Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It seems like they would bring him out to jam on an "Icebreaker" or The Choke" encore, but maybe it's not that kind of tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hatelull posted:

It seems like they would bring him out to jam on an "Icebreaker" or The Choke" encore, but maybe it's not that kind of tour.

I'm kind of glad they didn't because I would be super jealous then :)

I've seen FLA and Skinny Puppy a few times (FLA was my first show when I was ...15 I think. Tactical Neural Implant tour) and I thought I was pretty much done but this tour got super intriguing with the addition of FLA.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I take small comfort in the fact that it's pretty much note for note, the Shapes for Arms tour I saw earlier this year with some minor changes to the set list. If they were doing something eye popping (like dropping a "Spasmolytic" or anything off of Last Rights) I'd probably be hating myself for not trying to make a trip to another state to see them.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 4, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're probably just getting old. It seems like once bands hit a certain age their setlists get very predictable, 1-2 songs off the new album and the rest mostly greatest hits, with very little variation from night to night.

Thankfully Covenant seems hellbent on avoiding this fate. Their strategy is 50% writing good new songs and 50% getting new and old in with 2 hour concerts. :q:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

mennoknight posted:

Leeb is definitely getting old. It doesn't help that FLA just isn't that plum good.

When I saw them on the previous tour, some folk were claiming Leeb was miming a lot of the newer songs. Hopefully that wasn't true :(

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thankfully Covenant seems hellbent on avoiding this fate. Their strategy is 50% writing good new songs and 50% getting new and old in with 2 hour concerts. :q:

And being so drunk they can't talk to the crowd without slurring, and also forgetting some of their own lyrics :v:

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Is it just me or were Youth Code tweaking their way through that 20 minute set? I mean it was a decent performance but neither of them could sit still for more than a second.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

SacrificialGoat posted:

Is it just me or were Youth Code tweaking their way through that 20 minute set? I mean it was a decent performance but neither of them could sit still for more than a second.

They do drink a lot of coffee.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Looks like And One is really good about this, they really seem to think about their fans when planning their tours. A while back they posted this on their Facebook, I'm paraphrasing the German text here:

And One posted:

What are AND ONE Partner Cities?

A bit of a surprise for the people attending the AND ONE - FOREVER TOUR were the extremely different setlists. For that tour we figured certain cities could be considered "partner cities", for example Leipzig and Dresden. In Leipzig we played 20 songs that we didn't play in Dresden, and vice versa. This meant that those of our fans in the area who came to see us twice got to see at least 20 songs they wouldn't have seen in the other city. All the concerts were different.

I've personally traveled along to see my favorite bands' tours a couple of times and was always a little disappointed to get the exact same set every time. That's something I wanted to do differently, although it did mean a lot more work for us. But in the end it's a lot more fun to do it this way, and every concert is one-of-a-kind for us as well.

It's a simple concept - we'll take Potsdam and Berlin as an example. There are absolutely going to be fans there who're going to see both shows already because they're so close to each other. That's why we've decided these cities to be AND ONE Partner Cities. Here's a picture illustrating the five city pairs we've decided on for this tour.

In those cities with no partner city, like Hamburg or Munich, we'll just play a big cross-cut of the entire tour. It also wouldn't surprise me if those shows just happen to go on a little longer as well ;)

With [our new trilogy of albums] Trilogie 1 we've got so many new fantastic songs that we just have to play, and in addition to the new tracks, this time we'll be reworking a whole ton of old classics for the tour. We're going to have plenty of surprises in store for you guys on this tour.

That's loving exactly how to do this poo poo, especially if you're someone like And One and have about five billion songs in your back catalogue.

This is also what I personally want to do with my own music. I don't plan on ever playing the same set twice.

edit: Also of note: It looks like And One has gone into a really terrifying live mode in the past couple of years. The AND ONE FOREVER TOUR shows seem to have had around 50 songs EACH, and from what I heard, lasted three hours. And the final show in Berlin had over 60 loving songs and lasted four hours (look at this poo poo!!!). That is genuinely loving insane and I hope their upcoming tour is as crazy.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2014

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Woah, that is really cool of them to do. Except 3 hours of a single band would get tiring for me personally, no matter how much I liked them.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

elektroboot posted:

Woah, that is really cool of them to do. Except 3 hours of a single band would get tiring for me personally, no matter how much I liked them.

Yeah, it sounds pretty crazy, especially since they had supporting bands each night. But hey, I guess you could always leave after you've got your money's worth or go hang a little bit back or something if you've been dancing for several hours in a row.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also I want to mention that Turmion Kätilöt was pretty shameful with their sets at some point. After U.S.C.H! they played pretty much the exact same set for three years which kind of burned me out on their live shows for a long time. Looks like they've been mixing it up more lately, though, maybe I need to start seeing them more again.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Turmion Kätilöt

That's too bad, I like what I've heard of youtube. But they've already achieved success, so why try? :v: Also turn down your volume before clicking that.

I'd see them if they came by my part of the U.S. just because of that gif I saw years ago.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Haujobb Twitter feed is pretty funny right now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hautax? Lowjobb? Youth Tax? Low Code?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Feeling unfulfilled...no Assimilate encore at the STL show :(

What's up with his walking boot though?!

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

vivisectvnv posted:

Feeling unfulfilled...no Assimilate encore at the STL show :(

What's up with his walking boot though?!

We got Smothered Hope which is just as good imho. No idea about the footwear, I assumed he just hurt his foot or something.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

SacrificialGoat posted:

We got Smothered Hope which is just as good imho. No idea about the footwear, I assumed he just hurt his foot or something.

He twisted his ankle after the show in Toronto.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Cliche Guevara posted:

NYC? I wasn't feeling Haujobb or FLA but SP's sound was loving BANGING. I think Ken "Hiwatt" Marshall is at the board again...

Unless they're playing in a cave, Hiwatt is always an absolute maestro.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to be able to see Skinny Puppy, FLA, Haujobb and Youth Code. But I got to see Statiqbloom. They should put him on the next tour because that poo poo was loving good.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Woooooo just got my Squid Icarus download code, apparently there was also a bonus track for backers!

Oh and the new Rotersand album has been out for a few weeks, mostly good and of course Electric Elephant is quality but the title track is oddly not good, it's like they penned one of those weird EBM anti-mass media screeds and whoops forgot to write a bassline whooooops

Will link it whenever I get home

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eisbrecher just canceled their Beatcon event on Facebook.

If this means the whole festival is falling apart, I wouldn't be surprised. I loving knew it it'd be a terrible idea to organize something like this

a) in Finland, where there's a very limited audience for this kind of music
b) in Jyväskylä, which is an unremarkable city nowhere near Helsinki or Tampere where most of the possible audience for a festival like this would be
c) most damning of all - without apparently knowing your audience. I haven't seen a single post about the festival on any of the Finnish scene forums, so it looks like the people organizing the thing have no idea who they should've been selling the event to.

It's like Alt-Fest all over again, but in Finland :(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mean jesus loving christ if the festival actually gets cancelled. Not just because I'll lose my chance to see a ton of my favorite bands in Finland, but because the EXACT SAME THING happened earlier this year with Alt-Fest. Didn't these people know about it? Didn't they learn anything about it? If they didn't, how are they so entirely oblivious about things that are happening in the scenes they want to operate in, and to the kind of bands they're trying to book?

JEsus goddamn I could've organized the drat thing better myself and I have very limited knowledge of organizing anything larger than a big party. Idiots.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 15, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Delicious scene drama news: Apparently the new frontman of Funker Vogt is Sacha Korn who is, well, a bit of a nazi. Out of Line is not particularly enthusiastic about the idea.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I Die: You Die posted their Friends of ID:UD year end roundup!*

quote:

Hola, chochachos! It’s about that time of the year that we here at I Die: You Die start wrapping things up with our various end of year lists, articles, and podcasts, and as is tradition we’re kicking it off with some contributions from various friends of the site. We pick a bunch of folks we know from our community of musicians, podcasters, writers, label folks and whoever else and ask ‘em to write up an album they like. It doesn’t have to be their favorite or what they consider “the best” LP of the year, just something they’d like to write a few words about. It’s always one of our favourite parts of rounding the year off, mostly because it hips us to a bunch of albums we may have been sleeping on and gives us some different perspectives on some records we have heard. Enormous thanks are due to all of our contributors, and if y’all like what you read below, please make sure to check out some of the albums mentioned!

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2014/12/friends-of-i-die-you-die-year-end-round-up-2014/

*Including an album recommendation from me!**

**This footnote is brought to you by ethics in industrial music journalism.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Delicious scene drama news: Apparently the new frontman of Funker Vogt is Sacha Korn who is, well, a bit of a nazi. Out of Line is not particularly enthusiastic about the idea.

Also his voice just doesn't sound as good as Jens does. I loving love Funker Vogt, but their schtick was only ever going to last so long and it's getting kinda tired now so I'd be happy for that project to be put to bed rather than keep going with a new singer to be honest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I don't know much about Funker Vogt, but isn't being anti-militarism kind of their big thing?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Also his voice just doesn't sound as good as Jens does. I loving love Funker Vogt, but their schtick was only ever going to last so long and it's getting kinda tired now so I'd be happy for that project to be put to bed rather than keep going with a new singer to be honest.

Particularly a new singer who is a loving Nazi.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you told me Give Me One More Chance to Get the Hi-Score, Then We Can Go was programmed by Adam Goren, I'd believe it. Serious Atom and His Package nostalgia listening to that.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Youth Code is headlining a show at St Vitus in BK next month after this tour wraps.

I'm certain the sound will actually be plugged in this time.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
More industrial year-end roundups:

amodelofcontrol.com albums of the year

I Die: You Die's top 25 of 2014, part 1

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Some of the stuff in the first link reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while - when I got into industrial, it was through the metal scene, coming in via Ministry and Nine Inch Nails, so a lot of mates were into Godflesh and extreme metal or whatever. A few years later, Rammstein and Marilyn Manson were the way some friends got into it. At peak futurepop and when electroclash was sort of a thing, I know a few folk who kinda came in via the techno end of things and at festivals I've met people who kinda ended up discovering more rhythmic noise stuff through dubstep/breakcore scenes.

How do newcomers to industrial (or whatever you want to call it) get into it these days? I don't mean this in any kind of pejorative "oh my god these young folk what are they like?!" way - it's genuine curiousity since most of my mates in the scene are a pretty similar age so I don't know where the entry points into all this are.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

Some of the stuff in the first link reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while - when I got into industrial, it was through the metal scene, coming in via Ministry and Nine Inch Nails, so a lot of mates were into Godflesh and extreme metal or whatever. A few years later, Rammstein and Marilyn Manson were the way some friends got into it. At peak futurepop and when electroclash was sort of a thing, I know a few folk who kinda came in via the techno end of things and at festivals I've met people who kinda ended up discovering more rhythmic noise stuff through dubstep/breakcore scenes.

How do newcomers to industrial (or whatever you want to call it) get into it these days? I don't mean this in any kind of pejorative "oh my god these young folk what are they like?!" way - it's genuine curiousity since most of my mates in the scene are a pretty similar age so I don't know where the entry points into all this are.

I personally got into industrial through punk and hardcore when I discovered Atari Teenage Riot.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I was coming from more mainstream electro and trance stuff, particularly psytrance. Though I was also listening to some metal at the time, and this seemed like a good combination.
Psytrance does seem particularly popular among people listening to industrial/noise that I know, and it makes sense to me. Weird sounds, whee!

I don't know about the kids these days. There seems to be more interaction between genres. Like Combichrist on the Rammstein tour, and I'm seeing a bunch of general alternative festivals with metal, industrial, goth, d&b / electronic hardcore and other alternative things all scheduled together, so there could be all sorts of crossovers where people see something new that they like at such an event.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Prodigy and Nine Inch Nails for me. I was the kid in high school with the baggy jeans. And industrial metal like Ministry, KMFDM and Strapping Young Lad.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Funny that you should ask about this while quoting that link because I literally met the guy who runs/is amodelofcontrol at uni, he was dating someone I shared halls with, and they introduced me to it. Of course that was a good number of years ago so doesn't really answer your question, I introduced a fair few people to stuff while in alt. music societies while I was still at uni as a post-graduate though.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

I am an old. This is how I started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_83wJdhEM

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

NIN, PWEI & KMFDM for me.

All were played on the local radio, but I got to PWEI mostly because they were associated with a childhood fave, Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Particularly a new singer who is a loving Nazi.

FV's latest statement is maybe a tiny bit revealing since they refer to their detractors as "left wing freaks". Oh well. :doh:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I'm quite glad that I'd lost interest in them years ago now.

Oh those left-wing freaks not liking nazism! It's political correctness gone mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's good seeing Wulfband on there- I think that was my favorite thing I heard this year.