Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
FYI just got an awesome box from Krustster with bonus KBS, would trade again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I haven't really traded before (just have done the BIFs here) but I have a little more cash flow coming in and am looking to try it. Does anyone still have a bottle or two of Bell's Mars sitting around? PM me and we can talk about that/hopefully some other stuff too.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wet Tie Affair posted:

I haven't really traded before (just have done the BIFs here) but I have a little more cash flow coming in and am looking to try it. Does anyone still have a bottle or two of Bell's Mars sitting around? PM me and we can talk about that/hopefully some other stuff too.

If there's any Mars left, it's probably not so great anymore as it's a little over 4 months old now (only bottled once). Unless you're looking for it as a collector's item, then go hog wild! More planets to come soon.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

krustster posted:

If there's any Mars left, it's probably not so great anymore as it's a little over 4 months old now (only bottled once). Unless you're looking for it as a collector's item, then go hog wild! More planets to come soon.

Half to agree, 4 months on the shelf is going to taste skunky. My last brew didn't even last a month before it started getting skunky.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Yeah, I know it's not going to taste great, and I was ready to give up on the Planets series (I could have gotten Mars, but I stopped paying attention to beer for a few weeks around when it was released) but then I got a Venus and saw they had unique caps. I do this:

with my bottle caps, and now I feel like I need to have one for Mars. So, if anyone has any bottles, please let me know! I don't think I mentioned I'm in WI, so have access to New Glarus, Central Waters, etc. Would be cool trading for other locals.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

krustster posted:

Drinking one right now and it's still drinking great.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
Anybody in our around Holland MI? Looking for a couple of bottles of Carhartt Woodsman from New Holland to give as a gift. I can get my hands on anything from any of the Houston area breweries, and have a couple of pretty solid barrel aged guys tucked away too. Shoot me an email at hayden17 @ gmail.com

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Heads up to anyone that may have traded for any Toppling Goliath stouts: Apparently one particular piece of poo poo has been making counterfeits by opening real bottles, drinking the beer, then filling with a different beer and recapping/rewaxing. I didn't get burned by this dude, but I would implore you, if you are interested in trading for it, to get as much information about the origins of any bottle of those beers as much as possible. http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/i-think-i-got-duped-feedback-please.234718/

I'm glad that something pissed me off long ago about that dude enough for me to add him to my do-not-trade list, because he was on it.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
http://france44.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=carhart

I haven't ordered from them but they're apparently good and reliable online sellers. As a bonus there are plenty of other cool beers on there to check out including obviously Surly but less obviously Bauhaus Wonderstuff which has incredibly high reviews that are tempting me to order from them as I write this post.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

http://france44.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=carhart

I haven't ordered from them but they're apparently good and reliable online sellers. As a bonus there are plenty of other cool beers on there to check out including obviously Surly but less obviously Bauhaus Wonderstuff which has incredibly high reviews that are tempting me to order from them as I write this post.

Yeah, france44 is pretty good. Before Surly got Chicago distro I ordered a four pack of Furious and a couple bottles of Pentagram from them.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

crazyfish posted:

Heads up to anyone that may have traded for any Toppling Goliath stouts: Apparently one particular piece of poo poo has been making counterfeits by opening real bottles, drinking the beer, then filling with a different beer and recapping/rewaxing. I didn't get burned by this dude, but I would implore you, if you are interested in trading for it, to get as much information about the origins of any bottle of those beers as much as possible. http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/i-think-i-got-duped-feedback-please.234718/

I'm glad that something pissed me off long ago about that dude enough for me to add him to my do-not-trade list, because he was on it.

I hate to say it but it's SHOCKING it's taken this long for someone to get popped doing this. As far as dirtbag grifts go, this seems like low-hanging fruit but with the added effort of dipping the bottle for authenticity.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wattershed posted:

I hate to say it but it's SHOCKING it's taken this long for someone to get popped doing this. As far as dirtbag grifts go, this seems like low-hanging fruit but with the added effort of dipping the bottle for authenticity.
I just remember reading about that well-regarded wine merchant dude who got popped a couple years back. From what I recall, he was mixing newer, cheaper wines and going to some effort to recreate vintage labels to slap on old reused bottles. I think he had an error on a label, or someone tested the ink or some poo poo to finally catch him on the details. Turned out he had been doing it for decades and probably made hundreds of thousands off of passing off cheap wine as rare & valuable vintages.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hardy Rodenstock was his name. He made a fortune selling bottles with questionable provenance. There's an excellent non-fiction book about that whole scandal called The Billionaire's Vinegar.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wet Tie Affair posted:

Yeah, I know it's not going to taste great, and I was ready to give up on the Planets series (I could have gotten Mars, but I stopped paying attention to beer for a few weeks around when it was released) but then I got a Venus and saw they had unique caps. I do this:

with my bottle caps, and now I feel like I need to have one for Mars. So, if anyone has any bottles, please let me know! I don't think I mentioned I'm in WI, so have access to New Glarus, Central Waters, etc. Would be cool trading for other locals.

Oooah that is pretty badass. And about the beer itself, I didn't mean to be a "has to be drank within one week" person about it, just a heads up. I think there have been a few people who didn't even know it was an IPA and were annoyed that it couldn't be cellared or whatever.

Retemnav posted:

FYI just got an awesome box from Krustster with bonus KBS, would trade again!

Similarly, I received an A+++ box from Retemnav with a bunch of great stuff in it that I can't wait to blast!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Hardy Rodenstock was his name. He made a fortune selling bottles with questionable provenance. There's an excellent non-fiction book about that whole scandal called The Billionaire's Vinegar.

Oh, I was totally thinking of Rudy Kurniawan, but now I have another one to read up on. Thanks!

edit: apparently the number for Kurniawan is up to $30m USD.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

wattershed posted:

it happened a couple years back and was a thing on BA, but, yeah, surprised it doesn't happen more frequently. what gets the most about this instance is that the dude didn't even put a vanilla beer back in the bottle (or at least a few drops of extract)

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Randomly found some Gingerbread Stout at Trade Joe's last night and grabbed a few... anybody want some for trayde?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Randomly found some Gingerbread Stout at Trade Joe's last night and grabbed a few... anybody want some for trayde?

If you mean Hardywood, I am interested. I am in SE MN so Surly, Indeed, New Glarus, Toppling Goliath and lots of others are all possible with a little effort. I have a pretty decent New Glarus Thumbprint cellar, which a few people in here have benefited from.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Ezrem posted:

If you mean Hardywood, I am interested. I am in SE MN so Surly, Indeed, New Glarus, Toppling Goliath and lots of others are all possible with a little effort. I have a pretty decent New Glarus Thumbprint cellar, which a few people in here have benefited from.

Color me interested! And yes, I do mean Hardywood.

Which New Glarus beers would you be willing to part with? I've not heard of/had Indeed, what are their notables?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Color me interested! And yes, I do mean Hardywood.

Which New Glarus beers would you be willing to part with? I've not heard of/had Indeed, what are their notables?

I have plenty of all of this year's Thumbprint beers, other than Scream IIPA and Berliner Weiss. That's Apple Ale, Cran-bic, Oud Bruin, Dubbel and Spiced Ale. All are excellent. I have limited quantities of some past years Cran-Bic, Abt, Wild Sour Ale, maybe Enigma and Cherry Stout. I also have a couple of the larger fruit beer bottles, like Strawberry Rhubarb and maybe Serendipity. If you don't mind waiting a bit to put the trade together, I can pretty easily get whatever you want from them.

Indeed is pretty much the new Surly, IMO. Everything they make is solid, but their Day Tripper IPA and Midnight Ryder Black IPA are really excellent.

If you've not had any Toppling Goliath yet and you're into the hoppy stuff, I can't recommend them highly enough. They're blowing pretty much everything else out of the water. I can get PseudoSue, Golden Nugget, Dorothy and lately Light Speed are all pretty easy to get, but the rest can be tough if you don't make a trip to the brewery.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Ezrem posted:

I have plenty of all of this year's Thumbprint beers, other than Scream IIPA and Berliner Weiss. That's Apple Ale, Cran-bic, Oud Bruin, Dubbel and Spiced Ale. All are excellent. I have limited quantities of some past years Cran-Bic, Abt, Wild Sour Ale, maybe Enigma and Cherry Stout. I also have a couple of the larger fruit beer bottles, like Strawberry Rhubarb and maybe Serendipity. If you don't mind waiting a bit to put the trade together, I can pretty easily get whatever you want from them.

Indeed is pretty much the new Surly, IMO. Everything they make is solid, but their Day Tripper IPA and Midnight Ryder Black IPA are really excellent.

If you've not had any Toppling Goliath yet and you're into the hoppy stuff, I can't recommend them highly enough. They're blowing pretty much everything else out of the water. I can get PseudoSue, Golden Nugget, Dorothy and lately Light Speed are all pretty easy to get, but the rest can be tough if you don't make a trip to the brewery.

Gotcha, cool... I will definitely consider it. I was hoping to maybe get some Hill Farmstead (dont care what), or some Jester King. I have no idea if that is an equal trade though. I have had Golden Nugget, and definitely enjoyed it.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 11, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
In search of Hill Farmstead Aaron; I'm in SoCal with access to almost all beers produced here including special releases and have a fair number of beers from other regions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Gotcha, cool... I will definitely consider it. I was hoping to maybe get some Hill Farmstead (dont care what), or some Jester King. I have no idea if that is an equal trade though. I have had Golden Nugget, and definitely enjoyed it.

shelf HF with the right person could happen, but GBS has been out for a few years and they made a lot of it this winter.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Just got an awesome box from wattershed with a bonus Ken Schmidt Brews Mint Chocolate RIS, would trade again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Apache posted:

Just got an awesome box from wattershed with a bonus Ken Schmidt Brews Mint Chocolate RIS, would trade again.

Excellent, glad it made the trip successfully. Apache sent a well-packed box (DB Huna!) with some sweet extras as well. Good trade.

Re: that Ken Schmidt beer, might be my favorite SD beer released this year and definitely my favorite in that box.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm really really interested in a few KBS and I have lots of whalebeer to trade for it. Gonna post my list later, but let me know if you have some you're looking to move.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm really really interested in a few KBS and I have lots of whalebeer to trade for it. Gonna post my list later, but let me know if you have some you're looking to move.

a four-year vertical?

oh, and a couple extra from the last release

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 22, 2014

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I've got 3 2014 kbs left I'll move em

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I need to find the link to my google cellar spreadsheet somewhere, don't I?

I just checked it and its super out of date. Its gonna need to be updated before I can really give enough meaningful information.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 22, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Florida: I want all your Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. I also want all your BA Snowed In.

You will be rewarded handsomely. PM me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've got 4 Backwoods Bastards I'm willing to part with. I'd be interested in any good IPAs or stouts not available in Ohio.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Just completed a solid trade with Apache . Great trader who I've dealt with a few times now!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, are there are sure-fire ways to ship in the winter in the cold parts of our country?

I order regularly from beer temple in Chicago to get the latest Pipeworks releaeses and I really want Bean Gene/Mean Gene and the new Mint Truffle Abduction.... thoughts on them freezing in transit? or shoudl I just wait it out and hope they release the Mint Truffle again this summer?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Things usually don't freeze in transit, typically the risk is when it sits on your porch for a long time. I've gotten numerous cold weather beer shipments and usually the bottles felt cold but nothing bad happened. And of course better safe than sorry or whatever, but from what I understand only corked bottles, especially lambic type things, run any real risk of blowing up when they freeze. I've left bottles in the freezer overnight by mistake and they were totally normal when consumed after thawing in the fridge.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Awesome news. Thank you. I guess I'll just order, have him ship and then when I track it select "pick up at drop off point" so it sits in an office overnight instead of my porch.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

krustster posted:

Things usually don't freeze in transit, typically the risk is when it sits on your porch for a long time. I've gotten numerous cold weather beer shipments and usually the bottles felt cold but nothing bad happened. And of course better safe than sorry or whatever, but from what I understand only corked bottles, especially lambic type things, run any real risk of blowing up when they freeze. I've left bottles in the freezer overnight by mistake and they were totally normal when consumed after thawing in the fridge.

Mm, I've had a capped 12oz bottle get left overnight in a friends too-cold fridge, it froze and spewed beer and glass shards everywhere. The neck blew off in a single piece.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i've had beer freeze and explode inside of the box prior to delivery. my understanding is that the freezing point drops two degrees for every 1% ABV, so if you're getting higher-alcohol beers and it won't be much below freezing, you should be okay. otherwise, try to check the five-day forecast between yourself and the shipment origin to make sure you're not facing low temps in the teens or something.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I suppose the level of carbonation (pressure in the bottle) has some effect on whether the bottles explode if they freeze, as well. And yeah higher ABVs will freeze less readily. And the actual temperature will make a difference. gently caress winter! it's -10 here today and I simply won't stand for it.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Vertigo posted:

Just completed a solid trade with Apache . Great trader who I've dealt with a few times now!

Got some great extras in that trade from Vertigo, including a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Relevant:

:iceburn:

• Locked thread