Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I know the email management conversation was a couple pages ago but what the poo poo is this?!

Client has only been on the network for a few hours. Going to take a guess that Mac Mail is a good application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RadicalR posted:

Then you should've said "nope" and left. Perhaps spend some more time with your partner?

Even if there isn't a current emergency, if the building caught fire or whatnot, people would have trouble getting out. That's why if the power goes out and it's not coming back on any time soon, we evaluate the building.

I'll have you know, my beer cellar is well behaved enough to be left alone all day while I'm at work.

And for the record! This is what I see when I stand up from my cube and look right:

So guys! Relax! I'm not going to die in a fire!!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sirotan posted:

I'll have you know, my beer cellar is well behaved enough to be left alone all day while I'm at work.

And for the record! This is what I see when I stand up from my cube and look right:

We are so used to Goon in a Well stories here that Goon in a Fire seems like a natural progression.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A ticket didn't come in...

I do 1 week in 5 on call - I work in a prison so I can't have the mobile during the day

Still got a call at 10:30am - the calls have to be placed by the duty manager who in theory should realise all IT staff across our prisons are currently inside the prisons and won't be answering the out of hours on call number... That would also include the IT staff the work at your prison (but I can't call you out because you realised before it said leave a message :()

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tomapot posted:

We are so used to Goon in a Well stories here that Goon in a Fire seems like a natural progression.

Look here bucko! Stop, drop and roll can wait. Network/servers/storage cannot.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RadicalR posted:

Then you should've said "nope" and left. Perhaps spend some more time with your partner?

Even if there isn't a current emergency, if the building caught fire or whatnot, people would have trouble getting out. That's why if the power goes out and it's not coming back on any time soon, we evaluate the building.

Building is unsatisfactory, see me after class.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Look here bucko! Stop, drop and roll can wait. Network/servers/storage cannot.

I was in a fire once. It took me two years, but eventually I built a machine that put the fire out using fans from the server room and leftover coffee. Trust me, don't pour kerosene everywhere so that the fire will be distracted, it's a bad idea!

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 9, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

tomapot posted:

Sirotan posted:

Why am I suddenly reminded of

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Just make sure you call the appropriate people if a fire does break out: 0118 999 88199 9119 725.......3

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Why am I suddenly reminded of

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

(Pretty sure I got this from one of these threads)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

This is what I imagined the sys admin, that went ballistic on the servers for O'Hare Airport, looked like.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MF_James posted:

This is what I imagined the sys admin, that went ballistic on the servers for O'Hare Airport, looked like.

I thought it was just what Tuesday is like.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Subject: Fire.

Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing to inform you of a fire that has broken out on the premises of 123 Cavendon Road...

no, that's too formal.

Fire!! Fire! Help me! 123 Cavendon Road. Looking forward to hearing from you. Yours truly, Maurice Moss.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

This looks like some sort of IT version of Five Nights at Freddy's.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want a reverse fnaf where you run from cubicle to cubicle trying to catch people torrenting on the guest wifi.

then you stuff them into a server cabinet

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's from "Person of Interest"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Date: 9/12/2014
User: jsmith
Department: Sales
Contact Number:
Time Available:
Severity: HIGH

Subject: somethin wrong with air conditoner?

Description: the air smells really bad here and there is a bunch of yellow and orange light and it seems to be getting really hot janice said the paint and peels off the wall and there is some black stuff in the air it reminds me of a camp fire also youtubes seems to be kinda slow did you change something it seemed to work better last week before someone messed with my computer OW IT BURNS THIS IS EFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

go3 posted:

Date: 9/12/2014
User: jsmith
Department: Sales
Contact Number:
Time Available:
Severity: HIGH

Subject: somethin wrong with air conditoner?

Description: the air smells really bad here and there is a bunch of yellow and orange light and it seems to be getting really hot janice said the paint and peels off the wall and there is some black stuff in the air it reminds me of a camp fire also youtubes seems to be kinda slow did you change something it seemed to work better last week before someone messed with my computer OW IT BURNS THIS IS EFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!!!

I would be tempted to write that off as 'User Error' because either the apocalypse is happening or they are tripping balls.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
An E-Mail came in!

Forwarded from my supervisor, from our manager, from the wifi admin, from the field services manager, from the field services supervisor, from a field services tech.

The original request said "see attached", and OF COURSE nothing was attached by the time it got to me, so it got to do a full cycle up and down the chain to get me that attachment.

I know poo poo rolls downhill and I'm at the bottom of the hill, but I spent more time laughing at the ridiculous chain and the stupid line of headers than I spent responding. I briefly considered it forwarding it to one of the temps to take care of but I decided I actually wanted it to get done right. To be fair to my supervisor, he was originally going to handle it, but he saw what was happening and happens to be a complete smartass.

(The request was out of scope.)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"How do I print my favorites?"

This request violates the very nature of digital content and hurts my soul.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
A ticket came in: Reseating a dimm on a server, again...

Me: This will be the fifth time I reseat a dimm on that server. Any idea why this is happening?

Random indian guy: I am suspecting the board, but the server is not in warranty

Me: So I will just have to reseat those dimms from now on a couple of times a week?

Random indian guy: I guess so...

:smith:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

moosepoop posted:

Me: This will be the fifth time I reseat a dimm on that server. Any idea why this is happening?

Me: So I will just have to reseat those dimms from now on a couple of times a week?

How about replace the dimm? Or don't use that slot on the server?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

evobatman posted:

How about replace the dimm? Or don't use that slot on the server?

Because it is a new slot for every time. The mb most likely needs to be replaced but no warranty so gently caress me I guess.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is there a Nintendo cartridge you can blow in and reinsert too?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Volmarias posted:

Oh, that would be a fun ticket to get :v:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
A ticket came in!

"Hi! We moved a device to 6104 as our office is moving in two weeks, but the paint fumes in that room are unbearable. We noticed that the device's document feeder isn't functioning properly and the convenience stapler isn't working. We're leaving it plugged into its new data ports, but can we get this serviced as soon as possible?"

No.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oyster posted:

A ticket came in!

"Hi! We moved a device to 6104 as our office is moving in two weeks, but the paint fumes in that room are unbearable. We noticed that the device's document feeder isn't functioning properly and the convenience stapler isn't working. We're leaving it plugged into its new data ports, but can we get this serviced as soon as possible?"

No.
Yes. Soon as possible = my earliest convienience

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

moosepoop posted:

Put something heavy (not too heavy) on to of them to keep them from unseating.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oyster posted:

A ticket came in!

Tenbux says they moved it in before the room was painted and it's now full of paint splatters.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:phoneb: IT, this is Sirotan.
:argh: Hi this is Bob with Ricoh just calling about the printer. Yeah you were using the wrong toner in that printer, which is why you are having problems. I told the staff to not use it so they won't destroy all the new parts I just installed in it.
:phoneb: But it was working at its other location for years just fine with that toner??
:argh: Well you're going to need to get replacement toner. I didn't have any. Let me look up the product number for you, what was the model number on that printer?
:phoneb: 3500
:argh: 3500? Not 3035? Well let me look into this and call you back.

~an hour passes~

:shobon: Yeah I put in the wrong developer, printer is working now.

Thanks for always blaming me first, assholes. Even having printers with service contracts that I never have to touch or fix myself is a goddamn nightmare. Printers suck. gently caress printers.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sirotan posted:

:phoneb: IT, this is Sirotan.
:argh: Hi this is Bob with Ricoh just calling about the printer. Yeah you were using the wrong toner in that printer, which is why you are having problems. I told the staff to not use it so they won't destroy all the new parts I just installed in it.
:phoneb: But it was working at its other location for years just fine with that toner??
:argh: Well you're going to need to get replacement toner. I didn't have any. Let me look up the product number for you, what was the model number on that printer?
:phoneb: 3500
:argh: 3500? Not 3035? Well let me look into this and call you back.

~an hour passes~

:shobon: Yeah I put in the wrong developer, printer is working now.

Thanks for always blaming me first, assholes. Even having printers with service contracts that I never have to touch or fix myself is a goddamn nightmare. Printers suck. gently caress printers.

More like printer techs are lazy no good assholes. I like the company we use but sometimes we get a tech that shouldn't be allowed to clean the toilets.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Someone tell me how stupid I am for being stuck on this issue.

I'm working on a Precision T7600 that recently stopped booting at a reasonable rate of speed (it was taking as long as 10 minutes and sometimes failing entirely).

It's got four hard drive bays - 0, 1, 2 and 3. It has two SSDs and a single 2TB HDD (that are all working fine if brought up as data drives on another PC). I've determined that if the OS drive is plugged into bay 0, with nothing else plugged in, it boots fine. Additionally, if any other the other two drives (or a separate, known-good drive) are plugged into bay 2, it boots fine.

However, if anything is plugged into bay 1 or bay 3, it fails to boot. Takes forever to get through POST and BIOS, and usually locks up in the Windows boot screen after ~10 minutes.

Sounds like a bad disk controller to me... Dell ProSupport agreed, and they came out and replaced the motherboard, but the problem's the same.

I looked up this computer and it says it comes standard with a PCIe RAID controller (I almost felt really really dumb for missing that) but I looked and I swear these drives just plug directly into the motherboard. They weren't set up in a RAID array or anything.

I sorta wish I had a structured escalation procedure. :/

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Trastion posted:

More like printer techs are lazy no good assholes. I like the company we use but sometimes we get a tech that shouldn't be allowed to clean the toilets.

Yep, this is me. Instead of going into a freshly painted and not well enough ventilated room to fix a document feeder that isn't even in use right now, I queued up behind the rest of the hospital staff to get a free Christmas prime rib lunch. Totally worth it.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Volmarias posted:

I have actually said this to an NOA IT Rep for a failed hard drive.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I'd try to be pretty lazy too if I had to fix printers all day.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
People seem extra crazy today.

First I got a call from someone demanding I lodge an official complaint to Microsoft over a minor issue: One hyperlink in a .doc he made in office 2007 wouldn't work in office 13 compatibility view, but was perfectly fine once he "converted" it to a 2013 .doc.

Then someone called asking me to cancel I.T. maintenance in a room so they could hold a seminar in it, and freaked out on me when I wouldn't.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sirotan posted:

I got in a Xerox engineer to replace some parts last week, we were totally on the same level as I explained exactly what needed to be done but how I had to sit through rounds of calls for the tech support phoneline who sent me wrong parts to replace. We were both humored and horrified that the previous service log stated;

"Blah blah 2nd BTR Assembly blah blah damaged belt blah blah Temporary Fix"
Gee thanks for nothing rear end in a top hat.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Super Slash posted:

I got in a Xerox engineer to replace some parts last week, we were totally on the same level as I explained exactly what needed to be done but how I had to sit through rounds of calls for the tech support phoneline who sent me wrong parts to replace. We were both humored and horrified that the previous service log stated;

"Blah blah 2nd BTR Assembly blah blah damaged belt blah blah Temporary Fix"
Gee thanks for nothing rear end in a top hat.

This is absolutely a problem. I'm contracted to a specific hospital network and every time I hear complaints about the tech support phoneline (which is often) I show them my hospital badge and tell them to just tell the helpdesk to page me. It's usually a 3 minute fix, there's no reason why nurses who deal in patient care need to sit on the phone for 20 minutes as the helpdesk misunderstands the problem.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

KS posted:

No tickets came in...

because my new employer doesn't have a ticketing system :stonk:

I'd love to get some recommendations for a small shop. We'd be starting with 5 agents. There's no infrastructure here, so it probably needs to be a cloud solution. Ideally I'd get ITIL-style incident/problem/change/asset management out of one tool, but that seems to really narrow down the field.

I came from a Service Now shop and would love to get Service Now Express in the door, but they have a $10k/year minimum, or 17 agents at $50/user/month. Ouch. I've also found FreshService, but so far they aren't answering their phones.

Anyone have recommendations for me, or experiences with FreshService to share? Budget's probably $5k/year at most, unless the added features justify the cost.

Just to drag this back up, we use Freshdesk, and it has a completely free option (up to 3 agents I think?) that we ran on for about 3 months internally before rolling it out to the company, and then a month more before deciding "I'd like some more reporting features" and upgraded to the basic paid package. No reason whatsoever why you couldn't just roll with the free, number of agents notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is a big thread and my google is failing me: Can you fine posters post your best IT closet room with equipment hanging from the ceiling and similar pictures?

• Locked thread