Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I guess this pertains to this thread, too.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/08/19/338895262/mental-health-cops-help-reweave-social-safety-net-in-san-antonio

quote:

It's almost 4 p.m., and police officers Ernest Stevens and Ned Bandoske have been driving around town in their unmarked black SUV since early this morning. The officers are part of San Antonio's mental health squad — a six-person unit that answers the frequent emergency calls where mental illness may be an issue.

The officers spot a call for help on their laptop from a group home across town.

“ We had absolutely no training 20 years ago in the police academy on how to deal with mental health disturbances.
- Ernest Stevens, San Antonio police officer
"A male individual put a blanket on fire this morning," Stevens reads from the blotter. "He's arguing ... and is a danger to himself and others. He's off his medications."

A few minutes later, the SUV pulls up in front of the group home. A thin 24-year-old sits on a wooden bench out back, wearing a black hoodie.

To deal with the problem, San Antonio and Bexar County have transformed their mental health system into a program considered a model for the rest of the nation. Today, the jails aren't full, and the city and county have saved $50 million over the past five years.
--
The effort has focused on an idea called "smart justice" — basically, diverting people with serious mental illness out of jail and into treatment instead.
--
San Antonio's new approach starts with the kind of interaction Bandoske and Stevens are having with Mason. The troubled young man is hunched over, and his eyes dart back and forth between the two officers. He mumbles answers to the officers' questions, sometimes stopping to stare at a spot in the distance. For outsiders, it's hard to know what's going on, but the officers say they can tell Mason is hallucinating. Bandoske kneels in front of him, trying to maintain eye contact and get Mason's attention.

"Are you hearing some voices right now?" Bandoske asks. "You are, aren't you? What are the voices telling you?" Mason is silent, but Bandoske persists. "Hey Mason, you're seeing something that I'm not seeing. What is it?"

These officers seem more like social workers than law enforcers. Stevens says that's a huge change from his early days on the police force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

zzyzx posted:

Criminal charges would probably require that he knew his statements were false at the time and made them anyway

This is demonstrably the case. Have you watched the surveillance video and listened to the 911 call? Either Ronald Ritchie was in the middle of a wild hallucinatory episode when he made that call or he was knowingly lying his rear end off. Also he later admitted that he was lying his rear end off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sam Hall posted:

This is demonstrably the case. Have you watched the surveillance video and listened to the 911 call? Either Ronald Ritchie was in the middle of a wild hallucinatory episode when he made that call or he was knowingly lying his rear end off. Also he later admitted that he was lying his rear end off.

It wouldn't really matter because there's still a whole host of other obstacles to charging him, like articulating exactly what law he broke.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It wouldn't really matter because there's still a whole host of other obstacles to charging him, like articulating exactly what law he broke.

Arguably,
Involuntary Manslaughter (based on Ohio's version of making a knowingly false report) or Reckless Homicide, both depending on how Ohio courts view proximate cause - how they treat it for felony murder would be a good starting point to get that answer.

pertinent statutes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
In a world where police there were consequences for bad acts by the police, they'd probably jump on Richie to derail a special prosecutor by scapegoating him. But if getting results would be tricky and there won't be any consequences for not prosecuting, why would the DA care?

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

2917.32 Making false alarms

Interestingly although it goes all the way up to third degree felony depending on how much economic harm was caused, it doesn't seem to have anything to say about people getting killed harm. So uh, I guess the decision weather or not to actually charge him with anything's probably going to mainly pivot on how much the store's business was disrupted? :shrug:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Sam Hall posted:

quote:

Wright said that in the video, no other customers appeared to pay much notice to Crawford and the BB gun. But Ritchie said he felt threatened by Crawford, as did his wife, leading to the 911 call. Ritchie was the only person to call 911 from the Walmart.

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXYwBqXbcA

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Dead Reckoning posted:

:psyduck: Do you think the police really have the resources to follow every single shoplifter until they decide to return the merchandise,

No they probably don't but I never said they should.

"Dead Reckoning" posted:

or to babysit every single junkie through multi-hour manic episodes?

They probably don't, but society needs someone who can. If the cops decide (or society demands) that they should deal with junkies or other mentally I'll people, then they should have the training and resources to do so.

dead reckoning posted:

Also, I never said that the cops should shoot the dude for trampling my flowers, just that the police remove the trespasser whether he wants to go or not, because respecting my dignity means not trespassing on my home and destroying my property. I shouldn’t have to wait for the trespasser to decide they’re finished.

Dignity is not dependant on flowers.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man what the gently caress are you even talking about? Yea, it'd be nice if all countries were like Norway where they give a poo poo about people and help them out so that they don't end up homeless and wander around loving people's poo poo up for no reason, but they're not. In the real world if you can't stop yourself from trespassing on vandalising and stealing other people's property then you should be taken away by the cops, because there's nobody else who's gonna do it.

I'm sure you understand how stupid it is to say that any given persons personal property and safety don't actually matter if there's a drug addict or mentally ill person around, so I can only assume this is some kind of fakepost or something.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

ChairMaster posted:

Man what the gently caress are you even talking about? Yea, it'd be nice if all countries were like Norway where they give a poo poo about people and help them out so that they don't end up homeless and wander around loving people's poo poo up for no reason, but they're not. In the real world if you can't stop yourself from trespassing on vandalising and stealing other people's property then you should be taken away by the cops, because there's nobody else who's gonna do it.

I'm sure you understand how stupid it is to say that any given persons personal property and safety don't actually matter if there's a drug addict or mentally ill person around, so I can only assume this is some kind of fakepost or something.

D&D sometimes forgets, especially in the context of threads discussing criminal justice topics, that there are routinely other people party to a given situation that also have rights. Like a property owner to not have a trespasser, or a store owner to not have shoplifter, or even someone walking down a sidewalk during a protest just trying to get from point A to point B being allowed to pass unobstructed. It shouldn't take mental gymnastics to see the other side of a situation like that, but for some folks it does.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Untagged posted:

D&D sometimes forgets that there are routinely other people

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

*contentedly thinks of all the families they've separated for the holidays*

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

joat mon posted:

Arguably,
Involuntary Manslaughter (based on Ohio's version of making a knowingly false report) or Reckless Homicide, both depending on how Ohio courts view proximate cause - how they treat it for felony murder would be a good starting point to get that answer.

pertinent statutes

The problem is, as I think was pointed out, that it requires the caller to have reasonably foreseen the police were just gonna roll up and blow the guy away instead of handling it properly. Which despite I'm sure people in this thread will jump to "that should be a given", it really isn't at all.

Also it would put the prosecutor in the amusing position of having to argue that not only are the police so inept that they don't own agency over their own actions, but this is obviously the case to the point the public at large should be reasonably aware of it. Even then... unless there's some way to define proximate cause in a contributory way in Ohio it seems really hard to get over the hump that this poo poo sandwich belongs to the cops.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

Untagged posted:

D&D sometimes forgets, especially in the context of threads discussing criminal justice topics, that there are routinely other people party to a given situation that also have rights. Like a property owner to not have a trespasser, or a store owner to not have shoplifter, or even someone walking down a sidewalk during a protest just trying to get from point A to point B being allowed to pass unobstructed. It shouldn't take mental gymnastics to see the other side of a situation like that, but for some folks it does.

I'm sure it's totally unintentional that both of you are failing to distinguish between property rights and bodily harm. If someone is threatening your personal safety, of course the police should physically intervene with the least amount of force possible to end that threat. But your property rights do not (to be fair, it is 'should not' rather than 'do not' under the current state of affairs) supersede anyone's rights to continue breathing.

If someone running out of a store with a DVD player can't be apprehended without a violent tackle or tasering, it's better to just let it go, give the store manager a police report to file with insurance, and then attempt to identify (security footage, witnesses) and peacefully apprehend (knock on his door, flag his plates and pull him over) the suspect. If some mentally ill person is trampling your flowers (the original issue that you were responding to), the role of the police should be to try to talk him down, issue a citation (mail it if the person isn't cooperating), get in touch with mental health professionals who may be able to provide specialized help, and yes, even babysit him to make sure that the situation does not escalate beyond the flowers. I don't see why anyone should give enough of a poo poo about your flowers to create a violent situation where there wasn't one before. Unfortunately cops tend to have no compunction about escalating a situation, so it's a lot more likely that they will run up guns drawn, bark a bunch of orders at a person who may or may not be capable of immediately understanding and following them, proceed to beat the poo poo out of him for not complying instantly, then haul him off to jail.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

Here in America we have insurance, so dunno what bumbfuck place your talking about.

Untagged posted:

First the insurance thing is a thing. Second, actually alot more people than yourself have longterm understanding of why reform is necessary. When officers are held accountable people are less likely to take actions against them are are compliant. But when you show that officers who do the right thing are fired or fragged by their own team & the bad cops think they can just shoot people without a care you start the Dinkheller Effect where citizens arm themselves for protection, just look at Texas: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140820-huey-p.-newton-gun-club-leads-open-carry-rally-in-south-dallas.ece

If cops were really concerned with lives they would get their poo poo together and protect Officers who uphold and obey the law & punish those that don't. But people like yourself who fight against reform basically are just begging for citizens to arm themselves and protect themselves from cops who think they can just act any way they want, forgetting people have second amendment rights after all.

Though the good news is that if every Person of Color & Woman was armed you would have alot less chickenshit cops harassing people if they know someone could put a bullet between their beady little eyes.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at middle class white dnd posters not understanding that strong property rights are needed for society to function. Yes if someone steals your tv you can just have daddy buy you a new one no big deal. That store owner absolutely can't have people shoplifting without consequence. First his insurance will go up to the point of being unaffordable if he keeps filing claims. Second there are people who will rob him blind and not give a poo poo about a summons in the mail. Third even if the perp is caught, the property may never be recovered. Most stores have tight margins and can't obsorb that cost.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Lol at middle class white dnd posters not understanding that strong property rights are needed for society to function. Yes if someone steals your tv you can just have daddy buy you a new one no big deal. That store owner absolutely can't have people shoplifting without consequence. First his insurance will go up to the point of being unaffordable if he keeps filing claims. Second there are people who will rob him blind and not give a poo poo about a summons in the mail. Third even if the perp is caught, the property may never be recovered. Most stores have tight margins and can't obsorb that cost.

Yea, this is pretty much the gist of it. I can only assume that certain posters just have never actually had to go to a poo poo neighborhood for a short visit, much less ever live or work in one.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm utterly confused by people's inability to extrapolate the results of a single occurrence into consequences resulting from making that single occurrence systemic. I'm also thoroughly confused by people who hold rights to be absolute with no respect to circumstance despite managing the interaction and compromise between competing rights being one of the foundational purposes of society.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Lol at middle class white dnd posters
Some of us are laughing at this statement, just not for the reason you think.

quote:

Yes if someone steals your tv you can just have daddy buy you a new one no big deal. That store owner absolutely can't have people shoplifting without consequence. First his insurance will go up to the point of being unaffordable if he keeps filing claims. Second there are people who will rob him blind and not give a poo poo about a summons in the mail. Third even if the perp is caught, the property may never be recovered. Most stores have tight margins and can't obsorb that cost.
Do you or have you actually work in any kind of retail? It's pretty dishonest to think there is no protection from shrinkage other than insurance and armed retaliation.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

And why is this being brought up in the police reform thread?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

tezcat posted:

Do you or have you actually work in any kind of retail? It's pretty dishonest to think there is no protection from shrinkage other than insurance and armed retaliation.

Yea, it's when you call the cops and they come haul away some idiot junkie.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What law is involved when they charge somebody with 'swatting?' Wouldn't that work?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

tezcat posted:

Though the good news is that if every Person of Color & Woman was armed you would have alot less chickenshit cops harassing people if they know someone could put a bullet between their beady little eyes.

Not true. If more minorities were armed and ready to defend themselves from cops, police departments would move to become even more militarized. poo poo, that's the justification for it NOW, despite falling police mortality rates. Being a cop is actually safer than ever, but the call for more heavy handed tactics is ongoing. For example, rather than setting up a fair distance away from Tamir Rice, ascertaining his intent and assessing the situation, they rolled right up on the gazebo and blew him away with minimal (if any) warning. Their first act of engagement was to shoot. This is justified by the imaginary danger that officers were in, because we all know how dangerous America is because of guns in everyone's hands.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

anonumos posted:

Not true. If more minorities were armed and ready to defend themselves from cops, police departments would move to become even more militarized. poo poo, that's the justification for it NOW, despite falling police mortality rates. Being a cop is actually safer than ever, but the call for more heavy handed tactics is ongoing. For example, rather than setting up a fair distance away from Tamir Rice, ascertaining his intent and assessing the situation, they rolled right up on the gazebo and blew him away with minimal (if any) warning. Their first act of engagement was to shoot. This is justified by the imaginary danger that officers were in, because we all know how dangerous America is because of guns in everyone's hands.

To be fair, the Tamir Rice situation is much more about the Vet cop being an idiot and driving right up on him combined with the Rookie being a idiot manchild who panicked and should have never been allowed a gun or a badge in the first place then it is about heavy handed tactics and militarization.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Jarmak posted:

To be fair, the Tamir Rice situation is much more about the Vet cop being an idiot and driving right up on him combined with the Rookie being a idiot manchild who panicked and should have never been allowed a gun or a badge in the first place then it is about heavy handed tactics and militarization.

"Bad apples"? loving come on, man.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

anonumos posted:

"Bad apples"? loving come on, man.

what?

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

anonumos posted:

poo poo, that's the justification for it NOW.
So all that changes is that people of color are armed and either a) black people have a chance to defend themselves against power tripping cops or b) sweeping gun laws that get the nra & others involved with police reform.

Only thing your conservative white male loves more than cops are guns.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I think he's referring to leaving out the 'spoils the bunch' part of the quote. The systematic issue that people are up in arms about, and that is coming up again with the Tamir Rice situation, isn't that some poorly screened dumbass shot a kid. It's that some poorly screened dumbass shot a kid, then the rest of the department closed ranks and vehemently defended said dumbass for shooting a kid and the state attorney's office is (probably) going to let the dumbass get away with it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think he's referring to leaving out the 'spoils the bunch' part of the quote. The systematic issue that people are up in arms about, and that is coming up again with the Tamir Rice situation, isn't that some poorly screened dumbass shot a kid. It's that some poorly screened dumbass shot a kid, then the rest of the department closed ranks and vehemently defended said dumbass for shooting a kid and the state attorney's office is (probably) going to let the dumbass get away with it.

The whole thing is just loving tragic, the reports on the guy make him sound mentally ill, and the video makes sure seem like authentic panic the way the idiot falls on his rear end then scrambles across the ground to get away. I blame the department more for giving that guy a badge and a gun more than I blame the guy.

The guy who drove up so close is at fault too, but criminally? I mean he should be disciplined for incompetency, but I'm not really sure he should be expected to anticipate that his partner was going to freak out and shoot a 12 year old.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Interestingly enough, one of the only ways to get a concealed carry permit in NY is to carry large sums of money or jewelry with you. Simply wanting to preserve your life from mortal threat is not enough, you have to demonstrate that you are carrying valuables. So money is worth more than human life, and worth much more when it comes to certain kinds of humans.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Interestingly enough, one of the only ways to get a concealed carry permit in NY is to carry large sums of money or jewelry with you. Simply wanting to preserve your life from mortal threat is not enough, you have to demonstrate that you are carrying valuables. So money is worth more than human life, and worth much more when it comes to certain kinds of humans.

Or just perhaps the people carrying valuable sums of money, such as couriers, are the ones who face somekind of risk?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Or maybe its because those people are at higher risk because they're targets?

edit:gently caress, beaten

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Ok but if you are a target, you just give up the goods and walk away right. It's the money they want.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Ok but if you are a target, you just give up the goods and walk away right. It's the money they want.

Correct, and people who professionally transport valuables are taught to do exactly that. The gun is because their physical safety is more likely to be threatened as a result of carrying valuables, not to protect the valuables.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
That sounds good on paper, but in reality the gun is to protect the valuables. And that is how it will be used by the person.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SedanChair posted:

*contentedly thinks of all the families they've separated for the holidays*

yes, that's exactly right.

You know, it takes a particularly warped view of the world to see a prosecutor as the monster and a convicted murderer or pederast as the victim.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

You know, it takes a particularly warped view of the world to see a prosecutor as the monster and a convicted murderer or pederast as the victim.

I view both the perpetrator and the victim as victims of the shortcomings of the society. It's not very warped.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ActusRhesus posted:

That is a topic that is far bigger than "we side with the criminal". You're brushing aside many issues to reduce your debate opponents' arguments into absurdity.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

This coming from the same person who has repeatedly defended prison sentences for non-violent drug offenders in this very thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This coming from the same person who has repeatedly defended prison sentences for non-violent drug offenders in this very thread?

I seem to recall saying that for most simple possession cases, diversionary programs were more appropriate than incarceration. I also seem to recall stating repeatedly that I was not opposed to legalization of most narcotics.

But by all means, argue against the point you wish I had made, not the point I actually made...

• Locked thread