Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Divinity: Original Sin and Dragon Age: Inquisition are sort of mirror images of each other. Divinity's got a really fun tactical combat system but the characters are very blah and generic and the story is nothing to write home about. DA:I has probably the best cast of any Bioware game and is generally very well written, but the combat system kind of sucks and it's weighed down by some very bad mechanical decisions that make some things more frustrating than they should be. Also, it's actually pretty short if you don't do the frankly absurd amount of MMO style goat rear end collection quests that were thrown in to pad its length.

Both are very good games but it really comes down to whether you want character and story or combat mechanics from your WRPG.

Wait so the new Dragon Age has HK47 as a companion? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Wait so the new Dragon Age has HK47 as a companion? :colbert:
HK47 was funny in KOTOR1 but he was at his best in KOTOR2, when Bioware wasn't writing him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Heavy neutrino posted:

so did they add anything new to suikoden 2 or what

...Why would they?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Heavy neutrino posted:

wow that sure was 100 posts of stupid poo poo good work guys

so did they add anything new to suikoden 2 or what

101 now i'd say

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Endorph posted:

HK47 was funny in KOTOR1 but he was at his best in KOTOR2, when Bioware wasn't writing him.

Everything is at its best when Bioware isn't writing it! :v:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

hubris.height posted:

101 now i'd say

108 posts of destiny

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

DA:I has probably the best cast of any Bioware game

Them's fightin' words, friend. I love me some Mass Effect cast and I'm not afraid to say it.

But yes, DA:I has some really great character writing, I like that they've departed from their own tropes somewhat. I expected Iron Bull to be another Sten from the promo materials, and was hilariously surprised at what I got.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Let me guess, he's a gay Quniari with a speech impediment?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Shut up, bitch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gyshall posted:

Dude what the hell.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Iron Bull is freakin cool and I will -NOT- stand for people disrespecting him.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm fond of the Mass Effect cast myself, but what tips it over the top for me is that the characters in Dragon Age actually interact with each other and change absent the direct intervention of the player character. Like a lot of the characters start out fairly hostile to one another but then as you take them out in your party together and they banter they work through their issues and come to either like or grudgingly respect one another. Some characters even get into relationships with each other if you pair them up enough and don't try to bang them first. It's refreshing and makes the cast seem like they have some agency, as opposed to the normal Bioware character arcs where they stand around waiting for the PC to compliment them enough that he can do their personal quest and solve all of their baggage.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Endorph posted:

Oh boy!!!!!! I can't wait to... play... suikoden 2......!!!

gP*V+]
jMAE^*i&kU}-EMA{
U&.&X+mh

So I have never played a Suikoden game in my life. Probably going to pick it up on PSN. Is Suikoden 2 a good place to start or should I play the first one beforehand?

What do I need to know, tell me goons.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

You don't need to play Suikoden 1 before Suikoden 2. Suikoden games aren't especially connected, although they're set in the same world. 1 and 2 are probably the most closely connected, but honestly it doesn't matter that much because none of the connections are important to understanding the plot. There's a few recurring characters and a returning antagonist but they're introduced well enough in the game that you probably wouldn't know which ones they are unless its pointed out to you. You can also recruit the main character from the first game as a secret character if you follow a convoluted set of steps.

Suikoden 2 is by far the best in the series and will probably be the most satisfying if you're coming into it blind. One is really good but also really dated, three is sort of lackluster and leans the heaviest on a metaplot that will probably never be resolved now, 4 is dogshit and 5 is actually really good, probably second best after 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You absolutely should play Suikoden 1 before Suikoden 2. Several plot points and characters reoccur between the two, including a reoccuring villain who is only really interesting if you played Suikoden 1. There is also save carryover which allows access to a character you wouldn't get otherwise. It's a bit dated but not so dated you can't play it and it's relatively short and worth going through as it introduces a lot of the setting and concepts.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Alright perfect then, I'll get both Suikoden I & II on my Vita and start 'em. Should be fun, particularly cause I am going in completely blind.

Any other tidbits of information of things I need to know/avoid before playing? Like dont use so-and-so cause they are garbage or whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Alright perfect then, I'll get both Suikoden I & II on my Vita and start 'em. Should be fun, particularly cause I am going in completely blind.

Any other tidbits of information of things I need to know/avoid before playing? Like dont use so-and-so cause they are garbage or whatever

Don't stress out about leveling. The game is designed in a way where you can use anyone you want and they'll catch up in levels super quickly.

For Suikoden 1 at least you may want to use a FAQ to get characters. There are one or two who are completely and utter bullshit. (There are a couple in S2 too but they're a tiny bit less so.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Do the Suikoden 1 saves on the digital version transfer over to 2

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ImpAtom posted:

Don't stress out about leveling. The game is designed in a way where you can use anyone you want and they'll catch up in levels super quickly.

To expand on this a bit if you're underleveled you get several levels a fight (dozens, even) and as you approach the target level for the area the exp you get drops heavily. Grinding is the absolute dumbest thing to do.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It's been a while since I played 2 but isn't there a character that you can miss out on if you don't complete certain events within a (fairly generous) time limit? Clive maybe?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MockingQuantum posted:

It's been a while since I played 2 but isn't there a character that you can miss out on if you don't complete certain events within a (fairly generous) time limit? Clive maybe?

Not the character himself, but he has a side plot that requires you to reach certain places before a game clock time limit, IIRC. You definitely can get 108 stars without worrying about time.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I don't know how anyone can ever recommend not playing Suikoden 1 before 2. The connections between the two without being a direct sequel are just about the most satisfying to experience in the world of JRPGs.

Suikoden 1 is too stiff? Man up :colbert:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Suikoden one is also quite short. I think it's about 25 hours or so. It's a fast game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Not the character himself, but he has a side plot that requires you to reach certain places before a game clock time limit, IIRC. You definitely can get 108 stars without worrying about time.

Oh yeah, I remember that now.

I played Suikoden 1 & 2 back to back the first time I played them, and I'm really glad I did. I agree with the people saying it'd be a good idea, but I'd take it a step further to say that if you want to play Suikoden 1 at any point, doing it before you play 2 will probably be best, as it'll make you appreciate the game more, and if you played 2 then tried to go back to 1 at some point, it would feel pretty flat.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I don't think you NEED to play the first one before the second, because 2 does such a great job of establishing the world and the characters. That being said, yeah, there's a lot of callbacks and you will probably care more about some of the less important returning characters if you know their stories from the first one. If you've got the money and the time then yeah absolutely playing both in order is the way to go, but Suikoden 2 is still one of the best RPGs of that era even standing alone.

I guess this is a bigger concern for the dark ages when you had to track these down on eBay for a ridiculous price if you wanted to play them then now when they're on PSN.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 10, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Baby Babbeh posted:

I don't think you NEED to play the first one before the second, because 2 does such a great job of establishing the world and the characters. That being said, yeah, there's a lot of callbacks and you will probably care more about some of the less important returning characters if you know their stories from the first one. If you've got the money and the time then yeah absolutely playing both in order is the way to go, but Suikoden 2 is still one of the best RPGs of that era even standing alone.

I guess this is a bigger concern for the dark ages when you had to track these down on eBay for a ridiculous price if you wanted to play them then now when they're on PSN.

There is a sidequest only available if you import a save from the first game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Definitely okay Suikoden 1 before 2. I don't think it holds a candle to the second one, but I like it and I think it really makes 2 feel like a bigger deal. Suikoden 2 is a really good game and anything that enhances it is worth considering.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im playing langrisser IV and my eyes kinda glazed over during the tutorial and now im wondering if there's something im not getting because im having troubles. enemies always outnumber me but aren't any weaker and there doesn't seem to be any way to know how a battle's going to go when i start it

am i just dumb?

i can take it.

e: okay it's not that hard really, i just was stupid and left almost no money for troops on the map you need to stop any enemy from escaping

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 10, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Do the Suikoden 1 saves on the digital version transfer over to 2

Yes, I did this earlier.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I don't know how anyone can ever recommend not playing Suikoden 1 before 2. The connections between the two without being a direct sequel are just about the most satisfying to experience in the world of JRPGs.

Suikoden 1 is too stiff? Man up :colbert:

I've never played 1, but 2 is probably in my top ten favorite games ever. Not having played 1 won't diminish the enjoyment of 2 at all. 2 does such a good job of filling in the blanks, or simply having the blanks not matter that it stands on its own well enough.

Of course now that both can be had for 16 bucks, I guess there's no real reason to not play both.

Nickoten posted:

Definitely okay Suikoden 1 before 2. I don't think it holds a candle to the second one, but I like it and I think it really makes 2 feel like a bigger deal. Suikoden 2 is a really good game and anything that enhances it is worth considering.

gently caress it, if I can actually enhance one of my favorite games then I will. Gonna buy one come next paycheck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got to a scene in FF13 where they're saying "we can't find the intruders! code blue! code orange! wait which code color is it?? I don't know!!" and then the evil dictator stands up and says "CODE. WHITE" and everyones monocle flies off into space

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
The question that I haven't seen answered yet is did they fix up Suikoden 2 or is it still buggy as heck?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All signs point to it being the vanilla US version.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalR posted:

The question that I haven't seen answered yet is did they fix up Suikoden 2 or is it still buggy as heck?

I don't know if they fixed anything, but even if they didn't it's still less buggy than the majority of AAA games that came out this holiday :haw:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Endorph posted:

not prepubscent but its still lol

Man that is one hosed up stripper costume

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My favourite part of FFXIII is the trained police officer giving a child suffering from a very visible psychotic break a large knife and encouraging him to commit homicide.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite part of FFXIII is the trained police officer giving a child suffering from a very visible psychotic break a large knife and encouraging him to commit homicide.

mine is lightning punching snow in the face over and over

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mine was Snow punching the Ice or when Hope almost kills Snow or when Snow leaves the party for most of the game and only comes back when you have a better tank in Fang.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Snow was fine and Hope was a loving retard for wasting like 7 cutscenes saying it's wrong to hate Snow and killing him won't bring back his mom, but he does it anyway in the worst situation because he's a loving retarded kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
A loving retarded kid who commits boomerang genocide and then becomes the time travel Science President