Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I'm sorry if you feel really cornered by all this. It would be legit to say there isn't one, in which case I'd be interested to know what's a good starter map game.

You know, share how you got into the genre and all that. No need to be so alienating, we're all gamers here.

Please leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's why I do not want your posts in this thread: They are bad & I don't want to read them.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Here's why I do not want your posts in this thread: They are bad & I don't want to read them.

Life is rough.

You could have given one opinion about your Favorite Map Game and wouldn't have had to read a single followup post. That'd be p sweet huh?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You two should find a room and hook up , doing this in public is gross.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The game you learn map games on depends on your temperament, and style of learning. Just pick one and try to play it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

Life is rough.

You could have given one opinion about your Favorite Map Game and wouldn't have had to read a single followup post. That'd be p sweet huh?

I would bet my bottom dollar that you won't even bother learning a map game.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I would bet my bottom dollar that you won't even bother learning a map game.

I will buy* and steamstream a map game of your choice this next weekend if that will diminish your hostility towards my interest.

*got like :20bux: for discretionary spending this weekend

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I will buy* and steamstream a map game of your choice this next weekend if that will diminish your hostility towards my interest.

Wait for a sale.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every day I pray that the mods fire The Protagonist out of a cannon into the sun.

But anyway yeah CK2 or EU4 are the best. Technically you aren't supposed to play those games with the same strategy but everyone does so whatever.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Every day I pray that the mods fire The Protagonist out of a cannon into the sun.

But anyway yeah CK2 or EU4 are the best. Technically you aren't supposed to play those games with the same strategy but everyone does so whatever.

they're both about painting the map, it's just that CK2 has more ways to do taht

or you could be a little bitch human being and lose wars on purpose because "look, my king is cynical, that means he would surrender to the muslims"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those people are insanely gay.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Protagonist posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I want to make it to the revolutionary war era in my byz game but i'm rapidly losing interest

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like paradox games are really hard to play to the end of whatever the campaign is. they are all pretty fun but if the AI fails to do anything besides fall over you get bored pretty fast.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Larry Parrish posted:

i feel like paradox games are really hard to play to the end of whatever the campaign is. they are all pretty fun but if the AI fails to do anything besides fall over you get bored pretty fast.

yea playing to the end is normally pointless

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The only one I've ever finished is Vicky 2. Well, and March of the Eagles, if that counts.

Are there any cool mods for march of the eagles or anything? I had some fun with it but didn't really feel like I got all of my money's worth like w/ the 'big 4' titles.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woah... i've just seen galacia-volhinya for the first time... that's a sweet tag color.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I just want to see revolutionary mechanics

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

maybe i should start a game during the 7 years war or something. that should get me there. is there a bookmark for that?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just look up when it started irl and set the games date to that

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Agean90 posted:

just look up when it started irl and set the games date to that

the setup is probably fucktarded. i know colonial nations specifically will completely gently caress up if you mess with the non-bookmark start dates too much. at least they did for me once

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I have spent 600k+ peasant lives putting good friend poland under the byzantine throne. now i have the asperation for liberty event with the revolutionary vassals. if i let them turn me into a revolutionary republic what will happen to good friend polan

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

This all sounds cool to me.

Way of Life features:

New diplomatic interactions – Dispatch foes by challenging them to duels, choose who to seduce, break up with lovers, spy on people, free prisonors from captivity, and more are now available to players.

Set a Focus - Give your rulers a “way of life” by assigning them a Focus that will give an immediate boost to their skills and help shape the course of their development through events and decisions – new and old. There are ten different Focuses available to your characters:

• Rulership – Be a better king!
• Business – Gold is good
• Hunting – Kill the beast!
• War – What’s yours is mine
• Family – the most important thing, right?
• Carousing - ahem
• Seduction – double ahem
• Intrigue – sneaky, sneak
• Scholarship – We love to learn
• Theology – Do it for the big guy upstair

New events – Hundreds of new events have been added into Way of Life, alongside 20 new event images, which tie in directly to a character’s Focus. Specific events can be triggered only if a character is assigned a corresponding Focus.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1.9 is pretty cool too, except that it disappeared my Netherlands game that was going so well. I have colonies in Latin America, Africa, India, and Indonesia, along with being 50% or more trade power in English Channel and Lubeck. Please, Paradox, that was a real fun save.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

1.9 is pretty cool too, except that it disappeared my Netherlands game that was going so well. I have colonies in Latin America, Africa, India, and Indonesia, along with being 50% or more trade power in English Channel and Lubeck. Please, Paradox, that was a real fun save.

Oh is it out? Crap. Time to Map Game...

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I need to think of a cool + fun game. netherlands maybe? dunno

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Netherlands is fun but only if you remember that colonization early game is insanely boring so you should just beat the poo poo out of the HRE until you hold all or at least almost all of the Flemish and Dutch lands. Or just 'colonize' OG dutch style, by subjugating native countries.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Way of life sounds cool but what is the difference between seducing and carousing?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Way of Life features:

New diplomatic interactions – Dispatch foes by challenging them to duels, choose who to seduce, break up with lovers, spy on people, free prisonors from captivity, and more are now available to players.

Set a Focus - Give your rulers a “way of life” by assigning them a Focus that will give an immediate boost to their skills and help shape the course of their development through events and decisions – new and old. There are ten different Focuses available to your characters:

• Carousing - ahem

New events – Hundreds of new events have been added into Way of Life, alongside 20 new event images, which tie in directly to a character’s Focus. Specific events can be triggered only if a character is assigned a corresponding Focus.

Sounds mean.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Way of life sounds cool but what is the difference between seducing and carousing?

Carousing is like partying and slutting around.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

have you tried using the 'include incompatible saves' checkbox? or w/e it's called

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

have you tried using the 'include incompatible saves' checkbox? or w/e it's called

i only spent like 2 seconds looking at my save files in confusion so no. i'll fiddle later.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Choosing it every time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ah cool. Hopefully they let you actually pick traits by those events instead of waiting for random events to get stuff like lustful/chaste or scholar/duelist.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's patch 1.9 and Wiz the Dark has still not removed lucky nations from ironman,

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

looking forward to duels. looks like Way of life will own.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

It's patch 1.9 and Wiz the Dark has still not removed lucky nations from ironman,

I play paradox games so things end up vaguely historically accurate :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

Way of Life features:

• Carousing - ahem

Sounds like some win.