Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Madmarker posted:

I can accept it in other limited formats. Its only when they jack up the price that it disturbs me. I'd probably be cool with it at the $7 price tag, but for some reason the $10 tag just feels excessive.

Well packs were defacto $10 from release on up anyway, so meh. I just hope we don't see them selling for %150-250 of MSRP again or else we're looking at $50 drafts. gently caress that!

I think the per-pack value will definitely be higher than MM1 by some amount. Don't forget every pack gets a foil too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

VMA is a really cool set, but it's hampered by a set of really poor design decisions that all involve the same 2 colors. Battle Screech at common, Goblin Trenches at uncommon, and Rift/Slide being given solid support created a de facto "best archetype", especially since those colors' landcyclers were a respectable backup plan in themselves.

Aside from R/W being ridiculously bomby, the format itself was very good, but I still would have liked to see Shoreline Ranger and Twisted Abomination, since Naya's landcyclers played a huge role in making the good decks consistent. They said "no cards reprinted after 8th edition", but surely you could have made an exception for a timeshifted card to complete an important cycle, right? :saddowns:

VMA is a fun set that had no real business being priced like Modern Masters. Special Rarity basically ensured you'd never really see the Power Nine in draft or in a pull, there were 105 rares in the set making Force of Will or the 3 duals worth more than $5 highly unlikely pulls and of the 30 Mythics (!), only JTMS is worth more than the pack he came in.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zoness posted:

There's also the thing where most of those cards are good in limited or support one or more of the draft archetypes. Jhoira and Pyromancer's Swath are somewhat suspect but they can help a storm deck a little. Same for doubling season and thallids.

Pyromancer's Swath was played in Grapeshot decks in Modern.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

Pyromancer's Swath was played in Grapeshot decks in Modern.

I'm aware of this, it was also played in standard with grapeshot, my point was that the limited value of Swath, Jhoira, and Doubling Season are fairly low in the rare slot but they still enable certain strategies in the limited format.

I'm not particularly interested in the constructed supply/demand part of MM products even if that's a huge part of why they're made, but my point was that almost every rare in MMA played out pretty well, if sometimes too well, in limited. The most notable exception to this may be Tarmogoyf.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
These perks are ... not good

General Registration - $75
Entry into Grand Prix Las Vegas – build a sealed deck with 6 packs of Modern Masters 2015!
Exclusive Grand Prix UltraPro Playmat featuring art from Modern Masters 2015!
Grand Prix Foil Promo Griselbrand
Set of ChannelFireball Tokens
ChannelFireball lifepad and pen
Exclusive Grand Prix Las Vegas 2015 Token signed by Luis Scott-Vargas!

Premium Registration - $100
Same as General Registration, plus:
Sleep-In Special (if you have byes)
Sealed Pool Pre-Registration

Planeswalker Registration - $150
Same as Premium Registration, plus:
Access to the Planeswalker Lounges
Exclusive Grand Prix Las Vegas Deck Box featuring art from Modern Masters 2015!
Exclusive Grand Prix Las Vegas Sleeves featuring art from Modern Masters 2015!
ChannelFireball Stainless Steel Water Bottle
ChannelFireball Drawstring Bag

Platinum Planeswalker Package - $250 – Space is limited!
Our most luxurious registration package ever! Get your spot before we run out!
Access to the Platinum Planeswalker Lounge
Exclusive Meet & Greet on Thursday evening with artists and members of Team CFB!
A ChannelFireball Playmat signed by members of Team CFB!
A second Grand Prix Las Vegas Deck Box
A second set of Grand Prix Las Vegas Sleeves

+$25 for preregistration

+$75 for lounge access and some cheap crap

+$175 for a lame barn session and an even more exclusive lounge and extra crap

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The extra crap you get for VIP registration at GPs is never worth it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

These perks are ... not good

General Registration - $75
Entry into Grand Prix Las Vegas – build a sealed deck with 6 packs of Modern Masters 2015!
Exclusive Grand Prix UltraPro Playmat featuring art from Modern Masters 2015!
Grand Prix Foil Promo Griselbrand
Set of ChannelFireball Tokens
ChannelFireball lifepad and pen
Exclusive Grand Prix Las Vegas 2015 Token signed by Luis Scott-Vargas!

Eh. Given that a sealed pool for MM15 is going to be $60 MSRP, your paying $15 for a playmat that will be worth $40-80 and a promo worth $15.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Eh. Given that a sealed pool for MM15 is going to be $60 MSRP, your paying $15 for a playmat that will be worth $40-80 and a promo worth $15.

The last GPLV playmat is worth a ridiculous amount ($190 at GPNJ iirc) from dealers now, although obviously selling it is tougher on value.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Madmarker posted:

Quick question,

If someone play's a Tempting Wurm and an opponent puts an Opalescence, an Enchanted Evening, a Mycosynth Lattice, a March of the Machines and a Humility into play, what happens? Does anybody have lands once this is done or no?

They all enter the battlefield at the same time, so the active player chooses the timestamps. The timestamps really matter only for Humility, because there are a bunch of dependencies.

For the type-changing effects, you must use the order Enchanted Evening, Opalescence, Mycosynth Lattice, then March of the Machines. Depending on what timestamp you choose for Humility and therefore where it is applied in the previous order, lands are either 0/0 or 1/1, and Opalescence is either 4/4 or 1/1.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Applebees posted:

They all enter the battlefield at the same time, so the active player chooses the timestamps. The timestamps really matter only for Humility, because there are a bunch of dependencies.

For the type-changing effects, you must use the order Enchanted Evening, Opalescence, Mycosynth Lattice, then March of the Machines. Depending on what timestamp you choose for Humility and therefore where it is applied in the previous order, lands are either 0/0 or 1/1, and Opalescence is either 4/4 or 1/1.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

The last GPLV playmat is worth a ridiculous amount ($190 at GPNJ iirc) from dealers now, although obviously selling it is tougher on value.

You aren't refering to the judge mat are you? I mean,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-the-G...=item418b8775a8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mtg-grand-prix-las-vegas-playmat-sword-of-fire-and-ice-/131354485582?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item1e9556634e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Deals-M...=item2594ffc0e8
There often $80 but you can find them much cheaper if you are in the market.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Which one is the city of brass one? Was that judge only? That's the one I saw at a dealer stall at $190.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm seriously considering the Planeswalker level since if I go it will be part of my 40th Birthday celebration. Why not go in style?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Zoness posted:

Which one is the city of brass one? Was that judge only? That's the one I saw at a dealer stall at $190.

yeah, City of Brass was Judge only. Regular mat was Sword of Fire and Ice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

jassi007 posted:

Yeah normal entry is pretty good I agree. I skipped last trip but I think we're gonna get a big crew to go for like 4 nights it's gonna be a blast.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

The extra crap you get for VIP registration at GPs is never worth it.

Lies. GP Orlando you got a full set of the pins which sold on ebay for $125, but sealed pool pre-registration was worth every penny besides to not have to go through that nonsense or have to deal with people dropping to keep what they opened before swapping (who knows if SCG staff were instructed to keep valuable stuff, but I KNOW a random player sitting across from me won't be passing a foil Goyf, so odds are slightly better I'll get some value passed to me).

I'll also say the water bottle is an underestimated perk. A can of soda from the vending machines at the venue are $3. A 20 oz bottle from the carts was $5. There were no water fountains that I found. It was nice to have a bottle I could refill in the lounge's water cooler rather than having to weigh down my bag with drinks.

They also gave us a Fat Pack Box for VIP, which was unexpectedly nice. Was able to keep all of my sleeves, deck, sideboard, dice, tokens, etc in there and set up faster when I get to my new seat.

That said, CFB isn't doing it right. I'd pay for the upgrade to get the sealed pool registration service, but nothing beyond that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm seriously considering the Planeswalker level since if I go it will be part of my 40th Birthday celebration. Why not go in style?

Because you could always just have $100 extra to do whatever with in Vegas :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^^^

I should say that I've never played in a Sealed GP and I can see how the pool registration service would be worth it.

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Dude it is in Vegas, spend the extra money balling out your hotel pool, not the magic card VIP room.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Lies. GP Orlando you got a full set of the pins which sold on ebay for $125, but sealed pool pre-registration was worth every penny besides to not have to go through that nonsense or have to deal with people dropping to keep what they opened before swapping (who knows if SCG staff were instructed to keep valuable stuff, but I KNOW a random player sitting across from me won't be passing a foil Goyf, so odds are slightly better I'll get some value passed to me).
What do you REALLY think?

I think that unless the event has promotional items that might sell for a bit, it's not really worth it. These things are hosted in convention centers which have water fountains everywhere, so carrying a water bottle around isn't that big of a deal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Time Vault, Voltaic Key and Tezzeret in the Holiday Cube? I'm gonna go for it. :getin:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

who knows if SCG staff were instructed to keep valuable stuff

Don't the Judges register those pools?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Angry Grimace posted:

Time Vault, Voltaic Key and Tezzeret in the Holiday Cube? I'm gonna go for it. :getin:

has their been a holiday cube announcement? I can't find any

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

has their been a holiday cube announcement? I can't find any

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/2014-holiday-cube-card-list-2014-12-08

Starts in a week. Legacy cube leaves this Wednesday, Holiday Cube next week.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Don't the Judges register those pools?

That's why I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I was pretty sure I saw someone in the back area registering pools as a judge the next day.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
They took out Nightscape Familiar. What the gently caress, Wizards.

edit: I guess they added Goblin Electromancer, but that's a hella strain on mana.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Sometimes in Vintage Masters you cast 2 Minds Desires, get down to 7 cards in your deck, and don't hit either of your 2 Tendrils of Agony.

gently caress you storm

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

Sometimes in Vintage Masters you cast 2 Minds Desires, get down to 7 cards in your deck, and don't hit either of your 2 Tendrils of Agony.

gently caress you storm

That's what you get for playing an incredibly inconsistent archtype in a format that gives you so few finishers for said inconsistent archetype. :colbert:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Living the dream feels so good though

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

That's what you get for playing an incredibly inconsistent archtype in a format that gives you so few finishers for said inconsistent archetype. :colbert:

When you open a Mind's Desire and get passed a Mind's Desire, you loving make it rain son

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

I Love You! posted:

When you open a Mind's Desire and get passed a Mind's Desire, you loving make it rain son

Over the summer I had an opponent go off with the most nuts coming together of storm in VMA I'd seen to date, with his Mind's Desire at storm count = 12 hitting both a lethal Tendrils and a lethal Brain Freeze. Because just one wasn't enough.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

da keebsta knicca posted:

Dude it is in Vegas, spend the extra money balling out your hotel pool, not the magic card VIP room.
Absolutely. You're paying free drinks at all hours everywhere and days of video blackjack or a decent night of table games for a deck box. I just assume people that play magic are the same people that gamble because they already play cardgames for money.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Quick question,

If someone play's a Tempting Wurm and an opponent puts an Opalescence, an Enchanted Evening, a Mycosynth Lattice, a March of the Machines and a Humility into play, what happens? Does anybody have lands once this is done or no?

edit-Other, of course, than making every Judge in a 50 mile radius have a seizure.

quote:

613.6g If two or more objects would receive a timestamp simultaneously, such as by entering a zone simultaneously or becoming attached simultaneously, the active player determines their timestamp order at that time.

Active player (presumably whoever played the Tempting Wurm unless there are other shenanigans going on) decides timestamps; if Humility comes into play last then the lands are fine. If not then they'll blow up.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

I Love You! posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever seen Magister of Worth beaten without any support whatsoever and I've run into it on 3 separate occasions.

Of all the cards in that set (not counting the misprinted commons like screech) that's the one I most wish just wasn't in the set. Creatures simply didn't do that sort of poo poo in Vintage and it feels so shoehorned and divergent from classic magic principles that it really takes me out of the game (in addition to being nigh unbeatable and totally undoing what could have been a really good game up until that point).

There's no way you can intelligently play around Magister of Worth in VMA if you aren't like, blue control or combo. It's duneblast for 1 cheaper mana, 1 less color requirement, and puts the creature into play all on its own. That is not very fun.

I'll always remember the draft where my opp had Recurring Nightmare + maggie worth. I mean, come on. I even had a decent deck for once.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wasn't there a guy big on misprinted cards that posts in this thread? I managed to get a Beta Sengir Vampire that's crimped at the top of the card.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I think crimped cards are considered unremarkable for the most part, it's not really a miscut/misprint because it occurs during packing. Someone would need to confirm that for me though.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I think crimped cards are considered unremarkable for the most part, it's not really a miscut/misprint because it occurs during packing. Someone would need to confirm that for me though.

nope some collectors go wild for crimps, there are facebook groups that cater to this type of thing even

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I don't get the demand for crimps. Miscuts can be cool, as can misprints, but crimps don't do anything for me.

What a Judas is, I believe, our misprint expert.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
For those who didn't attend GP: Vegas last year - I had a BLAST, but almost all of that was non-magic related. I ended up doing terribly (only one match win all weekend, across all games), but it was Vegas.

Played a little Magic, tried not to deal with the lines, and just turned it into a 5-day vacation (which is almost too long in Vegas).

Go with no expectations about becoming a wizard poker shark, have some fun, and check out Insert Coins on Fremont Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I haven't played magic in 16? years. My much-younger cousin regularly plays. I'd love to surprise him by sitting down at the table and fishing a deck out of my pocket next time they're playing.

I've dug out my old shoebox of cards. Will I be able to have a fun game with the decades-old cards, or has there been some massive power-inflation over the years where I'll just be laughed off the table?

I believe my cards range from original edition through the snow-covered-lands edition.

Of course, I'll update myself on the current set of rules.

• Locked thread