Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
hmmm sounds too racist... hmmm how about Darth Naggerstompa68?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

david... posted:

All Star Wars names are created by a teen trying to find a new username on the internet.

What if I write my name backwards...

poo poo. My secret is out.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chomp8645 posted:

Well at least he won't have any trouble re acclimating because technology and culture in Star Wars doesn't change at all in 1900 years, much less 190. Hell the ship probably didn't even lose any value.

p sure the early jedi used lightsabers that were hooked up to backpack batteries in order to beat the early sith that used alchemically hardened samurai swords to fight them with

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

p sure the early jedi used lightsabers that were hooked up to backpack batteries in order to beat the early sith that used alchemically hardened samurai swords to fight them with

pretty sure they were gay

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yeah, that's a thing they did. If I remember right, though, that's ridiculously far back.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This sounds pretty rad to be quite honest.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ManMythLegend posted:

This sounds pretty rad to be quite honest.

But then just a couple generations later they invented the movie sabers so that KotOR would be more familiar to the casual Star Wars fan.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just like in Warhammer, the most advanced and efficient form of combat in the lasergun-future is melee.

Now who would win, The Emperor or the Imperator?
A Jedi or a Space marine Librarian?
C3PO+R2D2 vs. Servitor?

Totally serious answers only.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Weird BIAS posted:

That's pretty good, but make sure he speaks in a ridiculous Japanese accent

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Weird BIAS posted:

Naggerstompa66

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

Naggerstompa66

Klando Calrissian approves of this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I never caught that bit of Phantom Menace. What other horrible poo poo did I miss from that movie?

My brain literally did not accept it until someone told me and then the second movie pretty much said it outright. Anankin's mom says more or less "There is no father" and even at age 12 I thought she just meant the guy that knocked her up just up and left her to raise Anakin on her own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ThePutty posted:

it was probably something like that, yeah. i found the best mod was by those german steiner guys, at least back then it seemed pretty awesome

No the best mod is and always will be Absolute Corruption 2.4. It "fixes" ground combat by providing you with multiple fuckoff troops that can kill entire maps from your spawn point if you don't feel like slogging it out. I always loaded up a ton of ATAT MK2s and Dark Troopers and let them go to town.

Those german guys were Nomada Firefox, right? He had the really crappy overdesigned textures and would have bitchfits if anyone told him his sense of aesthetics was poo poo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Klando Calrissian approves of this.

:golfclap:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Arcsquad12 posted:

No the best mod is and always will be Absolute Corruption 2.4. It "fixes" ground combat by providing you with multiple fuckoff troops that can kill entire maps from your spawn point if you don't feel like slogging it out. I always loaded up a ton of ATAT MK2s and Dark Troopers and let them go to town.

Those german guys were Nomada Firefox, right? He had the really crappy overdesigned textures and would have bitchfits if anyone told him his sense of aesthetics was poo poo.

the german guys did steiner's advanced units and awakening of the rebellion, from what i remember they were really solid even though there was a bunch of EU stuff in them

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i only just bought empire at war what are the best mods?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best mod is to never play ground combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neurosis posted:

i only just bought empire at war what are the best mods?

Thrawn's Revenge, Absolute Corruption 2.4, and Republic at War are all pretty good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thrawn's Revenge, Absolute Corruption 2.4, and Republic at War are all pretty good.

thanks

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

blowfish posted:

If that's the same mod I remember then yeah, moving the super star destroyer (the length of half the map) meant right clicking the opposite side of the map half ten to make it crawl in that direction. Oh and it came with a whole support fleet of cruisers and frigates instead of fighter wings so dropping the thing was an I Win button even if you didn't bother to use it and just swamped the map with the ridiculous amounts of free spaceships it came with.

You're not building a balanced mission around a 17.6km warship, no matter how good the engine is--it's either going to be an I Win button or an under-gunned piece of poo poo. You'd need a game on a much, much larger scale than a space fighter sim.

blowfish posted:

Obviously (Wookiepedia delivers). It is as dumb and convoluted as you'd expect.

oh and

:downsbravo: that is, like, deep, maaaaan ~

But in Episode IV the Force was perfectly balanced. Two Jedi, two Sith. :v:

All those random Jedi survivors and bullshit secret apprentices and Emperor's Hands and Jerec can all go gently caress themselves.

Robo Reagan posted:

Coruscant suffered basically no change even though huge battles were going on in it's orbit. I mean, you'd think the place would start looking a bit shabby after a few orbital bombardments but I guess the droids were only programmed to shoot at clones + lucas was a bad writer

Giant gently caress-off spaceships falling from the sky can't be good for property values (neither can missing your target).

RentACop posted:

I actually think what bugs me most about the EU is retroactively assigning jedi character classes from KOTOR to people, and everything to do with lightsaber styles

No, no, you see, Luke Skywalker swinging the lightsaber like a baseball bat is actually a classic example of the Wailing Jizz-Box form and not because Mark Hamill doesn't know anything about swordfighting because :goonsay:

Christopher Lee was the only one who had any idea what he was doing (notice how economical he is and how little he dicks around with stupid flourishes) and apparently "knowing your way around a sword" is itself a special lightsaber style that is perfectly balanced against the other styles using a bunch of arbitrary strengths and weaknesses.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 9, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

You're not building a balanced mission around a 17.6km warship, no matter how good the engine is--it's either going to be an I Win button or an under-gunned piece of poo poo. You'd need a game on a much, much larger scale than a space fighter sim.

All those random Jedi survivors and bullshit secret apprentices and Emperor's Hands and Jerec can all go gently caress themselves.

Giant gently caress-off spaceships falling from the sky can't be good for property values (neither can missing your target).

No, no, you see, Luke Skywalker swinging the lightsaber like a baseball bat is actually a classic example of the Wailing Jizz-Box form and not because Mark Hamill doesn't know anything about swordfighting because :goonsay:

Christopher Lee was the only one who had any idea what he was doing (notice how economical he is and how little he dicks around with stupid flourishes) and apparently "knowing your way around a sword" is itself a special lightsaber style that is perfectly balanced against the other styles using a bunch of arbitrary strengths and weaknesses.

I always thought it dumb they used any techniques at all with a weightless weapon that can cut through anything, just hold it out in front of you and just run at people.

Also if anyone is writing some eu poo poo I just thought up lightsaber gloves where each finger has a lightsaber claw, hope this helps.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Star Wars: The Old Republic was pretty bad and took a big poo poo over KOTOR I and II.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Woolie Wool posted:

This gets brought up a bunch and the answer is Lucas said Sith are imbalance in the Force, so by getting rid of the Sith, Vader did his prophecy.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

blowfish posted:

Obviously (Wookiepedia delivers). It is as dumb and convoluted as you'd expect.

oh and

:downsbravo: that is, like, deep, maaaaan ~

holy gently caress my brain

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2 Jedi 1 Sith.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

david... posted:

I always thought it dumb they used any techniques at all with a weightless weapon that can cut through anything, just hold it out in front of you and just run at people.

Also they apparently have adjustable length so why not just stand on the other side of the room and extend the saber out to 20 feet?

david... posted:

Also if anyone is writing some eu poo poo I just thought up lightsaber gloves where each finger has a lightsaber claw, hope this helps.

This guy seems to have lightsaber Wolverine claws, that's the closest I could find:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic was pretty bad and took a big poo poo over KOTOR I and II.

The Imperial Agent story was pretty cool, but it was like the least Star Wars thing ever put into a Star Wars game. And smugglers had that "dude, where's my spaceship" thing going on for a while but then they didn't and I got bored of them.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It's like the EU writers tried to make sense of the inherently flawed logic of an insane person by just being even crazier, as if somehow out-crazying Lucas would make it all make sense in a convoluted, schizophrenic sort of way.

Are we sure Lucas isn't actually just Henry Darger reincarnated?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Don Gato posted:

The Imperial Agent story was pretty cool, but it was like the least Star Wars thing ever put into a Star Wars game. And smugglers had that "dude, where's my spaceship" thing going on for a while but then they didn't and I got bored of them.

I thought the least Star Wars thing ever put into a Star Wars game was Kreia and her endless shittalking of the Force, which is why George Lucas loving hated KOTOR 2.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also they apparently have adjustable length so why not just stand on the other side of the room and extend the saber out to 20 feet?

This guy seems to have lightsaber Wolverine claws, that's the closest I could find:

how does the eu explain why lightsabers aren't infinitely long, how do you stop them and make them come to a rounded point, those claws are ok but i want one on each finger, 20 ft laser fingers and thumbs just waving their hands over a battlefield

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

lol that would be great until you try blocking and get a lightsaber stuck in between them.

david... posted:

The lightsabers have some kind of gyroscopic effect or some poo poo that essentially makes them ridiculously hard to hold. gently caress I've done more to defend the EU than trash it in this thread. :suicide:

david... posted:

Vodo Nuba: This is my lightsaber glove. Each finger has a lightsaber claw...it was given to me by my father, Lando Calrissian.
Qui-Gon: Lando...that name sounds familiar...
Vodo: You knew my father?
Qui-Gon: I once trained a young man in the jedi arts named Lando Calrissian until he left the order...
Vodo: Where is he?!
Qui-Gon: I sense he's been kidnapped by the ghost of Darth Revan. Quickly, don your lightsaber glove!

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 9, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

david... posted:

how does the eu explain why lightsabers aren't infinitely long, how do you stop them and make them come to a rounded point, those claws are ok but i want one on each finger, 20 ft laser fingers and thumbs just waving their hands over a battlefield

I think they don't explain it beyond "yeah we froze the loving laser and now it's a sword deal with it".

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

I thought the least Star Wars thing ever put into a Star Wars game was Kreia and her endless shittalking of the Force, which is why George Lucas loving hated KOTOR 2.

see, the Imperial Agent was more like James Bond and Big Boss's lovechild stabbing, shooting and loving their way across the star wars galaxy to stop conspiracies by dark jedi, infiltrate some republic super spy ring and take out the Star Wars version of The Patriots. And the storyline was the only one that actually had even superficial changes based on what you did which was pretty cool since you could side with the sith conspiracy.

i mean it didn't actively hate the force like KOTOR 2 but I'd still say it wasn't star warsy at all since I was killing jedi left and right and didn't have any force powers or mandalorian creed. it's like something from a scrapped Bioware spy RPG.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Don Gato posted:

see, the Imperial Agent was more like James Bond and Big Boss's lovechild stabbing, shooting and loving their way across the star wars galaxy to stop conspiracies by dark jedi, infiltrate some republic super spy ring and take out the Star Wars version of The Patriots. And the storyline was the only one that actually had even superficial changes based on what you did which was pretty cool since you could side with the sith conspiracy.

i mean it didn't actively hate the force like KOTOR 2 but I'd still say it wasn't star warsy at all since I was killing jedi left and right and didn't have any force powers or mandalorian creed. it's like something from a scrapped Bioware spy RPG.

Neat. Dunno why they even bothered making an MMO though; there's only like 5 MMOs that have ever been successful (Everquest, WoW, EVE, Guild Wars, and FF XIV: ARR).

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

wookiepedia is a loving cesspit

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manarai_security_consultant

:downsbravo:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

i gotta admit, out of these three thrawn's revenge actually looks really good

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SunAndSpring posted:

Did he really? I'm never quite sure how much Lucas actually pays attention to the EU. Does he just sit counting money, leaving the EU to its own devices making convoluted backstories to characters he created solely to be weird rubber mask people or hirrarious racial stereotypes, but then if he hears down the grapevine that somebody is trying to inject nuance into the cosmology he flips his poo poo and comes down to veto it?
Is there a source showing his explicit dislike of Kotor II. Seeing him write that he's annoyed by it would further cement it as my favorite star wars thing.

Edit: and now he's just 100% retired and cannot influence one iota of the setting?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Edit: and now he's just 100% retired and cannot influence one iota of the setting?

it seems naive to think that GL has no influence on star wars imo

im not saying i know for a fact that he does, but jj abrams probably worships the guy

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TOILETLORD posted:

no it makes no sense unless all scientist are just really maintenance dudes. Unless they literally go to a point where it is impossible to make better technology

Someone who does pbp Star Wars RPGs here came up with an explanation for both the technological stagnation and the constant cycle of galactic-spanning warfare. Tl;dr version: The Space-Jews did it. (No the other Space-Jews. No, not those ones either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Fetus Tree posted:

it seems naive to think that GL has no influence on star wars imo

Strike him down and he shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

• Locked thread