Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Bimmi posted:

I've never been a fan of the 2.0's looks, but it's sheer pleasure to just pick up and hold: fucker is solid.

Just to indulge a newbie, to what period of UC kits are we talking and, what is the visual difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not sure I understand your question, but the Gundam 2.0 adopted something of an "anime-accurate" styling direction that makes it look really out of place next to any other MG IMO. It's got a certain retro charm though, and is just an amazingly well-designed, top quality kit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Speaking of solid kits, the Sword Impulse definitely isn't. It got knocked over by my cat and now the connectors for the sword holder thingies are busted.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
RX-78 OYW Ver. is also super solid.
Too bad the colours for both versions are eh, gonna have to paint it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Finished RG Zaku, had a ton of fun building it and seeing how it was fitting together. Still working on decals though and probably will be for longer than it took me to build it.

How does Zaku rate against the other rg's? I've had problems with the hands falling apart (like p much every model I don't cement) one of the skirt pieces keeps falling off and holding weapons on the back is just pointless.

Thinking of Zogok or Mk2 titans for the next RG i get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

Finished RG Zaku, had a ton of fun building it and seeing how it was fitting together. Still working on decals though and probably will be for longer than it took me to build it.

How does Zaku rate against the other rg's? I've had problems with the hands falling apart (like p much every model I don't cement) one of the skirt pieces keeps falling off and holding weapons on the back is just pointless.

Thinking of Zogok or Mk2 titans for the next RG i get.

Most RG's are pretty solid. The only dodgy ones are the RX-78-02, and people already mentioned the Zeta. I think someone also said the GP01 and Full Burnen aren't that great either.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most RG's are pretty solid. The only dodgy ones are the RX-78-02, and people already mentioned the Zeta. I think someone also said the GP01 and Full Burnen aren't that great either.

That was me. Maybe it was just my kit, but the whole core fighter-top-bottom thing just doesn't hold together that well. It's in the "Build it, pose it, leave it the hell alone" category.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

TARDISman posted:

That was me. Maybe it was just my kit, but the whole core fighter-top-bottom thing just doesn't hold together that well. It's in the "Build it, pose it, leave it the hell alone" category.

I found the GP01 to be fine, if one of the most stable kits. Once you get the core fighter in the right pegs, for me it seemed to stay. Only problem is that it likes to lean if too much weight is on one side.

I think most RG's should be build and pose and leave alone, since they sometimes have the most finicky parts that just like to break.

^^^mk ii is probably the most stable rg, and comes with tons of stuff, get it

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

My RG Zaku's leg peg tore in the hip connector after a month. It's looks really nice, but I think it's a bit too fragile to play around with. My RG Mk. II is a tank and have been my favorite kit so far.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Death to the hoses on RG Zaku.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Literally The Worst posted:

Death to the hoses on RG Zaku.

Those hose plugs broke on both thigh ends on mine, luckily super glue fixed that.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The hoses/springs were probably the most frustrating part. I'm still missing a few tiny sections because once those things fly they are p much with jesus for good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So I know he probably gets this stuff for free,

but I don't think you needed three Neo Zeongs YellowSubmarine.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

God that PG Unicorn is huge.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait, YellowSubmarine is a person? I thought it was just an awesome store in Akihabara.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that is correct, it is a store

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They have their own blog, so I kind of just assumed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

They have their own blog, so I kind of just assumed.

Ahh, yeah. It is a really awesome hobby store. I went there on my vacation a couple weeks ago. A little pricey, but the selection for gundam kits and parts (guns, joints, and other misc. parts) was unmatched by any other store I went to.

e: Also, a lot of older, out of production kits, too!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
After building a few of the HG kits, I feel like trying something more complicated. What are some good first MG kits that don't look like a Generic Protagonist Gundam?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Zaku II 2.0, Gouf 2.0, or Geara Doga.

Tubing is life, tubing is love.

Alternatively get MG Jesta.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

After building a few of the HG kits, I feel like trying something more complicated. What are some good first MG kits that don't look like a Generic Protagonist Gundam?

Jesta, Zaku 2.0, Buster, Heavyarms, Tallgeese. Dom or Rick Dom if you can find them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

An Angry Bug posted:

I put together Char's Zaku II 2.0 and it's pretty nice, not too expensive either.

You can't go wrong with Goufs, though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You certainly can go wrong with the original MG Gouf and its Custom variant, they are Bad Kits.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Thirding the Jesta, it's a really cool kit.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. Got the Zaku II 2.0 since it was cheap, had Amazon Prime, and I adore that design.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Get the Rick Dom, because it has bell bottoms

The MS-79BGs posted:

Well, you can tell by my giant-rear end beam gun
that I'm a Rick Dom, no time for fun
Bazooka's loud, heat saber's warm
and I've been blowing up Feddies since I was born

Now it's Axis, or A Baoa Qu,
Zeon's teachings all are true
We can try, but we can't see
your soul's weighed down by gravity

Whether you're a Gelgoog or whether you're a Zaku you're staying Zeon, staying Zeon
A Baoa Qu is breakin' and all the Zabi's shaking and you're staying Zeon, staying Zeon
Ah, ah, ah, ah, staying Zeon, staying Zeon
Ah, ah, ah, ah, staying Zeooooooooooooooooon

An Angry Bug posted:

Thanks. Got the Zaku II 2.0 since it was cheap, had Amazon Prime, and I adore that design.

That was my first MG. You're gonna love it. The amount of detail, even if you just do a straight snap build and panel line job, is nuts. Building on a full inner frame with multiple joints in the knees, feet, and elbows is freakin' ambrosia.

Use a set of flat nose pliers wrapped in electrical tape to loosen up the tube parts. Trust me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

I was just about to third the Jesta. As far as GM derivatives go, it owns bones even though I don't have the plastic kit yet.

The next thing on my list is to get an airbrush setup though. I want to make some crossover dioramas between Ace Combat and Gundam (Gundams with famous Ace paint jobs), but I need better tools and more practice before I give that a shot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I like the Jesta, but I keep holding out hope that one day they'll announce MG Jesta Cannon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I think this'll work juuust fine (after I paint it).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay, my very first models! Built them in order from left to right.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well done! The only critiques I can make are just stuff inherent to the model (mold lines, seams, noticeable nubs). Though your Gogg's right hand does have a little nib on the... is that the pinkie?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think this'll work juuust fine (after I paint it).

Yeah. I'm satisfied with this. The scale is just about perfect.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 11, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlitzBlast posted:

Well done! The only critiques I can make are just stuff inherent to the model (mold lines, seams, noticeable nubs). Though your Gogg's right hand does have a little nib on the... is that the pinkie?

Thanks! What do you guys normally do about mold lines and seams? I'm slowly getting better at removing nubs.

Also, I like the way that Megas XLR is shaping up.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 11, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kibner posted:

Yay, my very first models! Built them in order from left to right.

Hi-5 first kit Gogg buddy. They get better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

madpanda posted:

Hi-5 first kit Gogg buddy. They get better.

Haha. He actually grew on me a lot as I was building him. That belly and those hands are adorable.

He was basically my "is this a good idea" kit. Learned a lot about what not to do on him. Including removing a leg from a socket. Had to get some glue to fix that. :v:

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

MJP posted:

Get the Rick Dom, because it has bell bottoms

Do a little dance
make a little love
Get Dom tonight!
Get Dom tonight!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kibner posted:

Thanks! What do you guys normally do about mold lines and seams? I'm slowly getting better at removing nubs.

Also, I like the way that Megas XLR is shaping up.

Mold lines would just be some light sanding to get it to go away.

Seams, I think the best way is going to be to use putty. I've tried plastic cement but that just gets the two pieces together and you have to sand off all the extra material. This can lead to weird shapes if you have to take alot off and destroying panel lines if you are not careful. The thing with putty is you are pretty much gonna have to paint to cover it up. When you sand you are removing plastic so if you sand too much you take alot off and deform it in some way. With putty you can add to the model so you take off more in an attempt to have it retain its form.

If I had the whole airbursh workbench setup I would use putty. If not you can use liquid cement or just use the seams like extra panel lines.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Mold lines would just be some light sanding to get it to go away.

Seams, I think the best way is going to be to use putty. I've tried plastic cement but that just gets the two pieces together and you have to sand off all the extra material. This can lead to weird shapes if you have to take alot off and destroying panel lines if you are not careful. The thing with putty is you are pretty much gonna have to paint to cover it up. When you sand you are removing plastic so if you sand too much you take alot off and deform it in some way. With putty you can add to the model so you take off more in an attempt to have it retain its form.

If I had the whole airbursh workbench setup I would use putty. If not you can use liquid cement or just use the seams like extra panel lines.

Perfect Plastic Putty is a godsend. Easy to use and clean up after. Get a little on a flat thin surface, apply into the seam, clean up excess with a wet Q-tip. Dries in 10 minutes.

You don't even really need an airbrush. On my Rick Dom, I filled seams, painted on some Vallejo surface primer, let it dry, then handpainted on. It'd have been overkill to mask and airbrush the few individual parts.

Get your color matches right and you can get away with just the one or two parts that need filling.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I take it these pieces you used putty didn't use the main color of the suit so it was easy to get a match though? I referred to needing an airbrush if you used putty on like a blue thigh and the entire suit was like 85% that color, you would want to have it all match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I take it these pieces you used putty didn't use the main color of the suit so it was easy to get a match though? I referred to needing an airbrush if you used putty on like a blue thigh and the entire suit was like 85% that color, you would want to have it all match.

In the Dom's case, there were a couple of colors to work with. I had to seamfill the black pauldrons and purple upper arm spheres. Both required just enough putty to fill and smooth out some spots.

The pauldrons were easy. Black. That was it.

The upper arm spheres, though, if you scroll up a bit to that picture, are a bit lighter purple than the lower arms. I may remix it and add just a little more black then paint it on a leftover bit of sprue to test, then paint over what's there - hence why I mention if you get the matches right you can get away with it.

But yeah, getting a full match means either a perfect mix or painting everything in a color to match. I'm hoping to avoid the "painting everything" part as best I can.