Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I suppose I just mostly don't want to buy unplayable garbage.
Thanks!
Xrd is in no way unplayable garbage, trust me.

also it has a character who sets up pool balls that he hits with his pool stick. that's his fighting style. playing pool on a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Xrd is hella good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Xrd is a good game and I cant wait to buy it

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

oblomov posted:

That would be me! Never had an arcade stick and kind of want one now since I have a ton of fighting games all of a sudden on PS3/PS4. Figure it would be kind of fun playing with the arcade stick vs usual pad.

Oh yeah. Well get a load of this pal. Get ready for a loving truth bomb. A Hiroshima style truth bomb to just... blow you the gently caress away.

It is fun. You'll enjoy yourself. A LOT.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

Xrd is in no way unplayable garbage, trust me.

also it has a character who sets up pool balls that he hits with his pool stick. that's his fighting style. playing pool on a dude.

im debating whether to wait until they put Zappa in it or make some announcement about how the expansions are going 2 be handled. I think I've bought like 6 different iterations of GGXX across different consoles and game updates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the expansions will probably just be handled like BlazBlue/P4A. New games come out, some of them might cost less than $60.

Probably less versions than XX had, though. Patches and DLC exist.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Xrd has superior waifus.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Supposedly the Persona stick is in really low quantities, and I'm not sure if MadCatz will be making any more of them. (Pretty sure they're special edition), so if you want to change your mind then do it quick.

Gah... you are killing me. Going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Oh yeah. Well get a load of this pal. Get ready for a loving truth bomb. A Hiroshima style truth bomb to just... blow you the gently caress away.

It is fun. You'll enjoy yourself. A LOT.

I really hope so. Have some very fond memories of SFII in the arcades a long time ago.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Xrd has superior waifus.

oh sweet news about jam !!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
xrd is the most fun ive had playing fighting games in almost 8 years

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oblomov posted:

Gah... you are killing me. Going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

I mean you'll be happy with either one of them, I'm just giving you a heads up.

Right now I'm waiting on a new debit card to come in the mail so I can order one of the Xrd sticks, and I'm just praying they don't run out before it comes in.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Lessail posted:

oh sweet news about jam !!

Oh yah when you win with Jam does she still bend over so you can see her panties this is really important to me

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

i like p4au (Persona 4: The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold)
will i like xrd?

I dont play a lot of fighting games but I do have a weekly get together where everyone is worse than me.

Persona 4 Arena and Blazblue are both fine anime games, but both are only imitations of the truth that is Guilty Gear. P4A and BB are the shadows on the cave wall cast from Guilty Gear. Guilty Gear is the ideal, the capital F Form that those other games aspire to.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Glagha is correct, you might not have realized it, but when you were playing those games you, like many of us, were just waiting for Guilty Gear to come out

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Glagha is correct, you might not have realized it, but when you were playing those games you, like many of us, were just waiting for Guilty Gear to come out

It's true. I picked up Blazblue back in the day simply because I had an itch that only GG could scratch.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
guilty gear has like, the lowest amount of set play in any competitive fighting game next to marvel 2

millia aand now ramlethal being the exception here, the former being designed to work really hard to earn set play

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

guilty gear has like, the lowest amount of set play in any competitive fighting game next to marvel 2

millia aand now ramlethal being the exception here, the former being designed to work really hard to earn set play

This is probably just me but I'm not familiar with that term. What is set play?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
an optimal way of making a series of decisions, basically the more set play, the less decision you're making per opportunity to make one

for example as sol after a c.Lp you can do

wild throw
5k (to beat jump/as a frame trap)
wait 2s (also frame trap)
more jabs into the 2s frame trap
etc etc

in gg, more of those decisions are actually useful because theres not one "best thing" to do in a matchup, so you see a much larger variety of choices, player variation and how matches play out, which in turn, ends up making the game harder to "solve" and gives you a lot more room to do cool poo poo.

compare sol rushing down in a xrd match video to a narukami in p4a, the amount of different things a sol will do in 10 matches is insane compared to narukami's 2a 5a 5a run up divesword poo poo that has about 5 whole decisions to make.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Garrand posted:

This is probably just me but I'm not familiar with that term. What is set play?

dont listen to that guy, he throws out buzzwords to try to sound smart.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
wow exposed

rip the fighting game thread

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Watch Klaige's youtube channel. It has GG tutorials, and he breaks down a top 8 evo side tourney. Helps understand things like baiting burst and why people do what they do.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

dont listen to that guy, he throws out buzzwords to try to sound smart.

i could have said "the highest wealth of decision trees" which is even more buzzwordy but also correct!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
or "deep". deep works.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gammatron 64 posted:

That doesn't happen at mine (Lost Ark) because the owner has TEs on every console and the consoles are locked in a cabinet and you can't plug your own in.

The part where this gets bad though is on actual cabs for Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.

By default, BlazBlue is

B C D
A

But a lot of people, including me, prefer this layout (would use this on Marvel 3, too):

A B C
D

On a console this isn't so bad, but doing a BB tourney on a cab where everyone has a different layout... hoo boy.

Then you got Guilty Gear which is

K S HS
P _ D

and then various different arrangements of that.

Like really, having short on top and jab on the bottom completely fucks with my brain and I just can't do it. Up is down, left is right, cats are dogs.
I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure BlazBlue cabinets right back to CT let you pick between the Type-A and Type-B layouts from the character select screen, and I don't think I ever saw anyone pick Type-A.

Also re: stick chat. Pads wear out my thumb so I like sticks, but not for Tekken. Claw grip 4eva

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

or "deep". deep works.

The word you were looking for was 'vortex'.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm so jealous of the people who got the Japanese version of Xrd and are playing it already. Just... six... more...days...

Question Mark Mound posted:

I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure BlazBlue cabinets right back to CT let you pick between the Type-A and Type-B layouts from the character select screen, and I don't think I ever saw anyone pick Type-A.

Also re: stick chat. Pads wear out my thumb so I like sticks, but not for Tekken. Claw grip 4eva

OK, that's cool. I've never actually played BB or GG on a real cab and not a console. Have they even gotten US arcade releases? The only times I've ever played BlazBlue in an arcade was on a console masquerading as a cabinet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm so jealous of the people who got the Japanese version of Xrd and are playing it already. Just... six... more...days...

OK, that's cool. I've never actually played BB or GG on a real cab and not a console. Have they even gotten US arcade releases? The only times I've ever played BlazBlue in an arcade was on a console masquerading as a cabinet.
Played one in London before the console version was out and I'm 90% sure it has that option. Sadly, the buttons weren't hooked up right to the cabinet at the time so NEITHER layout was correct. Had a credit on ChronoPhantasma in Osaka earlier in the year and I'm sure it had the layout select.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Better looking versions of those screenshots of Nitro Blasters: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201412/11067516.html

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's at gamestop today supposedly.

*mumbles something about decision trees and average branching factors*

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
"Microsoft Gathering Community Opinions on Porting Killer Instinct to PC": http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/10/microsoft-gathering-community-opinions-on-porting-killer-instinct-to-pc/

SF5 got KI devs sweating.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
KI might be worth a buy on Steam.

99% off sale. No more.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Do these people have stocks invested in Microsoft or something? Or are they just terrified that they really did waste hundreds of dollars on an awful console?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Fruitsnacks posted:

"Microsoft Gathering Community Opinions on Porting Killer Instinct to PC": http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/10/microsoft-gathering-community-opinions-on-porting-killer-instinct-to-pc/

SF5 got KI devs sweating.

Which is funny since no one cared/played KI even when it came out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Which is funny since no one cared/played KI even when it came out.

We've got a dedicated group of people in our scene who play it, about the same amount of people who play the anime flavor of the month (UNIEL)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Cross posting from the Xrd thread, but supposedly Gamestops will start selling it tomorrow as there is no street date. A guy in my local FGC is a manager at one and got an email saying there is no street date from corporate. So have fun.

Any confirmation on whether or not this is true?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

inthesto posted:

Any confirmation on whether or not this is true?

It's store to store. Bunch of people in my group got it from different stores, someone in the Xrd thread was turned away.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

40 OZ posted:

It's more or less a fact that pad > stick for tekken. Thumb/pad faster than wrist/stick, game with super fast movement, etc.

totes a fact.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

As someone who's pretty much only played SF (and some UMvC3), how different/difficult would it be to learn to play Tekken 7? Much like last gen, I don't really plan on buying any consoles for this generation and am basically looking for PC fighting games with an actual playerbase and, hopefully, some decent netcode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Do we have a Xrd thread somewhere? I don't think we have a Xrd thread somewhere.

Just wondering if Xrd was coming out on PC any time soon? From what I gathered, it's probably not but I wanted to goonfirm.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Garrand posted:

As someone who's pretty much only played SF (and some UMvC3), how different/difficult would it be to learn to play Tekken 7? Much like last gen, I don't really plan on buying any consoles for this generation and am basically looking for PC fighting games with an actual playerbase and, hopefully, some decent netcode.

Completely different game so past experiences with 2D fighters aren't all that helpful and Tekken is kinda up there in the "you kinda need to just know this stuff to play it decently" department.

Not trying to scare you off or anything, but yeah it's unlike those games and kinda hard at the same time.

• Locked thread