Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A Festive Winterval from our Overlords.

Thankfully, we have yet to be over-run by the EU hordes seeking to steal our (German stolen) British traditions of christmas trees, tinsel and overdone brussel sprouts.

Expect the papers to begin the traditional "War on Christmas", and "Halal Turkeys!" nonsense.

---
Xmas card from our previous reptialian overlord - A smile for the ages.

---

How to cope with this government Christmas:

---

Previous 2014 Threads:
November 2014
October 2014 - Papers please. Theresa May Edition.
September 2014 - The baby that saved Britain.
August 2014 - Bojo's Brilliant Buran Bazaar
July 2014 - Thread regular knows dogfucker from school
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014

Related UK Threads:
UK Political Cartoons Megathread
Phone Hacking, Government Child Abuse Rings, And All Things British And Corrupt
English Defence League: the (white) pride of the UK
Independence Stay: A Holyrood Blockbuster (a Post-Ref ScotPol thread)
Trainchat - The failure of privatisation in the British Railway
---

Remember our creed; "Monster Munch For All. All Monster Munch Are Equal. Full Monster Munch-ism."

Made by Guavanaut

Guavanaut posted:

I pledge allegiance only to the flag of the Spanish Republic, with it's three bands representing the values common across all people: Flamin' Hot, Roast Beef, and most of all Pickled Onion.

- - -

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Farage in the background is just perfect.

So apparently there is 12m pounds to be spent on upgrading road infrastructure, especially in the south west. I was under the impression the country didn't have any money.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Ludicro posted:

Farage in the background is just perfect.

So apparently there is 12m pounds to be spent on upgrading road infrastructure, especially in the south west. I was under the impression the country didn't have any money.

15 billion, hactually.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Its old money they just outlined where the investment will go

e. Includes Manchester, Newcastle, Stonehenge

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Burqa King posted:

Its old money they just outlined where the investment will go

Don't bring your old money/new money arguments in here. Take them back to Tatler where they belong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You know who else is doesn't care for Christmas trees at all?

Jeremiah 10:1-5 posted:

God and Idols
Hear what the Lord says to you, people of Israel. 2 This is what the Lord says:
Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3 For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.
5 Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field,
their idols cannot speak;
they must be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not fear them;
they can do no harm
nor can they do any good."

No trees while you're worshiping a Middle Eastern God that was foisted upon you by a Roman Pope. Maybe it's time to start worshiping some proper British gods, like Belatucadros, Borvo, and Icovellauna :britain:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

15 billion, hactually.

wat hapend 2 osterite ........ liyin scum cameran !!!! vote u kip

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Important voter profiling from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30129990

quote:

Pollsters YouGov recently did some research on the sexual habits of different kinds of voter. Labour and Lib Dem supporters claimed to have the most adventurous sex lives. Labour voters also had the highest opinion of their own sexual prowess, claiming to be "long lasting, exciting and varied". Conservative supporters, by contrast, described themselves as "consistent, conventional, frequent". UKIP supporters were, if anything, even more conventional, writes YouGov associate director of analytics Bernadeta Wilk. Lib Dem supporters reported the widest range of sexual behaviours "including erotic massage, orgies, sex with someone from a different ethnicity and sex with a transsexual". What all this shows, says Wilks, is "the differences which draw people into rival political camps stretch far beyond politics".
Vote Labour for just the right level of freakiness in the sack - more adventure than the Tory/UKIP only-missionary-with-the-lights-out brigade but none of the Lib Dems' frankly disturbing practices.

quote:

Someone's ethnic background says far more about how they will vote than any other factor, including their social class. At the 2010 general election, 68% of ethnic minority voters backed Labour compared with just 16% who voted Conservative. That does not mean minorities agree with Labour's policies. Research shows many do not. But, says Oxford University's Anthony Heath, social pressure comes into play. New arrivals to the UK tend to join established ethnic communities, which have always voted Labour because they believe the party looks after ethnic minorities, while the Conservatives do not.

Being more physically attractive than your opponent gives you a 2% advantage at the ballot box, according to research by Caitlin Milazzo and Kyle Mattes. Women voters are more influenced by the "attractiveness" of a candidate than men.
Darkies and women don't actually think lol.

quote:

Political debate on Twitter tends to be between political insiders. Young people make spoof YouTube videos and jokes on social media at election time but there is no evidence it makes them more likely to vote, argues Marta Cantijoch, a lecturer in politics at the University of Manchester. "They are enthusiastic commentators on the campaign, but are apparently not interested in influencing the outcome," she adds.
Wait, twitter and online activism are... meaningless and futile? But... no...

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Chocolate Teapot posted:

15 billion, hactually.

Whoops, you're quite right. Would be nice if some of that fixed the pot holes all over the place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Darkies and women don't actually think lol.
This is probably more due to the broken FPTP system.

Given a choice between voting in line with your own views and voting to keep Conservatives/Kippers out becomes even more of a strained choice when the latter group seem to resent your very existence.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Crashbee posted:

The Telegraph actually ran a piece a couple of weeks ago with the headline 'Apparently, being 'too English' is now a crime'... because a school was mildly criticised by Ofsted for failing to provide enough opportunities to learn about other cultures.

This isn't strictly true. It wasn't "mildly criticized" - the report says it was one of three factors that meant they cannot be classified "outstanding". They'll never be 'outstanding' until they can satisfy the Inspectors on this point. But wait, apparently pupils do learn about other background, customs and beliefs in this school:

The reports says:

quote:

Pupils’ cultural development is good. They learn about different people’s social and ethnic backgrounds, customs and beliefs. However, opportunities for them to develop a deeper understanding of the nature of modern British society by interacting at first hand with their counterparts from different cultural background beyond the immediate locality are underdeveloped.

There is an interview with the head here (she's actually very chilled about the report, as it improved on the previous grade).

The school does teach about other faiths and cultures:

quote:

Which doesn’t mean that there aren’t displays on the classroom wall – next to War Horse – about Hinduism, with posters about various of its gods, typical pendant necklaces the children have made, and sculptures of a Hindu sacred bull carved from soap. They also “do” Diwali, and all other faiths regularly feature in assemblies led by the local vicar, a former chair of governors. Some of the pupils even visited a mosque as part of a recent school day-out to Derby, where the girls were shown how to don a headscarf.

The nearest faith buildings for non-Christians are an hour and a half away:

quote:

While there is an ancient, honey-stoned Anglican church backing on to the school’s playground, the nearest synagogue is in Hull, an hour and a half’s coach trip north of the Humber Bridge. And there’s a mosque at Lincoln, the same distance in the opposite direction.

As long as the school is teaching their pupils about other cultures and religions, it's bullshit to penalise them for living in an overwhelmingly white British area. What are they supposed to do? Bus the school to London to 'experience the multicultured people first-hand', as if it were a zoo? Oh wait, apparently they do that already. It's a bizarre test. If one school visit to a mosque apparently wasn't enough, how many is? Two?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 1, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the goddamn telegraph editorializes:

quote:

But her sane and reasoned voice has been drowned out by those anxious for their own reasons to champion her and her school. “I have had people stop me in the street in Market Rasen and tell me, 'we support you in what you are doing’. It is as if they think we’ve been doing something wrong, when in fact we’ve just got a good Ofsted verdict.”

The presence of the BNP on her school’s doorstep the day before I visit was perhaps the worst aspect of a willingness to play politics with Middle Rasen Primary. “I have no power to stop them standing outside the gates,” she says.

Anthony Wells, who has a daughter in Year Three and another due to start next year, confirms that the local community did not welcome the visitors. “No-one wanted them there. People were handing back the literature they were given. We are not racists round here. We are as tolerant and welcoming as anywhere else.”

In a week when UKIP has gained its second MP by preaching its own version of “British values”, a lazy connection is at risk of being made between Market Rasen in the north of Lincolnshire, where there are very few migrants and solid Tory support, and the south of the same county, where different crops require much more labour, migrants have arrived in large numbers in towns such as Boston, and UKIP has flourished. So much for diversity and respecting people for who they are.

The lesson of the whole affair, Middle Rason’s headteacher says, is to avoid politicising education, “because facts quickly get twisted and good news becomes bad”. And part of that politicisation is to apply a tick-box approach to measuring diversity that takes no account of particular (and diverse) local circumstances.

:psyduck:

this strikes me as a storm in a teacup brewed by someone forgetting to define 'immediate locality'

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ludicro posted:

Whoops, you're quite right. Would be nice if some of that fixed the pot holes all over the place.
Unfortunately it's local councils who are responsible for all the non-trunk roads, and they've been hammered for the past four years.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Vote Labour for just the right level of freakiness in the sack - more adventure than the Tory/UKIP only-missionary-with-the-lights-out brigade but none of the Lib Dems' frankly disturbing practices.

I've never come across a Lib Dem who doesn't support trans people, so I'm unsurprised at that. They're pretty pro-sex work too.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Think I mentioned this before but nick clegg on the radio today? What a lovely bloke. Welcome to his speaking tour windfalls post election

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Anyone know anything about this?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Burqa King posted:

Anyone know anything about this?

It's a protest against the purchase, sell-off and redevelopment of the New Era housing estate in Hoxton.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
With the tube strike still going ahead because of the sacking of that driver who was supposedly drunk on duty, I have to ask if anyone knows what his supposed medical condition was? I cant seem to find any reference to what it could be? I know such conditions do exist, so I was wondering if it had been reported anywhere?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think his medical condition was Delirium Tremens and he was just taking his fix

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's a protest against the purchase, sell-off and redevelopment of the New Era housing estate in Hoxton.

It's been mentioned in this thread before and while I don't have a comprehensive reference to hand it can pretty much be boiled down to "Rapidly gentrifying area, social landlord sells out to the money men who instantly jack rents way beyond the means of those living there".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

With the tube strike still going ahead because of the sacking of that driver who was supposedly drunk on duty, I have to ask if anyone knows what his supposed medical condition was? I cant seem to find any reference to what it could be? I know such conditions do exist, so I was wondering if it had been reported anywhere?

I'd assume details of the condition would be covered by the right to confidentiality.

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's been mentioned in this thread before and while I don't have a comprehensive reference to hand it can pretty much be boiled down to "Rapidly gentrifying area, social landlord sells out to the money men who instantly jack rents way beyond the means of those living there".

Pointless protest - you can't fight the economics behind gentrification of Hoxton, it's Zone 1 and it's going to happen whether they like it or not. The issue is a lack of affordable housing elsewhere to replace it.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

JFairfax posted:

I think his medical condition was Delirium Tremens and he was just taking his fix

:words:

Edit: vv Welp, apparently not. However, at least you get to enjoy one on me. My terribly prejudiced brain read it as something that was actually plausible coming from the RMT.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 1, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prince John posted:

lots of words

do you not recognise a joke when you see one?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Corporate posted:

Pointless protest - you can't fight the economics behind gentrification of Hoxton, it's Zone 1 and it's going to happen whether they like it or not. The issue is a lack of affordable housing elsewhere to replace it.

You can protest it, why should the people who live in one of the most outer bits of inner London be forced out because people want to make a quick buck on the houses they have been living in for the past 20+ years? I mean yeah it was probably going to happen, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't complain and point out how bastard stupid it is.

That and I am, to my own dismay that this loses the investors money if a market collapse happens. I say "to my own dismay" only because I know they are not going to lose anything even if this does all go tits up.

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

You can protest it, why should the people who live in one of the most outer bits of inner London be forced out because people want to make a quick buck on the houses they have been living in for the past 20+ years? I mean yeah it was probably going to happen, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't complain and point out how bastard stupid it is.

That and I am, to my own dismay that this loses the investors money if a market collapse happens. I say "to my own dismay" only because I know they are not going to lose anything even if this does all go tits up.

Yeah alright, you can protest it, but it'll do gently caress all and you've wasted your efforts fighting a battle you're never going to win.

Gentrification is happening boys, and inner London's multibillion pound land value movements won't be stopped by placards.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

The Corporate posted:

Yeah alright, you can protest it, but it'll do gently caress all and you've wasted your efforts fighting a battle you're never going to win.

Gentrification is happening boys, and inner London's multibillion pound land value movements won't be stopped by placards.

I suppose you could picket the new houses when they're completed and on the market. That might cut down on offers if they had to run the gauntlet of placards when viewing the potential new house with an estate agent.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Corporate posted:

Gentrification is happening boys,
______/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually used to live in New Era, and while the protesters are absolutely in the right, the place is honestly pretty lovely (general urban decay, peeling paint, graffiti, urine smell in all the stairwells, doesn't really feel safe after dark). Even when I was there it didn't seem to be a question of whether they were going to be pulled down, but when.

Still, kicking the tenants out and selling the space to yuppies is profiting from the tenant's misery so gently caress those guys.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd assume details of the condition would be covered by the right to confidentiality.

Understandable, but its really made it look like the union are backing someone that was fired because of "unspecified medical condition" and hence the strike action isnt being viewed very kindly at all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

You know who else is doesn't care for Christmas trees at all?

No trees while you're worshiping a Middle Eastern God that was foisted upon you by a Roman Pope. Maybe it's time to start worshiping some proper British gods, like Belatucadros, Borvo, and Icovellauna :britain:

I'd be happy if everyone stopped worshipping the demiurge :smith:.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prince John posted:

I suppose you could picket the new houses when they're completed and on the market. That might cut down on offers if they had to run the gauntlet of placards when viewing the potential new house with an estate agent.

At which point the police get called.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

serious gaylord posted:

what makes you think their medical info is any of your business?
have some respect for people's privacy.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Prince John posted:

As long as the school is teaching their pupils about other cultures and religions, it's bullshit to penalise them for living in an overwhelmingly white British area. What are they supposed to do? Bus the school to London to 'experience the multicultured people first-hand', as if it were a zoo? Oh wait, apparently they do that already. It's a bizarre test. If one school visit to a mosque apparently wasn't enough, how many is? Two?

Should underfunded schools or schools in deprived areas similarly get a pass for not having access to top of the line facilities? Is trying one's best enough?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
OP is missing Salmond as Santa.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Understandable, but its really made it look like the union are backing someone that was fired because of "unspecified medical condition" and hence the strike action isnt being viewed very kindly at all.

The unions could strike because Boris Johnson was found to be eating train drivers and it wouldn't be viewed very kindly.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The unions could strike because Boris Johnson was found to be eating train drivers and it wouldn't be viewed very kindly.

I'd support a BoJo vs. train driver cannibal death match. Who do I vote for to make it happen?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Season's greetings! This is the actual Blair christmas card; featuring Tony Blair's warmest, most inviting smile! I must insist this is added to the OP to allow everyone to get into the appropriate spirit!

:whitewater:

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Whatever Cherie Blair is doing with her left hand I don't think Tony likes it.

• Locked thread