Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

i sometimes think it would be fun to do community training things where u and other local coders get 2gether and talk about why maven owns and how to use it or why p-langs are poo poo for idiots. like professional to professional type deals. like maybe u could even form a guild to keep the plangers out of everyones hair.

the p-langers just woulnd't come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there's actually quite a bit of manufacturing here too because the southern rail lines went as far as sarasota forever and you have easy access to the gulf but that's not really my field

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the p-langers just woulnd't come

the hardcore p-langers are beyond help but you could save recent grads or willing converts.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
guys this is the hideout for programmers that are terrible, not the hideout that is terrible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

guys this is the hideout for programmers that are terrible, not the hideout that is terrible

why not both

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

bobbilljim posted:

guys this is the hideout for programmers

sure

bobbilljim posted:

not the hideout that is terrible

how do you have the first without the second

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

the hardcore p-langers are beyond help

shaggar was right

Shaggar posted:

but you could save recent grads or willing converts.

i hope shaggar is right :smith:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i donwloaded some random code from teh internet that enables teh flash memory controller, compiled it for my embedded platform and ran it. but it seems that it activated teh wrong flash controller. given that the controller id is wrong, should i change the controller id to the right one and just see if it works, or do you think this might brick the flash if i give it right controller + potentially wrong other values? tia

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol page 255. i got teh actual values, crisis averted. except now it doesnt recognise the mtd partitions on the nand for some reason.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
finally got round to trying intellij and holy poo poo this owns and I am never going to touch eclipse again if I can help it

I believe this may make yet another subject on which shaggar was right? idk I've forgotten to keep everyone's opinions up to date in yospos.xlsm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i do not like intellij

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

i do not like intellij

ah hell who cares, youre right anyway

i dont dislike intellij, but dont see why its so great

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress I knew I'd get it wrong

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it's good though, like it actually handles nullability in the standard library so you can return StringBuilder.toString() from a @nonnull method without getting a dumb warning like in eclipse

pram
Jun 10, 2001
only 90s kids will remember this one lovely ide

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

StringBuilder

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pram posted:

only 90s kids will remember this one lovely ide

vim?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

try 60s kids, and they barely remember it

ok i was joking about 60s but wow it really was released in the 90s huh :wtc:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
word perfect

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you of all people should be able to knock up good odds of whether you'll still have a job post-bubble

heroku is a straight-up b2b play. they will almost certainly continue to exist in some form after the bubble pops, you just gotta figure out whether that form includes you, personally

• what fraction of revenue comes from startups and the cloud of related pissant B2Bs that will disappear? (to a first approximation this is just gonna be all the small and mid-size businesses)

• after that fraction is gone, how many people are gonna have to get canned?

• after figuring that number, you think you're not in the top N% that gets retained?

Yeah I should be able to survive a while, but I'm not super aware of how things work at parent company Salesforce (which is alto B2B but super loving huge compared to Heroku), so I'm guessing in the grand scheme of thing, smaller divisions have been closed for far less.

My hope at that point (if it goes there) would be to hop on the cronyism train and find another job from a friend in a different sector of the industry that's not hit as bad.

Also I just came back home from a local user group and I had to repeat to someone many times that even if he uses MD5 2-3 times over a password that's still not good enough :v: (also I don't want to start passwordchat)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Yeah I should be able to survive a while, but I'm not super aware of how things work at parent company Salesforce (which is alto B2B but super loving huge compared to Heroku), so I'm guessing in the grand scheme of thing, smaller divisions have been closed for far less.

My hope at that point (if it goes there) would be to hop on the cronyism train and find another job from a friend in a different sector of the industry that's not hit as bad.

i forgot heroku got bought by salesforce. they're an enterprise saas behemoth with lovely paas dreams they can never realize. you're loving golden.

worst case scenario: bad raise

best case scenario: heroku replaces whatever their current lovely paas dream involves

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i forgot heroku got bought by salesforce. they're an enterprise saas behemoth with lovely paas dreams they can never realize. you're loving golden.

worst case scenario: bad raise

best case scenario: heroku replaces whatever their current lovely paas dream involves

Eeeh, I've seen it happen so often in corporations 'round here to just go "yeah your division's earning money, but we're just restructuring and it no longer fits the vision" and then they shut it down. Granted it's more often factories, but I don't tend to trust the safety of large employers that much when you're not their core business.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
OK so I'm maintaining some old asp.net web forms (ugh) and some of the poo poo is honestly just making me go WTf. I realize we learn lessons as we go but some poo poo makes me cringe.

Code behind calling stored procs. By passing an enum with the literal string for the name of the sproc to a thing that returns a datatable, not a biz object. Called dt, of course.

What the gently caress? Why even have a type system and do this in C#?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Eeeh, I've seen it happen so often in corporations 'round here to just go "yeah your division's earning money, but we're just restructuring and it no longer fits the vision" and then they shut it down. Granted it's more often factories, but I don't tend to trust the safety of large employers that much when you're not their core business.

salesforce fantasizes that PaaS is their core business

it's not, but you can't tell them that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
failsforce

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

salesforce fantasizes that PaaS is their core business

it's not, but you can't tell them that

Yeah I won't :ssh:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
One really cool thing that's really easy to overlook is how mobile a skill programming is. Yeah, the US (and maybe western Europe?) are a bit saturated with laundry pickup apps at the moment, but there's a pretty huge-ish chunk of the rest of the world whose networked services needs are not being met. So, even if the US goes pear shaped you can always pick up a copy of Pimsleur's Spanish and head to Chile. :ese:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Stringent posted:

One really cool thing that's really easy to overlook is how mobile a skill programming is. Yeah, the US (and maybe western Europe?) are a bit saturated with laundry pickup apps at the moment, but there's a pretty huge-ish chunk of the rest of the world whose networked services needs are not being met. So, even if the US goes pear shaped you can always pick up a copy of Pimsleur's Spanish and head to Chile. :ese:

Argentina cool too?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well, let's see, they're primarily known for beef and wine production, so...

pram
Jun 10, 2001
move to uragay

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Stringent posted:

Well, let's see, they're primarily known for beef and wine production, so...

OH poo poo I THOUGHT OF A GOOD QUESTION :q:

Character sets in nations where é isn't rare: what do they use?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pram posted:

move to uragay

i'm already there son, i am already there

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Space Whale posted:

OH poo poo I THOUGHT OF A GOOD QUESTION :q:

Character sets in nations where é isn't rare: what do they use?

Formerly ISO-8859-1 or some latin1 subset, now Unicode.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Space Whale posted:

Argentina cool too?

argentina lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stringent posted:

chile has approximately the gdp of louisiana, with a pitiful fraction of the consumer spending per capita. for perspective, louisiana spends more than half as much money per capita in tax dollars alone as chile has total consumer spending

can you imagine building a consumer-facing application that could, for example, only be useful to louisiana state and local government employees?

that's the market size you're targeting.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
which one?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
pundits love to talk about opportunities in emerging markets, but the truth is, if there's a special niche opportunity in chile, it's gonna be exploited by a chilean.

you're not gonna pay u.s. salaries or earn american venture capital returns targeting consumer niches in chile

the same is true if you plug in just about any other country name and demonym for "chile" and "chilean"

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i do not like intellij

m2e is piss trash and intellij is much more maven friendly

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're not gonna pay u.s. salaries or earn american venture capital returns targeting consumer niches in chile

the same is true if you plug in just about any other country name and demonym for "chile" and "chilean"

Given the predicate for this whole discussion was a set of conditions in the US so horrendous that someone of MononcQc's caliber would be looking for work, I just figured that whatever wages a foreign expert could eek out wherever would be better than getting eaten by the poor in the US, ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pundits love to talk about opportunities in emerging markets, but the truth is, if there's a special niche opportunity in chile, it's gonna be exploited by a chilean.

NOT A poo poo POST:

What's your purchasing power going to be like even if you don't get american wages? Doesn't money go further?

• Locked thread