Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

it seems naive to think that GL has no influence on star wars imo

im not saying i know for a fact that he does, but jj abrams probably worships the guy

I wouldn't really take anything Lucas has to say at face value.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/12/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

quote:

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

The anzati were an race of vampires. I'll put everything about them in list form.

1. Fed on brains. They called it "soup".
2. Had retractable and hidden tentacles that entered a victims nose.
3. Semi-immortal.
4. Often talented as they had thousands of years to do whatever.
5. The perfect predator.
6. Blended into normal society.
7. Were thought of as a myth.

You can tell a nerdy writer was coming up with their ultimate serial killer.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You can really tell some hack needed a thing for his next novel and went digging through the monster manual on his shelf :eng99:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode 4-6 had good laser sword fights as they had an actual swordsman do the fights instead of those dancing bitches you see everywhere else. gently caress hitting anything, lets just dance the 12 rounds instead, I am sure they won't notice we aren't fighting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dog buttz posted:

The anzati were an race of vampires. I'll put everything about them in list form.

1. Fed on brains. They called it "soup".
2. Had retractable and hidden tentacles that entered a victims nose.

3. Semi-immortal.
4. Often talented as they had thousands of years to do whatever.
5. The perfect predator.
6. Blended into normal society.
7. Were thought of as a myth.

You can tell a nerdy writer was coming up with their ultimate serial killer.

nose sucking? NOSE SUCKING? laaaame

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

david... posted:

how does the eu explain why lightsabers aren't infinitely long, how do you stop them and make them come to a rounded point, those claws are ok but i want one on each finger, 20 ft laser fingers and thumbs just waving their hands over a battlefield

Lightsabers aren't actually lasers they're circular plasma streams contained inside a magnetic field which cycle tons and tons of times per second like an energy buzz saw or something.

At least that's basically what the EU says.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fetus Tree posted:

why are you posting itt if you dont like star wars

Somebody doesn't have to like the extended universe, or even core star wars, to enjoy the misery of people that take this poo poo too seriously.

Wicker Man posted:

I just can't unhear Darth Goku.

It was always the 'dook' part I couldn't hear past. Count Poopy.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Count Pupu, meet Darth Ikki

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I don't think anyone got laid during the course of the original films

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Whatev posted:

luke almost game of throned his sister

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The balance of the Force thing aint that stupid because the "Light Side" is the natural state of the Force and the Dark Side is a corruption. This is pretty obvious in the original films. It's why KOTOR 2's Force stuff is stupid.

Also the rest of the EU.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Groovelord Neato posted:

The balance of the Force thing aint that stupid because the "Light Side" is the natural state of the Force and the Dark Side is a corruption. This is pretty obvious in the original films. It's why KOTOR 2's Force stuff is stupid.

Also the rest of the EU.

why call it "the balance" then
a balance is not having none of one thing and only another

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's imbalanced because the corruption weighs an end down or something. Lucas is poo poo but thinking it meant two of Jedi and two of the other is stupid and means you didn't understand the Force in the movies.

There aint two sides of the Force, there's the Force and then a corruption. I guess he means balanced in a zen way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Acne Rain posted:

why call it "the balance" then
a balance is not having none of one thing and only another

:colbert:

Considering that "bringing balance to the Force" was the central driving theme of the two trilogies it's pretty damned ridiculous that none of the characters ever actually explained what the gently caress that meant, or exactly where that concept came from and why it was so damned important, or what effect it would have. Dumb EU explanations don't count for poo poo, it should have been made completely explicit in the films.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 9, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Considering that "bringing balance to the Force" was the central driving theme of the two trilogies it's pretty damned ridiculous that none of the characters ever actually explained what the gently caress that meant, or exactly where that concept came from and why it was so damned important, or what effect it would have. Dumb EU explanations don't count for poo poo, it should have been made completely explicit in the films.

Remember star wars when it was a standard heroes journey but in space with some cool characters and a small part of it was about this weird side religion thing that gave you magic powers if you were really careful but it was mostly a state of mind thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i mean you could say some synonym of "pure" or "healthy" or something, but when you say "balance" people think of a friggin scale and think of the two pans and two force sides everyone always talks about.

balance is an incredibly poor choice of words for a prophecy that came out of nowhere that's supposed to take credit for everything that happened in the OT (i loving hate prophecies)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean it blows because it makes Anakin into the central character and savior when that isn't the case in the good movies. And also prophecies suck.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
every god drat thing that says "balance" is usually dumb and/or vague about what that actually means. Like druids in D&D being mandated to good and bad poo poo in order to stay neutral.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
i eat a balanced diet, half healthy stuff and half bacon cheeseburgers and deep-fried candy bars. but i can't understand why i'm so fat! :qq:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
the balance there is referring to various nutrients, what variety is there among the light side jedi to balance

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

the balance there is referring to various nutrients, what variety is there among the light side jedi to balance

Balanced number of lightsabers ?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Acne Rain posted:

good point, it's a poor analogy. perhaps this one is better:

john is a balanced person, he only punches people in the face with no provocation about half the time

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

"Conceived by the force" I think.

The Force is the milkman of Star Wars.

He was created by Darth Plagueis (*snicker*) through Sith voodoo or something, because Plagueis (*chortle*) thought it would be awesome to create life because defying suspiciously Christian ideas of what is humanity's natural place in the world is scary and Dark Side-ish.

Also Darth Plagueis BWAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT'S HIS NAME

So yeah, George Lucas even has to gently caress up the Virgin Birth of Jesus by adding a whole pile of backstory and killing any sense of magic or mystery in it.

E: I don't care if someone posted it before because I can't stop laughing at the name Darth Plagueis.

burritolingus posted:

So they apparently got "Dooku" from "doku," the Japanese word for poison. Should have just stayed with Doku. Also supposedly Dooku means "from the rear end" in Portuguese, so he's called "Dookan" in the Brazilian version. Also a better name.

Actually "Doku" is even closer. The Portuguese is do cu so "doku" would sound exactly the same.

But Dooku might still be worse because it sounds like "dookie".

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how one of the Sith Lords is just Darth Bane. Like, they didn't even do anything to disguise it like they did with Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Darth Nihlus, or Sav'aj O'press. They just threw their hands up in the air and said, "He's the bane of the Jedi. Darth Bane. We're loving done here."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supposedly they enlist the help of the Dark Side to literally make their names up on the spot.

Also Nihlus was the guy from Mass Effect 1 who got shot, the Sith Lord from KOTOR is Nihilus, because Latin nihil ("nothing") isn't Latiny enough.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
At least Darth Vader and Darth Revan sound cool. The rest range from dull to lame.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Darth Vader doesn't count because it was before the whole Darth thing and before anyone had thought of the idea of Vader being Luke's father so it was just the guy's name in the original movie.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

p sure the early jedi used lightsabers that were hooked up to backpack batteries in order to beat the early sith that used alchemically hardened samurai swords to fight them with

A sword attached permanently by a lanyard to a big heavy weight on your back is the worst sword ever.

But really if you were to actually follow the idea of Jedi = Edo period samurai established in the first movie and not completely gently caress it up like Lucas fucks up everything, the lightsaber is a "weapon for a more civilized age" precisely because it is a flashy toy that is mostly useless on the battlefield. The whole bushido poo poo came around in the 1600s and 1700s when Japan was at peace and samurai were just rich landowners extracting rents from the peasants. They got rid of the real weapons (guns, of which Japan had the best in the world in the 1500s) because they didn't need them and because the warlords' gigantic armies of commoner soldiers could use them to overthrow the samurai and daimyo and abolish feudalism and of course they couldn't have that.

So what I'm saying is when you think about it, the whole point of the samurai swords was that they were stupid and when your mid-level nobility have stupid weapons that are fancy and flashy but not really useful for anything besides duels and your peasants have no weapon at all, your position at the top is pretty secure. Kind of causes problems though when smelly hairy pale people from the west have been working on their real weapons for the past 250 and you haven't though. Much like samurai swords, lightsabers would, if the setting made any sense, have been a big thing in the "more civilized age" because of what they couldn't do more than what they could.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 10, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

A sword attached permanently by a lanyard to a big heavy weight on your back is the worst sword ever.

To be fair, any sword is stupid when guns exist but we let it slide because someone occasionally wiping out a laser sword looks pretty sweet.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
speaking of dumb names

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Having perfectly symmetrical cancer is really something.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also the rest of the EU.

This is it. The Sith represent using the force for one's own desires, the Jedi represent living in balance. the KOTOR games may or may not be good (haven't played them) but they missed the point of the original series #StarWarsNerd #ButActually

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

This is it. The Sith represent using the force for one's own desires, the Jedi represent living in balance. the KOTOR games may or may not be good (haven't played them) but they missed the point of the original series #StarWarsNerd #ButActually

Thats what they said in the KOTOR games though? I also want to say its KOTOR that actually defined what the sith were about and the sith code and all that first appeared there. Sith are about engaging with the universe and conflict, getting stronger and using that to enforce their will on the universe.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Count Dooku just put out a Christmas Album. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-actor-christopher-lee-releases-new-heavy-metal-single-darkest-carols-faithful-sing/

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Darth Vader doesn't count because it was before the whole Darth thing and before anyone had thought of the idea of Vader being Luke's father so it was just the guy's name in the original movie.

obi wan even just calls him darth like its his first name Star Wars is so dumb and everything is a retcon

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You've gotta remember that the source of all the "Force is terrible" stuff in KOTOR 2 is a Sith Lord who loves to lie and is a completely arrogant hypocrite. So, taking anything she says at face value is a bad idea.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

david... posted:

I always thought it dumb they used any techniques at all with a weightless weapon that can cut through anything, just hold it out in front of you and just run at people.

That doesn't work with any weapon because you have no defense and even someone with just a piece of rebar could just smash you upside the head before you reach him. Or just step to the side and smash your head in as you go zooming past him.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

kingcom posted:

Thats what they said in the KOTOR games though? I also want to say its KOTOR that actually defined what the sith were about and the sith code and all that first appeared there. Sith are about engaging with the universe and conflict, getting stronger and using that to enforce their will on the universe.

And that's why they need to be wiped out (or rather, they will always wipe themselves out). Star Wars is taoist.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how people forget you can just throw the loving lightsaber and it will come back to you.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Whatev posted:

Are you kidding? Lando Calrissian probably gets more pussy than the Humane Society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how people forget you can just throw the loving lightsaber and it will come back to you.

I can just point this gun at you and it will just keep shooting at you. I don't even need to catch a flying chunk of plasma.

Harime Nui posted:

And that's why they need to be wiped out (or rather, they will always wipe themselves out). Star Wars is taoist.

Yeah sure, even if your going out as a pretty good guy sith your inevitably going to gently caress up and have things fall down around you. I'm not sure where the KOTOR is wrong part is fitting in though?

• Locked thread