Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I mostly care because it's bizarrely interesting to figure out what exactly makes people's switch flip from "anime, hiss"

Cognitive dissonance, coming out of the anime closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mostly care because it's bizarrely interesting to figure out what exactly makes people's switch flip from "anime, hiss" to "I want to play that." There isn't much meaningfully different about Xenoblade but for some reason it worked for people while other stuff didn't and it makes me curious why. I don't even mean "it worked in comparison to Final Fantasy" because that's easy to understand but just in general.

It probably helps that the characters aren't piss-annoying or particularly stupid.

(I like anime)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I actively seek out anime games to play because sometimes they are fun RPGs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i dont play anything but anime games

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Post your favorite anime games, RPG thread.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone should play noted anime roguelike Zettai Hero Project.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Everyone should play noted anime roguelike Zettai Hero Project.

This but unironically.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I only play Visual Novels the most Anime of games!! Except for the one with British VAs they don't count.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This but unironically.

I wasn't even being ironic in the first place, game owns. I am an unabashed player of anime RPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I wasn't even being ironic in the first place, game owns. I am an unabashed player of anime RPGs.

Game owns no matter what. Shame about the sorta-sequel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

Grandia 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

The inuyasha RPGs for DS were actually okay

the naruto ones too, now that i think about it

wasn't there a 3DS one piece RPG released a while back? how's that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

The inuyasha RPGs for DS were actually okay

the naruto ones too, now that i think about it

wasn't there a 3DS one piece RPG released a while back? how's that

It was a pile of poo poo. I'm not a big OP fan myself but a friend of mine is, bought it from Gamestop (since it was exclusive) and hated almost every minute of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Xenoblade was poo poo so who cares if it's "anime"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Xenoblade

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's funny because Monolith Soft made a DBZ RPG on the DS.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Yeah, the whole Xenoblade is not a anime meme is puzzling.

DDS 1 and 2, anime as hell but still awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm getting flashbacks of people not admitting FF6 wasn't anime, despite literally the 1st time Terra uses magic cutscene.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I think what people find the most frustrating about anime is that it tends to have characters that are incapable of having a conversation that doesn't constantly remind you of some wacky anime trait or some moe archetype. Xenoblade obviously has cliched characters in it, but they don't constantly shove that down your throat. The characters have actual conversations with each other. I think the Xeno games in general are fairly good at avoiding conversations that boil down to "you sure are moe", or "lol once again this guy has a crippling lack of a sense of direction", or things like that. It's part of why I enjoy these incredibly anime games so much.

E: Xenosaga was pretty bad at avoiding "My purpose is to be mysterious" conversations though.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 9, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm pretty sure using the term 'anime' as an adjective is meant as a pejorative, not a descriptor. For example, if the game contains 1000-year old demons in a 9-year-old's body, swords that are larger than a person (light beams don't count :colbert:), mecha gundams that shoot hundreds of missiles, protagonists that have yet to reach puberty saving the world (bonus if they're oversexualized), and/or clothing and boobs that defy all known knowledge about gravity and physics (as well as style), then the game is anime. See: Star Ocean 4, Hyperdimension Neptunia, et al.

If the game has a visual style similar to japanese animation, then it is not 'anime'. It is an anime-styled game.

That's always been my metric, anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

mom it's not an anime, it's an anime styled game, god

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

You best start believing in anime threads. You're in one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

or, you know, it's all just anime and seeing a bad episode of naruto once doesnt mean you know everything there is to know about an entire form of japanese pop culture that's been going on for over half a century

something can be bad because it's bad and not because it's anime, and something can be good because it's good and not because it's not anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure using the term 'anime' as an adjective is meant as a pejorative, not a descriptor. For example, if the game contains 1000-year old demons in a 9-year-old's body, swords that are larger than a person (light beams don't count :colbert:), mecha gundams that shoot hundreds of missiles, protagonists that have yet to reach puberty saving the world (bonus if they're oversexualized), and/or clothing and boobs that defy all known knowledge about gravity and physics (as well as style), then the game is anime. See: Star Ocean 4, Hyperdimension Neptunia, et al.

... Well, most of those apply to Xenoblade so I guess that settles that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
NOT ANIME its a japanese RPG duh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this anime because i dont like it

this isn't anime because i like it

qualities of 'anime': me not liking it

qualities of poo poo That Rules And Definitely Isn't Anime, uncle Greg: me liking it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know nothing about Xenoblade outside of Smash Bros does it have a prepubescent girl in a stripper outfit?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it does not, one of the game's many flaws

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I know nothing about Xenoblade outside of Smash Bros does it have a prepubescent girl in a stripper outfit?

not prepubscent but its still lol

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure using the term 'anime' as an adjective is meant as a pejorative, not a descriptor.

It's meant as a pejorative but what it actually is is completely meaningless at this point.

Play bad RPGs and/or anime RPGs.

Speaking of which should I start with Natural Doctrine or Sword Art Online? I am an enormous sperg for working out fiddly systems, so I'm pretty sure I'll like Natty Doc, but I'm about to move and lose access to a desktop PC for a while so having some nice long handheld games would be nice.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The underaged part is the most important though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

No but it has a young girl who looks like a teenager but is actually 100+ years old who considers kissing the protagonist while he's unconscious and can end up in outfits that look like this:

Stelas posted:

Speaking of which should I start with Natural Doctrine or Sword Art Online? I am an enormous sperg for working out fiddly systems, so I'm pretty sure I'll like Natty Doc, but I'm about to move and lose access to a desktop PC for a while so having some nice long handheld games would be nice.

ND isn't long. You can finish it in like 12 hours.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Stelas posted:

It's meant as a pejorative but what it actually is is completely meaningless at this point.

Play bad RPGs and/or anime RPGs.

play sao because it's the most anime

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cake Attack posted:

lol

mom it's not an anime, it's an anime styled game, god

gently caress it. Play whatever you want. Don't play games, they're all poo poo.

ImpAtom posted:

... Well, most of those apply to Xenoblade so I guess that settles that.

I was not aware of this character, so, welp.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

ND isn't long. You can finish it in like 12 hours.

Ugh, really? I figured it'd be a little longer than that, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Ugh, really? I figured it'd be a little longer than that, at least.

Yeah, it's pretty obviously designed around the idea that you'll play a lot of the multiplayer. There just isn't much to it beyond a relatively short main story and the side missions.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
don't forget that the childhood love interest can be put in a swimsuit for battle gear in the first hour

and she shows up like that in every flash back for the rest of the game its pretty funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

don't forget that the childhood love interest can be put in a swimsuit for battle gear in the first hour

and she shows up like that in every flash back for the rest of the game its awesome
and that fanservicey as hell official art of said swimsuit exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Gonna finish Shadow of Mordor and Stick of Truth soon. What next? Dragon Age or Divinity Original Sin?