Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also b/c lol i intentionally and illegally shifted to renting to ladystudents at lsu since they (their parents) pay on time and they don't wreck the place up and i was a nerdy as hell student too so i'd go outta my way to talk to them about fixing poo poo

I hosed up soooo many apartments while at LSU, lol renting to college students (and extra lol because its such a dude bro college)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

tiaa-cref's latest ad campaign is basically 'hey professor youre good at what you teach but for fucks sakes let us take care of your retirement planning'

i think its well done
tiaa-cref is what we got here don't make me worry about it because i don't want to think about how doomed i likely am when i retire

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
also they keep building "luxury" apartment buildings here for foreign students that're basically the exact same size/layout of all of the lovely apartments just with nicer furnishings and they're new for like $1200+ a month

just fyi this is in the middle of flyover country and I rent an actual not-methhovel house for like ~$600 or so a month

you could rent a new mcmansion or something actually pretty nice for that amount here but hey there's a big screen TV and new carpet in this like 700 square foot apartment and a postage-stamp sized parking spot in the basement garage the city commissioners forced the owner to install (he insisted he didn't need to have parking because "most of these kids walk to class")

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

also they keep building "luxury" apartment buildings here for foreign students that're basically the exact same size/layout of all of the lovely apartments just with nicer furnishings and they're new for like $1200+ a month

just fyi this is in the middle of flyover country and I rent an actual not-methhovel house for like ~$600 or so a month

you could rent a new mcmansion or something actually pretty nice for that amount here but hey there's a big screen TV and new carpet in this like 700 square foot apartment and a postage-stamp sized parking spot in the basement garage the city commissioners forced the owner to install (he insisted he didn't need to have parking because "most of these kids walk to class")

that's interesting because most of the international students here go for cheap housing and the luxury stuff is for dumb kids from dallas who got their f150 paid for by daddy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was a landlord for the family property in baton rouge i changed that poo poo out myself erry month (no a/c for 3ish days in the summer there is enough to start mildew growin)

this also afforded me the chance to speak to the tenants firsthand in order to address maint issues and work with them for delayed rent or swapping people around on the lease and generally trying to be helpful as hell b/c i'm inheriting that poo poo i can't be havin a hurricane create leaks that aren't found for a season or two of heavy southern louisiana rain or dumbass 20 year olds vengefully fuckin the place up

also b/c lol i intentionally and illegally shifted to renting to ladystudents at lsu since they (their parents) pay on time and they don't wreck the place up and i was a nerdy as hell student too so i'd go outta my way to talk to them about fixing poo poo

yeah renting to college kids is a terrible idea unless you make sure their parents are totally on the hook for everything that they do.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

same http://www.upperchesterliving.com

this is not what this area needs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

computer parts posted:

that's interesting because most of the international students here go for cheap housing and the luxury stuff is for dumb kids from dallas who got their f150 paid for by daddy
this is a major stem university; there's a fair amount of white trustfund babies but they're living in the frathouses typically

the majority of the big spenders here are Chinese students

The parking garages around the busiest libraries here look like an exotic car dealer's lot

I've noticed on campus:
at least 7 Maserati's
2 Nismo GTRs (~$170,000+)
5-6 non-Nismo GTRs (Black editions I think)
close to maybe 6-7 Audi R8s?
couple aston martins

p much all being driven by chinese students

also boss mustangs are apparently the car du jour of tiny chinese girls

graph posted:

This looks almost exactly like a building that just went up this year right on campus.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tiaa-cref is good, lol if u have the option to use tiaa-cref and don't

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
in my village we don't have uber. instead we get ripped off by taxi companies who sets their price arbitrarily because there are no laws regulating what a fair taxi price is. idk if its the same elsewhere though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

this is a major stem university; there's a fair amount of white trustfund babies but they're living in the frathouses typically

The parking garages around the busiest libraries here look like an exotic car dealer's lot

I've noticed on campus:
at least 7 Maserati's
couple aston martins

This looks almost exactly like a building that just went up this year right on campus.

yeah we're a major stem university too but i guess we get the cheap kids

(tbf i do have a malaysian friend that comes from money but she still lives in a cheapo dorm )

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Maximum Leader posted:

in my village we have problem

and that problem is transport

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

it seems like a pretty cool city where rents aren't as high and they don't have really hot summers and they're literally right next to a fjord

It's alright. Portland is much better but no jobs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

in my village we don't have uber. instead we get ripped off by taxi companies who sets their price arbitrarily because there are no laws regulating what a fair taxi price is. idk if its the same elsewhere though.

what are you some kind of communist or something? we don't regulate bottled water prices, ergo the free market works

no worries, uber sets their price arbitrarily too. even if there are laws regulating fair taxi prices (lol what), which they ignore because disruption

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

It's alright. Portland is much better but no jobs

Glad I was an outlier by getting a job in my field just after 2 months from moving there with just a few bags across the country. I knew a lot of people who weren't as lucky.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

what are you some kind of communist or something? we don't regulate bottled water prices, ergo the free market works

no worries, uber sets their price arbitrarily too. even if there are laws regulating fair taxi prices (lol what), which they ignore because disruption

the prices aren't arbitrary at all, they're set by a perfect algorithm that carries out the will of the invisible hand

all hail the algorithm

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

i now see the error of my ways, thank you mr. free market capitalism advocate.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Maximum Leader posted:

lol if you think uber will fix that. get some ordinances passed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sonatinas posted:

Glad I was an outlier by getting a job in my field just after 2 months from moving there with just a few bags across the country. I knew a lot of people who weren't as lucky.

what are rent prices like there, i might apply for some jobs there when i graduate next year

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

computer parts posted:

what are rent prices like there, i might apply for some jobs there when i graduate next year

I left in 2011 but I was living in SW Portland(Multnomah Village Area) with rents about 750-850 in one bedroom apt. It was an average apt. However, no central air in a lot of apts there. I was about 10 min from downtown by bus. East Portland is a bit pricier because of the gentrification.

Don't go out to Beaverton and the like unless you can walk to the MAX. It's suburban hell.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i heard a commercial for uber drivers on the radio this morning. they're guaranteeing $5000 in your first month.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

The Leck posted:

i heard a commercial for uber drivers on the radio this morning. they're guaranteeing $5000 in your first month.

in fines

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Leck posted:

does it include the words "own your own small business"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

graph posted:

the luxury apartments are pretty bullshit but as a plus they put a cap on what other landlords can charge for their shitheaps.

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the luxury apartments are pretty bullshit but as a plus they put a cap on what other landlords can charge for their shitheaps.

other landlords slap a coat of paint on their ramshackle tenements and install whatever new countertop Home Depot has on sale this week and charge exactly what the luxury people are charging.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

goodness that's real ugly.
looks like a place where you'd apply for a visa to visit a lovely country
all those nooks and crannies are prime spots for nestin and then you're going to get pigeon poo poo all over that rough exterior that the rain can't wash off. in a couple of years it will be the 'pigeon poo poo building' as in 'where did you get that coffee?' 'oh at the pigeon poo poo building cafe' 'gross'

'#1 in ohio diabetes and endocrinology'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
eh pigeons arent really a problem here like ive seen it in nyc

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my cousin had an apt in queens and the balcony was 6 inches of bird poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

tiaa-cref is good, lol if u have the option to use tiaa-cref and don't

if u can have a 403b and don't use it you loving deserve to be eating cat food when you're old

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

my cousin had an apt in queens and the balcony was 6 inches of bird poo poo

so that's where my posts have been going! lol

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I've noticed on campus:
at least 7 Maserati's
couple aston martins

same at oregon state except saudi arabia, and the UAE

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fleshweasel posted:

same but the arizona uni no one's heard of

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Shaggar posted:

yeah renting to college kids is a terrible idea unless you make sure their parents are totally on the hook for everything that they do.

the vast majority of college kids aren't going to pass the income check even if they can pay rent themselves without their parents so they pretty much are on the hook

my old landlord rented out some houses near me to a bunch of frat bros and i'm guessing he kept them around because their parents are loaded so the checks always come in on time

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a corollary to the "don't rent to college students" rule is "don't rent from people that rent to college students"

college student landlords pretty much plan on taking the full deposit every time because most college students don't bother to fight it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

we tried to fight it. the judge automatically sided with the landlord even though the landlord used the deposit to make improvements so he could sell the place which is illegal

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i just learned today that both the english word "curry" and the dutch word "kerrie" are derived from the indian word "kari", which means sauce.

now i get to be snooty to people who use it, before it was just ppl who say "oh i made salsa"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fleshweasel posted:

my buddy who did geology at lsu had this dude in his cohort who from craaaazy wealth in the uae

he drove a neon green charger and when they would go out drinkin this dude would straightup ignore women who addressed him first or asked him questions

ofc he enjoyed telling the dumbass american women all about how he was gonna go back and manage oilfields and have like a dozen wives

reportedly he still got laid p often b/c money

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
fukken vapid cunts amirite

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

i just learned today that both the english word "curry" and the dutch word "kerrie" are derived from the indian word "kari", which means sauce.

now i get to be snooty to people who use it, before it was just ppl who say "oh i made salsa"

when someone talks about picante sauce, ask them if it is very picante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

we tried to fight it. the judge automatically sided with the landlord even though the landlord used the deposit to make improvements so he could sell the place which is illegal

I'm pretty sure my current landlord is going to try and pull the same thing so when I moved in I took a billion photos and a few video walkthroughs.

taking it to court is always a bit of a spin of the roulette wheel because some judges are assholes. on the other hand you might get a judge like Tori got who rips the landlord a new one.

• Locked thread