Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the damage from this isn't comparable to the damage from braver PAs (my highest class is braver, but only level 56), but you can just do it all day, and if you're in danger fall back and use some (weakened) magic attacks at range on all the PP you built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep that sounds right. At the sacrifice of being able to 'burst' DPS to a high value you can spread it out more overtime, and as a bonus you also make a decent (though not the best) support class.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Everything pales in comparison to the total insanity of Bouncer's Photon Blade Fever with maxed out ranks, but that's pretty obviously broken. Melee Braver is plenty good at the high end, since you put out damage and regain PP extremely fast, and if you've got animation cancelling and guard timing down, you're only vulnerable for an extremely short time. Hunter is solid in any situation barring extreme long range, with lots of variety in PAs to make up for being stuck with the max damage Fury Stance build. Good damage and defense, with excellent versatility, and great sub-class potential for non-tech main. Fighter is more fiddly because of positioning, but it has a bunch of skills for synergy with tech classes as well as melee classes, and it has a bunch of cool mechanics and animations for PAs. Even without going for Limit Break you can still stack up some impressive multipliers and the weapons all have very different styles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I was gonna ask, I usually bind a dash type attack to the first PA, but just with the sword, there doesn't seem to be anything like that, just that lame one-hit sword throw thing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They actually made Guard Stance sort of viable in a hosed up way by making the guard stance latent give you a really fat damage bonus whenever you have it up. You almost get the same numbers as Fury Stance but you have to just guard something every 20 seconds.

The Zieg sword has the latent and I thought about trying it but then I remembered it wouldn't let you use Fury Gear Boost so I did not try it out of disgust.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask, I usually bind a dash type attack to the first PA, but just with the sword, there doesn't seem to be anything like that, just that lame one-hit sword throw thing.

Buy a Guilty Break disc from a player shop.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Triple gear charge is definitely way too good to pass up, especially when you're using Swords.

I really love All Guard, too. I hope that one latent that makes Just Counters do 700% weapon damage shows up on some katana at some point, because I ground up a Rosa Hind to try it out and its super fun oneshotting trash with it. Quick Mate on Braver is also fantastic value, it cuts the animation by a huge amount, so you can usually chug mates mid-fight without worrying about getting doubled up. You can make yourself absurdly hard to kill as a Br/Hu or Hu/Br combo without having to dump all your points in the Guard Stance tree.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
If you don't have any t-atk on your mag then yeah your techs are gonna suck as Te/Br. I personally have completely abandoned Average Stance for Weak Stance, but I can say that with either my 63 t-atk 127 dex mag or my ol' apus with it's 40/40/60/50 spread; my techs are just as effective when I need them to be.

As for bonking itself, it still owns. But it is relatively gear dependant farther down into XH and UQs, as an example, my ice wand is elysion, so you are not going to see me bonking much in UQs until anga shows up, but that's a bit risky too. You most certainly want a bonk stick in every element; for elemental weak hit and weak stance, but that might be hard to do if you can't buy things with passes. Still, I'll run down some good bonking sticks here.

Loveless One for wand reactor boost, a crafted Dagash Wand is also acceptable too.
Gwana in XH can drop the new Traitor Cage or whatever it's called. But it imitates Attack Advance so it is good too.
The C(l/r)ess Digger series wands have weapon JA boost, and you are at least able to buy 2 of the 3 without passes, even though it is the weaker potential next to these others. Zieg's wand has this potential too, so that just means that you go with the craft mastery potential on it instead.
There are some fury stance boosting ones, but I haven't bothered with them. Which is weird considering that I Actually Play Hu/Te a lot.

Onto the subject of hunter; yeah sword without Fury Gear is a pain, but I liked swords before that skill existed so I know how to get by without it. Heck the other day I let fury run out during Trick or Treat (which is apparently still in) and it took me a few minutes to realize that I was having a harder time getting sword gear up! For me the secret is using an uncharged Guilty Break or two, getting to level 2, then a half-charge would get me to 3 I think. Zieg's sword has that guard stance potential, but so does Zapper Edge, so keep that in mind when in 2 weeks when we get XH Volcanic Guerillas (or run SHAQs). I'll check swiki if any other hunter weapon has it (Packer Vogue has it too, but it is a non-Hu-able DS)

EDIT: Whoops Zapper and Packer have the Absorption potential not gaurd stance, I keep forgetting that

EDIT2: oh... The entire Fan/Fen/Fobi line of hunter weapons and gunslashes have the gaurd stance potential :staredog:
Also the Salvador rods that have a shield on them got it too :v:

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 1, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you're going to use a strength crystal wand extend a Magical Wand because it owns and you get the Love & Peace title for +10ing it.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So, playing PS Nova.

Everyone is covered in photon duct tape.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

InfinityComplex posted:

So, playing PS Nova.

Everyone is covered in photon duct tape.
Yeah, but other Vita games I have played look about like that too. Maybe it makes it look better on a small screen or something.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, but other Vita games I have played look about like that too. Maybe it makes it look better on a small screen or something.

I think they are referring to the literal tape/bandages covering thier damaged outfits.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh wow, I was way off, I thought it was some weird reference to that lighting effect that I have seen on most of the (few) Vita games I have played.

edit: is that new boss fight on Harukotan being added with this update, or another one?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 3, 2014

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh wow, I was way off, I thought it was some weird reference to that lighting effect that I have seen on most of the (few) Vita games I have played.

edit: is that new boss fight on Harukotan being added with this update, or another one?

The new boss comes with the late December update, I think. This one is the Christmas EQ and XH Fang Banther/Invasion

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/spend-christmas-with-phantasy-star-online-2/

That's what is in the update.

2 weeks until Magatsu, Dev stream on the 14th at 1am EST where they fail miserably at it, and give us a look ahead beyond into the new year.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Nova update:

ROCKET RAPPY

Edit: Update: DINOSAURS WITH GUNS FOR ARMS
ANOTHER UPDATE: ROCKET RAPPIES REDUX

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 5, 2014

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
People complaining about not being able to switch to their (normal/Lambda/Dio) Browlette or Monkey/Black King Bar (or Meteor Cudgel, or now Madam's Umbrella) before opening boss crystals made SEGA just throw their arms up and shout "OK FINE HERE"

some future update will change it so that as long as you have those weapons in your inventory with even level 1 of their item-drop-related potentials unlocked, you will always have level 3 active.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225698

(direct link: http://pso2.jp/players/support/measures/?id=4900)

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Guess I need to get a hold of a Monkey King Bar now.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I know it's poor etiquette, but I've always hated the whole waiting game with those potentials. Good riddance.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Surprise Noodle posted:

I know it's poor etiquette, but I've always hated the whole waiting game with those potentials. Good riddance.

Now you get to wait for people to switch to their Umblla Sticks!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I hated that Bullet Keep didn't work with gunslashes so I had to throw away any left over weak bullets during a Bayaribbles encounter or risk getting screwed over by an unboxed drop.

I wonder if this'll work even when you're dead while the crystal drops. That would relieve so much stress in UQs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlR-jQXgVuI

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 10, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Holy gently caress. :vince: drat you for sending me into an uncontrollable coughing fit

Reco fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 10, 2014

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Kirby, you can have all my maces of adaman anyday. :3:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That rare drop noise on each impact :allears:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Thank you

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fantastic, now do it again with this clip.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Fantastic, now do it again with this clip.

I'll see what I can do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, blue and red weapons just don't have the high damage clustering bonus that other seven star weapons do, and that's just double-hidden since that stat is already hidden anyway? Is there any particular reason for that? Some in-joke I am not getting?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

They're super common filler weapons that were designed as a cheap stopgap option to bootstrap into VH/SH, and the large damage range was to make sure that they're usable to get started with but have a large incentive to upgrade. They're pointless now that cash is much easier to come by and superior 9 star weapons are available at rock bottom prices.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Protocol 5 posted:

They're super common filler weapons that were designed as a cheap stopgap option to bootstrap into VH/SH, and the large damage range was to make sure that they're usable to get started with but have a large incentive to upgrade. They're pointless now that cash is much easier to come by and superior 9 star weapons are available at rock bottom prices.
Yeah, on advice I just bought a Karisizuma or however you spell it. Dudu's RNG did not favor me though so like fifty grinders later it's still sitting at +8, it's not quite going to beat my crafted katana like that.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

It gets a lot easier once you're capable of doing super hard. The first time up sucks because scaling for rewards is pretty bad, and while you're still leveling your mag, you can have a hard time equipping decent gear. Once you can do the orders that give big cash rewards and get around 650 ATK/400 DEX, things open up a lot.

For affixing weapons, I strongly recommend using +1 risk reducers for grinding weapons high base cost weapons, since they end up saving you a huge amount of money in the long run. High end 10 and 11 star weapons will eat 100+ grinders no problem even with using risk reducers.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Remember to always use Dudu when grinding/affixing because Monica is objectively worse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Remember to always use Dudu when grinding/affixing because Monica is objectively worse.

G-gomen ne..

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You're not saying it without enough orgasm.

Could be worse.

YOSH YOSH YOSH YOSH TOTEMO YOOOOSH

(turn off all voices)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

Could be worse.

YOSH YOSH YOSH YOSH TOTEMO YOOOOSH

(turn off all voices)

Please be nice to Karin

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Blue, and I suppose red too, weapons desynth into a shitload of materials.

So between those, rocks to get those 6-slotted weapons for affixing fodder, and the mission-specific PA discs, SHAQs are still relevant

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there seriously nothing to be done about one of the superhard blocks being completely full during EQs and all the others being empty? I just attempted a SH base defense solo. I got to wave 3.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

you can try going to the vita blocks and see if you can get an mpa there, but thats about it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sign in early, idle. Or Vita blocks. I've often wound up on the Vita blocks lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You can go wherever you want, with premium.

• Locked thread