Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Followed by Falcon Crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Sexual Lorax posted:

In my world, the movie playing is The Maltese Falcon.

I thought that was the joke?

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Caffeinated Bacon posted:

That's a coach falcon, my birds of prey always go first class.

So is this a thing? Like, Middle-Eastern-Guys-Tending-Falcons — is this some extremely specific subculture I'm not aware of?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who's ready for a war on Christmas?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MiketheGreat posted:

So is this a thing? Like, Middle-Eastern-Guys-Tending-Falcons — is this some extremely specific subculture I'm not aware of?

That's exactly what it is, yes. It's popular in the Gulf states among the upper class.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

MiketheGreat posted:

Falconry, at least as practiced by the West, originated in the Middle East. It was brought over by European noblemen who would see the Arabs practicing with their falcons during the Crusades.

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals

MiketheGreat posted:

Falconry in the middle east dates back to Bedouin tribes but now it's a huge status thing among certain groups. Falcons have been auctioned off for over a million dollars. Big cats are popular too, especially cheetahs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Falconry in the middle east dates back to Bedouin tribes but now it's a huge status thing among certain groups. Falcons have been auctioned off for over a million dollars. Big cats are popular too, especially cheetahs.

It is so amazingly stupid to keep any cat species bigger than 50 pounds as a pet.

Some of the 20-30 pound species will mess you up, too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's pretty much entirely a symbolic show of stupidity and obscene idle wealth their power and machismo rather than an actual caring pet ownership, so.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Asimo posted:

It's pretty much entirely a symbolic show of stupidity and obscene idle wealth their power and machismo rather than an actual caring pet ownership, so.

Sure, and I'm not talking about the welfare of the animal, I'm talking about the welfare of the Sheik's face.

Don't be an idiot and buy un-domesticated pets, but especially not big cats.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

like thats going to be seen on anyone other than a POG

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Cat is like "Oh God, he's texting again. Fucksake can we just get out of the car already?"

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

That seems pretty loving :krad:

Do they regularly declaw them or are they just at risk of being murdered by their pet?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I love that this loving guy puts a leash on it like if that cheetah decides to take off it won't be taking his arm with it.

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals

theflyingorc posted:

It is so amazingly stupid to keep any cat species bigger than 50 pounds as a pet.

Some of the 20-30 pound species will mess you up, too.

It's a part of their rich cultural heritage. Please respect that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Mos Festo is my favorite Star Wars EU character.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MindlessHavok posted:

I love that this loving guy puts a leash on it like if that cheetah decides to take off it won't be taking his arm with it.

It wouldn't. Cheetah are not particularly strong, compared to other large cats or a dog of comparable size. They're not even really feared as predators in their home territory, as they're very timid and you can basically keep them away with a stick.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Cheetahs coursing - using cheetahs as hunting animals - was a thing for centuries but died out along with the entire Indian cheetah population. There are some attempts in Saudi Arabia to revitalize it, but cheetahs born in captivity aren't very good hunters so usually adolescent cheetahs are caught in the wild and domesticated. Cheetahs are easy to tame and there are Egyptian wall paintings dating from 1700BC showing a dude leading a spotted feline on a leash, assumed to be a cheetah.

There's a really good book about historical cheetah coursing in India named "The End of A Trail, The Cheetah in India". I'd link to places selling it, but it seems to be out of print.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It wouldn't. Cheetah are not particularly strong, compared to other large cats or a dog of comparable size. They're not even really feared as predators in their home territory, as they're very timid and you can basically keep them away with a stick.

Looks like it. That cheetah in the above gif is actually acting terrified (corner hugging), until he scares the fucker that gets kicked. I swear he looks like he is suddenly having fun as the dude stumbles away.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bored posted:

Looks like it. That cheetah in the above gif is actually acting terrified (corner hugging), until he scares the fucker that gets kicked. I swear he looks like he is suddenly having fun as the dude stumbles away.

Well, sure. He's got himself a new iPhone.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

its too late to run!!!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Acne Rain posted:

its too late to run!!!

:3:

From what I've heard from people working in big cat shelters is that cheetahs are just giant kittens. Cougars and lions will end you, a cheetah will snuggle up hoping you give it snacks.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've gone from not wanting a cheetah to yes wanting a cheetah. I wonder if I would be allergic to cheetahs.

Actually, one of my sons asked me if I would also be allergic to big cats, like tigers. How could I possibly know that? Well, son, the last time I spent time with a goddamn tiger...

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I've gone from not wanting a cheetah to yes wanting a cheetah. I wonder if I would be allergic to cheetahs.

Actually, one of my sons asked me if I would also be allergic to big cats, like tigers. How could I possibly know that? Well, son, the last time I spent time with a goddamn tiger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Tlln9tJLU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

captainOrbital posted:

Seriously I used to think people who owned big cats were stupid idiot assholes but now that I know cheetahs are tame-ish I'm like, gently caress yeah I want a cheetah.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Well, sure. He's got himself a new iPhone.

I know! As soon as it drops, he's all,"Oooo"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I feel like even racist truther tea-party rednecks would laugh at that dude getting kicked into a cheetah and say "Well see here, this Arab's not so bad. That poo poo's funniern hell. I remember when my wife's cousin Rodney

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's a part of their rich cultural heritage. Please respect that.

http://i.imgur.com/pLchNya.gif

Reminds me of this, except the tiger doesn't even pay attention to him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bobjr posted:

This is the funniest thing I've seen in months. I literally have to mouse away or I'll stop breathing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13Pandora13 posted:

Seriously I used to think people who owned big cats were stupid idiot assholes but now that I know cheetahs are tame-ish I'm like, gently caress yeah I want a cheetah.

You ever had a cat decide that it wants to lay ON you? Hell my 15 pound shithead just loves to lay right on my chest. Can you imagine a 100+ pound cheetah deciding it's bed time and jumping up on your face.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

veedubfreak posted:

You ever had a cat decide that it wants to lay ON you? Hell my 15 pound shithead just loves to lay right on my chest. Can you imagine a 100+ pound cheetah deciding it's bed time and jumping up on your face.

Cheetahs? Pfffftttt...

http://youtu.be/Znpnf9D2VIk

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

veedubfreak posted:

Add to that the fact that cheetahs can't retract their claws and even innocent, playful behavior can become dangerous.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

bobjr posted:

Chill bro, big kitty just wants to make sure he's in the shot!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

davidspackage posted:

Mos Festo is my favorite Star Wars EU character.

Random Stranger posted:

Mos Def's cousin Mos Festo and the Keni Frig All-llahun Band is takin' Turkey by storm.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

kannonfodder posted:

:3:

From what I've heard from people working in big cat shelters is that cheetahs are just giant kittens. Cougars and lions will end you, a cheetah will snuggle up hoping you give it snacks.

My uncle had a cheetah in his backyard back in the late 70s, in a big fenced-off enclosure. I have a vague memory of being told not to go near it but sneaking off and sticking my hand through the chain-link to scritch its cheek. They purr like a B17 bomber warming-up on the runway.
He had it as part of an act in his nightclub, but the cat ended up with one of the huge European circuses.
I remember seeing my uncle throw live chickens over the fence so Felix could chase them down and eat them.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Add to that the fact that cheetahs can't retract their claws and even innocent, playful behavior can become dangerous.

My friend got me the inflatable unicorn horn. I have no clue how the people in your image managed to get theirs to inflate. Yeah. I was totally gonna put it on my cat and take pictures.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bored posted:

My friend got me the inflatable unicorn horn. I have no clue how the people in your image managed to get theirs to inflate. Yeah. I was totally gonna put it on my cat and take pictures.

I always assumed it was made of plastic, and when you posted this i just realized there's a inflation valve thing on the side and that makes it about 110% funnier to me, thank you

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The couch should tell you everything you need to know about owning a big cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread