Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

So the job centre's a lost cause, that's pretty obvious. What else is there? How the hell are we supposed to get into work these days?
Just borrow 20 grand from your parents and start up a business. :mitt:

e: 1920 - Britain and France ratify the border between French Syria and Mandatory Palestine, which would not prove problematic in the future.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
.......f-full Communism.......... Right now??

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

So the job centre's a lost cause, that's pretty obvious. What else is there? How the hell are we supposed to get into work these days?

Apply for jobs at recruitment consultants.

Not even kidding.

Dress sharp and be prepared to put up with some BS, but it's fairly simple. Any fucker can do it and they're always hiring.

Sales jobs are a mixed bag. I've had a few. The worst was actually the best, if that makes sense. It was the highest attrition, worst environment, nasty toxic corporate culture, but loving hell the commission was insane. it was B2B.

I would never consider B2C consumer sales, but if you can bullshit, B2B events / sponsorships is a fun game and they're always hiring.

The one good thing about sales jobs, with some sales experience, you'll always be able to get a job.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Dabir posted:

Most likely answer: we're not, gently caress us.

No, you're not. A major motivation with how the job centres are run ever since Thatcherism is to encourage people to get self-employed and use borrowed money (if they aren't rich already) to fund their entrepreneurship, which holds up the banks and big business and makes British-run companies more numerous. The job centres are just punishment for the unemployed, the stick to the carrot of entrepreneurship. It kind of works if you disregard the problems caused by poverty, scarcity of low-end skilled employment and the resulting lack of workers' leverage within a workplace. Easy to dismiss if you're far away from the ghettos where those things matter, though.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Dabir posted:

Most likely answer: we're not, gently caress us.

Why not try these incredibly useful suggestions from Totaljobs.com:

1. Air traffic controller
2. Games tester
3. Firefighter
4. Police detective (loving money quote on this one: With little or no qualifications, you could be solving serious crimes, from murder to fraud.)
5. Holiday rep

http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/unemployment-advice/top-5-jobs-for-school-leavers

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Why not try these incredibly useful suggestions from Totaljobs.com:

1. Air traffic controller
2. Games tester
3. Firefighter
4. Police detective (loving money quote on this one: With little or no qualifications, you could be solving serious crimes, from murder to fraud.)
5. Holiday rep

http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/unemployment-advice/top-5-jobs-for-school-leavers

Can you provide a list of five genuinely useful suggestions?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

Totaljobs.com:

Oh my god

quote:

Careers advice > What job can I do? > Food jobs

[...]

Restaurant owner

Love to go out for dinner but can never find what you want? Then just open your own restaurant.

This is a parody site, right?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

Can you provide a list of five genuinely useful suggestions?

1. Nepotism
2. Internet fraud
3. Discover you're actually a member of the Royal Family, or at least pretend to be at parties
4. Anarchist co-op
5. Some sort of street crime

Serious answer: No because it depends entirely on where you live, how far you can travel, what you can do and total random chance, abstract suggestions beyond that are pointless.

Edit: Actually nepotism is a serious and useful suggestion. It's just appalling that it is required.

namesake fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I once didn't have a job. But now I have a few jobs.
Look at how your friends are making money and consider a similar path. Ask them for their help and advice.
Networking is key these days it seems.
That's what I did and it's nice.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

KKKlean Energy posted:

Oh my god

This is a parody site, right?

Spooky Hyena posted:

No, you're not. A major motivation with how the job centres are run ever since Thatcherism is to encourage people to get self-employed and use borrowed money (if they aren't rich already) to fund their entrepreneurship, which holds up the banks and big business and makes British-run companies more numerous. The job centres are just punishment for the unemployed, the stick to the carrot of entrepreneurship. It kind of works if you disregard the problems caused by poverty, scarcity of low-end skilled employment and the resulting lack of workers' leverage within a workplace. Easy to dismiss if you're far away from the ghettos where those things matter, though.

wheeeeeeee

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Honestly the best place for lower pay work is temp agencies, especially if they have tests that you can ace.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
On recruiters:

I recently quit and am searching for a new job. Recruiters are definitely my best friend. A recruiter got me my last job (which was fantastic; my reason for quitting is complicated) and recruiters have got me some interviews for some very well-paid jobs. The competition is tough though, even though I've had nothing but glowing feedback from interviews, I've been narrowly beaten by other candidates (i.e. my jobs are literally being stolen by immigrants, no doubt)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Full fascism right now

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Full anything

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Things we may have missed over the past few days: Labour's new Transport Secretary wants to end the "war on motorists".

I seriously want to know what world he's living on when he says that there are too many trainspotters in Transport. The past five years of train spending have basically been an effort to get trains up to the standard they should've been in the early 90s.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

Full anything

Have some patience. Full Feudalism is in the works.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

Have some patience. Full Feudalism is in the works.

I'm gonna be a man-at-arms

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Because there was paedo-talk earlier today...

I got a frantic email from my supply agency this morning, apparently there are new rules for working with children, and I thought I'd post them up in case anyone else is in a "Position of trust" post or one requiring DBS/CRB checks for working with children and/or young people (it doesn't, as far as I'm aware include vulnerable adults).

There is a new condition on your clearance to work with children/young people called "Disqualification by Association" for which you are required to answer further questions before being allowed to work in schools etc, and schools have suddenly found that unless they have got this information they will suffer the wrath of Ofsted (and so will refuse to engage for supply work any agency staff who haven't satisfactorily answered the questions).

The questions are:

1. Have your children ever been taken into care?

2. Have or are your children subject of a child protection order?

3. Has a court order been made in respect of a child under your care?

4. Have you ever been refused registration or had registration cancelled in relation to childcare or a children's home or have you been disqualified from private fostering?

5. To the best of your knowledge, is anyone in your household* disqualified from working with children under the Regulations?
*household - includes family, lodgers, house-sharers, household employees.

If you answer "yes" to any of those questions, it looks like you need special dispensation from Ofsted, and good luck getting that.

Question 5 looks to be the serious one (everything else is about you and the risk you pose, this one could mean losing your livelihood for something someone else has done) because convictions or cautions for sexual or violent offences against adults or children are automatic disqualifications and there may be other offences which carry bans too.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 9, 2014

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm now finding myself desperately applying for lovely data entry jobs because I had a bit of experience of that before uni. They pay abysmally and from memory are soul crushing, but I'm up for anything that gets me out of the JobCentre. I have a loving master's degree.

In what?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

KKKlean Energy posted:

On recruiters:

I recently quit and am searching for a new job. Recruiters are definitely my best friend. A recruiter got me my last job (which was fantastic; my reason for quitting is complicated) and recruiters have got me some interviews for some very well-paid jobs. The competition is tough though, even though I've had nothing but glowing feedback from interviews, I've been narrowly beaten by other candidates (i.e. my jobs are literally being stolen by immigrants, no doubt)

Perhaps but professional recruitment is also an ideological tool designed to commodify workers into replaceable and generic parts found and placed by professional 'buyers' rather than being best suited to the workplace in question and also are sucking public institutions like schools and hospitals dry.

Oberleutnant posted:

Full fascism right now

With an av like that no wonder you're a baddy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In terms of nagged-into-workchat, I'm right there with you all. Even though I'm officially my disabled mother's carer, and am claiming the benefits I'm entitled to from that, I get a weekly lecture about my father (who has been in the same public-sector job his entire life, and that he wouldn't even have if my mother hadn't nagged him into attending the interview) that "There are jobs out there, you just have to get off your arse and get them."

I know, this is basically a blogpost, but it's just reassuring that there are others having the same issues.

By this point, I'd be better off just heading 20 miles up the road and living in the Faslane Peace Camp.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Phoon posted:

I'm gonna be a man-at-arms

Until that arrow in the knee.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

Perhaps but professional recruitment is also an ideological tool designed to commodify workers into replaceable and generic parts found and placed by professional 'buyers' rather than being best suited to the workplace in question and also are sucking public institutions like schools and hospitals dry.

Oh I didn't say it was good for society, I'm just saying it worked for me.

... is what I would say if I had sold my soul to capitalism, which I totally haven't done. Nope.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

That's a bit ridiculous. admittedly I have worked in this field before, but only in the private sector.

A lot of businesses don't have the time / resources to find professionals. generally speaking recruiters only get paid on results, in the UK it's a hyper-competitive sector with downward pressure on rates.

I've used temp agencies in the past, I've used recruitment agencies and they can be really helpful. Someone who has a relationship with HR can get you an interview where otherwise you might not. Likewise getting a heads up about the work environment, what they're actually looking for and the hiring manager from a recruiter can be really helpful.

I've give plenty of resume and interview advice to people.

To properly phone screen someone takes a good 20 minutes, if you're a manager who has to hire someone, you don't want to go through the dozens (or hundreds) of advert responses, screening people. Your time is money, you just want good resumes in front of you.

At the temporary worker level the workers are more generic parts, but that's kinda what happens when you work as part of a literal production line.

However education / health / public sector generally should not be paying fees for things they can do internally.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Oh I didn't say it was good for society, I'm just saying it worked for me.

The quote I mentally append every time some entrepreneur gives a lecture about how to be fiscally responsible.

Invest in real estate! Offshore your finances! Don't pay your taxes, claim all the benefits!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

I once didn't have a job. But now I have a few jobs.
Look at how your friends are making money and consider a similar path. Ask them for their help and advice.
Networking is key these days it seems.
That's what I did and it's nice.

My friends aren't. They're still in university. I dropped out early before anyone else could realise I'd failed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Carrier posted:

In what?

...civil engineering?

lol no history I'm hosed

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThomasPaine posted:

...civil engineering?

lol no history I'm hosed

Before you got your masters in history what career did you want?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Left work at 5:30 tonight, have a 25mi train journey. Will be luckey to get home before 8pm.

Nationalise this poo poo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JFairfax posted:

Before you got your masters in history what career did you want?

I had grand plans of going on to do a PhD, and would still love to, but funding doesn't come easy.

'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it' really is the motto of a fool (i.e. younger me)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oberleutnant posted:

Left work at 5:30 tonight, have a 25mi train journey. Will be luckey to get home before 8pm.

No but you see Labour want to end THE WAR ON THE MOTORIST, the biggest scandal in transport policy.

:smithicide:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I had grand plans of going on to do a PhD, and would still love to, but funding doesn't come easy.

'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it' really is the motto of a fool (i.e. younger me)

My frjend i see a bright future ahead of you in teaching.
Enjoy long hours, low pay, and probably getting spat on by pupils/their parents. But you'll me moulding the disposessed proletariat of tomorrow!!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

JFairfax posted:

To properly phone screen someone takes a good 20 minutes, if you're a manager who has to hire someone, you don't want to go through the dozens (or hundreds) of advert responses, screening people. Your time is money, you just want good resumes in front of you.

Yes that is time consuming, but you should presume that the time spent doing that is microscopic in comparison to the time that the good person that you find will actually spend doing their job which is much better overall. I understand internal HR departments because they will meet the rest of the workers on a regular basis and have a much better idea of what will fit into the company than producing a specification and asking someone else in a completely different company (with an equivalent level of knowledge if you're lucky but absolutely with their attention diverted between many different companies) to match something to this list. It's a process that inherently increases the amount of qualifications and other (often useless) signals that job applicants needs to have to get anywhere while distancing the employment and production process away from its human elements.

Someone I know describes it as playing a football manager sim game but with peoples lives. That's why he enjoys it but drat you should not be working like that.

quote:

At the temporary worker level the workers are more generic parts, but that's kinda what happens when you work as part of a literal production line.

Marxism smash neo-Taylorism RARGH.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Would you believe that googling "recruitment consultant" literally only gives me results about careers in recruitment consulting? This is the most unhelpful Google's ever been. Anyone got any links?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dabir posted:

Would you believe that googling "recruitment consultant" literally only gives me results about careers in recruitment consulting? This is the most unhelpful Google's ever been. Anyone got any links?

Did you try 'recruitment consultant jobs'?

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/recruitment-consultancy/recruitment-consultant

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KKKlean Energy posted:

On recruiters:

Its quite strange to read this, but when I was looking for work frankly the recruitment agencies were loving worthless. Any progress I made was when I was applying directly with the employer, and this has held true with every instance I have had to look for a new job. In the space of two years I have gone from losing my part time retail job to redundancy, to desperately looking for work, to joining a company near the bottom of the ladder and aggressively advancing to make up for lost time, and am in such a ludicrously stronger position in terms of money, experience and prospects than I could have dreamed of back in 2012. At no point during any of that where the various recruitment agencies I signed up with the slightest of help.

Oberleutnant posted:

I say this in ignorance of where you work and the routes would have to take, but is driving no an option?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Data entry gave me PTSD. At the very least it made me totally unable to postpone gratification. It's so boring you will never tolerate boredom ever again. Ie you turn into an impatient prick.

Do not doubt the damage a bad job will do to your soul. Not that we have much choice.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

If you're a university drop out with not much experience I would walk into a high street recruiter / temp agency.

Its what I did when I dropped out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's exactly what I don't want, though! I want the recruitment consultants to help me, I don't want to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dabir posted:

That's exactly what I don't want, though! I want the recruitment consultants to help me, I don't want to be one.

Oh sorry, misinterpreted what you meant. People who have worked those jobs will know better but it's not exactly the sort of thing you can directly introduce yourself to and suddenly get all their insider knowledge and help. If you apply for a job they'll be sorting through your CV and if you do a lot of short term contract work or are in a position to hire someone then you'll get to know those who work in your area or deal with your company a bit more but it's not usually something you can request.

Otherwise you're just getting the standard customer service approach.

• Locked thread