Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

poetrywhore posted:

Taiwan health care rules. Went in with a sore throat, in less than an hour and never leaving the exam room a tumor had been diagnosed and removed. Plus medicine for NT$340. Finding out next week if it was benign (probably, doc says).

Yeah, they can do anything straightforward relatively OK. But they don't have any respect for their own privacy laws, private clinics occasionally have issues with dirty needles, there's a ridiculous over prescription of antibiotics which rivals the issues in the US, they have TB epidemic which is basically getting less and less controlled and they have a lot of medicine shortages (right now its STD treatments and glaucoma medications). Any sort of top tier or better treatment will cost you an arm and a leg just like home too (for instance non-surgical cancer interventions or basically any kind of chemotherapy that isn't extremely basic and primitive).
Oh, and the doctors won't discuss better treatment options for you or suggest you go to a private hospital. They'll just give you the least expensive treatment and never discuss other options with you even in cases of life and death. You have to push, push, push to get anything out of them.

Sources? Local doctors and nurses, I'm friends with quite a few. Their basic advice to me has always been: never trust the local medical staff, double check everything.

So yeah. Just loving awesome.
Until you're dead!
Oops!

Which now reminds me of my favorite story, of how the newly elected mayor of Taipei transplanted a bunch of HIV positive organs into HIV negative patients because the nurse heard the wrong thing on the telephone and they don't have any protocols for double-checking a drat thing in their medical system.
Yay!

Barto fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

Ah I see, so it was really shot in a Taiwan hospital huh

The lobby scene was anyway.
But that's the lovely little hospital behind National Taiwan University. I wouldn't go there for all the love and money in Taipei. Not unless I was already HIV/Ebola positive anyway. lol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mean it took the doctors 3 times before they realized I had cracked a vertebrae, and couldn't figure out why I was breaking into hives after giving me a pennicillin variant, so

The only good experiences I had have with taiwanese medicine has actually been dentists.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Can anyone give me a decent online shopping website?

I'm looking to see how much the following Brother printers would cost:
HL-2250DN
HL-2275DW - these have occasionally been on sale for $100
HL-L2360DW - new model, maybe not available
HL-L2340DW - new model, maybe not available

I have a 2240DN which I paid too much money for here in Korea (160,000KRW/140USD) and likely cannot resell and get my money back. So I'm thinking about shipping it to Taiwan (7kg) since I'll likely be printing a lot, just like I did for my Korean studies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm going to be out for a few weeks in February. I'll be staying with a (awesome) friend most of the time, but will have to head back to Taipei the night before I leave (or earlier maybe) for a mid morning return flight. (departs at 11am, would prefer to be at airport by 8:30/9am)

Any recommendations on where to stay for the night or few? Preferably with an easy way to the airport that won't be too hard on the wallet.

I did find one at/near the airport, Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport and their rates are reasonable ($115USD for the night) and the have a shuttle and reasonably well reviewed, but am open for suggestions.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 9, 2014

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I'm going to be out for a few weeks in February. I'll be staying with a (awesome) friend most of the time, but will have to head back to Taipei the night before I leave (or earlier maybe) for a mid morning return flight. (departs at 11, would prefer to be at airport by 8:30/9)

Any recommendations on where to stay for the night or few? Preferably with an easy way to the airport that won't be too hard on the wallet.

I did find one at/near the airport, Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport and their rates are reasonable ($115USD for the night) and the have a shuttle and reasonably well reviewed, but am open for suggestions.

Remember to pee on the airport terminal floor. It's traditional.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I'm going to be out for a few weeks in February. I'll be staying with a (awesome) friend most of the time, but will have to head back to Taipei the night before I leave (or earlier maybe) for a mid morning return flight. (departs at 11am, would prefer to be at airport by 8:30/9am)

Just sleep in the airport terminal, I give it 4/5 stars.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Anywhere in Taipei? The bus only takes like an hour

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I saw a brochure at the local post office for a 2015 Year of the Goat 1oz. silver proof. Anyone know anything about these, like how much they cost/how many times the proof is struck, etc.? I'm thinking if it's reasonably priced, maybe picking up one for myself, and maybe one or two for gifts.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
My understanding is that those things tend to sell out somewhat quickly and they've been on sale since October, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I know that Taiwan != Hong Kong, but does anyone know/recommend a place to get a tailored suit or two while there?

Google/Reddit had a couple suggestions:

1) a place named by a thread.
or
2) Just go wander around and find a shop while in town.

Based on the other stuff i'm reading it'd be a month or so to get it so i'd likely have it shipped back to the US.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Apologies if I'm just completely being stupid, it's early, but are you talking about getting a suit in Taiwan or in Hong Kong?

If you're talking about Taiwan, I've definitely done #2. The weird thing about Taiwan is how shops that sell the same thing tend to congregate together, but it's pretty awesome when you're doing some comparison shopping. I just strolled into a few random suit shops, found a guy with a decent price, got measured, picked my fabrics, etc., and that was it. I only had to wait 10 working days. Results were pretty awesome especially when you consider the drat price.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

toplitzin posted:

I know that Taiwan != Hong Kong, but does anyone know/recommend a place to get a tailored suit or two while there?

Google/Reddit had a couple suggestions:

1) a place named by a thread.
or
2) Just go wander around and find a shop while in town.

Based on the other stuff i'm reading it'd be a month or so to get it so i'd likely have it shipped back to the US.

There's kind of a popular row of tailors up in the combat zone (near Minsheng W. Rd Station), but the best tailor i've been to is Gentle Handleman in the basement of the Howard Hotel near Sogo Zhongxiao Fuxing (just go south one block). Pretty much all of the tailors are expensive in Taiwan when it comes to suits. If you are getting a bunch of suits made, it's worth it to just travel to HK or Thailand for the weekend.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Also if you meant Hong Kong, try the China thread, I think the HKers congregate there.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It's kind of expensive but the best place is Lih Shang by Sun Yet San Memorial Hall. I just picked up my second shirt from them today, it was 3200 NTD or 100 USD. The prices are by fabric for a single shirt. So, not Thailand or HK prices. The older guys just speak Chinese but the younger guy speaks some English and if you just show up and point at a fabric they'll make you a nice shirt. They know what they're doing. They measured the slope of my shoulders, which doesn't usually happen at cheaper places, so their shirts come out much better, if you care about how you look. They also have more experience with western bodies than most other places.

Right now the turn around time for a shirt is two weeks.

Suits start at 500 or 600 USD. The quality however is phenomenal. Dude made suits for the old president of Taiwan.

There is a fabric market at Yong Le and tons of mens tailors on small roads around there. Might be a good place to check out but I haven't tried any of them and I don't think too many of them would speak English.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Those shirts better be amazing for that kind of price. Last place I got shirts at that would've bought four of them, though they are basically just average shirts.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 16, 2014

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

They are amazing for that price. I've got my fill of $10 tailored shirts from Hoi An, and since I've got no trips back to SEA planned anytime soon, I got them made here. The fabrics and stitching and fit are all superior.

Also, it's really nice to visit a real tailor, a shop without people out front going "mister, suit mister you buy!" Not that that happens in Taiwan, but still.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
A random question, hope someone knows the answer:

A publisher wants to publish a book I've written (in Taiwan), and they also want me to do publicity events for it.
However, my ARC is for English teaching.
What can I do to do this legally?
Anyone know?

Barto fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I recommend Jonie Cherie at the big hotel near shandao temple.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

A publisher wants to publish a book I've written (in Taiwan), and they also want me to do publicity events for it.
Anyone know?
As far as the publication part goes, it could depend on how you get paid - a one-off payment for the book could qualify as contract work the same way translation does, but on-going payments like royalties or something I'm not sure about. The publicity events thing I'm even less sure on. The only people I know or know people who know that've had books published are here on APRCs, which would simplify things significantly.

lol well that answered absolutely nothing didn't it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stop leaving all your windows open on the all day on the coldest day of the year Taiwan gently caress

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Stop leaving all your windows open on the all day on the coldest day of the year Taiwan gently caress
While the a/c is on no less!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

While the a/c is on no less!

THIS

I CAME TO POST THIS

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hitension posted:

Also if you meant Hong Kong, try the China thread, I think the HKers congregate there.

Yeah but you see how many Taiwan flags are being flown? Moving to Taiwan is like American hippies wanting to leave for Canada

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

GoutPatrol posted:

Yes, this. My boss just wandered into my classroom earlier to open all the windows and wandered out. Is this just Taiwanese muscle memory or something?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Haha, I thought I was the only one. Boss came into the class twice throughout the day, first to turn on the AC, then to lower it because there was condensation on the windows which I guess is a really really bad thing, it's more important to be cold and have no condensation. Or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah but you see how many Taiwan flags are being flown? Moving to Taiwan is like American hippies wanting to leave for Canada
Better healthcare, cheaper cost of living, nicer people... yeah, more or less.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Korea they did the same thing, but it came out of rudimentary ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Maybe this is the same thing?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

This.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Barto posted:

Anyone know?

Is the publisher based in Taiwan and paying you in Taiwan? A common way around for this sort of thing is if they pay out not in Taiwan. A bank transfer to a bank in your home country usually works fine. I'm not sure how specific the ARC is, but most foreign work permits only relate to you earning money within that country. There may be tax issues present here I'm not totally aware of and you should probably get real legal advice, but at least for some other countries and expat working situations this is a legal workaround.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I thought the work permit with an ARC was as restrictive as the government wants it to be (if you're on someone's bad side). I.E. People getting "busted" for attending protests against the government, which clearly isn't a moneymaking activity, because it's not their "purpose of residency" within the country.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

caberham posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

This.

Haha I was the one who invented this comparison to begin with and I will use it until the day I die

51st state 34th province 4lyfe

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

hitension posted:

Haha I was the one who invented this comparison to begin with and I will use it until the day I die

51st state 34th province 4lyfe
I invented the internet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
First up, Falun Gong news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uto3ztV8WJs

Then Apple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8CaCAWe_AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzJZZH9MUY

Now sensationalist TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr5LtW3eSgU

A bit old but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcd4Dh15x48

Yeah, it's really really bad. Especially the part about accepting bills. There were lots of fake Bank of China 1000 bills. That's it, nothing more

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Magna Kaser and TetsuoTW, thanks for the ideas
Yeah, the publisher was thinking of paying me outside of Taiwan, but the final situation is giving my cram school a cut of the royalties.
Which...(if it works), isn't that much more than the 20% tax of shipping the money out of country, so hopefully it'll work out.
I have to say, Taiwan is assbackwards about this kind of thing though. There's not even any easy way to figure out what you can do or not. We asked a lawyer and the labor bureau and got two totally different answers. The lawyer was like..wow, a lot of problems here. And the labor people were like, "Do whatever you want. meh."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

And the labor people were like, "Do whatever you want. meh."
They usually are, right until it actually matters. The one and only time I've overstayed was because the CLA didn't understand the tax code and tried to gently caress me out of a work permit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
TheRamblingSoul, where did you end up? Haven't heard from you in a month. I'm just curious if I may have met you at the 1 month training this week and not known it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Barto posted:

Magna Kaser and TetsuoTW, thanks for the ideas
Yeah, the publisher was thinking of paying me outside of Taiwan, but the final situation is giving my cram school a cut of the royalties.
Which...(if it works), isn't that much more than the 20% tax of shipping the money out of country, so hopefully it'll work out.
I have to say, Taiwan is assbackwards about this kind of thing though. There's not even any easy way to figure out what you can do or not. We asked a lawyer and the labor bureau and got two totally different answers. The lawyer was like..wow, a lot of problems here. And the labor people were like, "Do whatever you want. meh."

Taiwan charges you 20% to get money out of the country?? That's kinda crazy high. I'd never be able to pay my student loans with a 20% markup...

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Magna Kaser posted:

Taiwan charges you 20% to get money out of the country?? That's kinda crazy high. I'd never be able to pay my student loans with a 20% markup...

It's not 20% for normal people moving reasonable amounts of money within their own accounts, that must be a tax trying to discourage creative offshore accounting or something. I transferred all my TWD savings from Megabank to Chase upon leaving (maybe 7-10k USD?) and it was completely untaxed, I just paid the bank's modest wire fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

It's not 20% for normal people moving reasonable amounts of money within their own accounts, that must be a tax trying to discourage creative offshore accounting or something. I transferred all my TWD savings from Megabank to Chase upon leaving (maybe 7-10k USD?) and it was completely untaxed, I just paid the bank's modest wire fee.

Yeah, that's right. Because the business still has to report the payment being made to "someone," if the "someone" is outside of the country then they get flapjacked with a 20% tariff.
Fuckers.

But I just paid off my student loans this summer, transferred about 12,000 USD out and only paid 15 USD for the privilege, so that's a different situation. (haha, I was transferring my student loans to Chase too)