Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

You don't even need a 303. A 101 or 202 will do. Probably a system 100 or 700 as well since they'd be using similar circuitry etc.
Probably also the Apple II driven CMU synths. Again though, it's the quirks of the whole package, things like the way accents stack together on repeated steps or the particular differences between a 101 and a 303s slides (such that a 101 being sequenced by a 303 is an obviously and particular sound of it's own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
How can something possibly be acid if it can't recreate the archetypical bassline from [something that isn't Acid Trax]

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

99% of people couldn't tell a 303 apart from a TB-3 or Phoscyon or a sequenced Moog with a touch of distortion.

Or someone going "bow wowow woweeewow"

wayfinder posted:

Real talk my mom heard a track with a 303 in my car and thought that it was a barking dog sample

a real tb303 is actually like a pure bred dog so its barks and bowwows have better woofers

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Ask a casual listener what genre any five random songs are and you'll probably get 'electronica' or 'techno' especially in the states. Who gives a poo poo, see thread title.

Your Computer posted:

I admit I'm not an expert on acid, but wouldn't the recording equipment, pedals/effects, etc. affect the sound just as much or even more than the difference in 303 vs. clone do?

Yep when people talk about 303s they really mean 303s through a RAT on to a grody tascam whose heads are coated in resin. 808 really means an 808 through a dyna-mite or sampled to a SP1200 or foo.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Try us. You own a TB-303 even! Why did you buy a TB-303 if it doesn't matter?

Also I bought a Monomachine yesterday :captainpop:

Well it was really loving cheap. I would've immediately sold it though, it's a fetish until it becomes an albatross. Dump it while it works. I would've kept that 606 though. :v:
Monomachine gently caress yea.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I maintain that I'll probably end up selling it Summer 2016, though it's not really an albatross yet. The 606 WAS stupidly cheap, but I actually don't like the sound of the 606, so that's hardly a good reason to keep it.

I paid about 1000 less than the current ebay rate for a 303 in that condition. :v:

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

wayfinder posted:

God I hate the 303 and every little detail around it, its cult and its followers.

Bought one when it came out, gave it to a friend. No regrets.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Jesus loving Christ I picked a bad time to ask you geeks for advice. I have a TR8 and a TB3, and I'm not much of an autist so they're good enough for me.

Can anyone recommend me a relatively-compact, polyphonic synth that does sequences, arpeggios and evolving sounds well, to integrate into my live rig (which I described in my last post)? I'm leaning towards an Elektron A4 but I don't know why.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Jesus loving Christ I picked a bad time to ask you geeks for advice. I have a TR8 and a TB3, and I'm not much of an autist so they're good enough for me.

Can anyone recommend me a relatively-compact, polyphonic synth that does sequences, arpeggios and evolving sounds well, to integrate into my live rig (which I described in my last post)? I'm leaning towards an Elektron A4 but I don't know why.

A4s don't evolve well in my opinion. Most of the people I know who had one eventually flipped it for having a really thin sound.

I'd recommend a few more TB-3s.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Mister Speaker posted:

With keys or not?

PolyEvolver with keys, SuperNova with or without.

:getin:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mister Speaker posted:

If you don't want to go analogue I'd check out the Ultranova. It's about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the other things you've listed and actually sounds really good.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Fixed that for you, but I agree. I'd add: Make your own drat music, because that's more interesting.

edit: If you can say "I'm making an acid track" or "My new album is a trance album" you have a problem :)

edit2: That problem is that whatever you're making is probably not very interesting

Very true, electronic music is about being outside of the box, not getting locked in to one.
However, with acid being mostly just drums plus one synth and maybe some vocals involving the words acid and house, options are really limited.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I actually don't like the sound of the 606,

RUN IT THROUGH A DISTORTION PEDAL!

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 10, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Don't you tell me what to do :argh:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
What the thread did while moby pretended to be autobanned: made two albums worth of music, one of which actually got mastered and artworked and put up online for purchase, raised money for charity.
What the thread has done now that moby is no longer pretending to be autobanned: 2 full pages of pointless bickering over an unremarkable synth and a painfully boring, samey subgenre of techno.

It's you moby, you are to blame.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Dunno I reneged after the mastering slapfight and I mainly reregged to sell my mixer sooooo...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

lol moby

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I dunno what waffles is on about the A4 does all that fine. Get one, they're on sale! Join the cult.
Hell option- alesis micron, if you can get over the demonic UI it's multitimbral, very compact, very inexpensive and imo one of the best sounding VAs. It's best configured with a software editor, especially the arps/seqs but unlike other lovely to program synths you actually can do everything from the front panel.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Or a regular Ion, if you want a little more hands on control.
Also the Novation Nova is pretty good at these things.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I'm looking for a mixer to plug a bunch of synths into. Most of the ones I have found in my price range don't increase the number of stereo line inputs as they increase in size, they just add more and more mic preamps; the stereo inputs seem to max out at 3 or 4. Do mixers that just have a bunch of stereo line in channels even exist? I know I can just plug the two stereo channels into two of the mono channels but then I have to sync up the EQ/faders, which seems suboptimal.

or maybe i'm just approaching this wrong; i'm pretty new to this :shobon:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What you're looking for exists, typically in rackmount format. Try looking for "line mixer".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX1602

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

What you're looking for exists, typically in rackmount format. Try looking for "line mixer".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX1602

nice! I knew there must be some shibboleth that would get me the exact product i wanted. I guess i'm pretty much stuck with rack mount for this?

e: these also don't seem to have EQs -- should i care?

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, there are smaller modules like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4

But I have never seen a "desktop" format stereo line mixer.

e: Some of the rackmount ones have EQ. Depending on what you're plugging in, you might want it. Also, consider what the final medium is: if you're going into a computer, it might be better to buy an n-channel audio interface for your computer and mix in your DAW. Then you can add EQ/FX there.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 10, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah interestingly enough called line mixers :v:
You just missed a stock-clearing sale at JRR for the very good Tascam LM-8ST, they were down to like $180. Used stuff, I like the old Roland M-series there's a few different models varying in size and functionality. Fostex 2016, Tascam MM-series...

e;fb
Desktop line mixers- the old Sony MX broadcast mixers made great line mixers but they're the proverbial wire with gain. No EQ, no sends, just faders and LCR switch or pan on the later ones. They're cheap cause no one cares and I love mine for slamming drums.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 10, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got a 16 channel stereo line mixer with 2 Mic inputs, it's a rack mount but it's serving me well. I think Sizone has one too (Mackie LM3204). Can be had for a cheap.

As for mixer mixers, 16 mono channels equals 8 stereo instruments, or 5 stereo instruments and 6 monos, etc. If you don't need your stuff plugged permanently then you could just as easily get by with a non line mixer.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

if you're going into a computer, it might be better to buy an n-channel audio interface for your computer and mix in your DAW. Then you can add EQ/FX there.

yeah, i considered this, but right now i have this pathological idea of trying to do everything in hardware and then just recording the final mix on the computer. right now i'm still in the "tweakin' knobs and jammin'" stage of my electronic music ventures so having hardware would encourage me to learn more than just piping it in to the infinite flexibility of a DAW.

e:

As for mixer mixers, 16 mono channels equals 8 stereo instruments, or 5 stereo instruments and 6 monos, etc. If you don't need your stuff plugged permanently then you could just as easily get by with a non line mixer.

yeah this is basically the setup i have now, but i have a tiny behringer mixer with only two stereo inputs, both of which are currently occupied. once i get my electribe (ugh why do they keep pushing the ship date ahead) i'll need an additional stereo line in. in the interim i can just drop one of my synths down to mono and plug it into one of the mic inputs but i'd like to get something that has some slots open for future gear purchases :homebrew:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 10, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I found a Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO mixer for fairly cheap on Craigslist locally, any thoughts on it? It would be used for synths only pretty much (obviously) so I think that it would be a good get.

e: Not for recording, more for live jams and that sort of thing.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Dotcom just sent me a nice message about the Xmas tracks and asked about my studio set up. I don't think I've posted my kit before and seeing as I did a long-rear end explanation for him I thought I might as well chuck it here as well in case anybody was interested. Shout if you've any questions...

-----------------

Equipment wise, it was mostly hardware for the sounds, software for the mixing. But even with the mixing I imagined in my head a "set" studio and used the same plugins in the same chain in the same places partially to make mixing easier (i like limitations) and partly to keep things 'holistic'. All four tracks on that EP basically worked like this:

Sounds
TR-606
MC-202
TT-303
Machinedrum UW++xl or whatever. The big 'un.
Waldorf Blofeld
Moog Little Phatty
Korg Wavestation (VST)
Korg M1 (VST)
Field recording samples (radio, private recordings, etc.)

Effects
Reaktor
TDR Feedback Compressor
TDR Proximity
Variety of Sound ThrillseekerLA (LA Compressor)
Variety of Sound Baxter EQ (Buss EQ)
Variety of Sound NastyVCS (Console Strip)
Variety of Sound ThrillseekerXTC (Exciter? Kinda I guess.)
Vladg/Sound Limiter No.6

Routing
TR-606 and 202 or 303 go into one channel each of the Aphex. The 606 kick drum is fattened up from its usual weak-sauce plop into a tight 808-like bass. The 202 or 303 have w/e they need.

All beats and bass went into Buss A after indiv. EQ & TDR compression.
Buss A has NastyVCS, Baxter EQ and Proximity in that order. The whole thing has a High Cut filter at about 5-6k depending with a tiny hint of resonance.

All melody, pads, ambience etc go into Buss B.
Buss B has Reaktor (running a self-made detuner/wow/flutter ensemble mashed together from other ensembles) into a compressor side-chained from wherever the kick drum is. That goes into another incidence of Proximity.

Master Buss has Thrillseeker LA and XTC. The whole lot is bounced to tape. Then through Limiter No.6. Your versions simply missed off that last stage.

So nothing particularly complicated. And all free software apart from Reaktor. I've just picked up Absynth as well on sale so that'll be getting used a lot soon.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

net work error posted:

I found a Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO mixer for fairly cheap on Craigslist locally, any thoughts on it? It would be used for synths only pretty much (obviously) so I think that it would be a good get.

Mackie VLZ desks are pretty much the standard desks for electronic liveacts, so get it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

net work error posted:

I have the Mackie 1402-VLZ3, the updated version of the 1402-VLZ PRO; I can't speak for the differences between the two (Mackie's site gives you EQ graphs and not surprisingly recommends the newer model), but I love mine. They're really flexible in the sound routing options once you dig a bit.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Mr. Glass, buy my dirt cheap mixer from the gear trade thread. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I have actually had people come up and tell me they're huge fans of my music and on one occasion a high as poo poo dude followed me around a nightclub freaking out that Moby was there.

I wear contacts now and that kind of stopped it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

I've got a 16 channel stereo line mixer with 2 Mic inputs, it's a rack mount but it's serving me well. I think Sizone has one too (Mackie LM3204). Can be had for a cheap.

Not me. The only mixer I have right now is a homemade 8 channeil number I never use. I'm a major propoponent of the audio jntergace to daw approach. You -really- only need a stereo pair of inputs for recording. Even if they have an aux output, my synths still usually make more channels worth of noise than they have separate outputs for, so I would have to record them a track at a time anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I prefer an all hardware approach but I'm weird like that. I code all day so PCs are the last thing I want to use when I'm chilling out sand jamming with friends. My Korg D888 recently died and I replaced it with a Tascam DP24 which has been amazing so far

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I prefer an all hardware approach but I'm weird like that. I code all day so PCs are the last thing I want to use when I'm chilling out sand jamming with friends

oh good, i'm glad i'm not alone. :hfive:

e: the DP-32SD (apparently the DP-24 is discontinued) looks rad as hell. it looks like you can connect a maximum of 4 stereo instruments for simultaneous recording (since there are 8 jacks); is my understanding correct?

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 10, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have actually had people come up and tell me they're huge fans of my music and on one occasion a high as poo poo dude followed me around a nightclub freaking out that Moby was there.

Oh now I get it. For a minute I was actually a bit excited too. Yeah you do look a lot like him. I have one buddy who keeps telling me I look like Andy C but that's way more off the mark; I just wear baseball hats and headphones and don't say much.

Thanks for the advice for my live rig, guys. I'm still kind of torn on options - do I want a keyboard that I probably won't ever use? Are extra outputs important or will I just eat a mono out from my interface, or simply leave the Banshee talkbox at home? I think I need to go back to my old ways and spend an afternoon at Moog or L&M testing out gear and irritating the employees.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

For my limited live set use and experience I like using Ableton for midi clips with a Launchpad. Yeah it's not great for on the spot improvisation but it's pretty much made for that kind of stuff.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

net work error posted:

I have one of these and I like it a lot. You can get some cool distortion from the mono preamps and the mute bussing is really handy. I don't like that you only have mono outs for the sends and I wish there were more stereo channels but those are my only real complaints.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I admit this isn't really relevant to the synth thread per se, but it's bonerjamz-related so I'll just post it here..

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/cheesy30

Been doodling on this for a couple of days now and I'm well and truly stuck (like always). I've got a synth brass/trumpet that I intend to use as a lead of some sort, but I can't find a melody that fits. Also, structure. Like, I guess you could call that intro/verse/chorus/??/chorus but at this rate it'll end up as a <2min track.

I suck at this whole "making full length tracks" business :( Any and all feedback appreciated.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I really dig the cheese vibe on this. If you're having a hard time making a full track just copy a track you like in the same genre to your arrangement (mute the channel) and splice up its build-up in into the specific parts (intro, chorus, verse, etc.) and match your parts to those.

Also, since I was stupid enough to trash the source file for my bonerjamz track, this is the final:
https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/bafficolo-1

But I'm in the flow now, so I guess I'll just make another to go with it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sjoewe posted:

I really dig the cheese vibe on this. If you're having a hard time making a full track just copy a track you like in the same genre to your arrangement (mute the channel) and splice up its build-up in into the specific parts (intro, chorus, verse, etc.) and match your parts to those.
Thanks! I've (more or less successfully) tried that approach before, but more than often I end up having trouble finding something in the same genre (the stuff I like the most kinda falls in between genres). Anyone got any cheesy suggestions for this one? :cheeky:

Sjoewe posted:

Also, since I was stupid enough to trash the source file for my bonerjamz track, this is the final:
https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/bafficolo-1

That's pretty cheesy, alright! I think I recognize the choir, what did you use for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I suck at this whole "making full length tracks" business :( Any and all feedback appreciated.

Same but recording anything at all.
Dude I want to drive my twincharged white with gold pinstripe MR2 through your track, with the t-tops off.
Also want to say that the bonerz-est thing to have is bass slides and trills.