Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
its really too bad that the zero suit stuff happened and changed samus from a 6 foot 200 pound alien mutant in a power suit to, well, a pin up girl with rocket heels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Samus should basically just be the Power Suit to prevent that.

She is, the Power Suit is just a magical anime construct that reflects her inner emotions.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Echophonic posted:

Just have Platinum make a Metroid game with Zero Suit Samus, problem solved.

Well Team Ninja was handed Metroid and look how that turned out.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

She is, the Power Suit is just a magical anime construct that reflects her inner emotions.

gently caress yooooouuuu

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

whaley posted:

Nope wrong again most of the difficult games are on the PC

What?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

gently caress yooooouuuu

I understand your anger, but until a new Prime game comes out Other M makes this canonically true. :(

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

And ported to consoles later maybe. Most of the more difficult games I've played lately have started on the PC. I haven't really come across anything good and difficult in the last year or so though. Mario and Donkey Kong having a couple of difficult bonus stages doesn't really count.

whaley fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 10, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, there are good "alternative takes" Metroid could get, they just have yet to do any of them.

Other than maybe pinball, was that any good?

The pinball game was fun enough but they were charging full retail price for it at Gamestop even after a few years which was loving stupid since there's very little content in it.

I don't know why they would take "alternative takes" for Metroid. The setting for the series isn't really that good so it's not like "Mass Effect, but with Samus!!" or "Halo, but with Samus!!" actually brings anything new to the series. It would just be nice to see a classically-made Metroidvania with a budget larger than :20bux: but the genre is apparently exclusively the domain of indie games now so whatever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THANK GOD I FINALLY DID IT

http://i.imgur.com/XM7SJQY.jpg

(Linked for Captain Toad spoilers)

I can't believe how smoothly my final run went. I had almost made it this morning before dying to a Boo right before the end of the 49th floor. But then I came back to it and got it first try tonight.

Captain Toad is the best.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ruddha posted:

its really too bad that the zero suit stuff happened and changed samus from a 6 foot 200 pound alien mutant in a power suit to, well, a pin up girl with rocket heels

Then:

Now:

Still looks better than her Other M iteration, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want more Metroid games made by Retro.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I just want a new Harvest Moon for the Wii U. So I can obsess over crop rotations and animal husbandry in glorious HD. Come on Natume!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's something obscenely silly about the Smash iteration of ZSS, where she is completely useless outside of her rocket heels and her little stun gun that just sets people up so you can kick with her rocket heels.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't know how Zero Suit Samus ruined her since in every game you're rewarded by her stripping down, it wasn't until Other M when

There was the lovely ending part of Zero Mission.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I don't think I have to explain the difference between "two seconds at the end of a game and changes every time" and "you play an entire forced stealth segment of Zero Mission".

Besides I'm not talking about how ~scandalously sexy~ ZSS is, but more that since now she has a codified design under the armor, it was inevitable that it was going to show up more often. Samus should basically just be the Power Suit to prevent that.

I thought for a while it was supposed to be canon that parts of her suit were fused to her. I thought I remembered something like that from Metroid Fusion, although I haven't actually played the game in over a decade.

PirateDentist posted:

I just want a new Harvest Moon for the Wii U. So I can obsess over crop rotations and animal husbandry in glorious HD. Come on Natume!

Sadly, any Harvest Moon games from Natsume will not be actual Harvest Moon games. The real series is carrying on under the English name "Story of Seasons" but I don't know if that really matters anyway since there are more bad games in the Harvest Moon series than good ones.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 10, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think zero suit samus is really cool, personally

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

sharrrk posted:

I think she would be a lot better if she were an entirely different character as Samus. It's kinda hard to reconcile the white girl with the skintight suit, stun gun and 8-inch heels that blow people up with the mysterious woman that's 200 pounds of muscle and genocide who wears giant space armor and wages war against alien species by herself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RyokoTK posted:

I think she would be a lot better if she were an entirely different character as Samus. It's kinda hard to reconcile the white girl with the skintight suit, stun gun and 8-inch heels that blow people up with the mysterious woman that's 200 pounds of muscle and genocide who wears giant space armor and wages war against alien species by herself.

I felt like Retro did a good job of it (like the post credits sequence of Metroid Prime 3). But then Other M turned it into "she has feelings! Look at them ! LOOK AT THEM." so now I don't trust anyone.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

raditts posted:

I thought for a while it was supposed to be canon that parts of her suit were fused to her. I thought I remembered something like that from Metroid Fusion, although I haven't actually played the game in over a decade.

The X parasite multiplied a lot in her suit and that's what was fusing her to it, so they injected her with Metroids. Now she's 50% space bird, 50% space monster, 50% hosed up space crystals, 100% woman.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sharrrk posted:

She is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it would be irresponsible for Samus to have children. They'd turn out really hosed up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PirateDentist posted:

Maybe they were just following the Nihon-shiki romanization system for that one. :shobon:

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Lemming posted:

The X parasite multiplied a lot in her suit and that's what was fusing her to it, so they injected her with Metroids. Now she's 50% space bird, 50% space monster, 50% hosed up space crystals, 100% woman.
It's really unfortunate that the teams seem to have no interest in dealing with her massive hybrid nature. I think Dread might have been planned to take place after Fusion? Doesn't matter as it is. Let's just hope Sakamoto isn't put in charge of the next Metroid game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I don't hate Other M for being a bad game, I hate Other M for the angry support groups it brought about

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

They should have a thing where she takes the zero suit off to reveal her whole body is just hosed up from all that poo poo. That or reveal the zero suit is her skin now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wouldn't mind seeing the developers of Velocity 2X create a Metroidvania game with the same main character. She's a cocky blonde space hunter with a gun arm/hand, and her outfit looks like a mix of the zero suit and Iron Man's armor. The game is also really fun which doesn't hurt.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
According to Sakamoto: "When she absorbed the core of the SAX (the perfect condition of Samus), she basically reconstituted her genetic condition. She didn't recover the physical damage of her amputated suit, but she did recover her genetic condition."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Which is a really boring setup for any games post-Fusion because there's a bunch of interesting ways the story could go if she retained her Metroid DNA and immunity. Metroid-related powerups anyone? (Because you know the GF is still cloning them AGAIN somewhere) The other interesting place for the series to go would be dealing with the fallout of Samus basically disobeying Federation orders and blowing up an entire planet and one of their major research space stations. I doubt they would just hand-wave something like that, even with her reputation.

Then there's also the possibility of exploring whatever Retro was hinting at in the 100% ending of Prime 3. We still have no clue what that spaceship chasing after her in the end scene was. I guess we'll only know if Retro does another Metroid.

One way or another, I want another Metroid game. It's my favorite series and romhacks can only hold me so long (because I've played almost all of them. :( )

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Light Gun Man posted:

This is fairly unrelated but I kind of want someone to make a multiplayer metroidvania style game. Something like a + shaped world map, 4 players, the center is the "base" or start point or whatever. Sometimes you need the other players to advance to a certain point and find an upgrade for you and bring it back, etc. It would probably be infuriating with bad players but if everyone was on a similar level it could own.

Try Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, maybe?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FPzero posted:

Which is a really boring setup for any games post-Fusion because there's a bunch of interesting ways the story could go if she retained her Metroid DNA and immunity. Metroid-related powerups anyone? (Because you know the GF is still cloning them AGAIN somewhere) The other interesting place for the series to go would be dealing with the fallout of Samus basically disobeying Federation orders and blowing up an entire planet and one of their major research space stations. I doubt they would just hand-wave something like that, even with her reputation.

Then there's also the possibility of exploring whatever Retro was hinting at in the 100% ending of Prime 3. We still have no clue what that spaceship chasing after her in the end scene was. I guess we'll only know if Retro does another Metroid.

One way or another, I want another Metroid game. It's my favorite series and romhacks can only hold me so long (because I've played almost all of them. :( )

It looked pretty similar to Sylux's ship from Hunters, so it was probably him or some stealth Federation ship (since that's the type of ship Sylux stole).

I want a sequel where Samus has to team up with Space Pirates and she gets to work with Science Team against corrupt GF. That woudl be swell, I think.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lemming posted:

I think it would be irresponsible for Samus to have children. They'd turn out really hosed up.

The babies!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would personally like to see a future Metroid game where Samus is by herself and explores an alien world without any of the series' completely retarded backstory intruding into it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I would personally like to see a future Metroid game where Samus is by herself and explores an alien world without any of the series' completely retarded backstory intruding into it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Concuss yourself and replay Super Metroid and Zero Mission afresh.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lemming posted:

Concuss yourself and replay Super Metroid and Zero Mission afresh.

I've already done this several times and that's why I'm a goon. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FPzero posted:

The obvious setup would be to make Samus the new "last Metroid", on the run from all the different factions who want to capture her for their own ends.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yes but the Metroid's popularity isn't really dictated by people you know in real life.
No poo poo, but my perception obviously is. I didn't have any real data and so was asking a question.

Sire Oblivion posted:

And to answer your question, if you want to play a cutesy, watered down version of The Sims that becomes babby's first mortgage simulator, then yes, play Animal Crossing.
That was pretty much my impression of it.

The obvious setup would be to make Samus the new "last Metroid", on the run from all the different factions who want to capture her for their own ends.

This.... could be a good idea.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Animal Crossing is interior design: the game, everything else is superfluous

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Only if you make it like any of the Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games. With timed hits and goofy dialogue. Especially if you retain Samus as this utterly humorless badass while everyone else has this more lighthearted attitude toward life like those Mario games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Animal Crossing you play as a dragon who collects treasure to display in your cave and it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Looper posted:

Animal Crossing is interior design: the game, everything else is superfluous

Let me tell you about turnips ruining my life.

• Locked thread