Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Jamesman posted:

No-Eyes Man seems to be Reader. Other people are throwing out information about the character, and Marvel's Twitter is subtle-but-clever enough to suggest it as well.

I said this about 2 minutes after the episode ended, same page. Now I really feel like an uber dork...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry to dig this up but this guy doubled down so hard against the obvious that he pretty much deserves to be shamed.

I was certain we'd still have a couple of people after this show trying to spin some explanation that this has nothing to do with Inhumans because they never said the actual word.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
There are apparently a bunch of interviews that different sites did with the showrunners after viewing the mid-season finale and they confirmed that the show is doing Inhumans, and that will be the main driver of the second half of season 2.

Is it March yet?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I'm mad they killed Trip?

I'm not happy they killed Tripp either, but:

Dexo posted:

The Actor is literally on another show, and could only very rarely show up on this one.

I would have been a lot happier if they came up with some assignment to send him off on, akin to when Sam was out "buying groceries" (or was it Billy?)

In the end, though, someone had to die, and it had to be someone who meant something to Daisy. Being that B.J. Britt is a main character on another show, on another network, his character was the logical conclusion. :sigh:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I didn't know he was on another show until you guys mentioned it, is the thing. Anyhow I stand by my post, Trip with superpowers is way cooler than dead Trip.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CapnAndy posted:

I didn't know he was on another show until you guys mentioned it, is the thing. Anyhow I stand by my post, Trip with superpowers is way cooler than dead Trip.

He's not an inhuman though Nothing would have happened to him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Throwdown posted:

I said this about 2 minutes after the episode ended, same page. Now I really feel like an uber dork...

I don't understand the hint of that tweet.

Daisy Johnson nor her dad were Inhumans either, in the comics. So the precedent has been set for Marvel taking powered characters and making them Inhuman for the MCU.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

There are apparently a bunch of interviews that different sites did with the showrunners after viewing the mid-season finale and they confirmed that the show is doing Inhumans, and that will be the main driver of the second half of season 2.

Is it March yet?

Fuuuuuuck we have to wait that long? At least I have Agent Carter :swoon: and the Flash/Arrow to tide me over.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Mr. Hyde is an Inhuman, just that Daisy's mom was.

I hope we get Bucky to show up sometime to have a space adventure with her.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Fuuuuuuck we have to wait that long? At least I have Agent Carter :swoon: and the Flash/Arrow to tide me over.

4 week wait until Agent Carter starts, though...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't understand the hint of that tweet.

It's a reference to Black Bolt, the king of the Inhumans, whose superpower is his voice, which is so powerful, a single word from him can level mountains, so he normally doesn't speak at all.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did Tripp have a piece of the crystal sticking through his chest?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redshirt posted:

Yes, so it looks like even though the mists don't kill non-Inhumans the crystals still can.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dexo posted:

He's not an inhuman though Nothing would have happened to him.
Marvel's recently making a big deal about how there were tons of people just walking around not knowing they were descended from Inhumans, so like I said, putting out the idea early that not every potential Inhuman comes from a long family line of knowng what they are woulda been neat. But actor on another show etc. etc.

Also I just now put two and two together with Skye's real name being Daisy and her powers, goddammit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

e X posted:

It's a reference to Black Bolt, the king of the Inhumans, whose superpower is his voice, which is so powerful, a single word from him can level mountains, so he normally doesn't speak at all.

Boooooo.

redshirt posted:

Yup. When he hit it, the thing exploded, sending shrapnel into his chest, causing the usual turn to stone effect as a result. :(

CapnAndy posted:

Marvel's recently making a big deal about how there were tons of people just walking around not knowing they were descended from Inhumans, so like I said, putting out the idea early that not every potential Inhuman comes from a long family line of knowng what they are woulda been neat. But actor on another show etc. etc.

Also I just now put two and two together with Skye's real name being Daisy and her powers, goddammit.

What relation does the name Daisy have to do with vibration/seismic powers?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

e X posted:

No, Reader's powers is that he can read words and turn them into reality.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

ToastyPotato posted:

Boooooo.

Yup. When he hit it, the thing exploded, sending shrapnel into his chest, causing the usual turn to stone effect as a result. :(

What relation does the name Daisy have to do with vibration/seismic powers?

http://marvel.wikia.com/Daisy_Johnson_(Earth-616)

Daisy Johnson, aka Quake, super-powered Agent of SHIELD and daughter of a crazy, vicious doctor named Cal...

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 10, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MaximumBob posted:

Daisy Johnson, aka Quake, super-powered Agent of SHIELD and daughter of a crazy, vicious doctor named Cal...

Oh, I knew that much. I thought he was stating some other connection between Daisys and vibrations that I didn't get. We've been speculating she was Quake since her dad showed up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

MaximumBob posted:

Oh, I didn't even catch that they were making her dad Mister Hyde too, nice.

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh, I knew that much. I thought he was stating some other connection between Daisys and vibrations that I didn't get. We've been speculating she was Quake since her dad showed up.
Have you? God, I'm slow, apparently. What made you think he was Hyde, "crazy guy who is also a doctor" is still a pretty big leap.

Tsvi
Jul 13, 2006

Oy Vey
So it just dawned on me.

They killed Whitehall, but Ward and Agent 13 escaped.

You kill one head of the Hydra and two will rise in its place.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Skye shooting Ward was the best part of this episode and hilarious. Should've killed him off for real though instead of him running of with not-May.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tsvi posted:

So it just dawned on me.

33 :flashfact:

I think Ward and 33 are gonna go set up a rogue "we're pants-on-head crazy but think we're still helping SHIELD, look, we murdered a bunch of people for you!!!" thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Have you? God, I'm slow, apparently. What made you think he was Hyde, "crazy guy who is also a doctor" is still a pretty big leap.

I didn't make the connection initially myself, but I noticed a bunch of people posting it in this thread. I no longer remember what the theory was. It was pretty loose and there was plenty of reason to doubt it, since those characters aren't (or at least weren't) related to Inhumans in anyway before. I was doubtful but remained open to it, and it was basically 100% confirmed last episode during the dream sequence for a lot of people.

It boiled down to "what father daughter characters exist that Marvel has the rights to?" Then drawing the connection that Quake had to SHIELD and the fact that her dad was a "doctor", and how Skyedad had mood swings and was violent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

"Crazy guy who is a doctor and also has a daughter in SHIELD" is not much of a leap at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man this thread is confusing to follow sometimes but I think I finally understand why people have been calling Machlachlan's character Mr. Hyde.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dexo posted:

Cat Lady :pervert:

Tigra?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought he was stating some other connection between Daisys and vibrations that I didn't get.

Well, there's this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but there's only so many crazy doctors and remember that with the internet, every single one of those doctor characters is gonna get looked at just by trial and error. Eventually someone will get to Calvin Zabo and it all falls into place. "Bad guy who is also a doctor" isn't enough to go on, but if you're "Bad guy doctor who sometimes flies into fits of rage who also has a superhero SHIELD-agent daughter", that gives you enough to make a strong connection.

Tsvi posted:

So it just dawned on me.

Really nice observation, love it. :allears:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Just saw the episode a bit late due to a work event... well, my bad.

I continue to maintain that Feige et al have minimal creative involvement with this show, and that it's highly unlikely to ever "matter" as far as the films' narratives are concerned for that reason, but clearly I was being too dogmatically cynical and narrow-minded in presuming that that precluded any possibility of Inhumans elements being used at this point. I'll try to keep that in perspective for future episodes, and hopefully the writers know what they're doing; I remain skeptical about the merits of introducing Inhumans as a concept independently of the elements that have always defined them in 616 continuity, especially so far in advance of the likely introduction of said elements in the MCU. But perhaps they can pull it off.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Maybe the TV Universe is actually a real part of the MCU rather than a sideshow like you've been implying then? (Implication coming from the tone of your posts. I don't think you've actually used the word 'sideshow' much like the show has not used the word 'Inhuman')

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dexo posted:

Cat Lady :pervert:

I get more of a "quill" vibe from that shot. Like a hedgehog or porcupine

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Maybe the TV Universe is actually a real part of the MCU rather than a sideshow like you've been implying then? (Implication coming from the tone of your posts. I don't think you've actually used the word 'sideshow' much like the show has not used the word 'Inhuman')

I won't say it's wholly outside the realm of possibility, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Studios proper certainly draws and polices the boundaries of what this show is allowed to do, and evidently those boundaries aren't quite as confining as I had previously thought. But I'm far from ready to conclude that they play any active role in deciding what actually happens within those boundaries.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Barry Convex posted:

I won't say it's wholly outside the realm of possibility, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Studios proper certainly draws and polices the boundaries of what this show is allowed to do, and evidently those boundaries aren't quite as confining as I had previously thought. But I'm far from ready to conclude that they play any active role in deciding what actually happens within those boundaries.

I kept wanting Barry to eat poo poo when all the Inhuman stuff was happening, but looking over his posts has kinda softened me. He still might be right about the Inhuman lore being only lightly introduced. We might get a worldwide network of inhumans, but still no royal family, which kinda reduces the ohholyshit impact of inhumans on the show a touch.

I get the sense Marvel Studios had a tough time gauging whether the Inhumans (Attilan, Royal Family) could work as a feature film, and even if it could then how. Introducing the primary concepts via Agents slowly without touching upon the major touchstones may be the way to do it. All the backstory and exposition about what inhumans are, while still allowing the Agents show to focus on its own ongoing plot. This would allow a royal family movie that clocks in leaner and already recognizable to a larger segment of the public. Even people who don't watch Agents but like Marvel stuff will hear about Inhumans in passing.

Or they might go with the royal family and attilan full steam ahead :hellyeah: either way works.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Azhais posted:

Thorns probably then.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

The show (now shows) and movies pretty much operate under the same creative restrictions. Thor 2 couldn't spoil Cap 2 in anyway. Every movie is creatively restricted by Marvel Studios. They are the ones who decide what movies get made and what stories get told. The people writing the movies and directing them don't have anymore control than the people running AOS. Hence Edgar Wright quitting Ant-Man.

So yes, AoS has mandates that it has to follow. But so do the film makers churning out all the other movies. The only person probably sitting at or near the top is Joss Whedon himself with the Avengers films. He doesn't work on the solo films though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So that episode was pretty good, guys.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Pander posted:

I kept wanting Barry to eat poo poo when all the Inhuman stuff was happening, but looking over his posts has kinda softened me. He still might be right about the Inhuman lore being only lightly introduced. We might get a worldwide network of inhumans, but still no royal family, which kinda reduces the ohholyshit impact of inhumans on the show a touch.

I get the sense Marvel Studios had a tough time gauging whether the Inhumans (Attilan, Royal Family) could work as a feature film, and even if it could then how. Introducing the primary concepts via Agents slowly without touching upon the major touchstones may be the way to do it. All the backstory and exposition about what inhumans are, while still allowing the Agents show to focus on its own ongoing plot. This would allow a royal family movie that clocks in leaner and already recognizable to a larger segment of the public. Even people who don't watch Agents but like Marvel stuff will hear about Inhumans in passing.

Or they might go with the royal family and attilan full steam ahead :hellyeah: either way works.

I don't think anyone has said Royal Family will be in AoS. I think most people agree that they won't.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Azhais posted:

That comparison really petered out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The show (now shows) and movies pretty much operate under the same creative restrictions. Thor 2 couldn't spoil Cap 2 in anyway. Every movie is creatively restricted by Marvel Studios. They are the ones who decide what movies get made and what stories get told. The people writing the movies and directing them don't have anymore control than the people running AOS. Hence Edgar Wright quitting Ant-Man.

So yes, AoS has mandates that it has to follow. But so do the film makers churning out all the other movies. The only person probably sitting at or near the top is Joss Whedon himself with the Avengers films. He doesn't work on the solo films though.

Come back to me when Feige et al. talk about their involvement on the TV side of things (Agent Carter aside), or more significantly, when a TV-introduced plot point or character plays an important role in a film.

Again: Studios most certainly decides which stories can get told and which are off-limits for TV, and they have staff who do that sort of thing, much as they do for the MCU tie-in comics. But that's not the same thing as having a hands-on creative role in breaking story for the TV side.

Or let me put it another way: if Marvel Studios' films are one big interlocking puzzle, Agents of SHIELD is a separate puzzle that comes in a smaller box using similarly shaped pieces. It looks nice next to the bigger puzzle once they're both assembled, but it's not needed in any way to solve the bigger one.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I have become really impressed with this show. I'm sure some of it is Marvel fanboy-ism, but I'd like to think it's also just a really good series, too.

In particular Skye's actress is doing pretty well, she's come much further than I ever thought she would. I thought Marvel was crazy for casting some vapid burnout C-pop starlet but it's turning out great. Gotta admit a massive part of that is the writing, too. They could have made her totally pathetic and annoying, instead she loving put four rounds into Ward as soon as he turned his back, so awesome.

• Locked thread