Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
How are you guys getting voicemail at all through hangouts? I use google voice for voicemail only and have never been able to figure out how to use it without the GV app. Am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the nicker posted:

How are you guys getting voicemail at all through hangouts? I use google voice for voicemail only and have never been able to figure out how to use it without the GV app. Am I missing something obvious?

I don't think it works for voicemail-only GV. At least it's never worked for my wife's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the nicker posted:

If you install the GV app it should set up your phone to route voicemail to GV, which then transcribes it (hilariously poorly due to call quality) and puts it in your hangouts inbox with the audio attached.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Thanks I think I figured it out. I have to go into Dialer's settings and tell it I'm using GV (dunno why it didnt do this when i set up GV)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think it works for voicemail-only GV. At least it's never worked for my wife's.

No, it does. I only use GV for voice mail and it drops the voice mail in to the hangout conversation stream (which I hate).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Based on suggestions from a few pages back, I switched to using Google Voice for voicemail on my phone (Note 3 on Verizon). This included dialing the three codes to forward calls to google voicemail.

However, I now get two rings when someone calls my mobile number (not my google voice number). Hangouts will ring in addition to/on top of the samsung phone app, and I can't answer either one, though the Hangouts settings seems to only have a checkbox for "ring for calls to my google voice number."

Any ideas? Google's documentation on all of this is terrible. I'm willing to just go back to regular VM even I could even figure out how; I really need to be able to answer phone calls.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

No, it does. I only use GV for voice mail and it drops the voice mail in to the hangout conversation stream (which I hate).

This is why I'm still using the app. I really do not want VMs just randomly laced into a texting thread. You can't even filter the VMs out as far as I can tell.

Quite frankly I apparently have limited visual voicemail for free on my Verizon account now and I'm really considering dropping Voice and just using the Verizon thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Require More Fire posted:

Quite frankly I apparently have limited visual voicemail for free on my Verizon account now and I'm really considering dropping Voice and just using the Verizon thing.

I've actually been contemplating the same thing. Google voice has just been too hit or miss over the years and it is getting more convoluted as time goes on rather than less.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

bull3964 posted:

I've actually been contemplating the same thing. Google voice has just been too hit or miss over the years and it is getting more convoluted as time goes on rather than less.

I should really ditch it too. Sometimes it takes a long time for me to get the vm notification, if it all. Does anyone know if at&t's "visual voicemail" works on android without needing their app? I don't even care about getting the texts, as long as i can play/delete them from the call log.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the nicker posted:

I should really ditch it too. Sometimes it takes a long time for me to get the vm notification, if it all. Does anyone know if at&t's "visual voicemail" works on android without needing their app? I don't even care about getting the texts, as long as i can play/delete them from the call log.

This is a good question.

One of the reasons I haven't switched from GV because the AT&T visual voicemail app sucks as do all AT&T apps and I expect zero updates on their poo poo. Not that GV is necessarily better on that front, but it does have more features like web access.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just got a BlackBerry Z10 at work. I like the keyboard's "flick" style of choosing suggested words. I don't suppose any Android keyboards have such a feature?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The hell is going on there

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

The keyboard version of that shiba inu doge meme.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

This is a good question.

One of the reasons I haven't switched from GV because the AT&T visual voicemail app sucks as do all AT&T apps and I expect zero updates on their poo poo. Not that GV is necessarily better on that front, but it does have more features like web access.
Now is a weird time to switch from GV since it nearly works as well as a real number.

Here's my list of remaining issues, all of which are minor.
  • No group MMS
  • Hangouts dialer can't be set as default
  • If you are not in a data service area you have to turn on forwarding in Google Voice to get calls
  • If you have forwarding turned on and have data service your phone rings twice (you can still answer)
Group MMS coming soon and I'd imagine the other three will be fixed some time in the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

Now is a weird time to switch from GV since it nearly works as well as a real number.

Moot since my GV number will never be my real number. I'm not about to port my number to GV and I'm not about to tell everyone they need to change my phone number. It works fine as an extra number that I use to fill out loyalty cards or surveys, but it's never going to be my primary number.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

effika posted:

I just got a BlackBerry Z10 at work. I like the keyboard's "flick" style of choosing suggested words. I don't suppose any Android keyboards have such a feature?

Fleksy lets you swipe down to scroll through suggestions

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

baka kaba posted:

To select the word displayed above a key, the user flicks/swipes up from that key. I'd swipe up from "s" for "Press" in the photo above.

Traxis posted:

Fleksy lets you swipe down to scroll through suggestions

Oh goodness, Fleksy. That might be convenient enough for me to get used to it, though. Thanks!

effika fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 9, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

effika posted:

To select the word displayed above a key, the user flicks/swipes up from that key. I'd swipe up from "s" for "Press"in the photo above.

Ohhh ok. I don't really use the extra suggestions popup but it does sound a bit better than that at least

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Moot since my GV number will never be my real number.
My post was for people who already use it as their primary number, hence "switch from."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Here's my list of remaining issues, all of which are minor.
  • No group MMS
  • Hangouts dialer can't be set as default
  • If you are not in a data service area you have to turn on forwarding in Google Voice to get calls
  • If you have forwarding turned on and have data service your phone rings twice (you can still answer)
Group MMS coming soon and I'd imagine the other three will be fixed some time in the future.

Oh, I won't be switching. I've used GV as my primary and only number since it was GrandCentral.

I have unlimited minutes on AT&T so I give no flying fucks about the Hangouts dialer.

I guess the phone ringing twice is only a thing if you don't have forwarding turned on in the GV app? I never don't have that on.

However, there is an annoying problem where a certain subset of local calls just will not go through without getting a message from Google telling me that the call is going to cost me 2 cents a minute. I had a long thread on the GVoice forum about it and never came to a resolution. Of course it's impossible to get any actual support from anyone who actually works at Google...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It used to ring twice for me until I turned off ringing in hangouts.

Therm do you have all calls using google voice enabled? Can't say that's ever happened to be but I have every call route through google voice.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

LastInLine posted:

Is there something wrong with Google Music?

It does streaming and local, is free, has a radio subscription option, looks good, and works everywhere. Moving stuff to the device is as simple as tapping the pin and removing it is just as easy. I think it can even use the SD card.

Well, the biggest issue I'm having with it right now is that it asked me if I wanted to import music from iTunes, and I said yes. It's been "processing music files" for 2 days, and I still don't have any files in my library or anything else. So as of yet, it's not really working for me. Granted, it could be entirely my own fault, but I'm not sure what I could've done.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are you using the music manager or the website? Use the website if you aren't. If you are, not sure sorry.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

kri kri posted:

Are you using the music manager or the website? Use the website if you aren't. If you are, not sure sorry.

Using the website. I DO have around 90GB(jesus christ!) of music, so I understand it will take a while, but when I just dragged and dropped a group of albums, only a couple of them got added. I can't find any way to stop the iTunes scan, so I'll give it a bit longer and see what happens.

Also, stupid question, does Google Music just store stuff in the cloud when it adds music?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

It used to ring twice for me until I turned off ringing in hangouts.

Therm do you have all calls using google voice enabled? Can't say that's ever happened to be but I have every call route through google voice.

Yeah, I have that enabled.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I was saying that I've never had the double ringing thing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You get the double ringing if you have GV set to ring Hangouts and have forwarding turned on. If you answer it through the normal dialer it uses minutes, if you answer it through Hangouts it uses data. If you're on the T-Mobile 100 minute plan it's an important distinction. You just have to remember to enable normal forwarding ahead of time if you're going to be somewhere without data. If you have unlimited minutes there's no reason to make Hangouts ring.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

You get the double ringing if you have GV set to ring Hangouts and have forwarding turned on.

What do you mean by this? GV rings hangouts on my PC and I don't get double ringing on my phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

There's a setting in Hangouts that says "Ring Hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google Voice number." If you have that turned on, you can answer calls on your phone through the Hangouts dialer. If you have forwarding to your carrier number enabled in Google Voice it will also ring the normal dialer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

There's a setting in Hangouts that says "Ring Hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google Voice number." If you have that turned on, you can answer calls on your phone through the Hangouts dialer. If you have forwarding to your carrier number enabled in Google Voice it will also ring the normal dialer.

Ahh, I see which setting you're talking about now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Well, the biggest issue I'm having with it right now is that it asked me if I wanted to import music from iTunes, and I said yes. It's been "processing music files" for 2 days, and I still don't have any files in my library or anything else. So as of yet, it's not really working for me. Granted, it could be entirely my own fault, but I'm not sure what I could've done.
It takes forever to upload everything but surely it offers a progress bar?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

It takes forever to upload everything but surely it offers a progress bar?

There is no progress bar during the "processing music" part of an upload.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

10 Beers posted:

Also, stupid question, does Google Music just store stuff in the cloud when it adds music?

It does some matching, you'll sometimes get different artwork and tags or the song will be different - I had some that played at a slightly faster speed (I could tell because I was playing guitar along with it and suddenly a song on the album was out of tune) so I had to hit some 'bad match' button and reupload it

It's not fast but it shouldn't take two days to scan. Let's blame iTunes since it's dire! What if you point the uploader at the library folder yourself?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So Google music..
I've been using Pandora paid subscription for a few years now, and decided I'd try Google's offering. Mostly because of YouTube.

Anyone else make the switch feel like the radio isn't as good? Will it get better as I up/down vote? I've tried radio based on genres (default ones) and from artists. It just reminds me of Spotify, which was the same problem.

Should I stick with it and vote more frequent? Also, does it keep track of my stations like Pandora?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

deong posted:

So Google music..
I've been using Pandora paid subscription for a few years now, and decided I'd try Google's offering. Mostly because of YouTube.

Anyone else make the switch feel like the radio isn't as good? Will it get better as I up/down vote? I've tried radio based on genres (default ones) and from artists. It just reminds me of Spotify, which was the same problem.

Should I stick with it and vote more frequent? Also, does it keep track of my stations like Pandora?

Is Pandora really the best you've tried? I find that it tends to get into a rut very easily. From any given album, it will just play the most popular song, even if other songs on the album are similar, but if that song has a live version (or six), or a slightly-different remaster, it will go through all of them--sometimes consecutively.

I'm liking Google Play Music better in that regard, but I haven't been using it very long.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

They do their radio in completely different ways. For some people, Pandora radio is best. I do not like Pandora radio at all.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

deong posted:

So Google music..

Personally, Pandora is the worst I've ever used, I like Rdio the most, followed by Google Play Music.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Play Music, I have a problem where half of my uploaded tracks get added the All Access versions of albums so the tracks double up. Fixing the tags to match Google's doesn't only fail to prevent this, it appears to be the cause.

I can't find any reference to this happening to other people and I'd really like to fix it without having to tag all my music inaccurately.

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Using the website. I DO have around 90GB(jesus christ!) of music, so I understand it will take a while, but when I just dragged and dropped a group of albums, only a couple of them got added. I can't find any way to stop the iTunes scan, so I'll give it a bit longer and see what happens.

For the record, I posted in this thread with a similar problem a while ago and no one really had an answer. It's gotten worse, at this point when I add music it simply goes from "processing music" to "all done!" without actually uploading anything at all. I can't upload any of my music. When I called Google, they had to transfer me several times and ultimately said that they'd call me back with someone who would know what to do. That was a month ago and no one ever called me.
The only solution I can think of is wiping my library, which I've done before to fix similar uploading issues. I'd really rather not lose my playlists though...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There is no progress bar during the "processing music" part of an upload.
On OS X when I did it a long time ago it said "xxxx of yyyy uploaded" right in the status bar the whole time along with the option to pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The problem with the radio stations on these streaming services is that if you choose an artist radio, it takes anywhere from 10 to 10000 songs played before you hear a single song from that artist.

• Locked thread