Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It all makes sense in the context of the actual situation in the country where the warriors the Jedi were modeled after actually existed. Jedi Gokus are stupid prequel horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

kingcom posted:

Yeah sure, even if your going out as a pretty good guy sith your inevitably going to gently caress up and have things fall down around you. I'm not sure where the KOTOR is wrong part is fitting in though?

I've never played the games it's just, it sounds like the whole thing is "HEH, light side, dark side, can't you just see how wrong that is maaan" when all along the light side really just means 'balance,' ying/yang (or light and dark if you prefer) working together and 'dark side' virtually means just loving up

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always just assumed the balance to the force was that everyone who used the force except Luke was dead and Luke was still really raw and untrained so he wasn't all that terrible light or dark side or whatever and just used the force as felt natural to him.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
balance to the force was Kyle Katarn force lightning-ing every loving stormtrooper who pissed him off and then using force heal to patch up his wounds.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

I've never played the games it's just, it sounds like the whole thing is "HEH, light side, dark side, can't you just see how wrong that is maaan" when all along the light side really just means 'balance,' ying/yang (or light and dark if you prefer) working together and 'dark side' virtually means just loving up

Thats KOTOR 2 not 1, KOTOR 2 is made by Obisidian and its less cant you see how its all wrong and more: people have been fighting over this light and dark side bullshit for 1000s of years and murdering millions of people who have no stake in any of it. Seems like if this is the 'will of the force' then the force is acting more like a malevolent being than anything you should be listening to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thank you, Sheev.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

Are you kidding? Lando Calrissian probably gets more pussy than the Humane Society.

No that would be his constantly aroused second cousin, Rando Calrissian

(I know we already used that for the objectivist one, sorry.)

Can Sith people use names of previous Sith they respect, like how Popes do it? Darth Revan XXIII, Darth Sion VII, Darth Sidious IX?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kreia's beef with the Force in KOTOR 2 isn't really about the Force as it is about Fate. She wants to kill Fate because she cannot stand the idea of being enslaved to some higher power. In that way, she embraces the Dark Side sense of freedom from responsibilities, but she doesn't follow the Dark Side's dogmatic code either.

Basically, Kreia wants to kill the driving force behind the majority of human storytelling.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

thank you, sheev

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lando's so called lady skills were a complete failure in TESB. He hits on Leia non stop and he doesn't get anywhere.

Other than that, he had no ladies. Were there any other women in Cloud City?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redshirt posted:

Lando's so called lady skills were a complete failure in TESB. He hits on Leia non stop and he doesn't get anywhere.

Other than that, he had no ladies. Were there any other women in Cloud City?

He didn't have a chance to bring out the Blastech 44. It works every time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
there's so much dumb eu bullshit that people believe that has no real basis in the films and comes purely from novels and video games and rpgs.

like, lightsabers cutting through anything and everything. well, no. they're super sharp, sure, but go back and watch some fights. they bounce off railings and luke hits vader's arm without cutting it off in ESB. we see them cut through limbs and metal but there's always a powerful blow behind it.

and virtually everything about the force and jedi, really.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

it's a good thing the new movies are going to kill the EU forever

unless the new movies are terrible themselves

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Milky Moor posted:

there's so much dumb eu bullshit that people believe that has no real basis in the films and comes purely from novels and video games and rpgs.

like, lightsabers cutting through anything and everything. well, no. they're super sharp, sure, but go back and watch some fights. they bounce off railings and luke hits vader's arm without cutting it off in ESB. we see them cut through limbs and metal but there's always a powerful blow behind it.

and virtually everything about the force and jedi, really.

they also melt through blast doors

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There's the whole power crystal thing where green/blue/purple signify different things about the Jedi's personality and assembling one's lightsaber being every Jedi's personal coming-of-age ceremony and agh god how do I remember all this poo poo after 17 years :psyduck:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i have the book 'Lightsabers' signed by kevin j anderson

lol

E: and his wife too actually

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kreia's beef with the Force in KOTOR 2 isn't really about the Force as it is about Fate. She wants to kill Fate because she cannot stand the idea of being enslaved to some higher power. In that way, she embraces the Dark Side sense of freedom from responsibilities, but she doesn't follow the Dark Side's dogmatic code either.

Basically, Kreia wants to kill the driving force behind the majority of human storytelling.
Yeah, it's all about determinism versus freedom of choice (constantly manipulating others is okay though).

Fetus Tree posted:

i have the book 'Lightsabers' signed by kevin j anderson

lol

E: and his wife too actually
I hope you're proud of yourself! <:mad:>

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fetus Tree posted:

they also melt through blast doors

in the prequels

i should have specified the OT

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Dilithium deposits were more common in the galactic core back then. Really easy to find a highly concentrated source. :shepface:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

So she's an Objectivist then. :v:

Even plain old FYGM is automatically an infinitely better characterization than any canon villain.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Young Freud posted:

He didn't have a chance to bring out the Blastech 44. It works every time.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sombrerotron posted:

I hope you're proud of yourself! <:mad:>

I did think it was pretty cool bc I liked those books, I was reading that series as each one came out and really enjoyed it back in the day. In retrospect its whatever but they were enjoyable for a kid that just wanted star wars things to read

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

rando calrissian should have been in KOTOR 2 as lando's ancestor who gives long, unskippable speeches about kreia's genius

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

So she's an Objectivist then. :v:

Even plain old FYGM is automatically an infinitely better characterization than any canon villain.

Essentially, not a bad villain honestly as its sold to the player pretty well since shes your party member helping you out for 90% of the game.

Harime Nui posted:

There's the whole power crystal thing where green/blue/purple signify different things about the Jedi's personality and assembling one's lightsaber being every Jedi's personal coming-of-age ceremony and agh god how do I remember all this poo poo after 17 years :psyduck:

Thats definitely the stupidest thing that for some reason i cant get over. Particularly as it mean't that if your a bad person you use a red lightsaber as opposed to just being one that vader had from when he was a jedi.

ThePutty posted:

rando calrissian should have been in KOTOR 2 as lando's ancestor who gives long, unskippable speeches about kreia's genius

:vince: I think you just justified all your postings.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Woolie Wool posted:

You're not building a balanced mission around a 17.6km warship, no matter how good the engine is--it's either going to be an I Win button or an under-gunned piece of poo poo. You'd need a game on a much, much larger scale than a space fighter sim.

I meant in empire at war, not x wing vs tie fighter.

quote:

All those random Jedi survivors and bullshit secret apprentices and Emperor's Hands and Jerec can all go gently caress themselves.

quote:

No, no, you see, Luke Skywalker swinging the lightsaber like a baseball bat is actually a classic example of the Wailing Jizz-Box form and not because Mark Hamill doesn't know anything about swordfighting because :goonsay:

Christopher Lee was the only one who had any idea what he was doing (notice how economical he is and how little he dicks around with stupid flourishes) and apparently "knowing your way around a sword" is itself a special lightsaber style that is perfectly balanced against the other styles using a bunch of arbitrary strengths and weaknesses.
code:
It is called Makashi
:goonsay:
because of course it is wapanese.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

kingcom posted:

:vince: I think you just justified all your postings.

hey man, empire at war is some serious poo poo

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
im permabanned poster wompastompa77

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

im permabanned poster wompastompa77

lol'd irl

E: isnt there actually a poster here named wampastompa too

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
hello I am darth badguy but I'm not the bad guy, that's count goodguy

see this is really clever because

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the jedi in the prequels dont seem very balanced to me, they were basically a bunch of spergs who were so disconnected from their surroundings that even with their magical prediction powers they couldnt tell they were being fooled by some old idiot right under their noses. maybe the truth is in the middle when it comes to the force

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Kreia can come off a little South Park sometimes - both sides suck! - but if you read the game as a whole, it tells a bit more of a story.

The worst EU content absolutely must be the kinect dance game - check out their take on the ROTJ Death Star II throne room confrontation. Watch for the emperor's intro around 2:00 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ

Edit: the emperor's unblinking stare is kind of out there

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

gohuskies posted:

Kreia can come off a little South Park sometimes - both sides suck! - but if you read the game as a whole, it tells a bit more of a story.

The worst EU content absolutely must be the kinect dance game - check out their take on the ROTJ Death Star II throne room confrontation. Watch for the emperor's intro around 2:00 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ

Edit: the emperor's unblinking stare is kind of out there

It turns out there are only 3 canon sources in Star Wars now - the movies, the tv series, and the Kinect Dance game. The villain in Episode 7 is going to be the random jedi guy who beat the Emperor in a dance-off and is now ruler of the Empire.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

babypolis posted:

the jedi in the prequels dont seem very balanced to me, they were basically a bunch of spergs who were so disconnected from their surroundings that even with their magical prediction powers they couldnt tell they were being fooled by some old idiot right under their noses. maybe the truth is in the middle when it comes to the force

yeah that was kind of the point, they moved away from being war like, and changed their light saber saber styles to be non fatal, and they only left when called on to be mediators for the most part for a long time. It'd be like taking a budist monk and then flying him to the white house every time you needed a peace treaty or tax policy mediated.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I like how the voor-kan poo-tang or whatever are literally the dark elder except somehow gayer.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

gohuskies posted:

The worst EU content absolutely must be the kinect dance game

Eh, I can forgive that - it's a dance game, it's supposed to be light and silly. All the really terrible stuff in the EU comes from stupid stuff being presented as deadly serious and dramatic.

Oh, I just remembered the thing I hate most in the EU - the way that Karen Traviss glories in the deaths of Jedi. In a book set during Order 66, she kills off a protagonist who comes across a clone trooper confronting a bunch of padawans (i.e. teenage Jedi). She throws herself forward to take the blow for ... the clone trooper. Yes, the genocidal adult soldier deserves more of our sympathy than the children who were taken from their families as infants to be raised in a strict religious group and are now defending themselves from being genocided. :argh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kotor ii owns if for no other reason than it's planescape torment in space

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hellsau posted:

It turns out there are only 3 canon sources in Star Wars now - the movies, the tv series, and the Kinect Dance game. The villain in Episode 7 is going to be the random jedi guy who beat the Emperor in a dance-off and is now ruler of the Empire.

They should have rolled out that video for the ep 7 trailer

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ThePutty posted:

it's a good thing the new movies are going to kill the EU forever

The EU will be back, and in greater numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ivor Biggun posted:

The EU will be back, and in greater numbers.

Disney might exert a modicum of control and consistency though

• Locked thread