Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
check the options/settings/control panel for an option to use beta reader and uncheck it. I'm not logged in so I cant check. The non-beta reader has its own issues, but you can zoom! (I think..)

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just baffled that it's not a smoother experience. The idea is fantastic and I just assumed that if they are charging 10 bucks a month, the service would be better.

It's really built for tablets, the PC version is poo poo. I remember it taking me a while to even find out if it was possible to just use a browser to read because its not mentioned anywhere.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

51 issues of Wolverine Origins for 39.99 today. A good price as far as bundles go. I've never read the series so I don't know if it's good.

https://www.comixology.com/Wolverine-Origins-ndash-The-Complete-Series/bundle/6

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

51 issues of Wolverine Origins for 39.99 today. A good price as far as bundles go. I've never read the series so I don't know if it's good.

it's not, sorry.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Syrinxx posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Wolverine-Origins-ndash-The-Complete-Series/bundle/6

Here is an easy test. Is it by Way and not Venom, then do not get.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy test. Is it by Way and not Venom Bullseye, then do not get.

Way's Venom is like his absolute rock bottom

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Way's Venom is like his absolute rock bottom

Damnit if I had to suffer so does everyone else!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy test. Is it by Way and not Venom, then do not get.
Um excuse me he wrote Deadpool #11 one of the finest literary accomplishments in human history similar to sir william shakespeare

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Um excuse me he wrote Deadpool #11 one of the finest literary accomplishments in human history similar to sir william shakespeare

That is not the issue when he goes back to the 80s Marvel Universe. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Pity he wrote 10 issues before and like 40 after.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there any way to browse what's available on Marvel Unlimited? I recently got addicted to the Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men podcast (meaning I listened to the first four episodes in a row today) and want to catch up on some titles they're recommending, like X-Men Season One or X-Men First Class or Children of the Atom. I'm guessing I'm going to want to read a bunch more series they talk about in the next 30 episodes, so I was thinking of trying out Marvel Unlimited as opposed to buying them via Comixology.

Is the Marvel Unlimited app basically the Comixology app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nooooo. They're very different. Marvel Unlimited is about six months behind current (which won't matter for your needs). I'm pretty sure you can download the app and browse without an account, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Endless Mike posted:

Nooooo. They're very different. Marvel Unlimited is about six months behind current (which won't matter for your needs). I'm pretty sure you can download the app and browse without an account, though.

Oh, sweet, I didn't think about just downloading the app. I just checked and two out of the three I was looking for are in there, so that's great. Tons of other X-stuff as well, so it should be worthwhile.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Season 1 OGNs aren't on Unlimited, and if they ever will be, it'll be a long time coming.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
If I can afford say, half of the Uncanny X-men they have on sale on Comixology today, which half should I get?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I managed to stop using the Beta viewer on Marvel Unlimited, but it's still giving me ridiculous amounts of trouble. Does it regularly just not load books, or if it loads them at all, only the first page or two? And then randomly crash and force you to load the book again, but now it can't find the page, but don't worry, their best guys are working on it?

It's seriously driving me crazy and I've spent longer loving around with their lovely web page than reading a single issue of anything on there.

Are my problems atypical or is there some secret method for letting a subscriber actually use their service? There's a ton of Marvel stuff I'd love to catch up on, but I feel like this isn't worth the aggravation.

Has anyone else had this much difficulty? I pictured it being like "Oh, Omega the Unknown sounds cool, I'm gonna read the first issue and see if I like it." And then I log in, search for Omega, skip past "Omega Flight", find the Gerber book, click on it, and I start reading it, the whole process taking less than a minute. Is that not the expectation I should have for Marvel Unlimited?

Sorry for all the bitching, this is just really frustrating me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm thinking of getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription, but I'm still on the fence about it. How good is the selection? Is it just all of their older comics with a 6 month or so embargo on the newer ones?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah mostly. There are missing things like licensed comics and the MAX line and the odd random issue, but you should be able to find what you need.

Don't bother if you're reading on the web instead of a tablet app. Their site viewer is horrible.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Cool, I've got a Nexus 7 that I hardly ever use so it'll be good to get some use out of it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Scott Pilgrim is on sale on comixology. I feel like I should read this to see what the fuss is about, but man, that art is totally not my thing. Looks like a web comic

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Look for Scott Pilgrim (Black and White). There's a free preview of the first chapter. Personally, it's sounds like something I would normally hate, but I read it anyway and it's really good.

And there are some gorgeous web comics out there...

Edit: checking to see if this link works...
Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life Preview: http://www.comixology.com/Scott-Pilgrim-Vol-1-Scott-Pilgrims-Precious-Little-Life-Preview/digital-comic/3191

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Man, comixology is additive, I spent 200 dollars today just browsing round the site.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I've put off reading Scott Pilgrim for years (for many reasons) in spite of loving the movie and game. Is it worth it for the color editions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes! Beyond being larger, the paper is much higher quality and coloring it in actually makes the characters look distinct.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Beyond being larger, the paper is much higher quality

This is the digital thread!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The digital paper is much higher quality!

But yeah, just being able to tell the characters apart better makes the color editions worth it, but keep in mind the last volume isn't out yet. There's also free previews of Vol. 1-3 on Comixology if you want to compare B&W Vol. 1 to the color version.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've only owned the first color edition in print and it felt like the definitive edition, so $5 a pop for digital versions was an instant buy for me and they look great on a screen.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks. Grabbed the first one to give it a shot.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I managed to stop using the Beta viewer on Marvel Unlimited, but it's still giving me ridiculous amounts of trouble. Does it regularly just not load books, or if it loads them at all, only the first page or two? And then randomly crash and force you to load the book again, but now it can't find the page, but don't worry, their best guys are working on it?

It's seriously driving me crazy and I've spent longer loving around with their lovely web page than reading a single issue of anything on there.

Are my problems atypical or is there some secret method for letting a subscriber actually use their service? There's a ton of Marvel stuff I'd love to catch up on, but I feel like this isn't worth the aggravation.

Has anyone else had this much difficulty? I pictured it being like "Oh, Omega the Unknown sounds cool, I'm gonna read the first issue and see if I like it." And then I log in, search for Omega, skip past "Omega Flight", find the Gerber book, click on it, and I start reading it, the whole process taking less than a minute. Is that not the expectation I should have for Marvel Unlimited?

Sorry for all the bitching, this is just really frustrating me.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm trying marvel unlimited this month (after not reading any marvel comics since I was a kid and even then never regularly) and it seems that even the search is pretty busted. I was trying to look up Ms. Marvel out of curiosity and neither that (or any variant spelling) or "Kamala Khan" came up with the new series.

I finally found it by searching '"Kamala Khan" marvel unlimited ' on google. As incredibly stupid as it is, that might be an easier way to find issues than marvel.com's own search (or even the apps search?).

Its still incredibly annoying to start reading a run and pick up later on the web anyways (I don't own a tablet)

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm trying marvel unlimited this month (after not reading any marvel comics since I was a kid and even then never regularly) and it seems that even the search is pretty busted. I was trying to look up Ms. Marvel out of curiosity and neither that (or any variant spelling) or "Kamala Khan" came up with the new series.

I finally found it by searching '"Kamala Khan" marvel unlimited ' on google. As incredibly stupid as it is, that might be an easier way to find issues than marvel.com's own search (or even the apps search?).

Its still incredibly annoying to start reading a run and pick up later on the web anyways (I don't own a tablet)

http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/datafr.htm

Ugly but fast (on a pc browser) - also note that it only links directly to the Flash viewer for marvel unlimited, but it's still a good index.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Future's End #0-3
Batman Beyond (2010)
Booster Gold (2007)
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. (2011)
Grifter (2011)
Hawkman (2002)
Savage Hawkman (2011)
Stormwatch (2011)
Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein (2005)
Grifter and Midnighter (2007)
Flashpoint: Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown (2011 pre-N52 series)

I can definitely recommend all of the Frankenstein stuff.

I'd like to hear opinions on Geoff Johns' Booster and Hawkman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

i'm a bit easier on Johns than some, but i really like both. i'd say take those two books and The Flash and you have the three best things he ever did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Giffen/DeMatteis Booster stuff after that was also really fun, in the ways you'd expect. There's a great Ted/Booster/Scott Free/Barda story in there.

Asnorban posted:

I've put off reading Scott Pilgrim for years (for many reasons) in spite of loving the movie and game. Is it worth it for the color editions?

Adding another voice to the chorus of 'YES!'. Setting aside the colouring being really good, the books let the story breathe in a way that Wright and co couldn't on screen. The ending that both the movie and books go with makes a LOT of sense in the books, but they should've stuck with the original idea in the film, I feel.

(Ending)The movie is entirely built around Scott and Knives being the 'right' pairing and Scott's obsession with Ramona as a distraction. Though the whole fight with the exes structure is also a terrible thing to have kept in the film, considering the exes are all about illustrating Ramona's neuroses, and the books have parallel poo poo with Kim, Kim and Scott's friend from high school who was clearly into him, Knives and Envy showing that Scott's just as messed up, except the film ditches most of it. As a result, them ending up together makes sense as two similar people making a choice to try and grow together. In the movie, not so much. The compressed time scale also hurts it, as does the girl playing Ramona's decision/direction to play the whole thing as totally 'above it all', while she has moments of dorkiness in the books. Basically, I'm amazed at how good the film turned out considering the script kinda fumbles the ball pretty hard, in my opinion. I still really like the movie, although I think the breathless pacing is a blessing and a curse.

TL;DR: :downswords: WAHHHH, it was better in the book!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why, but I signed up for a full priced month of MU even though my pat memory suggests that the app still sucks as of Spring...maybe it got better....:)

Also I generally use the ipad at home and my note on the go.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 10, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, Marvel Unlimited was a pretty great purchase. It's really nice reading comics on my tablet compared to my laptop.

How hard do they crack down on account sharing? I'm considering sharing my account with my friend who lets me use his HBO Go account if they're as lax as some other media streaming sites.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, Marvel Unlimited was a pretty great purchase. It's really nice reading comics on my tablet compared to my laptop.

How hard do they crack down on account sharing? I'm considering sharing my account with my friend who lets me use his HBO Go account if they're as lax as some other media streaming sites.

I assume the rule of thumb is doing ne logged on at the same time if in drastically different places. Usually one other person is fine since they might be a family member.

I also have to add that the Android app is light years better then it was before, even on a phone.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

His Booster Gold is great and it's much better if you read 52 first since it is a direct continuation of that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

gfanikf posted:

I also have to add that the Android app is light years better then it was before, even on a phone.

Yeah, after all my griping I've given up on using MU in a browser. The app on my Android phone is workable,at least, just not ideal.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uber by Kieron Gillen (art by Canaan White) bundle on sale. I like Gillen a lot (when he's working on projects he cares about). I dislike Avatar's art a lot. I'm mostly uninterested in Nazi/WWII stories unless they're amazing.

I figure this is one of those titles I can safely pass on, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has strong opinions one way or the other.

edit: Another voice for "I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim." I own all 6 volumes in black and white, paper editions, but bought all the color digitals on sale -- the coloring looks good, and I'll be looking forward to rereading them in that edition.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dynamite Bundle. Getting it solely for Bob's Burgers, though I may flip through a few more things.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's maddeningly clever that a lot of the stuff in the bundle is the next few issues from what was in their last one. Like, the last one had Legenderry #1-3, and this one has #4 and 5. And Mark Waid doing Green Hornet sounds like a good time.