Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Echeveria posted:

How long do you figure an open can of chipotle in adobo is good for in the fridge?

A long time if sealed in Tupperware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Echeveria posted:

How long do you figure an open can of chipotle in adobo is good for in the fridge?

I've kept some around for a couple of weeks and haven't had any issues. I suspect when it goes bad, it'd be in the form of visible mold.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've stored chipotladobo in tupperware for like two months. It's super acidic, so it's relatively safe to store long term, I would think. I make huge batches and eat them for months wherever I think a spicy, tangy, smoky bite would be helpful.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FaradayCage posted:

I've heard conflicting reports, so I just freeze the open can in a ziplock and thaw at room temp whenever I need more. If repeated thawing/freezing worries you, I would blend the whole mess into a paste, freeze em in ice cube trays and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

do this

or you know, just buy another can since they're like .69 cents

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or man up and store it in your mouth or in your pot of chili.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
People use less than a whole can for a single pot of chili? :confused:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

mindphlux posted:

Ha! The only place I've been able to find them here, they cost $5.99.

I really like the flavour of them but I'm a bit of a spice sissy. And I've only made batches of chili using about 500g of meat, which ends up being about 4 servings.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Martello posted:

Some of us have to cook for people who consider anything hotter than a bell pepper to be "spicy." :negative:

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Martello posted:

I think a whole can makes it too smoky.

Tastes too much like BBQ instead of chili.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

For those who like extremely spicy, healthy food (and because I feel compelled to post this every time chipotle in adobo is mentioned):

Make this recipe. It's delicious, and do as I did and misread "1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped" as "1 can chipotle in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped". Use the whole loving thing, sear your taste buds off, and poo poo fire for a week. It was totally awesome and I'd definitely do it again.

It's technically a vegan recipe but I used chicken stock instead of vegetable stock because gently caress that. I also used waaaaaaaaay more garlic than the recipe calls for, and stick blended it into a homogeneous puree. Good poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

do this

Where do you live that you can get them that cheap? I have a hard time finding them for two bucks as it is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Where do you live that you can get them that cheap? I have a hard time finding them for two bucks as it is.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, Missouri and get them for under a buck at Walmart.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

kittenmittons posted:

Some of us have to cook for people who consider anything hotter than a bell pepper to be "spicy." :negative:

Gotta train em. My wife used to hate spicy food but after two years of eating my cooking and making her own cooking spicier and spicier, she can actually eat a hot buffalo wing without crying. So a couple years from now she'll be able to handle adult spicy.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CowboyKid posted:

I've had good luck with rinsing the adobo sauce off of the chipotles before throwing them in. I agree the flavor of the sauce can be a bit overpowering.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The smoke should be in the peppers. The sauce is pretty much just paprika and vinegar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dis astranagant posted:

The smoke should be in the peppers. The sauce is pretty much just paprika and vinegar.

Adobo should contain, at the very least, onions, garlic, tomato, and vinegar. I don't have a store bought can handy so I can't check, but I can't imagine something that anemic tasting like that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put the whole can of chipotle and sauce in a blender and puree, then store in a jar.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Put on a big pot this morning for the first time in yonks. Pacing around, waiting for it to cook. This evening's going to be good.

Ended up going with a mix of ancho peppers and jalapeno peppers. Tomatoes - but no beans! I'm just a little bit of a heathen.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My can of chipotles has been covered and in the fridge for about a month. Smells fine, no mold, use or go get a new can (I have to go across town to get a new can)?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm mostly a GWS lurker but come back here every winter for assists on a delicious pot. Last year I had a bunch of friends over and it was unanimously the best pot of chili they've ever had. Tip o' the cap, thread.

Also just could not resist adding to the laughs at that reddit chili, holy goddamn poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CowboyKid posted:

I made a small pulled pork with a whole can of chipotles in adobo and my piss smelled like campfire smoke for a whole day.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

I made a small pulled pork with a whole can of chipotles in adobo and my piss smelled like campfire smoke for a whole day.

Oh this is a really good idea. Could you post or pm me the recipe?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Echeveria posted:

My can of chipotles has been covered and in the fridge for about a month. Smells fine, no mold, use or go get a new can (I have to go across town to get a new can)?

Use it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I did, and they were fine. I wish I could fine them somewhere closer to me. And cheaper.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Echeveria posted:

Oh this is a really good idea. Could you post or pm me the recipe?

It was basically season a 3lb pork butt with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, sear it, throw in the can of chipotles (basically coat the top of the butt) and two chopped onions and like 4 seeded serranos. In the oven at 250-300 for 3-4 hours.

Rip apart and make tacos and nachos out of it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

No fluids?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Echeveria posted:

No fluids?

A butt will give off a ton of fluids on its own when cooked with the lid on.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Is this a thing that happens with chipotles in adobo because I used a whole can in my last chili and my piss was distinctly smoky-smelling for about as long as that batch lasted

Like I wasn't even trying to smell my pee it was just very aromatic

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

Is this a thing that happens with chipotles in adobo because I used a whole can in my last chili and my piss was distinctly smoky-smelling for about as long as that batch lasted

Like I wasn't even trying to smell my pee it was just very aromatic

Well, the whole point of chipotles is that they're smoked in the drying process, so they pick up a lot of it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I think campfire smoke is probably a step up from ammonia, don't see the issue here.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Zeno-25 posted:

Try using leftover chili for chili dogs and Cincinnati style over spaghetti (just don't use Cincinnati style seasonings :barf: ).

Chili dogs rule. As do chili fries.

Hell I will sometimes do a little leftovers with a fried egg on top and some good toast. Chili rules.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

is this the thread where someone posted a boss rear end chili recipe then screamed AM I A MAN NOW DAD?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made some chili powder tonight out of what dried chilies I had, so-
1 Ancho
2 Pasilla Negro
1 Guajillo
2 Chipotle
~2 cayenne
~1 habanero

The cayenne and habenero were sliced then dried so estimated the quantity. Until today I've only made the Alton Brown recipe so I'm anxious to try it.

Also, I threw the cayenne and habenero in the skillet with everything else to toast, don't ever, ever, do that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I made chilli today and I'm really struggling to get it really hot due to how pathetic the fresh peppers I can get are. I had 5 red chillies which is what they're called in the supermarket, about the heat of a jalapeno and 5 scotch bonnets for fresh peppers. Then had 5 dried habaneros, 2 chipotle, 2 guajillo, 1 mulato, 1 ancho and about 4 de arbols since I was running out of dried peppers. 3 chipotles in adobo too. I don't really want to put my entire amount of dried habaneros in so any suggestions on getting it hotter? I'm looking for fresh habanero level heat.

I'm in the UK which is part of the problem with getting fresh peppers

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Put more fat in your chili? Capsaicin is more soluble in oils/alcohols than water, so you might be able to get more mileage out of the chilies you do have by using fattier meat.

EDIT: Also try using beer as the majority or only added liquid. If you're going to add tomato use paste instead of whole, crushed or pureed versions.

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 8, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I tried some of that chili powder in soup and it's quite tasty with a little more heat than AB's recipe which what I wanted.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've been itching to make some chili for the last month, but my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick, and meat in general has been really expensive. So, I caved and we're now apparently doing tofu chili with soy chorizo. Yeah... I'm trying to make the best of it. Any recommendations or recipes that you guys can recommend? I've got the cubed up tofu marinading in some really good Worcestershire sauce and oil right now to give it at least some kind of flavor. I'm used to doing the typical chunky style chili with stew beef, so I'm looking to keep it similar to that sort of style, but probably with slightly more lean towards the "mex" side of tex/mex.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

neogeo0823 posted:

my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick

sever

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've been itching to make some chili for the last month, but my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick, and meat in general has been really expensive. So, I caved and we're now apparently doing tofu chili with soy chorizo. Yeah... I'm trying to make the best of it. Any recommendations or recipes that you guys can recommend? I've got the cubed up tofu marinading in some really good Worcestershire sauce and oil right now to give it at least some kind of flavor. I'm used to doing the typical chunky style chili with stew beef, so I'm looking to keep it similar to that sort of style, but probably with slightly more lean towards the "mex" side of tex/mex.

what do you normally do for the "chili" part of your chili?
oh and use beef broth/bouillon maybe?

and I'm sorry..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've been itching to make some chili for the last month, but my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick, and meat in general has been really expensive. So, I caved and we're now apparently doing tofu chili with soy chorizo.

Make sweet potato chili, don't use stupid meat substitutes.