Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

These are the features I like about Action Launcher that I don't think other launchers have:

• Covers — like a folder except that the icon for the folder is the icon for one of the apps in that folder, and clicking the folder opens that app normally but swiping up opens the folder.
  • 1-Swipe — easy access to the list of all my apps (on the left) or a personalized set of apps and widgets (on the right)
  • Shutters — swipe up on an app's icon to pop up a widget of your choice. Useful for calendar or email apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I'll probably buy 3 since who cares about 3 dollars or whatever it is.

That said I have one weird bug with AL and pocket casts. Every time pocket casts updates the home screen shortcut disappears. Does this happen to anyone else?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

dik-dik posted:

These are the features I like about Action Launcher that I don't think other launchers have:

• Covers — like a folder except that the icon for the folder is the icon for one of the apps in that folder, and clicking the folder opens that app normally but swiping up opens the folder.
  • 1-Swipe — easy access to the list of all my apps (on the left) or a personalized set of apps and widgets (on the right)
  • Shutters — swipe up on an app's icon to pop up a widget of your choice. Useful for calendar or email apps.
I see what you mean. I bought Androsearch to swipe search out of Nova. The thing about Nova is that it seems a little unreliable. 8 time out of 10 it unlocks or answers the phone as expected, it's the 2 times it doesn't that pisses me off.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Nova can do the first one. I actually prefer how it handles it, because the app that you tap to launch doesn't have to be in the folder.

The main reasons I use AL is for 1-Swipe (only use the right side one for frequent apps and two widgets. It replaced SwipePad for me) and the slide out app drawer allowed me to stop worrying about "if I install this, it will shift everything and then my app drawer will be two pages and I can't adjust and aaaaaaaaaaaah"

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Kameh posted:

Somebody posted a home screen running Nova Prime and a new icon pack. Everything was in nice columns and rows and ordered by ROYGBIV. It convinced me to get Nova, though I'm not creative enough to do something like that on my own. Been with it for a while now.

What's a ROYBGIV?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

AnimalChin posted:

What's a ROYBGIV?

ROYGBIV is the mnemonic device to remember the colors of the rainbow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Casyl posted:

I don't remember if it was this app or not, but one of the reviews I read mentioned that one of the cooking apps would display recipe steps on your Android Wear. I thought it was a pretty clever use for Android Wear.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That seems handy. I'd also like to use it for timers (preferably integrated into the recipe steps where appropriate).

Okay. For the first time I'm actually interested in Android Wear.

I use my tablet, and it's hard to keep it clean and dry.

I use my phone and it's not a big concern because it's IP67 rated. But a phone is so drat fiddly and small. I pretty much need to keep picking it up to look at it.

This interesting integrated solution kind of circumvents all that. Sure I could just wrap my tablet in cling wrap like I used to but having things available at a glance is pretty killer.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Android Developers Blog talked about Cookpad here: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/09/allthecooks-on-android-wear.html

I just messed with it and the Wear stuff is really cool. Basically you have a recipe card, and each cooking step is its own card. Only problem is that Cookpad can't import recipes, so you can only use ones from Cookpad users themselves. You can copy/paste recipes into Cookpad, but it publishes them under your name, which I don't think is cool from an ethical standpoint.

Asparagus apparently has the functionality to clip recipes from websites (share from browser into Asparagus), but if the website isn't compatible with the app, there isn't anything easy to import the recipe in, like the browser bookmarklet from Paprika and Pepperplate. Also doesn't have an iOS app, which can be a dealbreaker for people like me who also have iPads and want to use them for cooking. Watch stuff for Asparagus may cost $1.99 IAP.

Paprika seems to do everything but the watch stuff but it's goddamn expensive ($5 for android and iOS, $20 for desktop!). Pepperplate seems to do everything but the watch stuff and is FREE on android, iOS, and PC.

But, the watch stuff is really, really cool so I'll report back if I can find an app that does EVERYTHING.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 8, 2014

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Do any of these cooking apps offer on the fly conversion between metric and imperial system? Because that would be super-handy for me.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Do any of these cooking apps offer on the fly conversion between metric and imperial system? Because that would be super-handy for me.

I noticed Cookpad does it but again you're limited to what recipes you can use. Don't think Pepperplate does it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Skywalker OG posted:

I noticed Cookpad does it but again you're limited to what recipes you can use. Don't think Pepperplate does it.

That would be a super awesome feature, and I'd like to see a weight conversion feature in Pepperplate as well. Oh well, can't have everything...

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Skywalker OG posted:

Asparagus apparently has the functionality to clip recipes from websites (share from browser into Asparagus), but if the website isn't compatible with the app, there isn't anything easy to import the recipe in, like the browser bookmarklet from Paprika and Pepperplate. Also doesn't have an iOS app, which can be a dealbreaker for people like me who also have iPads and want to use them for cooking. Watch stuff for Asparagus may cost $1.99 IAP.

Asparagus definitely requires the 1.99 IAP for wear support. I don't have any wear devices, but that is the message inside the app.

I emailed the developer of Asparagus and it (and probably all the other import from browser apps) are smartly using Rich Snippets for recipes. If a site isn't using that formatting it will not work with importing. I know this because I wrote a cookbook cms for my Mom (because I'm a good loving son) and I did not include the proper rich snippets and importing didn't work until I added that.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Accidentally posted this in the defend your purchase thread for some reason, so i'll paste it here:

Welp i managed to finally convince myself to get a smartphone since i've been running on an old nokia for years. Got an Xperia Z1

Anyway being smart-phone-illiterate i figured it would be a bad idea to come out with all the fuckton of questions i have at once, especially since i expect to be able to figure out most poo poo on my own, unless staying without a smartphone for so long turned me into a complete and utter retard.

So first order of business would be photography i.e. camera and tampering with pics - phone came with its preinstalled (standard i guess) Camera, Albums and Photos apps plus a little something extra called "Pixlr Express".
Should i be looking to remove/replace anything with something that's clearly better out there in the store, free or otherwise?

edit: i should add that any solid recommendations on apps (regardless of their purpose) are welcome as the list in the OP is fairly small btw.

edit2: Was actually tempted to get some comic-book related apps, but the marvel one is fairly low rated on the play store and the DC comics one says it's incompatbile with my device (sony xperia z1 c6903, doesn't show when browsing from the phone at all) - any idea why that is? Is it only available in the US or something?

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 8, 2014

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

uaciaut posted:

So first order of business would be photography i.e. camera and tampering with pics - phone came with its preinstalled (standard i guess) Camera, Albums and Photos apps plus a little something extra called "Pixlr Express".
Should i be looking to remove/replace anything with something that's clearly better out there in the store, free or otherwise?

I don't know about Pixlr Express, but I use Autodesk Pixlr (which might be the same thing?). I don't use it that often but I do occasionally use it to brighten or clean up an image.

I use Touch Retouch and it's pretty handy if you want to remove something from an image. I've used it to remove things that might distract from the image.

I've used AfterFocus Pro to screw around with blurring or setting focus on a picture.

Both of those are paid apps and I've probably used them legitimately 5 times each, so they're definitely not required unless you want to play around with your images. A lot of the features/functionality are probably in Pixlr Express (especially the blurring/focusing part).

Another app I use occasionally is Photo Grid just to make collages for instagram or something. This is a free app and your version of Pixlr Express might also have this feature.

I use the stock Camera and the Photos app (Lollipop version).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

uaciaut posted:

Accidentally posted this in the defend your purchase thread for some reason, so i'll paste it here:

Welp i managed to finally convince myself to get a smartphone since i've been running on an old nokia for years. Got an Xperia Z1

Anyway being smart-phone-illiterate i figured it would be a bad idea to come out with all the fuckton of questions i have at once, especially since i expect to be able to figure out most poo poo on my own, unless staying without a smartphone for so long turned me into a complete and utter retard.

edit: i should add that any solid recommendations on apps (regardless of their purpose) are welcome as the list in the OP is fairly small btw.

edit2: Was actually tempted to get some comic-book related apps, but the marvel one is fairly low rated on the play store and the DC comics one says it's incompatbile with my device (sony xperia z1 c6903, doesn't show when browsing from the phone at all) - any idea why that is? Is it only available in the US or something?

The Sony stock camera app is actually quite nice, but you could also install the stock Google one. In terms of editing, if you're looking for something with nice filters that aren't too overdone, look into VSCOCam and Afterlight. Snapseed is also well-liked but the effects are just not for me, in terms of editing tools like crop or straighten, all three are essentially the same.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I ported my number to Google Voice, and now when I get a text message, it shows up in Google Voice and my messaging app. The voice app is set to receive messages in the app, not the SMS app. Does anybody know how to stop the messages from also going to the SMS app? I'm pretty sure if I were to respond via the Messaging app, it would use my carrier number.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the app called Messaging, not Hangouts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

One nice thing about Pixlr Express is the history brush - you can apply an effect and then paint the previous state back in, if you want to selectively add a blur or contrast or whatever. It's pretty basic (more of an undo brush than a real history brush) but it's the only picture editing app I've seen with that. I've only played with a few though

When apps are incompatible it's usually because of region locking (generally temporary), or because the device is too limited (like newer games on older phones). With something like a comic book app you'd expect everything to run it, but they might be requiring some new features for some reason, and your phone is a couple of generations old. Best thing is to email them and ask, the Z1 might just need whitelisting

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone else suddenly not getting Gmail notifications as of a few days ago? The correct setting is set (and hasn't been changed in years). Everything should work but it's not. This is extremely annoying as I need to respond to emails on a pretty timely basis for work.

Edit: I'm not using Inbox either, just plain ol' Gmail.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 9, 2014

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any text editor that makes writing not suck? I'm not entirely sure about what I want but markdown support would be nice.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone else suddenly not getting Gmail notifications as of a few days ago? The correct setting is set (and hasn't been changed in years). Everything should work but it's not. This is extremely annoying as I need to respond to emails on a pretty timely basis for work.

Any chance you've disabled sync on your phone? I have occasionally disabled mine without realizing it when I pulled down the settings shade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Heners_UK posted:

Any chance you've disabled sync on your phone? I have occasionally disabled mine without realizing it when I pulled down the settings shade.

Nope, I removed that button long ago (CM11). I just now double-checked and it's definitely on.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there a time lapse app that will let me upload photos and automatically stitch them together? Most of what I see seem to be self contained camera apps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

Go to system settings -> accounts -> Google and see if gmail syncing has an error. Otherwise, clear data for the gmail app.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I also use my phone for work, and I've added an Exchange account to the phone:

On iOS I used to be able to have set 'VIP' E-mails, so when the CEO e-mails me the phone makes a different noise. I also don't seem to be getting notifications for this other account (but I can swap back and forth in the Gmail app). Any idea how to fix these (especially having the phone play a sound when I receive an e-mail from a specific sender?)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Anyone know a good system logging app that might help me find a bad app? It spikes CPU in the background at odd times but it's the dex2oat compiler that gets stuck so the Android battery gauge has no clue what the culprit is. Failing that anyone know a nice app backup app so I can just start ripping poo poo out one at a time until it stops? Something that would let me get to uninstall/reinstall quickly from the same place I do the backups.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Every morning when I wake up I notice that the screen on my note3 is on which is preventing me from getting a full charge on my extended battery.

I think Lux might be the culprit but I can't find anything in the settings. I can't find anything in any of the system settings either. Any ideas?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I ported my number to Google Voice, and now when I get a text message, it shows up in Google Voice and my messaging app. The voice app is set to receive messages in the app, not the SMS app. Does anybody know how to stop the messages from also going to the SMS app? I'm pretty sure if I were to respond via the Messaging app, it would use my carrier number.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the app called Messaging, not Hangouts.

Don't use the Google Voice app, it's old, broken, and no longer supported.

You can use the Hangouts app with your GV number.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't use the Google Voice app, it's old, broken, and no longer supported.

You can use the Hangouts app with your GV number.

Is there any reason at all to install GV?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm not really sure where to ask this, but I guess it kind of fits in here.

I realized that I had a free trial to Play Music All Access since I own a chromecast, so about a month ago I decided to give that a shot. I like it a lot and wish I had hopped on back in the beginning with the 7.99 promo. Now, Youtube Music Key has launched and it has a similar promo. My trial with All Access won't end until mid-late January and it's supposed to start billing at 9.99.

Is there any way I could take advantage of the Music Key promo? I feel like maybe I could try to cancel my All Access subscription and then try to subscribe to Music Key but I don't know if that'll disqualify me from the promo.

It's just one of those questions that is difficult to google.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Is there any reason at all to install GV?

You still need installed if you want to dial out using the mobile network rather than data.

There's basically no reason to ever open the app once you have that set up, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: wrong thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Penguissimo posted:

You still need installed if you want to dial out using the mobile network rather than data.

There's basically no reason to ever open the app once you have that set up, though.

Oh right - I use my GV number as the number I give everyone so when I call people I use GV for all calls, which requires the app.

I could feasibly use the Hangouts dialer but they won't let users set a default dialer so returning calls would be a pain. Opening it though, yeah never.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Atoramos posted:

I also use my phone for work, and I've added an Exchange account to the phone:

On iOS I used to be able to have set 'VIP' E-mails, so when the CEO e-mails me the phone makes a different noise. I also don't seem to be getting notifications for this other account (but I can swap back and forth in the Gmail app). Any idea how to fix these (especially having the phone play a sound when I receive an e-mail from a specific sender?)

In Gmail you can apply a label to a sender, then give it its own notification settings.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I've asked this before and didn't really get a good answer but I'm still wondering if there's a way to make my phone continue to play the song I'm listening to despite filming using the camera. I'm using an LG G3. I've used a couple different camera apps and none of them do it. Snap chats camera works like this but I'm wondering if I can get a regular camera app that does it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Penguissimo posted:

Except for accessing archived voicemails which hangouts can't do.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I just checked and holy poo poo, you're right.

Well, kind of. The Android app can access them IF there are also texts from that person in the conversation. The Chrome app and extension can access anything.

Oh Google :allears:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

It's stupid, but you can start a new conversation with an old contact and then all the voicemails are there.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Go to system settings -> accounts -> Google and see if gmail syncing has an error. Otherwise, clear data for the gmail app.

Thanks, clearing data worked. I also uninstalled the updates and let it reinstall from the play store for shits and giggles and all seems to work now.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

effika posted:

In Gmail you can apply a label to a sender, then give it its own notification settings.

This only seems to work for Gmail accounts. Is there a way to get similar functionality with an Exchange account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I never get Google Now cards for going home or work now. I've updated my Google Now home and work locations to my address, but ever since I moved from north Florida to south Florida I don't get them for home, work, or places I've searched for.

The voice command for "navigate to work/home" does give the right locations though so they are setup.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

• Locked thread