kill him?
Yeah, why not?
Yes, that's what I wanted to hear. If that's your goal, I'd be willing to help to arrange a meeting with him.
Where?
I was supposed to meet him at the fish market tonight. You go in my place, but if you do, I hope your intentions are serious. He is a very serious man.
After tonight, he's going to be a very dead man. Goodnight.

You can also ask this guy (who seems to be some sort of handler, I guess) if he is Zygaena, and he will vehemently deny it. I guess there's nothing suspicious here.

:ssh: Yes, that actually is Zygaena, and yes, you can totally just kill him right now and finish the quest, because it takes like a dozen shotgun rounds to take him down, so your character just figures "well, this dude must have been some sort of supernatural, I guess it was the Hengeyôkai in human form. Go me!". But that's not as fun. Also, we get one less experience point out of it.

So, back to Yukie.

About the hengeyôkai...
(Where is it?) Where...?
I told him to meet me at the fish market. We can ambush him there.
You want to kill hengeyôkai with me? Why?

Because it gives us experience points, you silly goose, you.

Why not?
If you trick me, I kill you after hengeyôkai. Is this fair for you?
It's fair. Let's go.
Fish Market, (let's go). See you there, demon.
Yes.

And here we are at the fish market. Yukie is here, too, but she wants us to go first. Alright, I guess.

I love this visual of the two sneaking. All it needs is Silly Symphonies sneaking music.

OH NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? THIS IS TOTALLY NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!

What's so funny, rear end in a top hat?
You're both here: My hunter and my target. This is very convenient... hehe.
I think you've been getting high on your own supply.
Hehehehe hahaha heh-heh. Surprise!

AND THEN HE MORPHS INTO A BIG loving SHARK THING AND THE FIGHT IS ON.

Watch Boss Fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58FR3HX5x10

As the fight starts, Yukie goes straight into melee, which is normally your cue to hang back and shoot the poo poo out of the guy with the SPAS. That's what I did in the video, which I recorded in post.

I didn't do it in the regular run. I tried to take this guy on in melee. It doesn't work. Even with Fortitude 4 activated, this guy still hits like a dump truck for full aggravated damage.

If you try to go for hit-and-fade attacks, he could just as well decide to start chucking poo poo at you, which doesn't help matters.

After getting wailed on for a while, I snapped out of my stupidity and just laid down heavy fire with the SPAS, which worked far better.

And he ends up dead sooner rather than later.

Well, he's "fin"-ished. You probably didn't get that, did you?
Defy your nature, demon, man can suffer without your help. (Goodbye).
My pleasure.

And she leaves, and that's that. That was the last sidequest in the game we didn't already start. All we have left to do is bring Gary the last few items he wants and we'll be completely done with the side stuff.

Also, there's 200 bucks at the end of the room. Always welcome.

The next step is to have a talk with Wong Ho, since he's next on the hitlist for Ming-Xiao.

I talked to Zhao.
Ah, good! Did he have the information you needed?
Yeah, he told me... right before the Tong cashed his check.
Oh, I see. The Tong must have known that Zhao was the only one who could have told me about Kiki. It seems that his past finally came back to claim him. The past is something we always carry with us, and sometimes it is a heavy load.
What do you mean?
Nothing. It is not my place to say.
[Persuasion] Come on... we're friends, aren't we? You can confide in me.
It is something that very few people know. Many years ago, Zhao was the leader of the Tong here in Chinatown. He had a reputation as a very brutal gang leader, and he was very feared and respected. In time, Zhao came to understand that respect and fear were very different things, and one gained because of another was something devoid of honor. He left the Tong, vowing never to return to his former life.
I see. But how did he know about Kiki?
If a man lives for a long time in the forest, he makes friends with many wolves. Wolves know much about what happens in the forest.
I understand. Thanks for telling me. I have a few more questions.
Yes? How can I help you?
What can you tell me about a silver-haired man?
Silver-haired man? I don't know, uh... wait. There is something. I saw such a man a few nights ago... very distinctive. He was coming out of the Temple.
You mean the same secret Temple that no one else is allowed to go into?
Yes, the same one.
The plot thickens. Do you have any idea who he is?
No, I didn't recognize him. Why are you asking?
Because I found out he was bankrolling the Tong.
Really? Who was he?
He was running some sort of secret science lab... conducting experiments.
Experiments? What kind of experiments?
They were looking for weaknesses in... uh, well... certain individuals.
I see. Where is he now?
I killed him. And I have proof that he was working with Ming-Xiao.
What? How can that be? Ming-Xiao would never involve herself in something like this! I don't believe you.
Believe it, Wong Ho. You were next on their list.
Hmmm. I consider you a friend, and I trust your counsel. Perhaps I will think on this matter for a little while. Maybe I will speak with Ming-Xiao about it.
[Persuasion] Trust me, Wong Ho. You don't want to do that. Get out of town now.
I... believe you. Perhaps I will close the restaurant, get Kiki, and go away for a while. Thank you, my friend. I owe you another debt of gratitude. May the gods be with you, whatever path you decide to take.
I appreciate it, Wong Ho. Take care of yourself.

That netted us a Humanity gain, giving us a whopping 3 Humanity. Good thing this doesn't work like the tabletop. Actually, while we're at it, let's bring the recent Humanity talk from the thread in - this started when I falsely assumed that killing Ji Wen Ya dropped our Humanity (2 at the time) down to 1:

Vicissitude posted:

Siegkrow posted:

...wait, isn't your humanity at one?
Isn't that, y'know, dangerous?

At Humanity of 4, you're generally considered to be on a downward spiral in tabletop. That's where your perceptions of the people around you start to radically shift, and it starts to be picked up by the people you interact with. You also don't really see a need to fix your outlook anymore. You've lost that spark that makes you able to see others as you do yourself. The character can get help and start to regain that connection, but it's also easy for them to put aside the idea for their own personal desires.

Humanity 3 is where you can kill casually and feel no remorse. You need a reason to kill (aside from self defense or in combat), but almost any reason will cut it. The book also suggests that it takes a lot of mental effort (rolling/spending Willpower) to avoid just going off and indulging your urges whenever you feel them. The example is to spend WP to avoid going off to beat the poo poo out of someone you hate just because you hate them and drat the consequences.

Humanity 3 or lower is considered "unplayable", unless you're roleplaying a shift to a Path of Enlightenment. They're so far gone that the character would be more of a liability than an asset to their coterie.

More on Paths if interest has been piqued.

OAquinas posted:

sleepy.eyes posted:

Go for it man, I never got to play the system much but I always thought it could be fun.

I'm sure Vic will go into greater depths, but here's a "quick" rundown:

Every vampire has a Beast. Your concept of morality and "right" is all that enables you to act as an intelligent person above the base instincts that the Beast operates on. As with all things in the WoD, your morality level is on a 10-point scale.
At 10, the Beast has little sway over you unless you starve yourself.
At 0, you lose all control and you are incapable of thought beyond "Kill. Feed. Sleep." and not necessarily in that order. The character becomes a mindless NPC and is said to be lost to "Wassail."
By default every vampire starts with "Humanity" as their core morality. It's the general social contract that people are familiar with (hence the "humanity" moniker). Don't kill, don't steal, don't inflict injury, and at the very top "don't be selfish." A humanity 10 vampire puts Buddhist monks to shame, but at that level selfish thoughts can cause a loss--let alone actions.
As you go down the scale, the level of "Bad" that would cause you to lose additional humanity gets more and more egregious. From acting selfishly to hurting people with cause to hurting people without cause to killing them to killing casually to mass murder.
When you perform an action that would cause you to lose humanity, you can do a difficult roll with your conscience stat to see if you can avoid it. Success means you feel terrible about it. Failure means you've rationalized the action and lose humanity. A botch means you like the action and lose an additional point (and probably pick up a mental derangement). This system is obviously simplified in Bloodlines.

As mentioned, your humanity directly and indirectly affects a number of mechanics. To simulate being alive (heartbeat, flushed skin, etc) costs 8-humanity bloodpoints--so if you have a high humanity it's essentially free, and if you have a low level it's not worth the effort. Humanity also affects how well you can operate during the day. If you get knocked into torpor (lose all health levels but not to agg damage) humanity affects how long you sleep. 10 wakes up practically the next night. Humanity 1 sleeps the millennia away.

Now, humanity is all well and good, but it doesn't really coincide well with being a blood drinking monster. Humanity is just a code of morality, really, so what if you reject it in favor of a different morality?

You can...maybe. The process involves breaking down your sense of right and wrong and rebuilding them to fit a new code of ethics--trading your Humanity for a new Path of Enlightenment. It's only possible if you have a high willpower and when you hit humanity 3, and it actually gets easier as your morality goes lower. You don't have as many ethics left at that point, so starting from scratch isn't as much of a stretch. You can fail, especially if you don't have help from someone already on the Path you seek to follow. Failure at humanity 3 is recoverable. Failure at 1 is...bad.

Paths are not just "do whatever I want" morality. The Beast can be said to be the ultimate in self-indulgence and a total inability to avoid impulse action. The only way to stave it off is to create a system where you innately resist some actions or regard them as "Bad." There are a number of paths, but they all take a core concept and build their ethos around it--be it a stringent adherence to personal honor, enlightenment through exploring death, seeking truth through shattering others' sense of what is real, or exploring the mutability of the vampiric form.
Betraying the core conceit of each Path is akin to thoughtless murder for Humanity. They're alien mindsets adopted by monsters unable or unwilling to adhere to what shreds of mortal morality they remember. But if they manage to get onto a Path, they may have an easier time at putting more room between them and the Beast.

ulmont posted:

OAquinas posted:

Paths are not just "do whatever I want" morality.

In theory. In practice some are close to "do what I was going to do anyway."

Path of power and the inner voice, for instance, has sin ranging from "turning down an opportunity for power" (1) to "denying responsibility for your actions" (10) with "accepting defeat" in the middle (6).

Path of the beast similarly ranges from "refusing to kill to survive" (1) to "hunting with means other than your own vampiric powers" (10) with "failing to support your allies" in the middle (5).

Those....aren't that tough to stay on and certainly easier than humanity for PCs, in the main.

Tehan posted:

Yeah, VtM really assumed some level of buy-in from the players, so a lot of the things a player can sacrifice for power are things like 'the capacity to have friendships' that have no mechanical effects but are absolutely horrifying if you're living in your character's head even a little. But if you approach it as a rollplayer it's more like a free license to ditch one of the larger weaknesses of vampires.

But then again you probably shouldn't be playing horror games with rollplayers in the first place.

Vicissitude posted:

OAquinas posted:

Basic rundown

This basically hits a lot of the stuff I was going to do anyway, but might as well go deeper. Strap in, folks.

Humanity is hard to break away from. We are, after all, humans. It's as much a part of us as our eye color. Losing Humanity is a tremendous strain on the psyche. It represents a breaking apart of a character's core being. Vampires are not human, but they were born and raised as humans. Sometimes at a higher or lower point on the scale, but almost always on it somewhere near the middle. As a vampire's unlife goes on they reach certain breaking points. The first one is pretty much inevitable: someday, they're going to kill for their food. It's why that's listed as the breaking point for Humanity 6 (Accidental violation: drinking a vessel dry out of starvation). But existence will likely keep putting new situations in their way that calls for compromise.

The higher you are on the scale, the less the Beast has control over you. Maybe it's more accurate to say that you allow it less control. Your own conscience keeps it in check. As you begin to slide down, you give way to the Beast's influences. But for some people, especially those in the Sabbat or other minor sects/cults, Humanity is not conducive to survival. They do things that would make a normal, moral outlook collapse in horror. In order to save themselves from the Beast and still act in accordance with their beliefs, a new path has to be found. The Paths of Enlightenment are alternate moral codes. They can range from benevolent (Path of Redemption) and noble (Honorable Accord), to the bizarre (Paradox) and downright monstrous (Metamorphosis).

Each Path has its own variant of the hierarchy of sins. The way they're worded, it's almost impossible to maintain a 9 or 10 in the Path without complete dedication it. Even Humanity has that built in. As it's been said, 'selfish thoughts' is a pretty broad term and just part of our instincts. Of course, that just means having to rise above them. With a Path, it may be harder because the thought process is an alien one to how humans are raised. It's why a lot of them are pretty simplified for roleplaying despite being completely different from Humanity.

GrimRevenant posted:

As I recall we went into Paths a little bit earlier on in the thread, but now that we’ve met some of the more… interesting characters, it might be worth going over some more. Couple of examples:

Our buddy Andrei the Tzimisce, for example, is almost certainly on the Path of Metamorphosis, a philosophy which believes that the vampiric condition is the next evolution of humanity, and is dedicated to transcending it to find the next step. (Talking about Golconda and Path equivalents might be interesting, too?) Some of the tenets include frequent self-modification, always experimenting wherever possible, and at an advanced level, refusing to share you knowledge with or help others because it would hinder their own process of self-enlightnment. Metamorphosists tend to be… solitary, or at least surrounded people with no mouths. :silent:

“Pisha”, the Nagaraja corpse-eater, is probably on either the Path of Bones or of Death and the Soul, assuming I am remembering them rightly. Both are pretty appropriate for someone dedicated to their pursuit of Necromancy.

From a roleplaying perspective, there are enough characters who are on Paths to fairly easily rationalise a character with '0' Humanity having taken the first step onto a Path of Enlightnment, especially in light of various characters’ attempts to persuade you to their way of thinking, and some of the more interesting theories regarding our chessmaster friend. :tinfoil:

ulmont posted:

Thesaya posted:

I, at least would love to know more. Preferably tied to characters in bloodlines paths if applicable. Otherwise, maybe some details about the most likely paths for vampires of different clans, sabbat/camarilla/anarchs and how well being on a path would be possible when being a part of those groups.

Originally, all vampires used Humanity. When the Sabbat was introduced, to answer the question "how do they all not reach Humanity 0," Paths were introduced and every Sabbat character was put on a Path. Then, with Dark Ages, Paths and Humanity were combined into "Roads." Finally, most Sabbat were moved back into low-grade Humanity and some Paths (the more offbeat ones for antagonist clans) were put in the base book.

Taking the 20th anniversary edition of Vampire the Masquerade as the main source:

Most Camarilla Kindred still use Humanity (aka "Path of Humanity"). The Sabbat paths aren't listed here, but conmmonly include the Path of the Beast (controls the Beast by accepting its urges as natural and accepting their role as a hunter among hunters), Path of Power and the Inner Voice (controls the Beast through rigorous determination and the amassing of worldly power), and the Path of Honorable Accord (harnesses the Beast through the rigorous practice of honorable and chivalrous behavior).
A bunch of Clans have their own special paths:

quote:

Path of Blood - Followed almost exclusively by Assamites, the Path of Blood governs revenge, diablerie and bringing oneself closer to the First Vampire. [Sins range from Acting against another Assamite to Killing a mortal for sustenance.]
Path of the Bones - This code governs the study of death and its relation to the vampiric state. The Giovanni are its most ardent supporters. [Sins range from Actively preventing a death to Showing a fear of death.]
Path of Metamorphosis -This uniquely Tzimisce Path operates on the principle that, as vampirism lies beyond humanity, something lies beyond vampirism. [Sins range from Exhibiting compassion for others to Postponing feeding when hungry.]
Path of Night - The Path of Night opens the vampire’s soul to eternal darkness. It is predominantly practiced by Lasombra. [Sins range from Repenting one's behavior to Killing a mortal for food.]
Path of Paradox - The Ravnos code of ethics, the Path of Paradox centers upon changing reality for the betterment of oneself. [Sins range from Embracing needlessly or out of personal desire to Embracing a woman, with the notable Failing to destroy another vampire at 6.]
Path of Typhon - Corruption and sin pave this Path’s way. It is supported by the Followers of Set. [Sins range from Refusing to aid in Set's resurrection to Pursuing one's own indulgences instead of another's.]

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Path_of_Enlightenment

OAquinas posted:

Thesaya posted:

I, at least would love to know more. Preferably tied to characters in bloodlines paths if applicable. Otherwise, maybe some details about the most likely paths for vampires of different clans, sabbat/camarilla/anarchs and how well being on a path would be possible when being a part of those groups.

The vast majority of all vampires--camarilla, sabbat, or independent--are on Humanity. Or if they're Freakin Old, Via Humanitas (the Dark Ages equivalent). It's the default setting, and it really can't be emphasized enough how hard it is to break out of that mindset and accept an entirely new moral code. You need a very strong will (IIRC, 7+) to even attempt it. So even if you do heinous acts as a nightly occurrence and might like to see things from a different perspective, it's not a given that you can make the jump.

Camarilla is all about blending into humanity. Ergo, Paths are not encouraged since they seriously impair your ability to relate to mortal humans. That said, there are a number of Elders who are on Paths just because they are that old and removed from Humanity.

Sabbat, obviously, does not encourage humanity. They DO encourage keeping the Beast at bay, however, so it's a bit of a mushy area. Generally you'll find the range caps out at 5 or 6 for an upper limit; not much room for selfless pacifists in the Sword of Caine. Paths are definitely encouraged and frequent, if not what you'd call 'common.' Finding help transitioning can be difficult depending on the Path and practitioner.

Independent clans generally each have their own Path tailored to their gimmick. Generally the adherence levels are roughly the same as the Sabbat, though generally you'd have an easier time getting assistance in making the transition.

Rockopolis posted:

How does one boost one's Humanity or Path?

Roleplay. Officially it's 2x the rating in experience cost. But Morality is decidedly a subjective and core bit of the Vampire game, so a good ST will generally require you to have your character do "good" deeds (good being relative to their morality code) and make a conscious effort at doing better. It's hard to climb the ladder, but easy to fall down.

citybeatnik posted:

Rockopolis posted:

What atrocity do you commit for the path of redemption or one of the other less gribbly paths?

Neglecting your duty as one of God's appointed - it's basically a bizarro version of the Path of Night. It's even a Sabbat one! All be it created by embraced Jesuits. Frenzying and doing atrocious things during said time is a good thing, as it lets you understand sin better.

Then there's the Path of Cathari, that takes the Cathar heresy and goes "you know what? They're right, the physical world is a place of sin... and we're all about the physical... hrm..."

Once again, that was a lot of stuff, but we're not done just yet.

First of all, let's clean up the poster quest.

Actually, first of all, let's get some more money. By god, we'll loving need it.

Here's an interesting option - I have no idea when this was added, but I guess it was with the most recent unofficial patch - we get an option to remove that annoying turnstile. If we pick that, leave and come back...

...it's gone! Yay! Moving on...

Next up, we drop off the squashed Odious Chalice in our mailbox while the guard standing basically right next to us just doesn't notice, leave and head back upstairs to get our next email from Gary.

Two new emails, one from Gary, one from our friend.

quote:

<Subject> World of Darkness Gold fast!
<From> gary@schrecknet.vtm

Been busy, boss? Because I heard another famous movie prop has gone missing. The throwing star of the Whirlwind from "A Touch of Xen". I'll swap it for the poster of a sweet girl, whom you certainly won't look in the eyes!

So that means she's got big tits? Or does it mean she has an ugly face? Regardless, we have the throwing star already, so this should be done quick.

quote:

<Subject> The queen
<From> a friend

Beware the black queen.

Hm, this is interesting. We haven't really established the sides yet - who is "white", and who is "black"? The only one that references the colors is "The first move", which states "The white king moves to protect his pawn." Who is the white king? I'm sure there's plenty of answers to that, but I'd like to discuss this in more depth after the game has been finished and we have all the information we can get, because these messages and their sender are one of the more fascinating topics about this game, because it's somewhat open to debate.

Here's the poster we got for the last item. Nothing special.

We drop off the throwing star in our mailbox and leave the building again.

As we leave, the quest log informs us that we have now gotten all the posters! So that's another quest off the checklist.

And as we head back up, we can see the po- ...what the gently caress?

:stonk: JESUS CHRIST, GARY. JESUS CHRIST, WESP. Where the gently caress did you dig this up? Was this seriously something that was just buried in the game files and WESP threw it in just for the hell of it? I don't know if it's just me, but this picture just skirts the line between reality and fantasy to the point where it really freaks me the gently caress out. It's not some Tzimisce abomination, it's just one change. Ugh, best get away fast. Quick, to Hollywood!

Well, actually, I go and stock up on some ammo at Larry's first. Note the amount of money - this is before I started shopping.

So, now our next stop is Isaac's place, because we actually never finished the quest regarding our research on what's going on in the house at King's Way. We were still supposed to report back to him. I only noticed it because I checked the quest log, myself.

King's Way - there was a Tzimisce. Notice I've used past tense.
Heh, heh... exceptional. Come by in a little while, I should have something for you then.
I'll stop by later to pick it up. Thanks, Isaac.

Of course, in this game, "later" means "after you've changed maps", so we just leave and come back.

About that gift - can I have it now?
Here... and thanks again for your help earlier. And remember what I told you about LaCroix. You're good, kid; he doesn't deserve you.
I'll decide that when the time comes. Goodbye, Isaac.

:colbert: If LaCroix doesn't deserve Melissa, then you deserve her less, you AINO gently caress.

At least the item is useful - this gives us another Persuasion boost.

This leaves us with only 3 experience points needed for 10 Persuasion. Sadly, we can't get them before we go to the Giovanni mansion since, you know, we ran out of side quests. Thankfully, we only need 9 Persuasion for what we want to do, so we got lucky there. Anyway, we have only one spot left to visit...

...Mercurio's place. I'm getting me a sniper rifle, I'm getting me a sniper rifle...

It's all I've ever dreamed about. Gimme.

:swoon: GIMME!

:swoon: :swoon: GIMME!

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: GIMME! AND AMMO FOR EVERYTHING!

...totally worth it. I'm so going to have fun with these on the next few missions.

Now, we have some topics we can talk with Mercurio about that I think are new. I might be posting some duplicates, though.

I need some info.
Concerning?
People.
Who exactly?
Gary.
Gary? Sorry, name doesn't ring a bell.
The Kuei-jin.
Ah, you're talkin' about the Kuei-jin. Like you types, but different. Anarchs'd just about finished fighting 'em when the Camarilla came to town. Let me give you some advice - stay out of Chinatown till they've raised our flag in those parts.

Thanks for the tip, but that's coming a bit late.

Places.
Specifically?
Hollywood.
Hollywood's been good to me. Lot of my business comes from Hollywood. Guy named Isaac runs the show. Real legend. Camarilla's got no presence to speak of there. Stop by the graveyard. Good customer o' mine works it.
Chinatown.
I don't go down to Chinatown. Nobody who does comes back. Somethin' goin' down on there with the Kuei-jin I don't understand, nor do I need to. Stay out's the best advice I can give.

Once again, a bit late, but I guess I could have asked earlier. Also, not sure how "we are at war" is hard to understand, which again makes me question the concept of this "war" that's supposedly going on and just how much "war" it involves right now.

Anyway, that's it for preparation. Next time, we're off to the Giovanni mansion and the endgame officially begins!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

TheMcD posted:

AND THEN HE MORPHS INTO A BIG loving SHARK THING

Rokea. A were-shark.

No idea what the hell he was doing in Chinatown though. The do not like leaving the water and when they do they generally stay within sprinting distance of shore. Granted, sprinting distance for a shifter is usually several miles, but still.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Stroth posted:

Rokea. A were-shark.

No idea what the hell he was doing in Chinatown though. The do not like leaving the water and when they do they generally stay within sprinting distance of shore. Granted, sprinting distance for a shifter is usually several miles, but still.

He was hired to kill Melissa. I presume the money was good, which warrants some fish-out-of-water action.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

He was hired to kill Melissa. I presume the money was good, which warrants some fish-out-of-water action.

Given that the only thing the Rokea have to do to fulfill their species' goal is survive, he hosed up here. What was he going to do with the money, anyway?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

apostateCourier posted:

Given that the only thing the Rokea have to do to fulfill their species' goal is survive, he hosed up here. What was he going to do with the money, anyway?

I have absolutely no idea. All I'm going by is the single line that says that Melissa was his "target" - presumably to kill her, given that's what everybody else has been trying to do. What else would he have to target her for? Even if you convince him you just want to talk, he still calls you his target, so I presume it's not something that happened just because you told the guy you wanted to kill him.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

apostateCourier posted:

What was he going to do with the money, anyway?

That's the big question right there. These guys have basically zero non eating interactions with land dwellers.They don't even have human born children like the other changing breeds.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
How'd the demon hunter know you were... a demon?

I firmly believe that panty shot was intentional on your part McD. This is the anime quest after all.

Option 2. :pusheen: God I should grow up.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Stroth posted:

That's the big question right there. These guys have basically zero non eating interactions with land dwellers.They don't even have human born children like the other changing breeds.

I'd imagine that the Beast Court equivalent of a rokea would be slightly different, in a way that appears to be more mysterious and powerful than their western counterparts, because this is the WoD.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DeusExMachinima posted:

If you know what you're doing it's not that hard to spot a vampire who sin't activly trying to blend in. Far example: The lack of breathing tends to give it away.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

I mentioned the general types of Hunters wayyyy back and it's linked in the first post.

As a refresher, 'common' Hunters come in four general flavors. I'm going to order them in rough power level.

1. The kung fu Shih types, who generally only show up in Asia. These guys are enforcers of contracts and deals between the supernatural and the mundane (and punch people who don't hew to those deals), and have complete bullshit martial arts. They can punch werewolves to death, and have a lot of wacky bullshit techniques to sense the supernatural. Yukie is probably one of them.
2. The high-tech Technocratically bankrolled types, who put their faith in heavy firearms and cybernetic enhancements. They're kind of like X-Com if X-Com fought werewolves instead of Mutons, with a casualty ratio to match, but are pretty good at finding replacements for their massive casualties. These can easily be confused with:
2a. Technocratic kill teams, which are actually goddamn wizards and will gently caress your poo poo up. One of the Chaos Factor books (involving Sam Haight) involves a vampires-versus-werewolves-versus-Technocracy fight, and the Technocracy absolutely fucks up both sides, this being explicitly one of the least motivated, most corrupt, and poorly resourced Technocracy bases in the West.
3. The Imbued, who are powered by what may or may not be ground-up Solar Exaltations from Exalted to be heavily resistant to supernatural powers. The problem is that it only makes them resistant to the supernatural and capable of bypassing some supernatural defenses (generally doing aggravated damage and resisting incoming spells/direct supernatural damage). You can see how this may be a problem when it provides explicitly no protection from a wandering wizard who knows how to use a Glock capping you with supernatural accuracy or a vampire doing the same, or a werewolf... being ridiculously strong and fast and having knives for hands.
4. The religious types, who are powered by their Faith in God (or some equivalent) and use mundane gear. True Faith is a nice edge but isn't quite the same as being a cyborg agent or being able to punch someone so hard their organs explode.

Yukie is probably one of the Shih, which means she has techniques for spotting the supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Did Wesp remove the big reward for the Hengeyokai quest? The magic katana that will carry you through the endgame if you have any melee skill to speak of?

• Locked thread