Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Time and math move strangely when you've been playing sunshine for six straight hours.

Kinda fun to play the secret hidden levels that are basically a trial run for Galaxy, though.

Sunshine was rushed to market,right? Because the controls and physics feel off, and not in a good way. I thought for a second it might be because I'm using the classic controller, but I'm pretty sure I remember the slippery feel to the controls as well.

Also, with the removal of the long jump and the backflip (The backflip is possible to do, but has a weird delay), Sunshine relies heavily upon the side somersault move. Which would be fine, except its finicky as poo poo.

I'd be curious to know if the tweaking of the physics was a conscious choice or something that came about because of a rushed and imprecise time in design. Like I don't really love the 3d Land and World changes, but I totally understand why they removed and altered so many moves. This just feels worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Beat every Shadow Mario stage so you can beat the final boss, then talk to the cool pianta dude with shades. I'm pretty sure your mood will improve considerably

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CatsPajamas posted:

Trying to do some of the harder challenges in Smash, I sympathize with everyone being frustrated with Nintendo games. The same goes for three-starring every track in Mario Kart 8. And A-ranking the hard Adventure Mode maps in Hyrule Warriors. And Champion's Road / Mystery House Marathon in Super Mario 3D World.

And I haven't even played Tropical Freeze or Captain Toad yet.

Were Nintendo games always this hard?

I guess you've never heard of the term "Nintendo Hard".
At their hardest, today's games don't come close to the bullshit difficulty of the NES / SNES days.

Let's see how many people I can trigger with this gif:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Any ETA on when retailers are gonna get the Gamecube to Wii U controller converters back in? gently caress those scalping assholes selling them for $100+.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

The later levels of Duck Hunt were hair rending lemme tell ya.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

At their hardest, today's games don't come close to the bullshit difficulty of the NES / SNES days.

Modern games are hard and well-designed, though

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

raditts posted:

I'm sorry, but that picture isn't this picture, the correct picture.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The angriest a Wii U game made me was when me and a friend were playing through Champion's Road, and after hundreds and hundreds of lives FINALLY got to the end with the pipes that spell out "Thank You", then we ran out of time because the pipes take forever to spell it out.

We turned off the Wii U.

Still a great feeling when I beat it though, and I still got my own copy of the game when I picked up my Wii U to play through the whole thing again. I feel like 3D World barely registered on people's radars, probably because when it came out Nintendo had sold 12 Wii Us.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, like two hundred new posts in the WiiU thread, I wonder if there's new Zelda footage or wha:stare:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can't wait to get to 3d World - my whole "play all the mainstream mario games before the year is out" was kickstarted by me wanting to play 3d World and Land.

I tried to largely go in order of release, but a friend let me borrow his copy of Mario 3d Land and I really dug it. I do miss some of Galaxy's splendor and physics, but 3d Land was still a hell of a wonderfully crafted adventure.

I could bitch about Sunshine some more, but I'm about halfway with getting all the "main" sprites and need a break. I will share a text conversation I had with a friend about it, though.

Friend: Sunshine was fun, but I think we were all starved for more Mario.
Me: I don't get it. The camera is somehow worse than Mario 64s by a fair margin, the difficulty is all over the place even in a single level (including piss easy shadow mario chase levels that are supposed to be climactic), I've ran into a fair amount of glitches, the verticality of the level design is rage inducing... how do people still like this game?
Friend: Everything is liked by someone. Liking Sunshine is the transgressive choice. People who like Mario Sunshine are in the same category as people who say they like Crystal Skull.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I'm terrible at NSMBU. There, I said it. I actually freak out like a giant baby. I'm old. I have a wife and daughter. They look at me askance.

I get to that Ice one, and it's a miracle if I can actually clear the first level. Rotating stars make me shudder.

The thought of the Luigi levels makes me a gibbering wreck.

I beat Demons Souls and Dark Souls and all that other gubbins. But Nintendo is tough. :-(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Narcissus1916 posted:

I can't wait to get to 3d World - my whole "play all the mainstream mario games before the year is out" was kickstarted by me wanting to play 3d World and Land.

I tried to largely go in order of release, but a friend let me borrow his copy of Mario 3d Land and I really dug it. I do miss some of Galaxy's splendor and physics, but 3d Land was still a hell of a wonderfully crafted adventure.

Oh you're gonna love the balls out of 3D World

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The flowers levels in 3D World are some poo poo, I tell ya hwat. Getting all three stars seems to be my problem. I blast through a level, get maybe two, play it again for the third and I find out I missed it because it's either hard as hell or hidden and hard as hell.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

Is that what he says? I heard "I'm fine!" the first time, and can't un-hear it (but that's OK because it's hilarious.) In the same fashion, I can't help but think Toadette says "Hey! Go gay!"
Man, I still don't know what Toadette says, there. I couldn't even get as far as a "So long gay Bowser" translation, it just sounds like gibberish to me. Maybe it's "Hey, okay!" but why would it be that??

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

raditts posted:

:fuckoff:

Though playing jump rope with the buggers was fun.

I've finished Bayo2 and started doing the trials. I played the trials up to the fifth one and after getting bored from constantly killing that orange wall of HP to replay the game on a harder difficulty to get the weapons and other stuff I missed. I thought the final boss was fun, but somehow he wasn't quite as grandiose as Jubileus and Father Balder.
Nice ending though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

Sunshine was rushed to market,right? Because the controls and physics feel off, and not in a good way. I thought for a second it might be because I'm using the classic controller, but I'm pretty sure I remember the slippery feel to the controls as well.

Also, with the removal of the long jump and the backflip (The backflip is possible to do, but has a weird delay), Sunshine relies heavily upon the side somersault move. Which would be fine, except its finicky as poo poo.

I'd be curious to know if the tweaking of the physics was a conscious choice or something that came about because of a rushed and imprecise time in design. Like I don't really love the 3d Land and World changes, but I totally understand why they removed and altered so many moves. This just feels worse.

I've literally never felt anything other than complete bliss when I play Sunshine. Maybe the classic controller is giving you issues? Sunshine was clearly designed for a gamecube controller. I don't know what else to tell you otherwise, I honestly think Sunshine controls better than almost any other game I've ever played in my life. There's just so many different tools you have to traverse your environments, both with and without FLUUD.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

There is nothing in Sunshine that doesn't improve on 64 except music

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario Sunshine stole its opening from Sonic Adventure. Hang it up, Shiggy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Should've stolen it from Adventure 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess they stole the "return from holiday, fight a water monster" part from Adventure 1 and the "get mistaken for your evil doppelganger" part from Adventure 2.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shadow isn't evil. Don't post things like that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"Talk about your low-budget flights...no spaghetti or meataballs? I'm-a outta here!"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario Sunshine stole its opening from Sonic Adventure. Hang it up, Shiggy.

Well they managed to use that idea for a good game this time so I'll forgive it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

Well they managed to use that idea for a good game this time so I'll forgive it.

You're right, Sonic Adventure was a good game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

oddium posted:

Shadow isn't evil. Don't post things like that

He's whatever you want to be thanks to Shadow the Hedgehog's dynamic branching morality system. Black-hearted hero, brave-hearted hero, he is... all of him.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ultigonio posted:

Man, I still don't know what Toadette says, there. I couldn't even get as far as a "So long gay Bowser" translation, it just sounds like gibberish to me. Maybe it's "Hey, okay!" but why would it be that??

My favourite "what the gently caress is he saying?" moment from any Nintendo game is Mario 64:

baba ba, ba-da bah! Let's tickle!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't unhear Peach shouting "Motherfucker!" in one of her laughs when she does a trick.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

My favourite "what the gently caress is he saying?" moment from any Nintendo game

Can your give us the other contenders for reference

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

oddium posted:

Sure, here's my 9-part youtube documentary about misheard sounds in Nintendo games,

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

You didn't link to anything

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's because I'm not a massive asperger who has a youtube series, hth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Oh. It sounded like a pretty cool series, like "[record scratch] wu-what did he just say ?? Can he say that in a Nintendo game"

But you were just lying about it for "cred" or something. Hmm.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
This guy says Toad is easy, but also said it wasn't his type of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JRZ91E974

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That's probably going to be the most triggering video this thread has ever seen. Good job.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I_Like_Me posted:

I like that he admitted that.
More people need to realize that some games aren't for them.
Along with that, some people need to understand that just because they absolutely love a game, doesn't mean everyone does.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

oddium posted:

Well you see in Mario Kart 8 Bowser says this 6-letter word that starts with the letter N when he does a trick, I forget which word it was exactly but I'm sure a number of forum members could help figure it out

I_Like_Me posted:

Pretty spot on review, but he clearly didn't play into episode 3.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

enojy posted:

Well you see in Mario Kart 8 Bowser says this 6-letter word that starts with the letter N when he does a trick, I forget which word it was exactly but I'm sure a number of forum members could help figure it out

Pretty spot on review, but he clearly didn't play into episode 3.

Nougat?
Strange, he always struck me as more of dark chocolate kind of person.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Austrian mook posted:

I've literally never felt anything other than complete bliss when I play Sunshine. Maybe the classic controller is giving you issues? Sunshine was clearly designed for a gamecube controller. I don't know what else to tell you otherwise, I honestly think Sunshine controls better than almost any other game I've ever played in my life. There's just so many different tools you have to traverse your environments, both with and without FLUUD.

I always thought the controls and physics were great also. But I could see how playing on the classic controller wouldn't be as good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Put Nintendon't on your Wii U and play it with a Gamecube controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why does he give a smug look when he proves he can talk about a game in under a minute... that doesn't seem particularly difficult?

• Locked thread