Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Freedom of speech :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The west coast is so sterotypical it hurts lol

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

VERMONT: Pinterest

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

New Yorkers are thankful for having to pay $2000 for a cupboard under the stairs?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hadn't seen the work ethic one, geez.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Thunderstorms? I sorta get rain, but why thunderstorms?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I don't know the languages well enough to know if that's all in Catalan or Occitan.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

You can basically see the Bible Belt in this map (mercy, forgiveness, god's stuff, bootstraps).
And Greater Deseret as well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't know the languages well enough to know if that's all in Catalan or Occitan.

It's Occitan.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Neither, it's Aragonese.
I have no idea how to makes sense of this map though.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 9, 2014

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Map by the IHEU (International Humanist and Ethical Union) about freedom of thought focussing on laws against atheists, humanists and other non-religious people and groups"

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Wonder how Canada gets it worse than the US.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm guessing :quebec:

cebrail posted:

Neither, it's Aragonese.
I have no idea how to makes sense of this map though.

Shows what I know :negative:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
China and Cuba, terrible places to be an atheist.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

point of return posted:

Wonder how Canada gets it worse than the US.

Canada doesn't have the same freedom of speech the US is known for, it's more "say what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone"

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

ekuNNN posted:

"Map by the IHEU (International Humanist and Ethical Union) about freedom of thought focussing on laws against atheists, humanists and other non-religious people and groups"

That's... weird. Nordics? And Baltics, the known oppressers of the majority of their citizens? I have a hunch that this map might be just a little biased.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Valiantman posted:

That's... weird. Nordics? And Baltics, the known oppressers of the majority of their citizens? I have a hunch that this map might be just a little biased.

Might have something to do with national holidays? Also, I know that in Norway, if your parents were part of the Norwegian church, you're automatically part of it as well until you withdraw from it. I'm not sure if something like that would count against.

Edit: Was there any report accompanying that map, I'd be very interested in reading the criteria.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ekuNNN posted:

I really want to see the criteria that has Sierra Leone as an atheist's paradise and China as the exact opposite.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 9, 2014

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Patter Song posted:

China and Cuba, terrible places to be an atheist.

Yeah, this plus a couple of other things are triggering my bullshit alarm. Does anyone have an idea of how valid this map really is? Or at least, can someone give us an idea of what the various levels of "Discrimination" mean, so we know if "Severe/Systematic Discrimination" is actually pretty bad or if it's just a 10$ fine for screaming that god is dead in a public place?
-----
Edit:

Valiantman posted:

I have a hunch that this map might be just a little biased.

wikipedia posted:

The International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) is an umbrella organisation of humanist, atheist, rationalist, secular, skeptic, freethought and Ethical Culture organisations worldwide.[1] Founded in Amsterdam in 1952, in 2011 the IHEU consisted of 117 member organizations in 38 countries.

:v:

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 10, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

How is China a horrible place to be an atheist? Doesn't the Communist Party promote secularism?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Here is a link to the report. Apparently, Germany is a fundamentalist hellhole because a professor for islamic studies had his chair renamed after converting away from islam some years ago. Maybe humanist and atheist utopia Sierra Leone will give the poor guy asylum.

Reverse GIS gives "alligator distribution map" as a best guess for the map. Might as well be.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

waitwhatno posted:

Here is a link to the report. Apparently, Germany is a fundamentalist hellhole because a professor for islamic studies had his chair renamed after converting away from islam some years ago. Maybe humanist and atheist utopia Sierra Leone will give the poor guy asylum.

Reverse GIS gives "alligator distribution map" as a best guess for the map. Might as well be.

Okay, looking at the report, the scale seems to actually be a "freedom of thought" index, not an indication of discrimination against atheists.

Even so, some of the assignments don't make sense. Germany and Oman in the same category? :psyduck:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

If they think that deserves severe discrimination, then I'd be interested to hear their reasoning behind how the requirement to name a figure of worship in order to hold office only warrants a "Mostly Satisfactory" rating for the US.

Also, you know a site is good when "Complain to the UN" is one of the tabs on the site.

Edit: VVV You mind posting a link to this? I need to bask in the superiority uniqueness of my home state's culture compared to the other plebeian territories of the United States. :smug:

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 10, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, this plus a couple of other things are triggering my bullshit alarm. Does anyone have an idea of how valid this map really is? Or at least, can someone give us an idea of what the various levels of "Discrimination" mean, so we know if "Severe/Systematic Discrimination" is actually pretty bad or if it's just a 10$ fine for screaming that god is dead in a public place?
-----
Edit:

:v:

This is like that map of distinct US cultures that had New Jersey as a separate one but Appalachia stretched from Pennsylvania to Oklahoma.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

computer parts posted:

This is like that map of distinct US cultures that had New Jersey as a separate one but Appalachia stretched from Pennsylvania to Oklahoma.

Yeah, that's clearly wrong since Appalachia reaches as far as Southern Tier of New York.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

What were people on Facebook the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

That's kind of weird, Illinois.

in-laws? really illinois?

I'd say this map is bullshit but Texans being thankful for rain is 100% accurate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

in-laws? really illinois?

I'd say this map is bullshit but Texans being thankful for rain is 100% accurate.

This is not an exaggeration, for those reading this.

(Note: the storm in question failed to cause any rainfall )

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

waitwhatno posted:

Haha, yeah. When I saw China I pretty much knew that it was a bullshit map, still funny enough to post, though. Also, Netherlands being Green is funny, because we only scrapped our law against blasphemy in 2013.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jaramin posted:

Thunderstorms? I sorta get rain, but why thunderstorms?
Because midwestern thunderstorms are wonderful.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
gently caress it, it's a chart, but it's also definitely politically loaded too.

Popularity of the name Ellen.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TinTower posted:

gently caress it, it's a chart, but it's also definitely politically loaded too.

Popularity of the name Ellen.

Gee, I wonder what happened in 1997 that caused Ellen to become so unpopular!

It's a little sad to see that its popularity hasn't come back at all since then.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 10, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

QuoProQuid posted:

It's a little sad to see that its popularity hasn't come back at all since then.

Wikipedia posted:

Following "The Puppy Episode", Ellen was renewed for another season. ABC prefaced each episode of season five with a parental advisory warning. DeGeneres strongly criticized ABC for including the warnings, saying in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, "It was like this voice like you're entering some kind of radiation center. It was very offensive, and you don't think that's going to affect ratings?"
:wtc: Seriously? I knew there was controversy, but a loving parental advisory warning before the show? Well, Ellen's name may not have recovered, but she seems to be doing well otherwise:

(This chart may be a little bit out of date.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fade5 posted:

:wtc: Seriously? I knew there was controversy, but a loving parental advisory warning before the show? Well, Ellen's name may not have recovered, but she seems to be doing well otherwise:

For context, consider that 1997 was the first year that a majority of Americans approved of mixed race marriages. Also in 1997, 33% of the country approved of gay marriage, and less than 40% approved of people being gay, period.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

QuoProQuid posted:

Well, Ms. Page might have killed any chance of that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In all honesty it was already on its way down, Ellen's popularity was just enough to get it to spike back up in an unnatural way for a few years.

It's very much an old lady name.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

What were people on Facebook the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

That's kind of weird, Illinois.

I like how, aside from the websites, it's all abstract or natural stuff like rainbows or God or freedom, and then Michigan is thankful for electricity.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

I like how, aside from the websites, it's all abstract or natural stuff like rainbows or God or freedom, and then Michigan is thankful for electricity.

Makes sense to me, when I was a kid in Michigan we spent almost a week with no electricity in February and these days I'm sure as gently caress thankful for it, even if I live in a place now where it doesn't really get cold.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Soviet Commubot posted:

Makes sense to me, when I was a kid in Michigan we spent almost a week with no electricity in February and these days I'm sure as gently caress thankful for it, even if I live in a place now where it doesn't really get cold.

When I was a kid in Michigan, losing power was a pretty regular thing after any major storm, and I always really liked it. Lots of above ground lines, so one tree going down would be all it took.

It was funny when that blackout hit in 2003, though, because while it was just another power outage for us, it sounded like the end of the world for half the northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

In the summer (I think the 2003 thing was in the summer, I was overseas at the time) it's not such a big deal, although we lived way out in the country near Mt. Pleasant so if we lost electricity we lost our water too. In February it's really cold if you can't turn on the heater and your house has lovely insulation.