Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Animal Crossing sounds like my thing, but I just fought the Mad Duck that is some goon's avatar for the first time in my long-overdue first playthrough of Earthbound, and I am liking it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

raditts posted:

There was the lovely ending part of Zero Mission.
It wasn't lovely. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The obvious setup would be to make Samus the new "last Metroid", on the run from all the different factions who want to capture her for their own ends.
This could be cool but I'm not sure how it would work gameplay wise. Retro were told they couldn't even have Samus, a bounty hunter, hunting bounties in Metroid Prime 3... for some reason. I doubt shooting up GF troops would be acceptable.

mycot posted:

Well Team Ninja was handed Metroid and look how that turned out.
That wasn't their fault!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

That wasn't their fault!

Team Ninja handled the gameplay which also sucked rear end

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

I thought for a while it was supposed to be canon that parts of her suit were fused to her. I thought I remembered something like that from Metroid Fusion, although I haven't actually played the game in over a decade.

When the suit's turned On, it is on. She might be able to make it vanish at-will, but Samus was out cold with it left active so they had to physically remove it piece-by-piece.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wait, are people really bitching about the extra little bonus mission at the end of Zero Mission? Really? Last time I checked adding additional content to a re-make was a good thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

Team Ninja handled the gameplay which also sucked rear end

A lot of what made it bad came from directives by Sakamoto and co. but Team Ninja has struggled to make a good game on their own since then so we should forget about either party and just get excited for Devil's Third instead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Austrian mook posted:

Wait, are people really bitching about the extra little bonus mission at the end of Zero Mission? Really? Last time I checked adding additional content to a re-make was a good thing.

Not when it's bad content.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I cannot gather how you could possibly think that the ending sequence from Zero Mission is bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Let me tell you about turnips ruining my life.

Turnips are simply the means through which more decorations are acquired

Austrian mook posted:

That section owns (actually), but I can understand why people would dislike it after spending the rest of the game blasting through everything

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

That section owns (actually), but I can understand why people would dislike it after spending the rest of the game blasting through everything

Damned if you can't help but laugh like a maniac when you get the Gravity Suit and Plasma Beam though. My turn now :unsmigghh:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The music in that section is also very good and it resulted in cute backstory for Samus, so

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the stealth segment at the end of Zero Mission is a highlight of the entire series for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, guess I'm alone on that one then. I thought that part was terrible, stealth sections have no place in a Metroid game IMO.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Stealth sections fit pretty handily into Metroid games I've found. The Morphball really helps, and it's a great way to empower the player once they're able to wreck the poo poo out of things they were once hiding from. The SAX is great for this especially.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Stealth sections have a place in plenty of games that consist of maneuvering some sort of character (platformers, first person games, etc.), provided they're done with good reason, and I'd say that "When you get your stuff back you feel awesome and can blast space pirates like it ain't no thang" is a pretty good reason.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ultigonio posted:

Stealth sections have a place in plenty of games that consist of maneuvering some sort of character (platformers, first person games, etc.), provided they're done with good reason, and I'd say that "When you get your stuff back you feel awesome and can blast space pirates like it ain't no thang" is a pretty good reason.

That's why the item collection music and subsquent Chozodia theme are significantly more triumphant than the rest of the music in Zero Mission when you finally get the fully powered suit. It's a good feeling.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Captain Toad has the best stealth action you'll get nowadays folks, just fyi

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Does it have tactical espionage action?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

Stealth Inc. 2 has some legitimate stealth stuff and is a good game too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pixeltendo posted:

Does it have tactical espionage action?

Solid Snake ain't got nothin on Toad evading those Shy Guys

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

raditts posted:

Well, guess I'm alone on that one then. I thought that part was terrible, stealth sections have no place in a Metroid game IMO.

It was pretty short too, don't really see how it could sour anyone's enjoyment of a great game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So for some reason about 80% of the time when I turn on my wii u I get either a black screen or it freezes at the splash screen. If I force shut-down and restart it fixes it but it's getting a little annoying. Anyone run into this?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PantsBandit posted:

So for some reason about 80% of the time when I turn on my wii u I get either a black screen or it freezes at the splash screen. If I force shut-down and restart it fixes it but it's getting a little annoying. Anyone run into this?

I'm having a separate issue where my Pro Controller will move to the bottom right on its own when in the menu, but work completely fine in-game. No idea why it happens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

If it had lasted any longer, I would agree. I'm pretty terrible at stealth gameplay, but Zero Mission's segment isn't long enough to wear out the novelty.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even if you get caught it's pretty easy to just run away and hide in a shadowy corner to continue progressing. The whole thing is just a handful of screens anyway.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

noirstronaut posted:

I'm having a separate issue where my Pro Controller will move to the bottom right on its own when in the menu, but work completely fine in-game. No idea why it happens.

Happens to me once in a while. I just reboot and it seems fine.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Happens to me once in a while. I just reboot and it seems fine.

Just hit (Home) > Gamepad Settings > Pair (bottom right) and then the sync button on the back of the pro controller.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

raditts posted:

They were some of the best parts of Fusion too! You're full of bad opinions! :catstare:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

They were some of the best parts of Fusion too! You're full of bad opinions! :catstare:

I don't know I'd really call what was in Fusion a "stealth section"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Trent posted:

I don't think Animal Crossing sounds like my thing, but I just fought the Mad Duck that is some goon's avatar for the first time in my long-overdue first playthrough of Earthbound, and I am liking it so far.

Animal Crossing: if the neverending life sim part doesn't get you, the charm and cuteness will.

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a Wii U Animal Crossing game, but it'll suck if they just rehash 98% of it like they've been doing since the Gamecube version.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Re: pro controller moving on its own, I think Nintendo's controllers still have that weird thing where whatever position the stick is in when the controller is turned on is considered neutral. Using the Gamepad and Home Menu to resync it works but it's a longer solution than just unplugging and plugging it back in like you could with everything else beforehand.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

enojy posted:

Animal Crossing: if the neverending life sim part doesn't get you, the charm and cuteness will.

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a Wii U Animal Crossing game, but it'll suck if they just rehash 98% of it like they've been doing since the Gamecube version.

Part of me worries that whatever this Wii U Animal Crossing thing is will just be New Leaf on a console. I'd still buy it though because I love Animal Crossing with all my heart even though having an Animal Crossing portable is the best thing for the series. It'd look real good too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're very conscious of the fact that the Wii game flopped because it was just a home version of the DS game, I don't think they'll make that mistake again.

EDIT: underperformed, it didn't really flop, at least not commercially

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
I just got Bayonetta 2. Oh my god this game is so fun. It's already my GOTY and I'm only a couple hours in

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

Population: Growing and New Leaf aren't even comparable, what are you talking about?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ultigonio posted:

Population: Growing and New Leaf aren't even comparable, what are you talking about?

I think they're referring to how the DS and Wii versions were very samey (to each other and the gamecube version) even on the scale of video game sequels.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I had asked this a while back but it got lost in the shuffle. I bought my Wii U at Best Buy already and I know that Target is gonna have theirs for $250 starting on the 14th. Does anyone know if Best Buy will price match after the fact? I looked through their policy online and didn't see it either way on there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If AC:Wii U is literally New Leaf at 1080p/60 it will be great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tracula posted:

I had asked this a while back but it got lost in the shuffle. I bought my Wii U at Best Buy already and I know that Target is gonna have theirs for $250 starting on the 14th. Does anyone know if Best Buy will price match after the fact? I looked through their policy online and didn't see it either way on there.

No, you gave them money in exchange for a product. Why would they give you money back because of a sale at a different store at a later date?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Skwirl posted:

No, you gave them money in exchange for a product. Why would they give you money back because of a sale at a different store at a later date?

Some stores will price match sales that happen a week or two after date of sale. It's a fair question.

• Locked thread