Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I know some folks are worried about anti-American backlash as a result of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vasudus posted:

This is America, someone go and snag some highlights for me.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/09/the-most-gruesome-moments-in-the-cia-torture-report.html

I don't see the big deal

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Its awesome because it gets organizations who put bombs in marketplaces, murder gays, marry/rape children, and execute random people on a daily basis to call us human rights abusing monsters because we waterboarded some of their people.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

What is that man doing to his lunch!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If any of it actually did anything useful we would have heard about the specifics by now. Bush and the CIA leaked everything good for them immediately. Like when they left that doctor who helped catch Bin Laden to die because no one could wait to fellate themselves for killing Bin Laden.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Best Friends posted:

If any of it actually did anything useful we would have heard about the specifics by now. Bush and the CIA leaked everything good for them immediately. Like when they left that doctor who helped catch Bin Laden to die because no one could wait to fellate themselves for killing Bin Laden.

uhm...you realize that Bin Laden wasn't killed on Bush's watch, right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be mostly mad at the CIA for doing dumb things to people who didn't know anything in the first place. That's hosed up, yo.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

uhm...you realize that Bin Laden wasn't killed on Bush's watch, right?

Yeah, that's what I mean by Bush and the CIA, not Bush with the CIA.

The pro torture argument is basically "trust us it helped in 2004 and on" and if that was true, we'd know about exactly how and why.

The guys who let this happen:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/world/asia/pakistan-bin-laden-doctor/

Are not shy about hyping themselves up.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 9, 2014

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vasudus posted:

Just scroll to a random page for your :patriot: highlights. It's like bobbing for water.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Just scroll to a random page for your :patriot: highlights. It's like bobbing for water.

I'm on my phone in a meeting, lol at loading a 499 page PDF on it right now.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress I would have killed for a hummus, pasta, nuts and raisins MRE this is bullshit

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm wicked stoned so maybe that's why I just think its ok to give a little torture here and there to the same fucks who will make a 12 year old girl walk into a wedding with enough explosives strapped to her to put a loving crater in the earth big enough to crash land all the f-35s we have.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cole posted:

I'm wicked stoned so maybe that's why I just think its ok to give a little torture here and there to the same fucks who will make a 12 year old girl walk into a wedding with enough explosives strapped to her to put a loving crater in the earth big enough to crash land all the f-35s we have.

being better than them, etc etc, democracy freedom, show them how civilised we are

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I get that no one's going to prison for this, and I disappoint myself by starting with that assumption. The big question I have is why won't anyone go to prison? It seems like a fairly short path from "We don't do these things, because [long list of reasons from bad intel to inviting retaliation on US POWs]" to "When we catch someone doing these things, we punish them to discourage others from doing them."

All I want for Christmas is for this motherfucker to do hard time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't see how torture is much worse than burning someone to death or shooting their guts out, which are both things 99% of people are just fine with, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything except make fat dickless talk radio fucks and their fans feel manly.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Here is one of the greatest interrogators of all time, maybe the best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Scharff

Note the total lack of actual torture.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Vasudus posted:

People got tortured. As in 'no way to redefine or lawyer your way around it'-torture.

A lot/most of this torture produced nothing of value.

People were tortured despite the brass in charge knowing there was nothing of value to be gained from it, because gently caress em'.

A few of those tortured were not actually enemies of the US. But rather enemies of whatever local warlord allied with the US, or just got fingered by someone who were themselves getting tortured. Still got tortured, because gently caress em'.

So basically nothing we already didn't know. Only difference is it'll be more difficult to feign ignorance now. Someone might get scapegoated for it, but don't bet your house it'll be anyone important.

quote:

The big question I have is why won't anyone go to prison?

Because the people deciding whether anyone should go to prison are also the ones who would go to prison if you were to let justice run it's logical course up the chain of command.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 9, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Its awesome because it gets organizations who put bombs in marketplaces, murder gays, marry/rape children, and execute random people on a daily basis to call us human rights abusing monsters because we waterboarded some of their people.

Cole posted:

One problem with that line of reasoning:

quote:

Of the 119 known detainees, at least 26 were wrongfully held and did not meet the detention standard in the September 2001 Memorandum of Notification (MON). These included an "intellectually challenged" man whose CIA detention was used solely as leverage to get a family member to provide information, two individuals who were intelligence sources for foreign liaison services and were former CIA sources, and two individuals whom the CIA assessed to be connected to al-Qa'ida based solely on information fabricated by a CIA detainee subjected to the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I know some folks are worried about anti-American backlash as a result of it.

Man it's almost like if you don't want people to hate you don't do lovely things like torture people.

I'm not saying that a lot of those people wouldn't have the same opinions about us if we hadn't tortured, but the fact that US Senators can say with a straight face "don't publish this report about the really bad things we all admit that we did because it might make people not like us" is sadly hilarious to me.

Also this is a pretty pro-read on the subject.

Best Friends posted:

I don't see how torture is much worse than burning someone to death or shooting their guts out, which are both things 99% of people are just fine with, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything except make fat dickless talk radio fucks and their fans feel manly.

A non-zero portion of the people we tortured hadn't actually done anything against U.S./coalition/whatever forces, which means that outside of collateral damage/targeting mistakes/whatever we wouldn't have been trying to burn them to death or shoot their guts out.

Granted I'm referring more to the Abu Ghraib/other lower level situations than the CIA's program, but the point about the overall principle still stands I think.

e: Nevermind turns out the CIA program did torture some people who hadn't done anything, welp

lol the CIA tortured people who were sources for allied governments, people who were there solely because someone else being tortured said they were bad, and a retarded person. This is like something out of a bad movie.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Zeris posted:

gently caress I would have killed for a hummus, pasta, nuts and raisins MRE this is bullshit

yeah, but you would have had to have it fed to you up the butt.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

A non-zero portion of the people we tortured hadn't actually done anything against U.S./coalition/whatever forces, which means that outside of collateral damage/targeting mistakes/whatever we wouldn't have been trying to burn them to death or shoot their guts out.

The percentage of people we killed in Iraq who fall into the "collateral damage/targeting mistake category" is at least a majority, probably a very strong majority. The figure I heard from a major on the rate of cars we shot up for suspected VBIED actually being a VBIED was something like 5%.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One problem with that line of reasoning:

Yeah but my line of pro torture reasoning has nothing to do with getting information from people.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Best Friends posted:

The percentage of people we killed in Iraq who fall into the "collateral damage/targeting mistake category" is at least a majority, probably a very strong majority. The figure I heard from a major on the rate of cars we shot up for suspected VBIED actually being a VBIED was something like 5%.

I'd argue there is a distinct difference between shooting a car up because they weren't slowing down when people pointed guns at them, and slowly and methodically torturing someone you know is probably innocent.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Courthouse posted:

I'd argue there is a distinct difference between shooting a car up because they weren't slowing down when people pointed guns at them, and slowly and methodically torturing someone you know is probably innocent.

yeah. fog of war and all that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Courthouse posted:

But in the grand scheme of things, it's about the same as projectile diarrhea-ing the entirety of a gas station bathroom, then getting upset about dropping a wad of used toilet paper on the floor.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LongDarkNight posted:

What is that man doing to his lunch!

Diets are getting weirder and weirder.

"I lost weight using this one crazy CIA trick."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I wish John McCain were like this more often rather than the bitter husk he has become:
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/we-need-not-risk-our-national-honor-prevail-or-any-war

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I wish John McCain were like this more often rather than the bitter husk he has become:
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/we-need-not-risk-our-national-honor-prevail-or-any-war

after watching game change i legit feel sorry for him

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i am still cool with forcing enhanced interrogation methods on their apologists.

imagining half the cast and crew of fox and friends glubbing down the water cooler while their interns hold them down is pretty :lol:-y

i guess that technically makes me a torture supporter, but i think my goal is noble.

:911:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Best Friends posted:

Here is one of the greatest interrogators of all time, maybe the best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Scharff

Note the total lack of actual torture.

We also had this guy and his team help pin down al-Zarqawi's location in Iraq as well.

All without using torture.

Fucitol posted:

i am still cool with forcing enhanced interrogation methods on their apologists.

imagining half the cast and crew of fox and friends glubbing down the water cooler while their interns hold them down is pretty :lol:-y

i guess that technically makes me a torture supporter, but i think my goal is noble.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was the rectal stuff more, "gently caress this guy I'm doing something whacky" as opposed to "hey I just got this great idea for information extraction"?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fucitol posted:

That little rat gently caress Sean Hannity said that he'd go get waterboarded and then bitched out. The only one that I remember offhand who supported waterboarding and then changed his mind after trying it was Christopher Hitchens.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who was the hardcore Fox News waterboarding apologist who volunteered to be waterboarded a few years ago to prove it wasn't so bad, only lasted a few seconds before calling it quits, and immediately reversed his stance?

efb

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

gfanikf posted:

Was the rectal stuff entire program more, "gently caress this guy I'm doing something whacky" as opposed to "hey I just got this great idea for information extraction"?

fixed

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valid question too.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

psydude posted:

Who was the hardcore Fox News waterboarding apologist who volunteered to be waterboarded a few years ago to prove it wasn't so bad, only lasted a few seconds before calling it quits, and immediately reversed his stance?

efb

Mancow, I believe.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/archive/Mancow-Takes-on-Waterboarding-and-Loses.html

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

You're allowed to do all sorts of horrible poo poo to combatants who are trying to kill you, but if you set a helpless prisoner on fire most people would agree you'd be a war criminal. Hors de combat matters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

huh i wonder what the tea party has to say about this
http://www.tpnn.com/2014/12/09/democrat-report-puts-americans-at-risk-for-terrorist-attacks/
lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

this was really loving good, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

ActusRhesus posted:

yeah, but you would have had to have it fed to you up the butt.

:getin:

• Locked thread