Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, Flash is going to be fighting his son who is the new Trickster so Hamill will be in jail with Barry's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Yeah, Flash is going to be fighting his son who is the new Trickster so Hamill will be in jail with Barry's dad

"OK, Detective West, Mr Allen, I'll help you, but I'll only talk to the Flas- Hey, where'd Allen go?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From the screenwriter of The Man of Steel comes Gotham: Superman Style as a SyFy original series.

I think Before Smallville would be punchier.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Who the gently caress is Superman's grandfather and why they didn't just use Jor-El?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Who the gently caress is Superman's grandfather and why they didn't just use Jor-El?

Yeah, my understanding is that Zod is from roughly the same generation as Jor-EL (before getting stuck in the phantom zone), so they'd also be able to show him rising through the ranks of Kryptonian military or whatever. Maybe he's a little older than Jor-El and we'll get to see 12 year old Zod.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can we get a tv show about Uncle Ben as a conscientious objector during Vietnam that struggles to expose Harrison Osborn's corrupt dealings as a part time photographer?

Ha ha, just kidding, they wouldn't make a lovely smallville type show with any kind of progressive or pacifist message.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There's early reviews without spoilers for tomorrow's Agents of SHIELD that are heaping big praise on it and saying it's actually moving the MCU forward in an important way instead of just reacting to it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dacap posted:

There's early reviews without spoilers for tomorrow's Agents of SHIELD that are heaping big praise on it and saying it's actually moving the MCU forward in an important way instead of just reacting to it.

So, the entire Royal family shows up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dacap posted:

Yeah, but these are reviews from people who think Agents of SHIELD is a good show, how much can you trust them?

Seriously though, why is "the amount of plot pushed forward" considered the high water mark for quality in a TV show?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but these are reviews from people who think Agents of SHIELD is a good show, how much can you trust them?

Seriously though, why is "the amount of plot pushed forward" considered the high water mark for quality in a TV show?

It's high praise for AoS in particular though. You know, the show that was stuck running in place for 2/3 of it's first season?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That's why he said the word "and".

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

It is a good show, though. At least currently.

That specific praise should probably be taken with a grain of salt, though. There were advance reviews for the S1 finale that interpreted Coulson taking over SHIELD as a huge event that would "obviously" have repercussions for the films.

EDIT: oh, hmm, turns out the reviewer Dacap is probably referring to is also the same one who said that about the S1 finale. Yeah, grain of salt.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Can we get a tv show about Uncle Ben as a conscientious objector during Vietnam that struggles to expose Harrison Osborn's corrupt dealings as a part time photographer?

Ha ha, just kidding, they wouldn't make a lovely smallville type show with any kind of progressive or pacifist message.

Entire show is Uncle Ben in 'Nam with his war buddy Frank Castle. They bond as Ben talks about his new wife and Castle talks of his newborn son back home. But over the course of the season, Castle is showing signs of delighting in war far too much. In the season/series-once-it-gets-canceled finale, Ben tries to stop Frank from calling in an airstrike on a village some Vietcong soldiers are hiding in, telling him "With great power comes great responsibility"

e: But seriously, why the hell would you make a Superman prequel? I mean, there are so many things that can go wrong.

• Exhaust your TV budget on effects/costumes to make it look like an alien planet and still have it look like poo poo.
  • Have like 5 recognizable characters to even comic nerds.
  • Zero crossover potential
  • Entire story ends with everyone inevitably dead is a downer.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 9, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jng2058 posted:

It's high praise for AoS in particular though. You know, the show that was stuck running in place for 2/3 of it's first season?

They could have still made interesting episodes during that first 2/3rds. I think the only reason the current season get's as much praise as it does is the contrast between how loving dire most of the first season was, then they managed to get Lucy Lawless in the season opener and now have Kyle Maclaughlin running around being crazy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Naw, it's just a really good show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

[*]Entire story ends with everyone inevitably dead is a downer.

You get to see Kara as a baby, and Krypto being born!

But really, the best plot I can think of for the show is starting the series with Jor-El sending baby Kal-El away, knowing that the planet is doomed, but not exactly when. We then watch Kara Zor-El grow up in the family of a known conspiracy theorist scientist who seems crazy, but suspecting that the only means of escape has already been used by her cousin and that she and her planet are doomed to die. The show is essentially Rome or Game of Thrones where everyone is fighting politically about the ecological crisis, leaning heavily on global warming denier allegory, manipulation of the people and the media for political gain at the expense of Kryptonian's futures. Kara grows up having to grow strong and defiant in a social and political climate dominated by fear, unease, and mistrust. Over time, Jor-El gains supporters, but it's too late, and the series ends with her jumping in a cryotube as the planet is falling apart, then flashes to "15 years later..." and Superman's spaceship shines a light on her face, still living amongst the rocky asteroids created by her destroyed planet.

Iiiiiiiif only there wasn't a Supergirl TV show coming out that made all of that impossible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of the three comic shows that I watch I think this season Shield has been the best of the three by a fairly wide margin. Arrow has kind of been meandering about and Flash has a slew of mediocre to really bad enemies and guest stars (with the exception of Snart who was great) even though the rest of the show around it has been really solid. Every episode of Shield this season I've felt was a solid episode of TV and I just can't say that for Arrow or Flash at all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huh. Teen Titans is getting a pilot greenlit for 2015, according to Geoff Johns twitter. With Dick Grayson (Nightwing) as leader.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Oracle posted:

Huh. Teen Titans is getting a pilot greenlit for 2015, according to Geoff Johns twitter. With Dick Grayson (Nightwing) as leader.

Huh, that actually makes a lot of sense, Teen Titans is the series that literally is about drama and superheroics. And arguably more about drama. Is this going to be part of ever growing the CW family or another network?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

e X posted:

Huh, that actually makes a lot of sense, Teen Titans is the series that literally is about drama and superheroics. And arguably more about drama. Is this going to be part of ever growing the CW family or another network?

Is for TNT

I enjoy greatly Arrow, Gotham, Flash and Constantine but I can't help feeling somewhat worried with each new series announcement, it feels like they're saturating the market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is for TNT

I enjoy greatly Arrow, Gotham, Flash and Constantine but I can't help feeling somewhat worried with each new series announcement, it feels like they're saturating the market.

There was a long period of time where Law and Order, Law and Order: SVU, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, CSI, CSI: Miami and CSI: New York were all airing at the same time, plus another half dozen other police procedurals. And the various DC shows are more different from each other than those were.

Also Constantine isn't long for this world so that will make some room.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was about to post something about the number of successful crime investigation show that still dominate the TV schedule. Also, I would say that all these comic book adaption are actually more diverse than the majority of the crime shows, e.g. Gotham has not much in common with the Flash, etc.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Because Caprica was so good amirite amirite :suicide: Prequels are the worst poo poo.

It seems very short-sighted since Krypton in Man of Steel was a very expensive, lavish sequence depicting a truly alien world, and whatever sets they are going to bring out for the show are going to look like youtube fanmovies in comparison.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Naw, it's just a really good show.

True. They really stepped up their game. Ward and Skye are actually really cool characters now! It's not the best show of the year, but I do legit look forward to every episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Another thing which is incredible about Agents of Shield is that they added half a dozen new characters this seasons and they're all great.

I can't even think of another show which has managed to double their cast so quickly and have it work so well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Because Caprica was so good amirite amirite :suicide: Prequels are the worst poo poo.

It seems very short-sighted since Krypton in Man of Steel was a very expensive, lavish sequence depicting a truly alien world, and whatever sets they are going to bring out for the show are going to look like youtube fanmovies in comparison.

That's a terrible example.

They also make sequels to bad movies, it doesn't make sequels bad by default.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can probably count the number of great/necessary prequels in film and television on one hand though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the Hobbit trilogy. There I said it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

greatn posted:

I like the Hobbit trilogy. There I said it.

I don't know if that can count as a prequel. It was written first.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LorneReams posted:

Well, small sections of the Hobbit trilogy are based on a book which was published before LOTR but most of it is stuff that was written/rewritten afterwards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LorneReams posted:

Well the book was but not the movies.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

greatn posted:

Well the book was but not the movies.

I consider "prequels" in the way it was being discussed as being written/developed after the piece it's supposed to come before so you end up getting a lot of "pieces fitting perfectly" and sly wink/nods instead of an organicly growing narrative.

So for the Hobbit, the Necromancer stuff is not really a prequel (the notes were written way before even the hobbit), but a lot of the elvish poo poo may be as it seems to be informed from LoTR.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only kinds of prequels I ever felt were good ideas came from works that had past events as pretty central to the plot. Like say you hear about this great hero from the past and the main character follows in his footsteps, it is appealing to find out about that first hero's own tale. But even then, it rarely works out.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The Spartacus prequel worked in that sense.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I can probably count the number of great/necessary prequels in film and television on one hand though.

I can name like three good ones in total - Godfather II, Batman Year One and Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. Sequels, in general, tend to be better than the first installments because they are free to be as large and ambitious as possible, prequels need to be slavish and fatalistic in regards to the original.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Xmen First Class was pretty good if you don't count it as a reboot instead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Xmen First Class was pretty good if you don't count it as a reboot instead.

Well its a little hard to call it a reboot when it had Wolverine and then Days of Future Past.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

I can name like three good ones in total - Godfather II, Batman Year One and Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. Sequels, in general, tend to be better than the first installments because they are free to be as large and ambitious as possible, prequels need to be slavish and fatalistic in regards to the original.

While percentage wise there are more good sequels than prequels, there are a lot of lovely sequels too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there really an audience out there for Superman without Superman? It just seems like such a boring concept to bring to television. Feel free to replace Superman with Batman in the statement above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JT Smiley posted:

Is there really an audience out there for Superman without Superman? It just seems like such a boring concept to bring to television. Feel free to replace Superman with Batman in the statement above.

There was a show that ran for 10 years that did not have superman in it technically