Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, and I can see why someone would make that post? Obviously it's overdramatic and not strictly true (for one thing I don't think Japanese devs are targeting *white* dudes) but the fact is most western developers are white dudes making games for white dudes. Since you responded to that post with

Widestancer posted:

How does that demographic make your gaming experience worse at all

I'll try to answer. If development teams were more diverse, making games for more diverse audiences, then games would be more diverse. And I don't necessarily mean diverse in a 'look, there's a black dude' way, I mean that there would be a wider range of ideas coming in, which would lead to more variety in design, settings, themes, etc. Even if you couldn't give a poo poo about anything remotely related to story, it'd have an effect on the kind of games that are being made, mechanically.

For an example of what I mean, look at Hidden Object games. Those games are, from what I can tell, targeted at older women. Moms, basically. While I don't think they're really the pinnacle of game design, they represent a genre that came into existence solely because the devs were targeting a demographic besides dudes aged 18-36 - if they were targeting that demographic, after all, the games would probably be closer to 'escape the room' type games, with larger puzzles to solve and a more immediate conflict at hand. By making the decision a demographic that's both older, female, and assumed to have not played that many games, the game design changed from what would have been the norm.

this is the Gamesiest post ive ever made but basically, i dont know about that guy, but im not really saying 'kill all white dudes,' just 'it'd be cool if games had a wider variety of people making them, and were willing to go outside the box some in terms of design and story' peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

jesus christ

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

maybe the issue here is you're thinking that people saying that are trying to imply you shouldnt enjoy the game or it shouldnt exist when all they are doing is making an observation or analysis? like yes, actually people do analyse and look at pulp movies in that light because its interesting and important to critique stuff. that doesnt mean you cant enjoy it or it shouldnt exist though.

If you read the progression of some of the posts/threads we're talking about it becomes painfully obvious that the last thing going on is a level headed critique complete with intelligent discussion. That's when it becomes worthy of stepping in and mentioning Susan B Anthony making a drive by on some Balla bustas.

Which would be fun as hell.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
also in the absence of a "Serious Gaming Chat" forum, there is no where else to talk about it. IZ exists for people to post about games and specifically not have to talk about those things so i dont see the problem with it happening in the main forum like in every other "art" forum

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah, and I can see why someone would make that post? Obviously it's overdramatic and not strictly true (for one thing I don't think Japanese devs are targeting *white* dudes) but the fact is most western developers are white dudes making games for white dudes. Since you responded to that post with

I'll try to answer. If development teams were more diverse, making games for more diverse audiences, then games would be more diverse. And I don't necessarily mean diverse in a 'look, there's a black dude' way, I mean that there would be a wider range of ideas coming in, which would lead to more variety in design, settings, themes, etc. Even if you couldn't give a poo poo about anything remotely related to story, it'd have an effect on the kind of games that are being made, mechanically.

For an example of what I mean, look at Hidden Object games. Those games are, from what I can tell, targeted at older women. Moms, basically. While I don't think they're really the pinnacle of game design, they represent a genre that came into existence solely because the devs were targeting a demographic besides dudes aged 18-36 - if they were targeting that demographic, after all, the games would probably be closer to 'escape the room' type games, with larger puzzles to solve and a more immediate conflict at hand. By making the decision a demographic that's both older, female, and assumed to have not played that many games, the game design changed from what would have been the norm.

this is the Gamesiest post ive ever made but basically, i dont know about that guy, but im not really saying 'kill all white dudes,' just 'it'd be cool if games had a wider variety of people making them, and were willing to go outside the box some in terms of design and story' peace

:cripes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah im gonna go hang myself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i enjoyed that post endorph

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

i enjoyed that post endorph
that makes me feel even worse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

also in the absence of a "Serious Gaming Chat" forum, there is no where else to talk about it. IZ exists for people to post about games and specifically not have to talk about those things so i dont see the problem with it happening in the main forum like in every other "art" forum

Well, there are problems with it. Supermechagodzilla (to use a Cinema Discusso example) can derail a thread like a freight train hitting a brick wall, but most people aren't even ironically Supermechagodzilla.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

I think if people made threads for it not only would it be an experiment to see if that's what people actually want to do (talk about social issues in gaming without going full retard LF about it) but it would also make for easier moderation and navigation.

This gets back to the "people should make threads" thing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Endorph posted:

So diversity means more lovely Facebook games made for grandmas. Sweet, where the gently caress do I sign up?

gently caress, I agree with your premise (diversity is good) but what a lovely example.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah im gonna go hang myself

I see where you were going with that post though and the sane part of me agrees, actually.

This is a good example of why maybe someone should make a social issues thread.

Just don't make it suck like last time and understand that it's probably going to get mocked like crazy until it produces some good poo poo.

It will produce good poo poo just maybe not in the intended manner.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Widestancer posted:

I think if people made threads for it not only would it be an experiment to see if that's what people actually want to do (talk about social issues in gaming without going full retard LF about it) but it would also make for easier moderation and navigation.

This gets back to the "people should make threads" thing.

but i think in this case its probably a thing where anyone who is thinking of making a thread like that assumes it will get poo poo on by a few people who hate that stuff and/or cause a headache at some point in the future. i dont see an issue with it just occurring naturally instead as long as it doesnt cause issues for mods

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

So diversity means more lovely Facebook games made for grandmas. Sweet, where the gently caress do I sign up?

gently caress, I agree with your premise (diversity is good) but what a lovely example.
hidden object games were the only example i could think of

Widestancer posted:

I see where you were going with that post though and the sane part of me agrees, actually.

This is a good example of why maybe someone should make a social issues thread.

Just don't make it suck like last time and understand that it's probably going to get mocked like crazy until it produces some good poo poo.

It will produce good poo poo just maybe not in the intended manner.

thank you for not doubting me.

Anyway if someone wanted a legit social issues thread it'd need to be heavily moderated, which this forum seems to be going away from wanting, so it'd probably be a hilarious argument for 50 pages then get gassed

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i really like the diversity of grandmas in cookie clicker

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zen death robot posted:

I, for one, think Grand Theft Auto - a game with dress up options for running around in cowboy boots, a stained shirt and underwear while holding up a convenience store and escaping in a stolen F16 - as a perfect opportunity to have a serious discussion about gender representation issues in video games. I also ate lead paint chips in my youth, I'm certain these do not correlate at all.

lol this is a v dumb post, like even films like the aforementioned texas chainsaw massacre, a camp as gently caress pulp film, has huge amounts of indepth analysis. in fact those types of titles generally engender more discussion as the hyperbolic depictions they contain can signify cultural and societal trends and changes

Endorph posted:

Anyway if someone wanted a legit social issues thread it'd need to be heavily moderated, which this forum seems to be going away from wanting, so it'd probably be a hilarious argument for 50 pages then get gassed

yeah basically

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

For all of your social issues in gaming needs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686976

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

The past few times this has been tried have ended up in bowen.txt so

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Nofriendo Entertainment Zone is a funny name, but could you put somewhere in it's description that it's for LP's? Especially if anyone is worried about declining numbers. I haven't been to the LP forum in years, but it used to bring in some new blood and I could see some people thinking the forum is gone now from a cursory glance then not bothering to get past the paywall to check.

It'll also prevent it from becoming a giant circlejerk of the same posters making LP's with each other for each other, which happened from time to time when I used to do LPs.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Endorph posted:

hidden object games were the only example i could think of

Portal would probably be a good example.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

i dont think this is a great idea but i also dont wanna continue derailing this thread so i guess lets just see what happens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Portal would probably be a good example.
oh poo poo yeah it would be huh

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Blister posted:

but it used to bring in some new blood

someone needs to make a new dangan ronpa lp

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

i dont think this is a great idea but i also dont wanna continue derailing this thread so i guess lets just see what happens

It's probably a terrible idea but that will be part of the charm. Either way, we win.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Here's something to reset the discussion on content.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
if you see someone posting like a dork you should call them a dork instead of coming to a thread like this to complain about dorks imo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yall dorks

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Awesome! posted:

someone needs to make a new dangan ronpa lp

That thread brought a lot of creepy and weird stuff, but it did also bring attention to SA in a way that hadn't been seen in a long time which had to have given us a few decent posters. Stuff like Research Indicates Trespasser LP is loving impressive stuff and Let's Plays are a consistent source of real content creation from Games posters instead of memes about bowser saying friend of the family or bitching about Uplay.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Blister posted:

consistent source of real content creation from Games posters instead of memes about bowser saying friend of the family

Those images created were art.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

There used to be a stickied thread about what games the mods were playing and I think Louisgod(?) even posted his Wii Fit progress chart in it and I thought you should bring that back Kewpuh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elf help book posted:

There used to be a stickied thread about what games the mods were playing and I think Louisgod(?) even posted his Wii Fit progress chart in it and I thought you should bring that back Kewpuh.
I agree, bring back Louisgod's wii fit progress chart

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

elf help book posted:

This is a really good idea.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Whenever some Tumblrite gets caremad about "all" video games being made for "white dudes," what they mean is "I'm outraged <50 yearly big budget titles for specialized hardware caters to the people who have traditionally bought these bloated, overproduced things." They limit their data set to AAA and ignore the hundreds of other titles made for all platforms, because God forbid the stupid 50 million dollar linear shooter not be empowering to the Jezebel.com writers (and aspirings) who probably weren't going to buy it anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

bloodysabbath posted:

Whenever some Tumblrite gets caremad about "all" video games being made for "white dudes," what they mean is "I'm outraged <50 yearly big budget titles for specialized hardware caters to the people who have traditionally bought these bloated, overproduced things." They limit their data set to AAA and ignore the hundreds of other titles made for all platforms, because God forbid the stupid 50 million dollar linear shooter not be empowering to the Jezebel.com writers (and aspirings) who probably weren't going to buy it anyway.

please take this to the social issues thread so i can destroy this dumb argument thanks bye

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

:chanpop:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bloodysabbath posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

bloodysabbath posted:

lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Stux posted:

please take this to the social issues thread so i can destroy this dumb argument thanks bye

please confine stux to the social issues thread from now on

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

oh god what have I done, I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lyer posted:

oh god what have I done, I'm sorry

• Locked thread