Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone played The Witcher Adventure Game? Digital version of a board game, came out on Steam recently -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303800/

Looks like maybe a fun way to pass the time between now and May for $10...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Geralt mostly gets it back from continued exposure to stuff from his past after the Eternal Battle in Act 2 acts as a catalyst for breaking down the magical crap loving with his mind. This could be explained better in game given that the most exposition you get out of it is either from some random medic in Henselt's camp, or from Cynthia in Vergen. Who are both easily missable.

Mutual concern for Ciri was really good for their relationship. Before then it was pretty poisonous.

I stand by my interpretation that the short stories simply didn't show all the happy stuff inbetween and that they both didn't know how to handle the whole "gently caress we're linked by fate" situation.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

One last quote of babbys

quote:

what is the meaning of this?

CD project you CANNOT do such a thing. not you. you were the last hope. the loving last hope in this entire market. i cannot belive this. someone tell me it's some sort of mistake,someone tell me that's the consolr version and on PC we are gonna get the orignial trailers graphic quality. please , i'm feel a part of me screaming inside...this cannot be real

if in may this downgrade happens to be true i quit gaming. forever, i mean it. i cannot bare this anymore,those companies are killing all my childhood memories, all i ever liked about games since i was 6 years old. first the DLC,than the lock on discDLC and now this downgrade and nerfing for PC to not make look those uper lovely consoles bad...i cannot live with this anymore, this is a cancer..all for the money...please let me be wrong...i wan't to be drat wrong...i wan't to be mistaken. my god this is unberable....i don't know what to say....i think this is one of the most hurtfoul and depressing days of my entire life. and i've witnessed my fathers death when i was 8. i'm dead serious. you cann't do this CDPR you cannot sell out like this.....drat this can't be real...this just can't be real

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dilber posted:

One last quote of babbys

:wtc: :eyepop:

Some people should just stop playing games.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

This is about ethics in video game release dates.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Crappy Jack posted:

This is about ethics in video game release dates and computer graphics.

ftfy

Can someone explain this graphics hissy fit? I only sort of understand it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ice Fist posted:

ftfy

There are people who unironically believe in the PC master race, and also believe they can play videogames at stable framerates that look as good as CGI trailers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:wtc: :eyepop:

Some people should just stop playing games living.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

ftfy

Apparently the graphics in the latest trailer didn't look as good as they did before. Some are saying this is a result of a bugged frost texture.

People freak out because:

1. Downgrades?! Remember Dark Souls 2??!

2. Unless a game has the best graphics possible, it'll be a bad game, possibly the worst game ever made.

3. They are only doing this because of consoles and gently caress those console losers.

4. MY VIDEO GAMES!!

Basically, quit gettin' mad about video games.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Not to defend the whiny babies on CDPR forums, but there are situation where a game could look much better, but the devs have to downgrade it because it could only run on PCs and not on the consoles. Watch McKilligan's LP of The Bureau:XCOM Declassified. It's co-commentated by one of the devs, and he talks about a lot of neat things they had, but had to cut them because consoles couldn't handle it. Knowing that you could get a better product but didn't because of limitations of another platform IS a pretty lovely feeling and I really hope CDPR isn't doing that.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

Not to defend the whiny babies on CDPR forums, but there are situation where a game could look much better, but the devs have to downgrade it because it could only run on PCs and not on the consoles. Watch McKilligan's LP of The Bureau:XCOM Declassified. It's co-commentated by one of the devs, and he talks about a lot of neat things they had, but had to cut them because consoles couldn't handle it. Knowing that you could get a better product but didn't because of limitations of another platform IS a pretty lovely feeling and I really hope CDPR isn't doing that.

The Bureau was a bad game for reasons other than Muh Graffix, though.

Like seriously, I feel bad for the devs if they had to cut all kinds of really cool poo poo that ONLY THE POWER OF PC could handle, but it's on them to make an interesting and good videogame, regardless of the limitations of their platform they are working on.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 9, 2014

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Anyone played The Witcher Adventure Game? Digital version of a board game, came out on Steam recently -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303800/

Looks like maybe a fun way to pass the time between now and May for $10...

It's a perfect replica of the board game. In that you move your pieces, then watch the computer move. Then the other computer. Then your friend (if you have one)

It looks a fun game. But it needs to be played round a table with beer, and it needs the little pieces so you can waggle em around and pretend they're fighitng.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Bureau was a bad game for reasons other than Muh Graffix, though.

Like seriously, I feel bad for the devs if they had to cut all kinds of really cool poo poo that ONLY THE POWER OF PC could handle, but it's on them to make an interesting and good videogame, regardless of the limitations of their platform they are working on.

I don't think, nor did I imply it in my post, that the console-induced limitations were a major factor in the Bureau being a bad game. Merely that they exist.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Aumanor posted:

Is witcher3 even a simultaneous release with consoles? I thought the console release was a year later.... oh wait.....

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Reminder that the game is primarily a PC game and always has been.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Didn't the Xbox version of The Witcher 2 look and run significantly worse than the PC version?

If they're gonna gimp anything, it's gonna be the console version. They've done it before.

GrossMurpel posted:

I stand by my interpretation that the short stories simply didn't show all the happy stuff inbetween and that they both didn't know how to handle the whole "gently caress we're linked by fate" situation.

I'm sure they had happy moments too but the bad moments were really bad and pretty frequent. And yeah neither of them seemed to be able to handle the fate/magical compulsion thing their relationship was possibly stemming from. I mean in the second short story collection Yennefer takes Geralt to the same city she's meeting her gently caress buddy.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Dilber posted:

One last quote of babbys

I just read this for the office, it was met with applause, though that may have been for my oscar worthy performance.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 10, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm imagining it read like Obi-Wan's horrible ranting monologue as Anakin was burning to death in Star Wars Episode 3. "You were the Chosen One, CD Projekt!" etc.

Why are official forums always so awful?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dilber posted:

One last quote of babbys

That guy's post history is something to behold. Wow.

Another example:

quote:

anyway, i saw the trailer uncompressed now and there is NO doubt. that was NOWERE near the previous trailers quality, many points showing it has been already discussed from gratl chainmail and face details, to effects and whatnot. if this was an old build releasing the trailer now in that condition makes no sanse and have only dammaged them. if the trailr IS the courrent condition of the game than the downgrade happend and this isn't questionable, you cannot fool me at this point,with the uncompressed version of ALL the released trailer under my eyeas i can see very well the difference. and yes IF this is happend the reson ARE consoles. at this point i don't even give a drat anymore. i will wait may, or august or next november i don't give a drat. i will see the game, since i have alredy purchased it and if it's not th quality they showed in th biginning but instead is this "thing" they showed now i will simply do what i already told you and stop gaming for good. either they release two VERY separate versions console and PC and they point out CLEARLY what are the limits of each and point out CLEARLY with each new video what build is running on what or if they just downgrade the PC version for the sake of parity at launch and they don't even release a free ultra texture pack/filters enabler/nvidia effects enable etc. for pc only ( like what happend with shadow of mordor) afterwards, this time i delete steam sell all my old games and forget what this lovely world has become for good. i will not spend a single cent more in this industry if this is what has come to,and this is final. no ban me delete this post or do whathever you want i dont give a drat anymore. for now no one but a selected few know the truth and i will refrain my final judgment till the game is officially out,.
BUT,if the truth is like i start to belive what the present informations are hinting at, you guys have failed as both devs,artists and human beings altoghter and i pity you. you may ban people and censore theyr voices but i will never escape the truth you know in your hearts. IF you have done something to be ashemed for, YOU know. theres no need of further external proof. if not, you have nothing to fear and the final product will show to all of us just how mutch faithless we were this all time,and to be quite frank i hope we will look like fools in the end having being wrong with our suspects for all this time, i really do,for the sake of both you and your entire fanbase,including me in the future. i just start to feel really strong inside me that that will not be the case.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
i am accepting my status as a failure of a human being, can't post anymore, guys, i have to go die.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
the babby neglects to state he likely watched the trailer on his little phone screen complete with smudge marks everywhere, but no he definitely was able to clearly delineate variance in quality in loving trailers and deduce it couldn't be a number of other things in the delivery pipe to his viewing affecting quality.

How does one measure feedback when majority of those who are ok and understand things like delays remain silent?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

i am accepting my status as a failure of a human being, can't post anymore, guys, i have to go die.

Since when has a person being a failure of a human being ever stopped them from posting? I mean, I post.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Since when has a person being a failure of a human being ever stopped them from posting? I mean, I post.

I'm writing an algorithm that will continue my shitposting until the end of time, don't worry.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Aumanor posted:

CDPR did a pretty good job cutting things down for consoles and only lost minor easy to miss things in Witcher 2 (the meditation transitions and background stuff like animals in the cities were the only ones I noticed). I've played both versions and didn't see a huge difference in graphics.

But then again I'm new to the PC master race so I really don't worry about graphics much as long as the game plays all right and doesn't blind me or something.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

CDProjekt discussed the delay with their investors, and it's nothing major as expected. It's the one spot you know they are mainly truthful because lying would open them up to big lawsuits.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-10-witcher-3-dev-market-is-afraid-of-badly-polished-games-on-next-gen

quote:

"We want to disarm the opinion that [The Witcher 3] doesn't exist," he went on, tackling another concern. "It will be closed by the end of the year in line with the schedule.

"There's a lot of small errors though, because the game is huge. It's the only reason behind the delay. We didn't assume it will be this big. Only after putting all the pieces together it turned out it's bigger than the two first put together. Let me remind you: it's open and not linear. We are just learning how to play it and we have to catch the little pieces. We know what to do, we just have to do it. We don't want to release the game with bugs that undermine the gameplay."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dilber posted:

CDProjekt discussed the delay with their investors, and it's nothing major as expected. It's the one spot you know they are mainly truthful because lying would open them up to big lawsuits.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-10-witcher-3-dev-market-is-afraid-of-badly-polished-games-on-next-gen

I really wish more developers of open world games would be willing to do this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Yes, the thought process behind it is sound, but it is still an open world game and I will eat a meat hat if it comes out and isn't broken as poo poo in very specific ways.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, the thought process behind it is sound, but it is still an open world game and I will eat a meat hat if it comes out and isn't broken as poo poo in very specific ways.

Yeah I understand games like that are big and tend to have a lot of unforeseen bugs just by their nature so I'm not expecting perfection. But it's a refreshing change from the usual "just release it already, we'll patch it later!" or relying on the fans to make their own patches.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Double Fine sort of ruined it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Tim Schafer's always missing milestones and going overbudget.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Oh well, I will have plenty of other RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Serpent in the Staglands to play while waiting for TW3. Just make sure the game is great when it finally comes out and I'll be a happy customer.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'm imagining it read like Obi-Wan's horrible ranting monologue as Anakin was burning to death in Star Wars Episode 3. "You were the Chosen One, CD Projekt!" etc.

Why are official forums always so awful?

Pretty sure I saw an edit of that scene with BioWare after DA2 came out so it's not too farfetched.

E:

funakupo posted:

the babby neglects to state he likely watched the trailer on his little phone screen complete with smudge marks everywhere, but no he definitely was able to clearly delineate variance in quality in loving trailers and deduce it couldn't be a number of other things in the delivery pipe to his viewing affecting quality.

The frost texture that everyone is clinging to definitely looked like poo poo, regardless of what device you view it on.
I'm not saying OMG THE DOWNGRADE IS REAL but you can see if a texture looks lovely compared to the rest of the game no matter what device you view it on.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 10, 2014

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

GrossMurpel posted:

Pretty sure I saw an edit of that scene with BioWare after DA2 came out so it's not too farfetched.

E:

The frost texture that everyone is clinging to definitely looked like poo poo, regardless of what device you view it on.
I'm not saying OMG THE DOWNGRADE IS REAL but you can see if a texture looks lovely compared to the rest of the game no matter what device you view it on.

It's still a ridiculous thing that PC gamers latch on to, and they should be mocked incessantly for being the literal worst people. The game still looks pretty enough as is.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

A company delaying a game for more QA and bug fixing. How novel.

Seriously though, I hope other devs follow in the wake. 2014 should be looked upon as a learning experience.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I mean, there's like 3 games in a row that got released in various states of bugginess, with Assasins Creed Unity being almost unplayable initially. Who looks at that and complains when a game's delayed for more bug testing? I'm still waiting on a patch for Unity that'll make it run a little better, so while it's on my computer it may as well be delayed for all the playtime I'm getting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm done buying games on release. Always with the bugs. And at least CDR actually wants to fix all their bugs eventually, certain other companies just shrug at all but their most game breaking bugs.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
What do you think the chances are of an Enhanced Edition eventually coming out? I've already pre-ordered it but I'd be willing to wait an extra year after release to start fresh on the "complete" version.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silentgoldfish posted:

I mean, there's like 3 games in a row that got released in various states of bugginess, with Assasins Creed Unity being almost unplayable initially. Who looks at that and complains when a game's delayed for more bug testing? I'm still waiting on a patch for Unity that'll make it run a little better, so while it's on my computer it may as well be delayed for all the playtime I'm getting.
Most people are never happy either way. Witcher 3 could be the best game ever on release but because it got delayed to fix bugs and optimize or whatever, certain bitchy loud assclowns will never buy it on principal.

Lycus posted:

I'm done buying games on release. Always with the bugs. And at least CDR actually wants to fix all their bugs eventually, certain other companies just shrug at all but their most game breaking bugs.
Same here. In general I am getting pretty sour on videogames in general because the vast majority are released too early nad have too many bugs or massive gameplay issues that the developers will never fix. But that chat is for another thread.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

It's still a ridiculous thing that PC gamers latch on to, and they should be mocked incessantly for being the literal worst people. The game still looks pretty enough as is.

Yeah I'm not debating that, I'm simply saying it's silly to say the quality of a texture compared to the rest of the game is influenced by your screen resolution.
Sorry, I just love arguing details for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I'm not debating that, I'm simply saying it's silly to say the quality of a texture compared to the rest of the game is influenced by your screen resolution.
Sorry, I just love arguing details for no reason.

That is not what I said. Please argue your points within the confines of my statement. I did joke about a fingerprint smudged mobile phone viewing but I then stated it was the guy then jumping to the conclusion that the game was modified in any way intentionally to produce what he saw--I was mocking his powers of deduction. If there are visible texture differences between 2 videos of a game, then that is just that-- it is just an observed difference. There is not enough information to determine anything beyond that observation. There are so many points that could have introduced the issue observed in a video that have nothing to do with the development of the game. There literally is no evidence of a problem within the game itself. When there is actual evidence, then we can discuss the impact of said texture change.

• Locked thread