Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

A stable update isn't going to magically make this mess good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just want to be a bird with a rifle and shoot monsters and I guess stranded prisoners. Please C.fish deliver a bird game for us to play, and let us have bullets for our guns.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ColHannibal posted:

Well this model they have adopted is bad and they won't even hear constructive criticisms on it.

When the game first came out Tiy said he wanted the game to be almost a platform and modders to run wild.

But nobody will make mods currently as there is fear that their work will break with new nightly builds, and things have changed so drastically there is no use making stuff for the stable build.

Isn't the problem there, though, that it's a game in active development, regardless of whether Chucklefish is releasing the nightlies or not?

I think a lot of people don't realize that although, at a glance, the game has looked like "hey looks pretty much done" for a few years, that's just because the graphics & presentation were slick, and it wasn't even close to being anywhere near the case. Even basic elements like the interface implementation weren't completed until, like, last month or something.

That early "beta" thing they released looked really cool, but it seems like it was little more than a tech demo. They had final-pass graphics on the screen and you could move a sprite around and place blocks and poo poo, but many of the game's major systems were nothing more than total placeholders.

That's not really a game that's ready for a modding community, regardless of the update model.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 9, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Reiley posted:

I just want to be a bird with a rifle and shoot monsters and I guess stranded prisoners. Please C.fish deliver a bird game for us to play, and let us have bullets for our guns.

Some great fun ideas being thrown around, folks, but remember to include some balance penalties to keep the fun fresh. How about "can only use gun for 5 minutes until Starbound.exe closes and has to recharge."

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
This thread is complete poo poo, but yeah the whole nightly build hasn't really helped Chucklefish at all. The fact that in all this time they never bothered to stop and consolidate what they'd done so far and then post it as a stable/unstable update speaks pretty poorly of their entire process. At this point are they just fixing bugs by hoping that the next thing they change will miraculously fix the last bug they made? I can't help but imagine that when they finally put out a version that people will play and test for extended periods of time that the entire game will just fall apart into pieces. It all sounds like a big mod team where not a single person on the team has an off switch, constantly adding and changing things without stopping and thinking "will this make the game more fun?" "Is this bloat where I'm just adding this because I can?" or "We've already put out several versions of the game so why are we so determined to not let anyone play(for long) without everything perfect?".

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

mutata posted:

I think you're thinking of a different pixel pirate game, actually. Pixel Piracy maybe?

Just checked. Yup I was. My bad!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I think the hardest part about modding will be the fact that the community is more or less dead

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

I think the hardest part about modding will be the fact that the community is more or less dead

Before one can mod a game,
there needs to be a game to mod.

- Obi Wan Kenobi (2012)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Obi Wan: You will find that Starbound is a game... from a certain point of view

Luke: gently caress you I want my money back

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mitt Romney posted:

Can you customize your space ship yet?
I think maybe you can make it bigger but you're not allowed and will not be allowed to actually make a custom one in the base game because Tiy thinks that many player's ships would look bad

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So I can remove the walls from the spaceship right now, are you saying that will be gone or that I just can't change the rigid structure of the ship itself ?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

So I can remove the walls from the spaceship right now, are you saying that will be gone or that I just can't change the rigid structure of the ship itself ?

The latter. Your ship will also expand in a pre-determined format and you can rip out the walls and all that, you just can't create a new ship structure de novo in game.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 9, 2014

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I think maybe you can make it bigger but you're not allowed and will not be allowed to actually make a custom one in the base game because Tiy thinks that many player's ships would look bad

GOTY

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there are a lot of things I have exaggerated in here but seriously that's loving incredibly terrible how can you make space lego-block game and not let players build their own spaceships

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that and the non-existent enemy variety are the current worst things in this game, as well as the least likely to change

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Free-building spaceships is a loving no brainer. If you want to make it look nice give us a loving spaceship tileset to build with, boom, done. Otherwise who loving cares if we're piloting a weird blocky sandcastle through space, I'd rather be able to do that.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ahundredbux posted:

If you build a loving stable update, they will come.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness, the stable update has to not be poo poo too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Free-building spaceships is a loving no brainer. If you want to make it look nice give us a loving spaceship tileset to build with, boom, done. Otherwise who loving cares if we're piloting a weird blocky sandcastle through space, I'd rather be able to do that.

I would prefer free build spaceships provided there was a decent looking tileset for it, and that there was some kind of gameplay behind it where you have to actually design the ship properly for it to work right, putting engines and power and stuff on it.

Otherwise I'd sooner have predefined spaceships that there's some sort of gameplay built around getting access to them.

Having some kind of limit on what you can fly between planets is important to keep planetary buildings worthwhile.

An infinitely large flying space base would basically invalidate a lot of the rest of the game, I guess is my point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gently caress no, let me build whatever I want. if I want an enormous dick made of sand flying through space what authority can tell me no

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

gently caress no, let me build whatever I want. if I want an enormous dick made of sand flying through space what authority can tell me no

The american dream :911:.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

there are a lot of things I have exaggerated in here but seriously that's loving incredibly terrible how can you make space lego-block game and not let players build their own spaceships

Yeah but what if it looks bad? If you make a bad-looking spaceship, and say, invite a friend over and show him the game, and he sees your ugly spaceship he might end up thinking "whoa, this game seems like poo poo!" and you'd be making the Starbound team look bad. Why don't you think for a moment before asking stuff like this, geez.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Have parts limits per story-progression-tier, obviously. Start one limited to 3 Hull pieces, one Cabin, one Engine, one Power-Thing. Each tier, bump up the counts a few until the ship is either unlimited or Too Big.

Or, lock the sandbox-game spaceship to exactly one design per tier that's cool too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like how on earth does the "many players would not build good looking stuff" logic not apply to buildings built on planets too? apparently it doesn't matter if those look like poo poo(because it doesn't matter if player creations look like poo poo period, the only person bothered when something looks like poo poo is the person who made it and becoming better at building cool things what look genuinely good is possibly the only truly skill-based thing in sandbox games in the first place)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Blackheart posted:

Obi Wan: You will find that Starbound is a game... from a certain point of view

Luke: gently caress you I want my money back

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't think 'not looking nice' is even the main reason, it's probably another PR-masterstroke from great community managed chucklefish

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Well, player made spaceships are really easy to mod in. Really easy. Like, you can play online with other chucklefuckers who don't have the mod, and they'll be able to play around in your space pig/biodome/whatever no problem.

If you make player ships craftable by default, then if some dude doesn't want to make his own ship he's kinda hosed. They could spend the time to incorporate player made ships into the game but why bother if it's such a simple mod with no compatibility issues?

And yeah, a lot of the games features were basically tacked on. Anyone who has ever dug into poo poo like the loot tables can see how. I personally would rather they just keep working until most of the main features are finalized then try to push out stable builds every once and a while.

Here's some poo poo you can't currently do in stable that you can do in nightlies IIRC:

Merge loot tables from different mods. This makes rebalacing loot or adding new items in circulation a bitch, since it can only come from one mod

Same thing but with new liquids

Make alternate fire modes for randomly generated weapons. This would let you do poo poo like randomly end up with an underbarrel grenade launcher on an assault rifle or something.

Any sort of GUI mod

Tie monster parts with abilities and stats

Tie biomes with monster pallets

Attach .lua scripts to items

Starbound seemed to have a pretty robust .lua api but I'm not well versed in the matter. It seems like you can manipulate the game to do whatever you want. All I care about is whether or not they get the game right as a platform. If they gently caress up what you can and can't mod in it would be really disappointing.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I don't even know who is working on the dev team at this point (and won't bother to find out, that would be putting in more effort than the dev team seems to be doing) but I assume that nightlies are due to older devs burning out on the game and switching to new stuff while new devs get dumped in and flail around randomly. Even a year ago it seemed there was no real "project management" or "roadmap" going on so I am not surprised. The whole early access thing was less about community-driven development and more just a cash grab. And it worked, good for chucklefish, even idiots win the lottery.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Party Alarm posted:

Well, player made spaceships are really easy to mod in.
It should still be in the base game and how easy it is to mod in just highlights how weird that it's not like that without mods, in a sandbox building game

Party Alarm posted:

If you make player ships craftable by default, then if some dude doesn't want to make his own ship he's kinda hosed.
No he isn't. Why would he be? He can just roll with the default starter ship if he really doesn't give a poo poo.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I actually really like this game, at least conceptually, and I hope for it to do well and become a robust platform for modders to dink around with.
But 8 months between updates can make a person sick of anything, and it's fun to post angry things on the internet.
Norn, if you're still reading this dead gay thread, tell your windowlicker boss to get it the gently caress in gear.

in summation

Arkitektbmw posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mods, please change to

Starbound: lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Tiyuri posted:

Thank you for staying sane for me guys. I feel like I should do most of my posting here.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Everyone sane and supportive got bored waiting for an actual update and forgot about Starbound. Only the trolls care now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Slime posted:

Everyone sane and supportive got bored waiting for an actual update and forgot about Starbound. Only the trolls care now.

Boy, do they ever.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I don't think anyone cares, personally.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I look forward to many more months of "I'm not care, you're care"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

At least the trolls are still talking about starbound instead of just talking about the trolls

e: oh poo poo wait

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Should I buy Simcity 2013?

E: sorry wrong thread

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm actually a highly balanced and mentally well person so I care so little about Starbound that my conscious mind literally doesn't even know about it at all, I only post in this thread in dream fugue states and have no memory of this thread or the game when I make my return from the spiritual world. Everyone else posting in this thread, however, heavily cares and is also insanely mad all the time about this game and this thread, which I do not care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Tiyuri posted:

Thank you for staying sane for me guys. I feel like I should do most of my posting here.

An actual post in this thread. (He really hasn't posted since)

• Locked thread